Start by marking “Blue Camellia” as Want to Read:
Blue Camellia

Blue Camellia

"To build a great empire from the pioneer land of Louisiana took a faith and a will as difficult to possess as a blue camellia. In this, one of Frances Parkinson Keyes' finest novels, determined men and valiant women wrest from the land a mighty tradition. The story of Brent and Mary Winslow is an epic of America. In a coutnryside rich with a French, Indian, and Negro ...more
Published December 1st 1974 by Pocket (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Camellia, please sign up.

Muriel Schwenck All books by Frances Parkinson Keyes are squeaky clean.

Judy
Aug 10, 2010 Judy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans

Frances Parkinson Keyes had six top 10 bestsellers between 1945 and 1957. I have read them all. Blue Camellia was #5 in 1957. Most of her novels are historical fiction written in the style of women writing for women readers, though almost every book has at least one strong female character who defies convention. She produced over 40 novels in her career and I am happy that I did not have to read all of them.

The River Road was my favorite with Blue Camllia as a second favorite. It is based on t
Adrienne
Jun 20, 2008 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
The one novel I've so far found to be an authentic story of the life on the prairies of Louisiana. Loved every word because within its pages are the founding of my hometown, surrounded - of course - by rice fields.
Linda
Apr 04, 2013 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was published in 1957 and took place in the late 19th century. I have read it at least twice before. It was the story of a family who moved from Illinois to Louisiana and became involved in rice growing. The characters were portrayed as fairly typical for that era and they were my least favorite aspect of the book with the exception of the Cajun characters. I found them very lively and real. Without exception, I found the Winslows annoying and flat.

The subject matter was the most intere
Jun 03, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A friend gave me a copy of this that she found at an estate sale. One evening, I pulled it off and began reading...I really enjoyed this book which is told on a grand scale. It is about the life of one family who moves to Louisiana to find a better life in the late 19th century. I was particularly drawn to the Cajun characters with their simple, yet deep faith and traditions. It was very interesting to learn about the way life was in Louisiana for a farmer starting out...The main characters were ...more
Susannah
Nov 16, 2013 Susannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Amazing work, a story so skillfully crafted that its social anachronisms seem charming and quite forgiveable in the context of their time. Powerful and based loosely on historical facts, the story of a woman who found her own way in life and carved a niche for herself that, instead of rejecting family and society, carefully selected the finest yields and stoutest promise, enfolded a heart full of love and wisdom with the best portions of her heritage and fortune to triumph over her personal ...more
Muriel Schwenck
May 26, 2014 Muriel Schwenck rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this since I was about 20. I remember it as a great tragedy. Women in Keyes novels usually suffer a great deal from an unfortunate love, and this is one of her best. Great descriptions of landscape, gardening, rice farming, Cajun life and cooking. And camellias!
Highly recommended.
Pdswhite
Oct 03, 2009 Pdswhite rated it liked it
I think that I have read all of Ms. Keyes books. And although they were all read about 40 years ago the first time, I have reread many of them. This was not my most favorite of them. And the reason I know that is that the plot does not stand out for me or the characters.
Jamie
Sep 02, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
A good story, though not an unusual one. Pretty much the same "woman falls in love with a man she can't have" sort of story, but I liked the setting very much and the ending pleased me, as it was not the expected one.
Tina
Apr 13, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
This book tells of the beginning of the city of Crowley and the surrounding Acadia Parish. This book is fiction but I'm sure there are facts there. Makes me think of my ancestors and how they lived in the 1800's.
Dawn Galland
Feb 06, 2014 Dawn Galland rated it it was amazing
Knew about this book since I was young but had never read it. It was a very good book. I'm from the area around Crowley so could relate to the area and the people.
Sasha
Sasha rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2008
Donna Melton
Donna Melton rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Karen-Leigh
Karen-Leigh rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Joanne Moyer
Joanne Moyer rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2011
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2008
Sheri Horton
Sheri Horton rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2009
Karen Siddall
Karen Siddall rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2008
Lisa Discenza
Lisa Discenza rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Roberta
Roberta rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2012
Pollylbeck
Pollylbeck rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2009
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2009
Christene Cartwright
Christene Cartwright rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Pat Hinds
Pat Hinds rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Joan Von
Joan Von rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015