Start by marking “The Reluctant Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Dragon

The Reluctant Dragon

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,366 Ratings  ·  204 Reviews
In this beloved classic story, a young boy befriends a poetry-loving dragon living in the Downs above his home. When the town-folk send for St. George to slay the dragon, the boy needs to come up with a clever plan to save his friend and convince the townsfolk to accept him. This story first appeared as a chapter in Grahame's Dream Days and was first published as a separat ...more
Published September 1st 1938 by Holiday House (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Dragon

Melanti
Jan 05, 2016 Melanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really cute story.

Though, I have to wonder if a modern child is going to get all the humor that the original child audience was able to get. They'll still think it' funny, of course, but some of the humor is more specific to the era that it was written.

For instance, when the dragon says "You must tell him to go away at once, please. Say he can write if he likes, but I can't give him an interview. I'm not seeing anybody at present." the modern kids are going to get that the dragon is just goin
Jan
Jul 10, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing
Kenneth Grahame is, of course, much better known for the Wind in the Willows. This book is an almost unknown gem by comparison. Kids and adults love dragons, and this one is drawn with such humour and wit that he is totally adorable. As a child I could never get enough of this book, and my daughter and her children are the same. The language will stretch a younger child but it is refreshing to have a child's book that does not 'dumb down' the writing. The illustrations are a delight and it is a ...more
Jan 02, 2017 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons, 2017-read, kidlit
Fun picture book with gorgeous illustrations & an old world European charm
Shanna Gonzalez
Jun 27, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-08-12
The Reluctant Dragon is a mild-mannered specimen of his breed who, unlike the "active and earnest" fellows who used to charge around battling knights, has survived long enough to develop his passion for poetry. He is befriended by an intelligent young shepherd boy, who is placed in an awkward position when the villagers discover the dragon's presence. Although the dragon has harmed no one, the villagers are so aroused that they call on Saint George to battle this "pestilential scourge." When Sai ...more
Megan Larson
Jul 28, 2012 Megan Larson rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-and-ya
What a clever twist on a dragon tale. The shepherd boy is such a great reader of fairy tales that he takes the advent of a dragon to his hometown quite in stride. The only problem is that, although the dragon is thoroughly tame, the townspeople love a good fight and absolutely insist that a dragon-slayer be sent for. Thankfully, the man in question, none other than St. George himself, knows how people sometimes exaggerate, and doesn't care too much for killing. The solution is agreed upon by the ...more
Althea Ann
Jan 31, 2014 Althea Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course, I had 'The Wind in the Willows' as a child. I truly wish I'd had this story as well. It's less well known - but I'm not sure why.

This is a truly wonderful story-within-a-story: two children, fancying that the snow tracks they've followed from their yard are those of a dragon, encounter a kindly neighbor, who tells them a story - of course, about a boy who meets a literarily-inclined, and unusually good-tempered dragon.

Whimsical, warm and clever.
Jayanth S
Jolly little children's tale about a poetry loving dragon who is as lazy as any of us.
Tonk82
Feb 25, 2016 Tonk82 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infantil-juvenil
Kenneth Grahame fue un escritor británico especialmente célebre por "El viento en los sauces", que ha tenido incontables adaptaciones en cine, teatro y televisión.

Del resto de sus obras, las que se suelen considerar mas importante son "The golden age" y "Dream days", donde recopiló parte de su ficción infantil y diversos relatos sobre su infancia. Y el relato que mas fama y éxito cosechó fue "El dragón perezoso" (The reluctant dragon).

Es una especie de reelaboración del enfrentamiento entre el c
Karen
Aug 03, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
Kenneth Grahame, best known for writing The Wind in the Willows, wrote this book. Ernest H. Shepard, best known for illustrating Winnie-The-Pooh, illustrated this book. With a winning team like that, it is no surprise that this well-loved book has become a classic.

The plot of this story is straightforward enough: A dragon moves into a cave near a village. The villagers want the dragon gone. The villagers hire a knight to fight the dragon. But there are such delightful twists and turns along the
Julia Brumfield
Aug 04, 2015 Julia Brumfield rated it liked it
Shelves: book, disney-origins
I promised that I have read this book somewhere, maybe once upon a time, for it is familiar but I just cannot place where.

For me the writing was bland and the characters didn't have much of a personality besides annoying, vexing and what the. And to top the flat personalities the main characters with the exception of St. George didn't have names but were called by their place in the book then given with "and that was their skill while they were good at it".

It would be interesting to see how D
Chris
Mar 26, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: boys-books
Thoroughly enjoyed this little book. The writing was fresh and witty, and Grahame inverted the classic St. George kills dragon tale.

This dragon is reluctant to fight, preferring instead to work on his verses. The shepherd's son knows from his extensive reading of natural history and fairy tales that a dragon must fight when St. George comes to town. But this dragon balks. So the three devise a spectacle in which all keep their honor, the townspeople are treated to a worthy show, and the dragon g
Tim
Mar 31, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing
The Reluctant Dragon is a delight of language and plot. The pacifist and poetical dragon, the wise and well-read boy, and the compassionate St. George come together in a small story that I love to read and hear aloud.
Mamamaggie
Apr 08, 2009 Mamamaggie rated it it was amazing
OMG, loved this. my six year old and i were reading for a library list and this story, oh this story is so witty and hilarious. i laughed many times. we are starting wind and the willows now. tickle a funny bone long forgotten, read this one.
Nicola Tapson
Aug 04, 2016 Nicola Tapson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
This was a delightful little story. I loved the twist in the story and the illustrations added to the story in a wonderful way. It ignited the imagination and I could see the story play out like a movie in my mind. This was a fab read.
David
I'd never heard of this book before I did a search on Shepard illustrated children's literature. What a sweet little gem of a book! Not much to the story. St. George vs the Dragon, except this time the Dragon is a good guy. It's the poetic prose that makes it something special. Love this book.
Manuel Alfonseca
Feb 01, 2016 Manuel Alfonseca rated it liked it
A singular parody of the legend of St. George and the dragon, with no princess, a dragon that refuses to fight, and a boy who acts as middleman.
Samra
Dec 18, 2015 Samra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, library
adorable, dragon is a good guy. love the colors and how the characters help each other out
Barb Middleton
An oldie moldie. But goodie. Ew... we have some really old books in our library. First published in 1898, "The Reluctant Dragon" shows how Kenneth Grahame was influenced by Victorian writers with voice. The humorous and stuffy narration reminds me of Lemony Snicket in his Series of Unfortunate Events, Lois Lowry in "The Willoughbys", and Pseudonymous Bosch in his Bad Books series, poking fun at Victorian narrators. "The Reluctant Dragon" starts out like a fairy tale, "Long ago..." and ends happi ...more
Farina
Jan 31, 2017 Farina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves children classics features with animals
He was a shining, sea-blue, magnificent, splendid dragon that came forth from the Downs Cave and acted like a proper Dragon.. And it was his friend beside him that encouraged him!

This beautiful short story had a really great meaning in it: "To not make up stories and fancying other people would believe them just because they were plausible and highly-coloured."
Andre Piucci
Dec 26, 2016 Andre Piucci rated it it was amazing
"And he warned them against the sin of romancing, and making up stories and fancying other people would believe them just because they were plausible and highly-coloured. Then he sat down, amidst much repentant cheering, and the dragon nudged the Boy in the ribs and whispered that he couldn’t have done it better himself."
Edward Davies
Dec 29, 2016 Edward Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basically a short moral story about judging people by appearances, this incredibly short children's tale can easily be finished off in one sitting.
Ana Rînceanu
Let's call a spade a spade, shall we?! He's just plain old lazy. Cute and artistically inclined, but lazy.
Catherine
Nov 26, 2016 Catherine rated it really liked it
Sweet story. I liked how the characters worked everything out, to the benefit of all.
Gheeta
Oct 20, 2016 Gheeta rated it liked it
A gentle and fun little fable by the author of Wind in the Willows and illustrated by the man who first drew Winnie-the-Pooh! It made me smile and wish there were further adventures. :)
Lori
Jan 13, 2017 Lori rated it it was amazing
Audio version: For whatever reason, I'm revisiting books I read as a kid and books I read to my kids when they were little. I love Kenneth Grahame's way of never talking down to a child in his books. For those who love a good animal character, this one about the dragon, the kid, and St. George is a classic!
Kim
Jan 11, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
A boy discovers a very personable dragon living in a cave near his farm. The dragon likes nothing better than to sit in the sunshine meditating and composing poetry, and the boy enjoys his company. Trouble arrives however when the nearby village learns of his presence. Assuming the dragon will have a violent nature, the villagers call in St. George to do him in. The boy warns the dragon, who insists he will not fight. The boy then visits St. George, who turns out to be a sympathetic person. Neit ...more
Caterpickles
Jan 14, 2017 Caterpickles rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this book while searching for The Wind in the Willows. A boy makes friends with a dragon who lives in a cave on the end of town. The villagers find out about the dragon and send immediately for St. George to kill it. Can the boy save the dragon? Here's a clue: The Eight-Year-Old loves, loves, loves this book.
David Christian
Oct 05, 2013 David Christian rated it really liked it
Minimalism, Old English Banter, and Satirical Commentary At Its Best

The Reluctant Dragon is a hear-warming tale of friendship, problem solving, and challenging old ideas. A boy ventures into the cave above his house after his terrified Father claims he met a dragon. The boy, who spends his immersed in all types of books, befriends a surprisingly well-mannered dragon after joining him for some evening poetry, tea and biscuits. Soon after, the townspeople, begin to talk and call on the services of
Justin Ulmer
Feb 06, 2016 Justin Ulmer rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, fantasy
A curious tale that was written in a wholly different time, from an apparently different mindset.

A peculiarity that immediately stood out to me was how many layers of story telling are contained within this short tale. At one point Kenneth Grahame is telling a story about two children and a man who is telling a story about a boy and a dragon who is telling a story about his past experiences with other dragons. Christopher Nolan would be proud.

Another thing that instantly sets The Reluctant Drag
Kelly
Oct 17, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
1. Picture book/Short Novel: Traditional/Fantasy.
2. This story of a boy and a special dragon that has a unique relationship with the boy. The boy earns the trust and friendship of the dragon. The boy soon discovers that a St. Georges will be coming to defeat the dragon, but he soon arranges a meeting between the dragon and the Saint so that a "fight" can be arranged.
3. Critique:
A. Uniqueness of the plot
B. Besides the traditional story of the knight that defeats a dragon, this story does an excel
  • The Book of Dragons
  • Pegasus
  • The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3)
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • The Duchess of Whimsy
  • The Real Thief
  • Farewell to Shady Glade
  • Favorite Medieval Tales
Kenneth Grahame was a British writer, most famous for The Wind in the Willows (1908), one of the classics of children's literature. He also wrote The Reluctant Dragon; both books were later adapted into Disney films.
More about Kenneth Grahame...

“No, I can't stop for sonnets; my mother is sitting up. I'll look you up tomorrow, sometime or other, and do for goodness' sake try and realise that you're a pestilential scourge, or your find yourself in a most awful fix. Good-night!” 5 likes
“You see all the other fellows were so active and earnest and all that sort of thing- always rampaging, and skirmishing, and scouring the desert sands, and pacing the margin of the sea, and chasing knights all over the place, and devouring damsels, and going on generally- whereas I liked to get my meals regular and then to prop my back against a bit of rock and snooze a bit, and wake up and think of things going on and how they kept going on just the same, you know!” 3 likes