Start by marking “The Machine in Ward Eleven” as Want to Read:
The Machine in Ward Eleven

The Machine in Ward Eleven

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This reissue of Willeford's 1963 pulp classic is a timely reminder that madness is truly the dark heart of politics. Written at a time when people still had faith in their elected leaders, Willeford's book laid bare the American dream. There is an almost Chekhovian wistfulness in the treatment of his stories, which belies their considerable impact. "The most eloquently bra ...more
Published August 27th 2001 by Thunder's Mouth Press (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Machine in Ward Eleven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Machine in Ward Eleven

Jeff
Apr 02, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it
I liked this book of Willeford short stories. I liked it. I didn't love it as much as did some of his novels. It's a must if you consider yourself a Willeford fan. That is if you've seen the movie, The Woman Chaser, read all the Hoke Mosleys, including the manuscript of Grimhaven, and have scoured used book stories for impossible-to-find paperbacks of his then you have to read this. But, if all that is true, then you've already have read this. Sorry. Never mind.
Still
May 22, 2013 Still rated it really liked it
I've been a Willeford fan for years.
I believe it was a review by Alberto (or perhaps Col) that brought this collection of short stories to my attention.

Three of the stories in this collection feature variations on the same character. The others are the kind of "twist ending" stories popularized by The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents tv series and anthologies of the early 1960's.

The 1st story, "The Machine In Ward Eleven" originally appeared in Playboy Magazine in 1961.
"Selected Inci
Justin Howe
Jun 21, 2009 Justin Howe rated it really liked it
Short story collection from one of my favorite noir authors. Willeford is all over the map here, trying his hand at psychological horror, absurdist fable, and the occasional Twilight Zone piece.

In Willeford's own words: "I had a hunch that madness was a predominant theme and normal condition for Americans living in the second half of this century."

Douglas Castagna
Jan 28, 2014 Douglas Castagna rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Willeford. I hunted this title down, found it on Ebay, and tore into it. The book, which is very slim, coming in at just over 140 pages, is comprised of six related stories. The titular story is the best in the bunch. While they are all related, some more so than others, they are not all as strong as the first one, and I do not believe they can stand on their own, except for the first story, and the last one in the book. The book was written well over fifty years ago, and I fee ...more
Margaret
Feb 02, 2009 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychological, sci-fi
psycho/sci fi? Creepy, crazy Kosinsky meets, well, Willeford.
wally
Jan 15, 2016 wally rated it really liked it
#17 from willeford for me.

the machine in ward eleven, charles willeford, paperback, isbn 1568582102...copyright 1961 charles willeford...141 printed pages...and 13 glorious blank pages before the back cover. verily. insert your index here. something to do w/the way they bind books as the scuttlebutt has it.

contents
vi the alectryomancer 122 to 141

heh!
Tracie
Apr 01, 2012 Tracie rated it liked it
At first I thought maybe all the stories were going to tie back to JC Blake, because both of the first stories are both about him, and I know that Willeford played around with POV shifts in other stories, but it's just the first two that connect, and the others are stand alones. As a whole, this collection is a lot tighter than The Second Half of the Double Feature. I've been reading his earlier stuff lately (Pick Up, Burnt Orange Heresy, Cockfighter, etc.), and this is definitely more of the il ...more
John Wilson
I never learn when it comes to Willeford. He's just too weird for me.
Williwaw
Feb 23, 2013 Williwaw rated it it was ok
Read the first story. It was okay. Not sure that I feel inspired to continue. It was about a man in a psychiatric ward. It's unclear who he is, but he has memories of being a television director. A woman who says she's his wife comes to visit him every 30 days.

Slowly, one gets the impression that he's in the ward by choice. Then, he's threatened with electroshock therapy, and the story briefly gains some momentum.
Stevie
Aug 07, 2013 Stevie rated it liked it
That was a fun read. Willeford was a favorite and inspiration of my father's (Blaster Al Ackerman) and I can totally see the affinity after reading these. The uneasy sense that the stories all wound in on themselves and the dark humor throughout reminded me of Borges. The completely untrustworthy narrators and subtle brutality reminded me of Will Self.
Stephen
Jan 06, 2010 Stephen rated it did not like it
Simply not a good book. I have loved every other Willeford book I have read. There is just nothing in this one. Avoid it.
Larry Webber
Jan 11, 2008 Larry Webber rated it liked it
Short stories, observances, add up to an unusual insight into Willeford, the young soldier of fortune.
Claire Fulmer
Claire Fulmer marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Bill Householder
Bill Householder marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Eric Margolis
Eric Margolis is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2016
James Heimer
James Heimer rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2016
Tamara Rose
Tamara Rose rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Pedro Fraginals
Pedro Fraginals marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Chanabcsmith
Chanabcsmith rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Crawdaddy Simon
Crawdaddy Simon rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Bill Florio
Bill Florio marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Brendan M.
Brendan M. marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Whiskeysoaked
Whiskeysoaked marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Thadeous
Thadeous marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Peter Edwards
Peter Edwards rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Drake Savage
Drake Savage marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Todd Maduke
Todd Maduke marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Charles Willeford was a remarkably fine, talented and prolific writer who wrote everything from poetry to crime fiction to literary criticism throughout the course of his impressively long and diverse career. His crime novels are distinguished by a mean'n'lean sense of narrative economy and an admirable dearth of sentimentality. He was born as Charles Ray Willeford III on January 2, 1919 in Little ...more
More about Charles Willeford...

“a man should always observe fanaticism when he gets the chance.” 2 likes