Le Bourgeois gentilhomme

Le Bourgeois gentilhomme

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  4,477 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Lorsque Molière fait jouer pour la première fois Le Bourgeois gentilhomme à Chambord en 1670 devant le Roi et la cour, Monsieur Jourdain n'est pas seulement un père qui entrave les projets de mariage de sa fille. Car, bien au-delà de cette histoire d'amour traditionnelle, la comédie-ballet se déploie en un grand spectacle avec danses et musique, où le comique et la satire...more
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published October 23rd 1985 by Le Livre de Poche (first published 1670)

To ask other readers questions about Le Bourgeois gentilhomme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Bourgeois gentilhomme

Realini
Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme by Moliere

Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme is a funny play... or is it a farce?
I laughed and enjoyed the sarcasm.
On the other hand, there are some features of the poor Bourgeois Gentilhomme that made me pity him and even more at times, empathise with him.
He is ridiculous, vain, false and his values and judgements change from moment to moment, depending on who is presenting him alternatives: if this point of view is argued by a „noble”, then that’s the way it should be.
He goes as...more
Fabian
Ok, so I did not read this in French and therefore I am afraid a bunch of the wit got lost in translation. There is enough however (despite the full-on mastery of a language in this whimsical play) that is universal enough to still be relevant. It is so impressively relevant in fact, some 400 years after it was written, that I suffered chills and, better yet, muffled multiple laughs.

Moliere must be the Oscar Wilde of his country (or is it the other way around?). Indeed the structure of this very...more
Ben
A comedy-ballet and issues concerning a man who wants to live above his station -- very similar in these two regards to Molière's shorter play from two years earlier, George Dandin. Like so many of Molière's leading characters, we are situated to view M. Jourdain, the title character of this play ("The Bourgeois Gentleman," or sometimes translated as "The Would-Be Gentleman") as a fool, a caricature obsessed with social standing (similar to Dandin, but more clearly so in this work). This bourgeo...more
David Sarkies
Aug 20, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like a good laugh
Shelves: comedy
A farcical attempt to climb the social ladder
31 May 2013

This is a play about a middle class merchant whose goal in life is to become a member of the aristocracy and he tries many things, including arranging his daughter's marriage, to achieve that goal. In a way this desire is almost an obsession, and his friends take advantage of this by playing a joke on him: they pretend to be members of the Turkish court and bestow him with the title of Paladin.
The desire to better oneself socially and to...more
Sergei Moska
I'd give this somewhere between three and four stars. My reception of the story changes a lot depending on how I think Moliere wants the reader / viewer of the play to interpret the main character's troubles. In the final act, the main character gets duped by purported "Turks", and the comedy certainly comes from (1)his credulity, (2)his pomposity, and (3)the fact that he is not acting according to his "proper" station in life. Leaving aside the fact that Moliere is celebrating ossified social h...more
Roxy S.
We read this play out loud in Euro class, but I suppose it counts since I technically read it. Anyhow, what a fun play...the whole class was laughing out loud most of the time...and the people who read were quite comical as well. I really enjoyed it/how it relates to what we are learning in the class right now...I should get on reading some more plays cause when I write dialogue it tends to be somewhat pathetic....
Paul Servini
Molière est vraiment un formidable observateur de l'humanité. Cette pièce n'est pas une exception. Molière met la main sur les prétentions insensées que nous connaissons tous. Mais pour M. Jourdain ces prétentions ne restent pas un simple rêve. Une délicieuse comédie, mais n'oublions pas: il y a un élément de M. Jourdain en chacun de nous.
Donna
May 05, 2011 Donna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Donna by: Michael
Shelves: plays
A wicked French farce. Note that in 17th century France you cannot be both "bourgeois" (a tradesman or shopkeeper) and a "gentleman" (landed gentry). The extremely wealthy title character is attempting to social climb his way into the upper class. The guy was just so clueless.

Read in Don Juan and Other Plays ISBN 978-0199540228.
Kim Vargas
Este teatro cuenta la historia de un protagonista que es millonario y un completo idiota, ignorante, con deseos de saber y mostrar "su sabiduría" y "su alto nivel". Todos se burlan de él y nadie le tiene respeto; obviamente, él no se da cuenta, porque está acostumbrado a que todos lo adulen y despilfarra su dinero en cosas realmente innecesarias solo por estar al mismo nivel de la gente "de categoría".

¿Cuántos señores Jourdaine tenemos en la actualidad?
Eso fue lo que me dio más gracia de todo....more
Bogdan
This is one of the greatest comedies ever written. I believe it is still appliable into today society, even though it has been written long time ago, when the French middle-class started to pretend nobiliary origins and imitate the high-ranking society.
Kelly
Read in French in high school. Was our first piece of actual literature we got to read, so had both French and English translation to help me. I'm glad I did so I got to enjoy the jokes as well as learn the language. One of the best ones we read.
Kayla
May 15, 2014 Kayla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Kayla by: Teacher
I thoroughly enjoyed the story of M. Jourdain as he works to somehow become a "gentleman". This story is entertaining from start to finish and packed with funny moments. This books reflects a common theme that can also be found in other stories such as Candide. That is the inability to be content. M. Jourdain has a loving wife and daughter, a beautiful home and more money than he knows what to do with and yet he chases after a woman who is out of his reach. He is also made a fool of time and tim...more
TarasProkopyuk
Изумительная и очень смешная комедия. Мольер в этой комедии создал необычно яркий образ глупости и слепоты.
Nuria
En esta comedia Moliére nos presenta, a través de su característico humor, una situación muy común en su época: la de una nobleza que gozaba de privilegios y a pesar de ello vivía en la ruina y la de una burguesía que, envuelta en su riqueza, no podía ascender a los puntos más álgidos de la escala social. El protagonista de esta historia, un rico burgués, se obsesiona con la idea de semejarse a la clase noble y gasta, sin ningún reparo, en profesores que le instruyan en volverse culto y pomposos...more
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
En esta obra sabremos de Monsieur Jourdain, burgués que pretende pasar por noble imitando sus modales y conocimientos. Además, planea volverse a casar con una Marquesa.
Con el fin de que se hable de él en la corte, hace de amistad con el Conde Dorante, quien se aprovecha pidiéndole cuantiosas sumas de dinero. Es a través del Conde, que Monsieur Jourdain le envía regalos a la Marquesa Dorimena para enamorarla. Pero el astuto Dorante, le lleva a la Marquesa los presentes como suyos, por lo tanto,...more
علی
بورژوا ژانتیوم یا "نجیب زاده ی متوسط" 1670، یک کمدی در پنج پرده، همراه با موزیک و رقص و آواز است. نمایش نامه طنزی ست در مورد شخصیتی از طبقه ی متوسط که مایل است جزو "اشراف" بحساب بیاید (نجیب زادگی کسبی نیست، خونی و ارثی ست). ژوردن که فرزند تاجر ثروتمندی از طبقه ی متوسط است، در تلاش برای رسیدن به هدفش، لباس های با شکوه سفارش می دهد و خوشحال است که شاگرد خیاط او را "عالیجناب" خطاب می کند. او تلاش می کند آداب نجیب زادگی چون رقص، رفتار، موسیقی و علم را هم فرا گیرد، و همین از او یک دلقک می سازد. مثلن...more
Sean Chick
The play has its moments but it seems rather one dimensional. Its social consciousness though is refreshing, particular for its era.
Dhini
pertama2 saya harus bilang bahwa buku yang saya baca ini, hanya versi abriged-nya aja, jadi cover-nya juga ga kayak gambar yang ada ini... tetapi secara isi, cukuplah bagi saya utk bisa menikmati buah karya dari sastrawan besar Perancis ini..

Le bourgeois gentilhomme, lakon drama tentang orang kaya baru yang di"kipas2in" oleh seorang yg licik n culas, agar sang orang kaya ini bisa dekat sama kalangan istana... dan utk itu, orang kaya tsb harus mau ngeluarin banyak uang. Sebenarnya, sang istri uda...more
Adil
So amazing even that it has sens of Humour
Casey
Read this as our French Literature for second semester of French III, and ended up REALLY liking it. It's so funny. A lot of the jokes had to be explained, but when they were they were hilarious. My favorites were the moments with les maîtres (especially le maître de philosophe) and at the end, when Cléonte pretended to be the son of the Grand-Turk. I want to find an actual production online to watch, too.

I wouldn't read this outside of a classroom setting, but it's definitely a fun read.
Alyssa
Maybe it was because this was an adaptation, but I found his writing to be lacking a bit of substance. Yes, it was funny, and yet it was mockable, but I was expecting more from France's "Shakespeare".
Antoine
If I were reviewing its potential as a theater piece, I would give it five stars. The one time I saw it, I was still laughing DAYS later... and that was in French. But without either a performance or a true mastery of literary French to bring the text to life, I find Moliere kind of opaque; I understand the jokes, but I don't feel them in my gut. I confess that I often feel the same way about Shakespeare; reading it pales next to seeing it.

Ryan
A hilarious indictment of the ludicrous pretensions of golden age French court culture. Absolutely worth watching a high quality dramatic rendering as well.
Lett'
Je sais que le théâtre est davantage fait pour être jouer. Mais, ce livre même en lecture passive est un régal de tout point de vue. On nous montre la naïveté de monsieur Jourdain, la méchanceté de Dorante. Il est montré que la mère est fière d”être ce qu’elle est, et veut rester dans cette catégorie sociale.
Patrick
I found this book fascinating. Being the very first book I ever read of Molière. I will have to agree to his amazing gift of making people not just laugh but enjoy his plays. And one line especially I found very interesting "Belle marquise, vos beaux yeux me font mourir d'amour".
Joshua
I am in the middle of actually doing this production, as I am a theatre major, and I play the role of the music teacher( also a whirling dervish later in the show).I think the show is very funny. I love the way the couples fight is written. Pick it up and read it! Aha :)
Angel Serrano
Comedia de enredos en la que un nuevo rico está obsesionado por convertirse en noble. Sus amigos, su esposa y su hija abusarán de esta obsesión para conseguir sus objetivos y engañarlo. Interesante el papel que el criado de su yerno cobrará para organizar la boda de su hija.
Corinne
lecture scolaire. Agréable moment, mais comme toujours, pour le théâtre de Molière, je conseillerais d'assister à une représentation plutôt que de simplement lire le livre. La puissance du jeu des acteurs donne sa vraie puissance au texte.
  • Le Mariage de Figaro
  • Andromaque
  • Le Cid
  • Le jeu de l'amour et du hasard
  • On ne badine pas avec l'amour
  • Lettres de mon moulin
  • La guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu
  • La cantatrice chauve, suivi de La leçon
  • Fables
  • The Infernal Machine and Other Plays
  • Knock ou le triomphe de la médecine
  • Le château de ma mère
  • Ruy Blas
  • Les caractères
  • Le Lion
  • Antigone
Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, also known by his stage name, Molière, was a French playwright and actor who is considered one of the greatest masters of comedy in Western literature. Among Molière's best-known dramas are Le Misanthrope, (The Misanthrope), L'Ecole des femmes (The School for Wives), Tartuffe ou l'Imposteur, (Tartuffe or the Hypocrite), L'Avare ou l'École du mensonge (The Miser), Le Malade...more
More about Molière...
Tartuffe The Misanthrope Don Juan L'Avare Le Malade imaginaire

“« Par ma foi ! il y a plus de quarante ans que je dis de la prose sans que j'en susse rien, et je vous suis le plus obligé du monde de m'avoir appris cela. »” 1 likes
“Tout petit prince a des ambassadeurs, Tout marquis veut avoir des pages.” 0 likes