Start by marking “Christmas At The New Yorker: Stories, Poems, Humor, And Art” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Christmas At The New Y...

The New Yorker

Christmas At The New Yorker: Stories, Poems, Humor, And Art

From the pages of America’s most influential magazine come eight decades of holiday cheer—plus the occasional comical coal in the stocking—in one incomparable collection. Sublime and ridiculous, sentimental and searing, Christmas at The New Yorker is a gift of great writing and drawing by literary legends and laugh-out-loud cartoonists.

Here are seasonal stories, poems, memo
Published October 12th 2004 by Random House (first published October 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas At The New Yorker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas At The New Yorker

Rachel
Dec 26, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
If there's a theme to this collection, it might be How Difficult Christmas Can Be For the Bourgeoisie. The writing is good, as one would expect, but really how many melancholy stories do we need about how lonely and alienated many people feel over the holidays? There are a couple of grimly humorous pieces, but, overall, unless you are one of those people who enjoy hating Christmas, this book is fairly depressing.
Susie
Nov 26, 2011 Susie rated it it was ok
I guess I just don't get the New Yorker. A few of the cartoons were funny, and maybe a couple of the stories. The rest of it was kind of "huh?"
Rebecca
Jan 04, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of short stories and the particular style of the New Yorker
Recommended to Rebecca by: read good review of it
Shelves: wishlist, fiction
On the whole I enjoyed reading the collection. It was the exact type of book I was looking for to read over the holiday season. What most interested me was how the stories from various eras reflected the current events and the popular writing style of the time. There were some particularly fun stories like the one that tells The Night Before Christmas in Hemingway's style. As a whole, though I found the stories to be hit or miss, and I think one has to like the type of fiction that they print in ...more
D'face
Jan 09, 2011 D'face rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas gift to myslef - at least I know what I like! And I liked this collection very much, perhaps the poems not so much. A wonderful collection of Christmas covers, cartoons and short stories from some of the New Yorker's best writers. Some of the stories are sad, some risque, a number are funny. I wish I had seen this book earlier as it would make a marvelous Christmas gift. There are some beautiful covers here and some classical cartoons (the Addams family children stoking the fire in ...more
Angela
Jan 13, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
I liked this collection of stories, cartoons and poems from the New Yorker. Some of the stories were dry, and some were tearjerkers. The funny ones were my favorite, though, and there were plenty of those.

The main reason I read the collection, however was for H.L. Mencken's short story Christmas Story, which here is called "Stare Decisis." The story is one in which a man decides to throw a feast for the most down-and-out bums he can find, no sermons to sit through or other strings attached. Howe
Kate
Dec 31, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
Like most anthologies, a mixed bag quality-wise (a little heavy on the "Greetings, Friends!" selections, which read like in-jokes among the editors), but here are all the moods of Christmas. A few of my favorites: "Schoolboy," Sally Benson; "Christmas is a Sad Season for the Poor," John Cheever; James Thurber's screamingly funny "A Visit From Saint Nicholas (in the Ernest Hemingway Manner)"; E.B White's Comments; "Occurrence on the Six-Seventeen," George Shephard; "Homecoming," William Maxwell; ...more
Mary
Jan 23, 2011 Mary rated it liked it
Okay, more dysfunctional, crumbling literary fiction marriages than merry "ho, ho, ho"s, but really good dysfunctional, crumbling etc. nonetheless. If you're looking for jolly, cut straight to Thurber's "Night Before Christmas in the Hemingway Style," which was both dysfunctional, crumbling etc. /and/ hysterical. Mostly, though, all unhappy families look the same. Perhaps, though, my reading it straight through in one sitting created the distaste.
Kristina Silverbears
Dec 16, 2014 Kristina Silverbears rated it it was ok
Perhaps the problem I'm having with this book is that it isn't a cheerful holiday collection. It isn't funny, or heartwarming or even religious. It is darn depressing, to cut to the short of it. Oh, it is well-written, edited, and in clear English. But the content isn't moving me into any Christmas spirit, which is what I expected from this kind of book. I wanted snow people, marriages, baking, and presents. I got divorce, drunkenness, and guilt. I feel tricked.
Rachel
Dec 24, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, humor, nonfiction
There are some great pieces in here, namely the longer stories. The cartoons are fun as usual. I wish the cover art was bigger, closer to full size--most of them show up only as a quarter page or less. Some of the poems are remarkably good, and others have not aged well. A fun read that helps you get in the Christmas spirit.
Sandy
Jan 30, 2015 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful collection of stories, art and humor. You don't have to read it cover to cover, and the table of contents has everything listed by theme. It will be fun to pull out each holiday season.
Catherine  Mustread
Listened to Isaiah Sheffer reads James Thurber’s re-imagining of a famous poem, “A Visit from St. Nicholas,” in the style of Ernest Hemingway on Selected Shorts.
Joyce
Dec 04, 2008 Joyce rated it really liked it
This collection, edited by John Updike, has a variety of stories, art and poetry from many years. A fun read.
Emily Mellow
Dec 13, 2010 Emily Mellow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Great collection, filled with cartoons, covers, quotes and stories going all the way back to the 1930's. Very enjoyable read.
Mags
Jan 02, 2011 Mags rated it it was amazing
So far I think the short stories and humor is phenomenal. A great Christmas read

This was certainly a tremendous effort and win on the part of The New Yorker.
Stephanie Evans
Dec 14, 2011 Stephanie Evans rated it liked it
Love the humor, loved the poems and loved many of the stories, BUT, this is the New Yorker. Don't be expecting a whole lot of holiday cheer here.
Alexis
Jan 26, 2010 Alexis rated it really liked it
john and i are reading this together. there's funny stuff, cute stuff, and all around christmas fuzzy stuff!
Fred
Fred rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Nancy Anderson
Nancy Anderson rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
 Barb Bailey
Barb Bailey rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2010
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Judy Scheffel
Judy Scheffel rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Victoria L Conran
Victoria L Conran rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Shelly
Shelly rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Chris Heim
Chris Heim rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
C. T.
C. T. rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2009
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
The New Yorker is an American magazine of reportage, commentary, criticism, essays, fiction, satire, cartoons, and poetry published by Condé Nast Publications. Starting as a weekly in the mid-1920s, the magazine is now published forty-seven times per year, with five of these issues covering two-week spans.
More about The New Yorker...