Start by marking “Folk Shawls” as Want to Read:
Folk Shawls

Folk Shawls

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Shawls are currently making a huge comeback in the fashion world, but many people do not realize that the shawl has been worn for many centuries and in many cultures. This collection of patterns and traditions features shawls from around the world. From the Himalayas to Spain, from Iceland to Japan, and from Mexico to Norway, many of the shawls featured here have been take ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about Folk Shawls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Folk Shawls

Mar 12, 2013 Rachael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adventurous knitters looking to expand their skills
Recommended to Rachael by: perusing the library shelves
Shelves: knitting
A lovely book on the craft. This book is definitely intended for the more intermediate to advanced knitter, depending on the pattern itself. If you have never knitted something before, or are a total crocheter, I do not recommend this book. Do yourself a favor and knit a simple garter stitch scarf before attempting these pretty gems.

Having knitted the "Spanish Christening Shawl" as a tester, and tried a few others out, I love this book. 4 stars because some of the techniques could have been a li
Nov 22, 2011 Sheila rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning knitters
Shelves: fiber-arts
The premise of this book is that each of the 25 patterns is tied to a location/knitting tradition. I felt the tie-ins were a little weak. For example, the Aran Pocket shawl's tie-in is:

"Women on the Aran Islands often wear woven plaid shawls from Scotland. The basket weave pattern and the pockets on this shawl are based on a modern Scottish woven plaid shawl."

That's it. The pattern itself is a nice, basket weave, rectangular shawl with pockets. Nothing fancy but good simple pattern. It would be
Kristen Stieffel
Folk Shawls is mostly a pattern book. There are many great anecdotes about the countries the shawls derive from, and historical information about how the shawls were derived. The shawls are all lovely, and range from simple to complex.

Oberle does not waste the experienced knitter's time with a how-to section. There is a "techniques" chapter, but it only gives instructions for specific methods used in the patterns. These are methods that will probably be familiar to experts, but the chapter is in
Kaydee Stasik
Most books that contain knitting patterns have only a few worth knitting. This one makes a person want to knit them ALL. The background of each shawl is given providing each a "personality." Some are plain to show off a beautiful yarn, and some are of an intricate stitch for a more plain yarn, but all of the shawls are interesting in their own way.

There are shawls for the beginning knitter and a couple of more challenging shawls where you have to turn off the television and concentrate.

The book
I first flipped through this collection a few years ago and was not impressed... nothing stood out to me at all. However, I checked it out again at the library recently and liked it a lot more. The knits are very traditional - lace designs mostly, inspired by different parts of the world.

I am glad that Interweave Press has stepped up their photography in the more recent books. The photography in this book is pretty bad - there are no details shots, but fully modeled shots on the author from a d
Have long wanted to read this book and treated myself to it recently. It does not disappoint! So far I have bookmarked 4 shawls and stoles I want to knit. Wonder how I'll feel about it after I've attempted them.

The book includes interesting information about the various styles and fashions for shawls and stoles in various cultures, and the patterns look interesting. Some are fairly daunting due to size, but none look impossibly difficult.

Another adventure in knitting coming up!
Interesting patterns--I'm into knitting shawls these days, but it's also interesting that she talked about traditional shawls from different national and ethnic groups--and more stitches and construction methods that were characteristic of those groups.
Mostly for experienced knitters. I borrowed this from the library and worked up the Prairie shawl once and the Butterfly (inspired by Native American Pow-wow) twice, then used the lace pattern from that for a cardigan just this last year.
Beautiful patterns, but come on - what is with all the errors? Were there ANY test knitters. After much frustration I abandoned my project from this book. Later I came to find out that the reason I couldn't make it work was the errors!
Cheryle Oberle is a super person and a terrifie teacher and designer. In this shawl book she is the only model and she looks absolutely wonderful in her creations. These patterns are not easy but worth the effort.
Folk Shawls contains 25 beautiful shawls from around the world, covering an array of cultural traditions and workmanship. The book is beautifully laid out, with photos and drawing accompanying each pattern.
This is a wonderful book. I have made many of the shawls and some of them many times. The instructions are clearer than any other patterns I have found to make such complex and beautiful knits.
My wedding shawl came from this book. I'm not really a shawl person, but these are really pretty, and make me wish I was more old school marmish so I could throw one on.
Apr 08, 2008 Dharma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: knitting
I liked that there was information about each of the countries in terms of the history or mythology of the shawl style. I will definitely look to getting my own copy.
i like how each culture has its own story about knitting
Miss Mouse
Pretty shawls, but not enough that I liked or thought I'd actually get around to knitting to justify adding this to my library.
Wylie Kay
One of my all time favorite knitting books. One day I will buy it and not have to keep checking it out at the library.
Some of the best patterns for shawls are in this book
Nov 02, 2012 MJ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: knitting
A couple of nice looking shawls but had to return book.
I have this book great resource for ones who love shawls
Beautiful ethnic shawl patterns.
Lots of nice shawls.
Beautiful shawl patterns!
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015