Start by marking “Dying for a Hamburger: Modern Meat Processing and the Epidemic of Alzheimer's Disease” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  4 reviews
One in ten people older than sixty-five, and nearly half of those older than eighty-five, have Alzheimer's disease.

It's widely accepted nowadays that memory loss comes with age. Alzheimer's currently robs at least 15 million people of their identity worldwide. This book makes the controversial claim that eating meat may contribute to the development of the disease.

In Dying
Published May 27th 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published April 20th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dying for a Hamburger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying for a Hamburger

Someone else wrote that this book terrified them and I have to agree. This book scared the crap out of me too but in a "let's-do-something-about-it" kind of way, not in a "I'm-never-leaving-the-house-again" way. Whenever there's a mad cow disease outbreak, I think of this book (I didn't know before reading this book that mad cow can have an incubation period of up to 30 years! So when you see government officials in the news claiming there is no danger to public, there is really no way for them ...more
Dan Robert
Dec 03, 2008 Dan Robert rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who eats hamburgers
Following the link between the rise of Alzheimer’s disease in the 20th century, the connection with BSE, CJD and the development of modern meat processing due to the astronomical rise in beef demand, along with the development pattern of AD, the authors paint a pretty convincing picture. They propose that AD is a prion disease, transmitted along the vector of cattle fed prion-infected meat processed into their feed for added protein.

After I had read Fatal Protein, a more medical look at the deve
this book terrified me! Alzhiemers is a horrible disease and this book claimed that we pretty much already all have it. it is easy to read, and seems to be well researched. I highly recommend reading it, even though ignorance may just be bliss. it has some very interesting chapters on different plagues/ epidemics, the history of aging, and of course talks about the current research inAD.
If you don't know what a prion is, you should read this book! Warning : it may change how you eat.
Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Nancy Ganzon
Nancy Ganzon is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2015
Emanuel Cosmin
Emanuel Cosmin marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
C. marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Nichole McCrea
Nichole McCrea marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Marlena marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Dan Cook
Dan Cook marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Francescaj marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Chris added it
May 08, 2014
Jordyn marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014