Start by marking “The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #2)

The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  21 reviews
To keep eager developers off Martha's Vineyard, poet-detective Victoria Trumbull searches for loopholes-and finds a patch of endangered cranefly orchids. But she also discovers one of the developers' underhanded lawyers pushing up daisies. And if Victoria isn't careful, a killer might take her off the endangered list-and make her extinct.
Published January 6th 2004 by Signet (first published May 10th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Cranefly Orchid Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cranefly Orchid Murders

John
I had bailed on the first book a long time ago, but decided to give this one a try as a second chance for the series. The island setting was my main interest; I've spent a great deal of time on Nantucket, but the Vineyard only once many years ago as a kid. Story was slightly overdone I thought, so that by the end I had only limited interest in the killer's identity. However, it worked well enough that I've downloaded the next book from the library, which seems promising from the few minutes I've ...more
Ken Bickley
Ninety-two-year-old Victoria Trumbull solves another Martha's Vineyard Mystery. Cynthia Riggs' mysteries were always entertaining as well as informational. This book will be available at Boyce Ditto Library, too, as soon as Bonnie returns it.
Gennielc
I didn't think she was the main character of the last book - I liked the other characters much better. Plus, it just kept going over and over (and over and over) the same things - boring!
Olgalijo
The first book of the series was not something to be wild about, but there were a couple of scenes that kept coming back to me even after I finished the book. That is the reason why I decided to start number 2 in the series. Even though this didn't have any of those highly vivid elderly person scenes, the protagonist as a character is pretty well developed and she grows on you.
Susan
After putting down the first book in the series, the only reason I read this was because I had it out from the library and decided I'd give Riggs one more try. And I really liked this one. I enjoyed the mystery and the characters. If I didn't know better, I'd say book 2 was written by a different author. I will continue with the series and I may even give book 1 another chance.
Courtney
I haven't decided if I am completely sold on this series yet. The books are a light, easy read, but I don't find myself particularly invested in the characters. The biggest flaw may be the one-dimensionality of the characters and my inability to buy into the whole 92 year old traipsing through the woods schtick.
Grey853
Allison
My first book in this series and I really liked it. Well-written and lots of facts about the endangered flora of Massachusetts. I figured out a couple of points, who the mistress was, etc. but didn't quite have the idea of "who done it" til the end.
Glynn
This is an excellent 'cozy' series; setting of Martha's Vineyard is described nicely; main character (in her nineties) is person who is reasonably crochety and ornery. Details are amusing and interesting; good escape reading!
Kathy
This is the second in the series. I thought maybe I liked it after the first, and am sure I do after the second. Good characters, setting, and plot. The story is well told and moves right along. Good listening.
Tiffany Numbers

What a fun story! Light and easy reading......love Victoria. I aspire to be like her as I mature. Was especially fun for me as I know the area and have able to stay on island several times.
Kathleen
Descriptions of the weather, the ocean, the natural beauty of the land and unusual plants make this book a great read for a weekend.

Suzanne Young
I like this cozy series by Cynthia Riggs. If you know Martha's Vineyard, you'll enjoy these stories even more. Well-plotted and always an unexpected but plausible culprit.
Refmonster
a Martha's Vineyard cozy. made me want to visit the place. the main character is over 90, and less of a sissy than Miss Marple. She does make baked beans though.....
Janet
Book 2 in Martha's Vinyard series. Includes search for rare species of plants and animals to prevent development on still natural coastal area.
Nikki
An entertaining story laced with beautiful descriptions of the landscape.

I really enjoyed the personality of the main character.

Leslie
Victoria does it again, esp. with a nail gun. I liked her friendship with Robin and learned a little about orchids.
Jessica
Pretty bad, but I couldn't resist the title as I study crane flies (misspelled in the title as a single word).
Shelley Hicks
Read By: Davina Porter

Martha Vineyard's Series #5

Good, quick read.
Lynn
Not a bad setting; characters moderately interesting.
Liz
Liked this book , but got lost at the end.
Leentje
Leentje marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Karen Earnhardt
Karen Earnhardt is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2015
Alison Soscia
Alison Soscia marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Death By Design (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1-3)
  • A Blush With Death (A Bath and Body Mystery, #2)
  • Hanging by a Thread (A Needlecraft Mystery, #6)
  • Thale's Folly
  • Spiced to Death (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 2)
  • Death of a Gentle Lady (Hamish Macbeth, #23)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs Pargeter, #5)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
Cynthia Riggs, a tall gray-haired and imposing figure, is a 13th generation Islander, the mother of five and daughter of author and poet Dionis Coffin Riggs and school principal and printmaker Sidney N. Riggs.

With a degree in geology, her own remarkable resumé -- writing for the National Geographic Society and Smithsonian (she spent two months in Antarctica), working in public relations for the Am
More about Cynthia Riggs...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1)
  • The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #3)
  • Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)
  • The Paperwhite Narcissus (Martha's Vineyard Mysteries, #5)
  • Indian Pipes (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #6)
  • Shooting Star (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #7)
  • Death and Honesty (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #8)
  • Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #9)
  • The Bee Balm Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #10)
  • Poison Ivy (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #11)
Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1) The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #3) Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4) The Paperwhite Narcissus (Martha's Vineyard Mysteries, #5) Indian Pipes (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #6)