Start by marking “Red Cell (Rogue Warrior, #2)” as Want to Read:
Red Cell (Rogue Warrior, #2)

Red Cell (Rogue Warrior #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,630 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
According to Marcinko, following the publication of his bestselling autobiography Rogue Warrior , he was forbidden to reveal any more secrets about SEAL or other defense activities; so he has taken to fiction to continue his story. The novel's cynical, coarse, egotistical, irreverent and bloody hero (also named Dick Marcinko) is involuntarily recalled to his old rank as Na ...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Red Cell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Cell

Marci
Jan 18, 2016 Marci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, loose morals, awful language, but intriguing story. Sometimes the author's bravado gets on your nerves, and sometimes you think it would take that kind of bravado and extreme self confidence to be able to accomplish the things he writes about.

Some passages that I marked:

"It is like this. Warriors are different. Whether you are a master of the ancient Chinese martial art of tai chi chuan, a sniping instructor at the Marine sniping school at Quantico, or a master chief at BUD/S out at
Benjamin King
Apr 30, 2014 Benjamin King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first Rogue Warrior book when it came out years ago, so my memory of it is vague, but I think it was non-fiction. In this one, Marcinko and his ghost writer John Weisman tell a "might have happened" tale in which the Rogue Warrior is put back on active duty for ambiguous reasons. It's a classic plot of chase and capture and delayed revelation - the only two real plots for any action story. I had personal contact with a real Navy SEAL for years, and so the military jargon and the brava ...more
Ian
May 09, 2016 Ian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I read this for all the wrong reasons. Rogue Warrior ended with Marcinko running Red Cell, a group that was hired to break into military instillation and plant fake bombs to test security. It's a really cool idea that sounded a lot of fun, so when I saw the next (entirely fictional) book was named Red Cell, I expected to read a lot more of that. Instead, it's 400 pages of Demo Dick talking about how great he is.

The strong, offensive, cowboy-like persona Weisman portrays Marcinko as is a
Ed
#2 in the Rogue Warrior series.

Rogue Warrior series - fiction - This is the story of how Marcinko and a handful of picked SEALs defeated a high-level plot to smuggle nuclear weapons into the hands of Japanese rightists.

Chris Scanlon
Jul 30, 2016 Chris Scanlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Great read. Enjoyed the stories and how real life operations were captured. Thank you Demo Dick for your service to our great nation.
D.L. Thomas
I thought this was incredibly fun to read. I like the first-person style. Marcinko is just such an appealing character, and I was always looking forward to whatever he was going to do next. I will definitely be reading more in the series.
Pat
Mar 10, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Why is this guy so appealing and fun to read about?
Larger than life hero.
Good story.
War games, stolen weapons.
Ricky
And now the fiction starts...but it's damn good fiction. Awesomely action-packed and incredibly irreverent, so it's not to be missed.
Robert
My first Rogue Warrior book. I liked it. I've only been able to acquire abridged versions of Marcinko's books and I don't like those versions. I'm also on the fence whether I really like Marcinko performing the narration. He has a way about him that seems to compliment the writing, but I wonder if it would have been better with an experienced narrator. I may listen to one or two more abridged versions to get a better feel for his character, but I'd much rather find unabridged copies as I said.
Shane
Feb 12, 2010 Shane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the first book that was a true story, this one is purely fiction and not even good fiction. I read it when I was 16 so maybe it's not as bad a I remembered but knowing Marcinko personally, I had hoped to see him continue with real events and stories. Being the son of "Gold Dust Frank" from the first book, I knew there was plenty more he could of went on about in a second book. My guess is he took a lot of flak from NAVSPECWAR after the first and decided against it.
Random57
Nov 16, 2015 Random57 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done!

Great job Marcinko! I'm a Navy veteran of 21years . (Not a SEAL) The resistance to change is through out the service. We thank the man for folks like you. You're a breath of fresh air. Outstanding book!
Jfarley
Marcinko, thought writing the same book over and over, makes for a great afternoon... although you have to wash your mouth out with soap,etc afterwards.

He's so manly, there is hair on this book.
Linda
Nov 11, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was the best of the series. Though is work is "fictional" ... he makes sure you know it really isn't (he's just tweaked some names or locations to avoid going back to jail).
Mandie
Sep 28, 2008 Mandie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
apparently he got in trouble with the last book because of some "Military secrets" or whatnot so marcinko went to writing novels instead. Still funny and still good.
Abe
Jan 26, 2013 Abe rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book. I know this book is "fiction" but is it really real? It is an amazing story, true or not, with a brilliant ending.
Andrew
May 24, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad.. a fictionalized sequel to the first Rogue Warrior. A little dry and forced at times, but certainly entertaining.
Thom
Sep 02, 2013 Thom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave it a star even though I didn't want to...because Marcinko could probably find me and kill me.
Fred Malpass
Oct 08, 2012 Fred Malpass rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was just awful. Just a book full of posturing and tiny dick swinging, not worth the time for sure.
Suzanne
Feb 01, 2009 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2005-and-earlier
This book just pulled me in and I was completely enthralled by all that he wrote.
wally
Sep 21, 2010 wally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marcinko
lots of action, shooting, probably some drinking or two. very entertaining read!
Hildegart
I didn't find this book as enjoybable as the first Rogue Warrior book or Green Team.
Tomáš Sekerka
Oct 06, 2015 Tomáš Sekerka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zajímalo by mě, co z toho je pravda, a co fikce :) Zábavné čtení!
Timothy Boyd
The further "real life" adventures of the author. Recommended
Corinne
Good book. Not my favorite by Marcinko - but good none the less.
Jason
Jun 30, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book,i read it in 2001 my favorite from Demo Dick
Joe
Mar 09, 2007 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spynovels
Interesting look into the history of The Navy Seals.
Marlon
Jan 27, 2012 Marlon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sophomore book in the series. Definitely cheesy.
Micheal Childress
Great action. Helped me stay awake on night shift
Harry Diamond
Action packed but too much usless bad language
Lloyd
Feb 15, 2008 Lloyd rated it did not like it
Shelves: war
One of the worst books I've ever read
  • Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • Point Man
  • Rogue Threat (Threat, #2)
  • Sea of Fire (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #10)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Under Fire: An American Story - The Explosive Autobiography of Oliver North
  • The Kremlin Device (Geordie Sharp, #3)
  • Brother to Dragons
  • Zero
  • The Pocket Dangerous Book for Boys: Things to Do
  • Blueprint for Armageddon (Hardcore History #50-55)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising, #1)
  • Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • One Shot - One Kill
Richard Marcinko is the author of the Rogue Warrior thrillers and is a living, breathing hero honored with the silver star and four bronze stars for valor, along with two Navy Commendation medals and other honors. After serving in Vietnam, he went on to start and command SEAL Team 6, the Navy's anti-terrorist group, and Red Cell, a high-level anti-terrorist unit. Marcinko keeps his hand in the fie ...more
More about Richard Marcinko...

Rogue Warrior (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Rogue Warrior (Rogue Warrior, #1)
  • Green Team (Rogue Warrior, #3)
  • Task Force Blue (Rogue Warrior, #4)
  • Designation Gold (Rogue Warrior, #5)
  • Seal Force Alpha (Rogue Warrior, #6)
  • Option Delta (Rogue Warrior, #7)
  • Echo Platoon (Rogue Warrior, #8)
  • Detachment Bravo (Rogue Warrior, #9)
  • Violence of Action (Rogue Warrior, #10)
  • Vengeance (Rogue Warrior, #11)

“Experience had taught me that warthogs who tough it out are better in combat than your natural gazelles.” 1 likes
“The goddamn Air Force was probably taking a coffee break. That’s how they worked—like union bus-drivers—most of the time. Six or seven hours of flight time (not to exceed this or that altitude, of course), and then it was bye-bye for a didy change, a nap, and a cup of cocoa.” 1 likes