Start by marking “Elvis Takes a Back Seat” as Want to Read:
Elvis Takes a Back Seat

Elvis Takes a Back Seat

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  265 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
A young widow, determined to fulfill her husband’s last request, hauls a three foot bust of Elvis strapped in the back seat of a vintage Cadillac from Texas to Memphis to return it to its rightful owner. The road trip with her eccentric aunt, who knew the King of Rock n’ Roll, and a temperamental teen, who’s hiding her pregnancy, hits roadblocks and detours as the three wo ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by B&H Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Elvis Takes a Back Seat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvis Takes a Back Seat

Dale Harcombe
Dec 17, 2015 Dale Harcombe rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.
Being an avid Elvis fan, I could not resist this book and settled happily into this read. From the title I expected it to be a quick, light read, which is what I wanted after my last book. It is in some ways. The style is amusing and each chapter starts with the name of a song Elvis sang. There are lots of references throughout to Elvis and his music, all of which I could associate with and him singing the songs. But it is not all a light read as some deeper subjects are c
Michele
Nov 04, 2008 Michele rated it really liked it
Elvis Takes a Back Seatby award-winning novelist Leanna Ellis is the endearing story of Claudia, a young widow determined to fulfill her husband’s last request by hauling a three-foot bust of Elvis Presley in the backseat of a vintage Cadillac from Dallas to Memphis to return it to its rightful owner. The road trip—taken with an eccentric aunt who actually knew the “King of Rock ’n’ Roll,” and a temperamental teen with a suspicious mind of her own—hits some royal roadblocks and detours as these ...more
Kathyb
Dec 22, 2015 Kathyb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wish that Amazon or any other bookseller would state whether a book is a religious fiction. I liked this book fine until it got so preachy.
kelley
Oct 20, 2010 kelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, kindle
I downloaded Elvis Takes a Backseat as a free e-book offered from Kindle. I listened to it instead of reading it. The story is a pilgrimage for three women, Claudia, her Aunt Rae, and her friends daughter Ivy. The journey finds them all exploring their personal griefs, sharing common bonds, discovering secrets and coming to terms with what life has given them. This is Christian fiction so faith in God plays a large part in their ability to cope. The story was not light hearted although there wer ...more
fyc
Aug 04, 2008 fyc rated it really liked it
I learned that we all go through periods of doubt. Doubt about whether Christ is in our lives,doubts as to whether He loves us, doubts about whether He hears our prayers. It is also about omitting Him from our lives and the toll life takes on us when we don't lean on Him. This is a great novel for those questioning their faith.
Carolyn
Aug 11, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was ok
It was a book club book or I would have quit reading after about 25 pages. It didn't improve as I finished it. It is pretty silly, very light reading with not much plot. It's only redeeming feature is the way it deals with relationships between the characters. The plot was very predictible and boring.I won't choose this author again.
Amber Moore
May 18, 2011 Amber Moore rated it really liked it
This was a really cute book that ended up being not just about an elvis bust but also i feel about the loss and finding of faith in many different senerios. It is cute little read with undertones of faith. Not overpowering as some books can be. :)
Nov 16, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Well, I'm a big Elvis fan so the title drew me in. The book was ok, it kind of drug on with the drama at times and some of the slams on Elvis grated on me. Overall it was a nice story with a message.
Carolyn
Jun 23, 2013 Carolyn rated it really liked it
There were several things in this book that were predictable but so many of the issues were real life things. I loved how the three women were so different and yet weren't so different.m
Julie
Jan 26, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story and the characters and having been to Graceland and remember the day Elvis died, enjoyed the homage paid to the legend as part of the plot twists!
Caroline Clemmons
Oct 13, 2010 Caroline Clemmons rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book. I laughed, I cried, I couldn't stop reading. Elvis Takes A Back Seat is a delightful journey of discovery.
Cyndee
Jul 31, 2009 Cyndee rated it did not like it
I picked this book up at the library thinking it would be funny. It was not only not funny, it was predictable and preachy.
Paula
Jun 16, 2012 Paula rated it it was amazing
Love the story line and the characters. Will read again!
Diane Ferbrache
At a garage sale to clear out her deceased husband's stuff, Claudia comes across the large bust of Elvis that had been hidden away in the attic. Along with the bust was a note that seems to imply that she should return the bust to its home in Memphis. So Claudia, her aunt Rae, and a friend's teenage daughter head out to Memphis in a classic Cadillac with Elvis in the backseat.

This is a road trip story, but its really a story of love and grief and loss and how family and faith can help in the rec
Judy Iliff
May 23, 2011 Judy Iliff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Claudia is searching. She's not exactly sure what she needs or wants, but she knows things aren't as they should be. She lost too many people in her life, the latest being her husband who died in his middle 40s. Claudia is not the only one who is "lost". There's her Aunt Rae who epitomizes the free spirit of the 60's and Ivy who is 15. Claudia's husband loved everything Elvis. As she is getting ready for a yard sale to get rid of the things she's kept that were her husband's and others that were ...more
Julie Graves
Jan 20, 2010 Julie Graves rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
Claudia’s husband Stu has passed away. Claudia can’t seem to part with any of Stu’s things, including a huge bust of Elvis Presley.

Claudia relegated Elvis to the attic for the past 20 years. While going through Stu’s things she finds him(Elvis) along with a note from Stu stating that Elvis needs to be returned to Memphis.

Claudia, her Aunt Rae and Ivy(Stu’s best friend Ben’s daughter) set out from Dallas to Memphis to try to find out where Stu originally got the Elvis bust. Each woman has a reaso
Jean
Jan 31, 2012 Jean rated it it was ok
The writing was good and the editing better than most I've read in a e-book for a while, but the story is just a little wierd and a bit too conversional for my taste.
This is a story about a woman who has been a widow for a while, maybe a year and a half. She has also lost her mother, not so long before her husband and her father when she was young. The scene begings really at a garage sale of both her husband's and her mother's things, that her aunt and her boss, also her husband's best friend
Teresa Merriman
Jul 23, 2013 Teresa Merriman rated it really liked it
Fun read
Michelle
Apr 16, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
There are so many books out there and so little time to read them all. This is one story I recommend you take the time to enjoy. While there is nothing fluffy about this book, it does have it's humorous moments. There are also some very deep moments and emotional ties that develop between these friends whe secrets come out that challenge their beliefs. I found some of the struggles they dealt with to be very true-to-life. And when it comes to grief and loss, I dare say I don't think I've read an ...more
Donna
May 15, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
This was, for me, an enjoyable story. Using a setting of 3 women, each from a different generation and dealing with emotional pain and loss, on a journey to Memphis to return a large bust of Elvis, Leanna Ellis spins a tale of emotional healing and a return to faith and hope. Song titles from Elvis' hits formed the framework from which she told her story.
Carol Macdonald
Jun 26, 2014 Carol Macdonald rated it liked it
I would have given it four stars. The antics Elvis produced for these three women were humorous (talk about all things Elvis, this book had it)and the areas of turmoil each one was struggling with and how they eventually dealt with them was good reading, but the "Elvis ghost" sightings were a turn off to me.
Erin
Dec 31, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
Claudia takes on the final request of her husband with determination: to return a life-size bust of Elvis to its place of origin in Memphis. Joining her for the ride is 16-year-old Ivy and Claudia's aunt Rae, who lived in Memphis and knew Elvis back in the day. Three generations of women, two with carefully guarded secrets and one who needs to find herself again. This was far from the light-hearted tale it appears at first and I read it at a time when it spoke personally to me in a big way.

On th
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction
This imaginitive novel is about a woman who is trying to deal with the death of her husband--who loved all things Elvis. She discovers during a garage sale that the 3 foot Elvis bust he left behind contains a cryptic note about returning it to where it belongs. So next thing you know she is on the road with her aunt and her best friends teenage daughter heading to Memphis. These three women have secrets and issues they all need to work through and this pilgrimage becomes a time for them to do th ...more
Sharon Buxton
Feb 13, 2016 Sharon Buxton rated it it was ok
C-. humor
Judy King
I knew this wasn't a literary great when I began, but I was in the mood for something lighter and this was a cute premise. It was a fun read -- fast paced, good story line, interesting characters I came to care about. I could have done without the small bit of evangelism and a few too many references to belief -- still, Ellis kept that skim-able and palatable -- I prefer to separate church and fiction.
Cathy Hogan
Feb 20, 2016 Cathy Hogan rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable book. A lot of fun to read. I would call this Christian fiction. You learn as you read.
Holli
Jan 12, 2014 Holli rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read - but one you figure out the connection and Rae confirms it the last couple chaters are a slooooooooooooow
Kme_17
I got this one in the first read contest. This book was good. Nothing earth shattering but a decent read. It is about a women after the lost of her husband goes on a road trip to fulfill her husband’s last wish. She goes with her aunt and a teen who has her own issues. Very much a chick lit but a good one. Just a very sweet read.
Mitzi
Aug 19, 2011 Mitzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, this is a fun book of a woman looking for direction in her life. She is being given signs from God but isn't "seeing" the signs. It is funny with the Elvis bust she has. I am not a big Elvis fan, but this is a fun book that makes you think about the "signs" in our life!
Patty
Sep 14, 2013 Patty rated it it was ok
Lighthearted tale of three generations of women and how they deal with love, loss and letting go. Too predictable, and while the Elvis references were amusing, there were way too many. It distracted from the story after the first few chapters.
  • Once Around the Track (St. Dale, #2)
  • Flowers for Elvis
  • A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • Dancing In The Low Country
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • One Hit Wonder
  • Calling Home
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1)
  • Only You (Angel Ridge, #1)
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
  • Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)
  • Naomi and Her Daughters: A Novel
  • Woman of Sin
  • The Goddess of Fried Okra
  • Boob Tube
Deep in the heart not only describes where Leanna Ellis lives in Texas but also the way she writes. Her books, whether romance, inspirational, women’s fiction, or paranormal, are infused with heartfelt emotion. Having written twenty published novels, Ellis has won many awards including the National Readers Choice Award and the Maggie Award.

When not chasing vampires through the darkened recesses of
More about Leanna Ellis...