Start by marking “A House Divided” as Want to Read:
A House Divided

A House Divided

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Equal parts Edgar Allan Poe, Anne Rice, and Stephen King -- with a generous helping of jambalaya and crawfish pie -- Louisiana-born-and-bred horror maven Deborah LeBlanc's A House Divided is a supernatural thriller about a greedy building contractor who, after dividing and moving an old house, stirs up spirits better left undisturbed.

When Keith Lafleur discovers that he c
Published June 1st 2006 by Leisure Books (first published May 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A House Divided, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A House Divided

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonHell House by Richard MathesonThe Woman in Black by Susan HillHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Haunted Houses
144th out of 340 books — 421 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerSalem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
442nd out of 922 books — 1,271 voters

More lists with this book...

Kasia S.
This was my first time reading Deborah LeBlanc but it certainly won't be my last. It's so refreshing to find a writer who makes all the hard work that goes into writing seem so effortless. Everything in this novel flows of the pages and can really be read in one day if one has time. When I read that as a kid Deborah wanted to read every book in her local library I knew I would like her and I was right. She's a writer who loves to read and that shows in her work.

The story itself is very original
I can't even remember the last time I read a real ghost story, especially one that was so fast paced.

I was immediately sucked into the story and I kept reading and I really wanted to read until about page 150, where I just got sorta bored because it seemed like the same thing kept happening in every chapter.

I thought the writing was good and I liked all the characters. But the story kinda dragged towards the middle. But towards the end it did pick back up and became a super easy book to finish
Jordan Anderson
I've been a fan of Leisure books ever since they introduced me to Brian Keene. Now, sure, not every one of their novels have been amazing and few have left me disappointed, but generally speaking, there are few companies that did such a good job of consistently pumping out a steady stream of horror novels as Dorchester did with this imprint. Maybe that's why, regardless of the author or subject matter, I try my best to snag up these now defunct publications, as many of them are no longer publish ...more
There's a reason that the old wives' tale of "It seems too good to be true, it is." still holds through these days. Too bad Keith Lafleur either didn't hear those words or paid them no heed. Keith stumbles into a killer deal. A huge old farmhouse for free. The only thing that he had to do was move it off the property as the new landowners were building on the property and had no need for the house. Keith decides that he will divide the house and put a business and apartment in each half. Two fri ...more
It's supposed to be horror, but other than the initial non-violent murder, and the haunted guy killing off characters I didn't care much about anyway, it was pretty funny.
Beth Gibson
I like horror stories but find so few people who know how to write them. This one is more of a ghost story. Though the characterization is done well, I also felt the characterization was too stereotyped. At times I felt like I was "watching" the Ice Cube movie "Barbershop." The strange things that are happening are compelling enough to keep reading to see what is causing it all. It is fairly fast paced and you have the regular hero and heroine to cheer for. Where I felt the book fell flat was th ...more
Oct 15, 2007 Biz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
This book started out interestingly with a flashback prologue and then forward to the present. That's where it lost me a little bit in that some of the characters were a little too stereotypical. However...

What started as stereotypical ended up giving the characters full voices and making them real to me. I didn't expect that I would like them as much as I did.

The story was interesting..what if a house that was haunted by a family was cut in half and sold as two seperate houses. The family split
This is not a genre I'd normally read.
My favorite character was Tawana. There are lots of twists and it is gross in parts.

Matt Daigle buys a house and turns it into a cafe where the locals flock to eat home-cooked meals. He and his young son, Seth, live on the second floor of the cafe.

Laura and Tawana purchase a house, two houses down from the cafe, and turn it into a beauty shop. They both live on the second floor, along with Tawana's special-needs cousin, Angelica.

Strange events start to o
Mar 10, 2009 Stormy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Overall I enjoyed this book. Fast paced and the plot left enough unanswered questions to keep you turning the pages.

The plot is fresh and a different spin on the supernatural and paranormal and makes you ask the question what does happen when things are not a rest.

A few of the main characters to me where a bit weak and seemed more like minor players and one of the minor players I felt belonged in the role as lead male. However, I liked the authors voice and enjoyed the story.

I would recommend
I absolutely loved this book. It kept me on edge. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I absolutely loved it. I won't say more as it may ruin the book
A nice change-of-pace horror book set in and around New Orleans... When a house (..with a history) is broken in two and moved to a new location to serve as two new businesses- 'things' don't always stay behind. The "prose" is written with a real Nawlins drawl, which brings an aspect of reality - yet seems to take away from the experience. However, the story does grow with suspense and really keeps you intrigued.
Colleen Alfano
I really enjoyed this book. I only have time to read at night while in bed after I put the kids down so I usually don't get to far into the book before falling asleep. This book, however, kept moving right along. I found it hard to put down resulting in some very late nights for me. That's okay though because a good book is worth it! I look forward to reading something else from this author.
Creepy read all the way to the end! Fast paced & easy to follow with likable characters. Deborah has done it one more you right in from Chapter 1 & won't let you go til the last page. And even then I find myself sitting in silence stunned for a few more moments. Here's MY dilemma, THIS WAS THE LAST BOOK! No More, all done. Southern Horror Withdraw setting in~~~~~~~
Kelly Truelove
This was actually my second Deborah LeBlanc book, and I found it enjoyable, overall. While predictable at times and certainly not intellectually "deep" or utterly intriguing, I found it an enjoyable read. It was a perfect leisurely read, one that didn't take too much thought to enjoy and was a fun escape into a haunted house story.
Lyle Hansen
Very well laid out story. It pulled me in from page 1 and kept me enthralled throughout. I felt like I was in the story and could see and feel what was happening. The idea of the story was a very good one and it is the first book that I have read that did this. It is a quick read and only took me two days to complete.
Tracy Walters
This is a copy that has been autographed by the author. I was excited to read this book because it had an intriguing story line. The characters are pretty good and the story is also pretty good until the end. The ending was a HUGE she just gave up and didn't even try to finish the book.
Linda Mitchell
The writing is a bit elementary. I am a huge King fan and just read "Under the Dome" which was amazing. So, to go right to this book was not the best move. The story had a lot of potential but I had a hard time staying interested.
I grew a little tired of the banter the "Tawana" character provided in the book but once I hit "middle of the book" the storyline gripped me. Old Cajun hoodoo, reincarnation, hauntings......These are all right up my alley.
This book was pretty good. It kept my interest enough to where I will def. seek out more from her. There were moments in it that slowed down a bit and bored me but not enough to downgrade my rating.
Jennifer Madden
Creepy and fascinating. I just had to know what happened. The author does such an amazing job of describing Louisiana places, people, food, etc.
Lisa Greer
This is the second LeBlanc I've tried to like. I just don't like the writer's style, and beyond the first ten pages, it is just not that scary.
Had some supernatural elements that I usually don't like, but this book moved fast! Good break from usual stuff I read!!
A fast and gripping read. The story is graphic at parts but overall more amusing than scary.
A good ghost story. It was scary, gory and had a little romance and 2 surprise twists.
It was ok, kept me busy while waiting for tests at the hospital.
Oct 04, 2008 Jasmine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes horror/suspense
Recommended to Jasmine by: my mom
This book is filled with suspense, that puts you over the edge.
Meh.....ok read when I needed something easy and without depth.
very good story ,enjoyed it very much
and LOVING it!
  • Shaking Off the Dust
  • The Haunted: One Family's Nightmare
  • 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories
  • Haunted Lily: The Nightmare Ball
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
  • Quiet Houses
  • House of Fear
  • Deathbringer
  • The Haunting of Pico
  • The Uninvited: The True Story of the Union Screaming House
Best-selling author, Deborah LeBlanc, is a business owner, a licensed death scene investigator, and an active paranormal investigator. She served four years as president of the Horror Writers Association, eight years as president of The Writers Guild of Acadiana, and two years as President of the Mystery Writers of America’s Southwest Chapter.

Deborah is also the creator of Literacy Inc., a non-pr
More about Deborah Leblanc...