Start by marking “The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)

The Twisted Citadel (Darkglass Mountain #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,423 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Tencendor is no more. The land is gone. But a few SunSoars remain, and a new foe walks the world.

In a time of magic and danger, three new heroes have stepped forward—Ishbel Brunelle, priestess of the Serpent Coil; Isaiah, the Tyrant of Isembaard; and Maximilian, the Lord of Elcho Falling. Yet despite their best efforts, the Dark God Kanubai has risen. And worse yet, war ap...more
Published May 27th 2008 by Harper Voyager (first published May 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Twisted Citadel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twisted Citadel

The Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGraceling by Kristin CashoreThe Hero of Ages by Brandon SandersonThe Painted Man by Peter V. BrettLast Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie
2008 DGLA Fantasy Book Nominees
21st out of 97 books — 217 voters
Sabriel by Garth NixObernewtyn by Isobelle CarmodyDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierProgeny of Innocence by Patti RobertsThe Angels Are Here by Patti Roberts
Best Australian Fantasy Reads
82nd out of 198 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Logan
Aug 21, 2009 Logan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious fans of The Wayfarer Redemption
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
My feelings about this book are about the same as those I had for The Serpent Bride. I was unable to put it down, so I must have at least liked it, but I still find myself disappointed with the writing.

This one took significantly longer to get anywhere (I thought Maximilian and his army would be traveling and setting up camp and taking down camp and traveling forever), but the plodding narrative allowed me to finally identify what bothers me about the DarkGlass Mountain books.

a) The writing is d...more
Jenny J
The slightly-cliched plot thickens... and thickens... and as it does it gets slower and slower. And yet the writing in this epic fantasy trilogy continues to be top-notch, and the final image of the lost citadel rising, shining and majestic, out of thin air is gorgeous and more than a little cinematic--I think I'll stick around for the third and final book.
Shari  Mulluane
♦ What I Liked: I simply cannot imagine anybody claiming that this tale started out slow, or even bogged down in any part of the book. The balance of this book and series so far blows me away. The tension is steady, obstacles are overcome but always seem to come at a price which creates a new obstacle. Surprises abound. Just when you are sure that Soandso is one type person, they turn into someone completely different. Just when you think you have a handle on a situation, it turns out you could...more
T. Edmund
After my scathe-view of [[ASIN:B001C2DEDU The Serpent Bride (DarkGlass Mountain, Book 1)]] its probably not surprising that I rate Twisty City a little higher (no-where to go but up right?)

The story continues with characters Axis, Maxis, and several names beginning with I that this reviewer struggled to distinguish between.

There's also a new villain in town, which kinda makes the first book's bad-guy build-up redundant, and a mysterious race addition to the world.

All in all though the series con...more
Jared
Oct 06, 2010 Jared rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
I have been debating whether to wait and post this once the entire series is completed or to post it now, and have decided that I want my opinion on this series know before the trilogy comes to an end. So without further ado:

The Serpent Bride and The Twisted Citadel by Sara Douglass are part of the DarkGlass Mountain series which takes Ms. Douglass other series, the Wayfarer Redemption, and two stand-alone novels, Beyond the Hanging Wall and Threshold, and combines them into one story. I had no...more
Substance
Apr 12, 2010 Substance rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody

ive always enjoyed her stories about axis and all his adventures, but i think sara has kinda lost the edge, i felt that this book didnt match up to the previous adventures...there was something missing..
and it felt like the plot was rushed.

it was always going to be hard for this book to live up to expectations considering i had just finished george martins a song of ice and fire.

you can feel the difference in story, and how much better george is at creating the scene and mood.

there were parts in...more
Beaulah Pragg
I should mention to begin with that I have not yet read the first book in the Darkglass Mountain Series (The Serpent Bride) so things were a little chaotic jumping straight into book two. Having said that, the beginning was definitely interesting enough to keep me going. I enjoyed the character Ishbel and liked watching her grow from a needy and suddenly discarded wife into a very powerful woman who won her husband back without even meaning to.

Being a middle book, the Twisted Citadel didn't real...more
Angela
Sep 02, 2012 Angela added it
Amanda
I first read Australian author Sara Douglass's Wayfarer Redemption series (or, in the original publication run, the Axis trilogy) in high school and quickly became a fan. I devoured each book as it hit shelves and even stayed loyal through the second half of the series (the last three books). Then the enchanted world Tencendor ended and Douglass moved on to other stories, other worlds. The next novel of her that I picked up was The Troy Game, which I absolutely hated. It was painful for me to re...more
Jenn
WHEW! Big sigh of relief! Not nearly the disaster it could have been! So I'm still really irritated by her new liberal use of f**k and also there was an abysmal lack of StarDrifter in this book. Seriously I know Axis was the hero once but he's totally a washed up has been. Mostly it's that he's just not as exciting as he used to be I really just don't care what he's thinking about StarDrifter on the other hand really want to be in his head....didn't get to.
Ok now that I've ranted a little, asid...more
Angevon
This is the second book in the series, but, to be honest, I liked it more than the concluding volume simply because of the ending. (view spoiler).

The first book ended with (view spoiler)

It would be great if this volume was mostly (view spoiler)...more
Adellet
I really enjoyed seeing Ishbel coming into her own in this book. Her and Maxel's break up at the end of the Serpent Bride broke my heart but I loved that she came out of it a stronger character.

Despite the few unexpected, brutal twists, overall i really felt that this was a 'waiting' book (waiting to get to Elcho Falling, waiting to get news, waiting for people to choose their loyalties etc) and found that it dragged a bit at times. However, I still give it four stars because I love all of Dougl...more
Sueij
Well, mostly more of the same for me as when I read _The Serpent Bride_: too much missing history (as I didn't read seven of the prequels) and too many disparate kinds of magic.

I was also personally distracted by some of the naming in the book. Every time I saw "Elcho Falling" I saw it as "Echo," the place Isembaard only rang in my head as Isengard from _Lord of the Rings_, and Georgdi read as Geordi from Star Trek: TNG (the guy with the banana clip over his eyes). But the story was, once again...more
Eva Mitnick
I feel so guilty - I spent all weekend reading this massive fantasy tome, part 2 of the DarkGlass trilogy, when I could have been reading children's or YA fiction to review on my blog. Sometimes one just has to feed one's addictions and to heck with the consequences...
This was as entertaining as part 1 and even more fast-paced (good thing, considering the number of pages) - some quirky bits kept it from sinking into ponderous High Fantasy mode more than once or twice.
Ruth
c2008: "I shall find my strength in the beat of your heart" Courtesy of The SF Site: Australian author Sara Douglass Warneke (b.1957) died on September 26 2011 of ovarian cancer, with which she was diagnosed in 2010. Warneke, who wrote as Sara Douglass, had several of her historical based fantasies published in the US, including The Wayfarer Redemption series, the Crucible series, The Troy Game, and The Devil's Diadem, published in August.

Candace
I love half of Sara Douglass's books. This one was difficult to read, mainly I think because there are too many things happening and there was nothing that I really wanted to happen in it. I am going to read the next one, but I don't like the fact that I have absolutely no idea how she is going to finish it, and the problems seem so huge, that without an absolutely spectacular finale I am going to be left disappointed.
Annette
I just finished reading the Twisted Citadel and loved it just as much as the first time. It's full of great storytelling, wonderfully rich characters, sorcery, deception, treachery, intrigue, suspense and plot twists!

Now finally, after waiting at least two years, I can move on to the third and final installment of the DarkGlass Mountain series: The Infinity Gate. Yay!

Here I come.
Theresa
The first book in this three book series, The Serpent Bride is really good, but the story goes downhill progressively with each book. The last one, The Infinity Gate is a series of convenient miracles, almost as if the author wrote herself into a box and asked, "How can I pull a rabbit out of this hat?" As other world epics go it is so-so.
Skip
Sep 19, 2009 Skip rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Douglass really seems to enjoy cliff hanger endings. One story, three books. I would wait until the 3rd novel is published to start this series. Good thoughts to Sara Warneke (Douglass) as she recovers from treatment for ovarian cancer. And not just so that she finishes The Infinity Gate--I'm a horrible person, but not that bad.
Amy
This is one of those books, like most of Sara Douglass' stuff, where if I have the time I can sit down and read for hours. I thought it was a good continuation of the series and then the ending completely blew me away. Did not see that one coming. So when is the next book coming out?
Susan
As much as I liked Serpent Bride, I love the second book in the Dark Glass Mountain series. Maybe because I was more familiar with the characters, but even then there were a couple of twists I did not expect. Definitely worth the read. Now where is Number 3??
Karen Brooks
I love Sara Douglass' work. She knows how to tell a rollicking story, keep you turning the page and waiting to see in which direction she is going to take you, let alone her besieged characters. This book is no different and, like her others, I could not put it down!
Joy
Douglass has a clean, no frills type of story telling. It reminds me of Hero Myths with many trials for the Heroes and many god like magical creatures without any complex attempts to explain how they get their magic. They just are magic. Fast paced and enjoyable.
Angus Mcfarlane
I enjoyed the story as with others she has written, but I find the 'cosmology' difficult to understand. I was hoping this might have reached a conclusion in only two books but alas....I will have to wait.
Leisa
I was really annoyed at myself for not bringing book 3 in to work, when I knew I would finish book 2 at lunchtime. I got to the end of the book and really wanted to start on book 3 immediately!
Kera Wyatt
This is a no set down book. By the end you have to have the next book, which isn't out yet!!!! I haven't found out when it's coming out, but i can't wait. Lots of betrayl in this book.
Anne Berkeley
I looked forward to reading this one, as with the second. It was great to see how the characters grew. I was a little disappointed at the ending, but overall, it was still a good read.
Julie
I'm really enjoying this trilogy. So many characters that keep changing allegances. The end of this book was quite a surprise, but ended well. Can't wait for the next book.
Sheila Otterstrom
Even better than the first in the series! Love Ishbel getting some grit and fire, definitely a cliff hanger, hold onto your seats!
Jami
Nov 30, 2008 Jami rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Jami by: Me, I LOVE this author!!
Oh my god what an amazing author. My only complaint is that I have to wait for her to write the next book in this series... :(
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • Odalisque (Percheron, #1)
  • The Well of Tears (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #2)
  • The Spirit Stone (The Silver Wyrm, #2) (The Dragon Mage, #5)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas...more
More about Sara Douglass...
The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1) Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2) Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3) Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4) Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)