Strange Attractors

Strange Attractors

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Max finds himself in possession of a time travel device which is eagerly sought by two desperate men, the scientist who invented it and the scientist's alter ego from a different timeline.
Published January 30th 1990 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Attractors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Attractors

Julie Sondra Decker
Max, a teenage science enthusiast, is about to go on a laboratory visit, only to receive a call the day before his trip from the people he's supposed to visit--Dr. Sylvan and Eve. And they want back an item he supposedly took from their lab--before he's been there. After piecing together the information he's got, Max realizes something odd is happening with time travel, all linked to a very special calculator, and there are in fact two sets of Dr. Sylvan and Eve. Max has to determine which one o...more
Swankivy
All of William Sleator's books, pretty much, are good for young science fiction readers. He has a way of taking even science fiction clichés and making them something to wonder about again.

This one dealt with time travel and did so really well. I love how this author really makes you get sucked up into experiencing the attitudes of the characters. Despite the weirdness that happened because of it in the book, I wanted one of those calculators. . . .
Diana Welsch
WILLIAM SLEATOR IS THE MAN! When I see his books I just can't help myself. I bought Strange Attractors at a library discard booksale.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, this book is about a teen named Max who visits the lab of a physicist on a class trip. But he wakes up the next day with no memory of the previous day and the visit to the lab.

It turns out, the physicist from the lab has invented a phaser that can transport people and objects around in time. The problem is, if you go into...more
Jerome Murphy
Sleator specialized in sleek tales of almost menacing urgency, in which his (rather blank) first-person narrators relate a basic speculative premise unfolding via a logical domino effect. An example would be his underrated THE DUPLICATE, in which a teen clones himself only to encounter the duplicate's own agenda, which involves successive duplicates, and the decreasing quality of reproduction. Like those of Borges, his narratives are often mathematically inspired - but, as YA fiction, stay on th...more
Kyliecallme
This was one of my FAVORITE books in middle school! So much so that I haven't seen/held it since the 90s but I still remember the title. Reading "Timebound" by Rysa Walker right now. Falling in love w/it... And the subject matter reminded me of this treasured old book, which I should really read again one day :)

4 stars only because IDK if younger Me's tastes are the same as my current ones :)
Cheryl in CC NV
A little too tame for teens, but the main character has just graduated from high school, and there are situations where our boy has to decline drugs, so it's not really a juvenile. Mostly adventure, not much complexity. Not enough provocative ideas about the ramifications of the premise - that is to say, it touched on, but didn't explore, the big "What If...?" that is the hallmark of better SF. I was going to give it two stars, but the last few pages gave me something to think about & a bit...more
Paul Eccles
My godmother got me this book when I was 12. Read it several times from age 12-16. It's a great read, ideal for teens. The characters are well written and the plot is very intriguing - the time travel in this book is just outstanding, the imagination of the future and past is very convincing. The devolution into chaos and allusions to chaos theory are very thought-provoking yet accessible. I loved it!
Kristen H
I gave this book only one star because I didn't really relate to this book. This book talks a lot about science tools and science expirements. Sleator wants Max to forget everthing he already knows so he won't give the phaser to anybody else. This book has good word choice because they used a lot of adjectives and don't use common words.
Aiyana
Sleator manages to take a simple pun and turn it into an intruiging story of the future, the choices we make, and chaos theory. Brilliant.
Andrew Ten broek
Andrew Ten broek marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
May 19, 2014
Amy Riccadonna
Amy Riccadonna marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Lisa E. Wagner
Lisa E. Wagner marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Shweta Sridhar
Shweta Sridhar marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
William Warner Sleator III was born in Havre de Grace, Maryland on February 13, 1945, and moved to St. Louis, MO when he was three. He graduated from University City High School in 1963, from Harvard in 1967 with BAs in music and English.

For more than thirty years, William Sleator thrilled readers with his inventive books. His House of Stairs was named one of the best novels of the twentieth cent...more
More about William Sleator...
House of Stairs Interstellar Pig (Interstellar Pig #1) The Boy Who Couldn't Die Singularity The Boy Who Reversed Himself