Start by marking “God Speaks Navajo” as Want to Read:
God Speaks Navajo

God Speaks Navajo

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  9 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Updated Edition with new matieral added. Two unlikely players emerge as the heroes of this narrative: Geronimo Martin, a blind Navajo Indian, and Faye Edgerton, a little white woman in poor health. Gifted and determined, from two different cultures, they prayed and persevered, and finally produced the Navajo New Testament in 1956. At a time when English was used in churche ...more
Paperback
Published by Wycliffe (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about God Speaks Navajo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Speaks Navajo

Michael
Jan 28, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-in-english
So I picked up this book because I was interested in the Navajo translation process itself, and not necessarily the Bible aspect, but I got that and more. I was actually really pleased with how good the book was. There were a couple unexpected parts, like the reference to the Nebraska homesteaders and the Japanese colonization of Korea that served as nice reminders of some significant events in history that we sometimes forget about.

As for the Navajo part of the story, there were times when I fe
Kristina
Apr 25, 2012 Kristina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians, indians, linguists,
This book was very insightful about linguistics and culture and the dedication required to accurately translate any important work, especially something as important as faith. Faye Edgerton became dedicated to translating the bible to Navajo early in life and remained faithful to that until the time of her death. With the help of a blind Navajo Indian man, Geronimo Martin, some ground breaking work was done.

It became clear in a very short order that it wouldn't be a simple translation, but would
V-ann Davis
Dec 04, 2015 V-ann Davis rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel even more excited about learning a Native American language. It really made me feel good to know that there are people out there who want to help other language groups learn about the Bible, and in their own language.I loved this book and look forward to adding it to my reading shelves for future reading as well.
Mapperachel Matsudaira
Mapperachel Matsudaira rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
David Scott
David Scott marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Melissa Fry Beasley
Melissa Fry Beasley rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Lance Towers
Lance Towers rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Audrey Grant
Audrey Grant marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2011
Josue Manriquez
Josue Manriquez rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2011
Wes
Wes rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2007