Start by marking “When Ryan Came Back” as Want to Read:
When Ryan Came Back

When Ryan Came Back

Steven's life changes forever the day he discovers his childhood friend and lifelong crush, Ryan Walters, standing in his bedroom. The problem? Ryan Walters committed suicide just days earlier.

Ryan tells Steven that he didn't kill himself. He believes he was murdered and that his death is linked to an article he was working on for the school paper. Steven sets out to solve
Published October 16th 2014 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about When Ryan Came Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Ryan Came Back

Ómorphi by C. KennedySlaying Isidore's Dragons by C. KennedySafe by C. KennedyTales from Foster High by John  Goode151 Days by John  Goode
Harmony Ink Press
60th out of 110 books — 56 voters
Mikey and the Chickadee by Kid BoiseTapping Darkness by KrackenRoman by Marlene K. SladeNormal Miguel by Erik OrrantiaMaladaptation by L.A. Fields
Lesser-Known M/M Books
207th out of 340 books — 342 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*DNF at 28%*

I probably shouldn't have tried to read this book, but it has some great reviews from a few of my friends and when the author reached out to offer a review copy, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I find mysteries in general to be a difficult genre for me. I read very few of them, and I often give them mediocre ratings. My record with Josh Lanyon is a testament to that. This book might have been able to win me over in the end, but I wasn't interested enough to stick around and try.

I wasn
Sandra
I have to say, this one threw me for a loop. Did I stay up until 1:30 in the morning to finish it even though I had to wake up for work at 7:30? Yeah, I did. Did I get totally fooled by the M. Night Shyamalan twists and red herrings? Yup, you know it. Did I have no idea what was going on, love-interest wise? No clue. And I really enjoyed all of it.

I went into this thinking that his BFF was gonna come back from the dead and they were gonna realize they loved each other. I was both devastated and
Kazza
Jun 07, 2015 Kazza rated it it was amazing

I loved this YA book. Romance. Mystery. A Ghost. School. Realisations. Feelings - teenage love, discovery, lies, hurt, comfort, friendships and family.

Giveaway 13th-16th of Octoberhttp://ontopdownunderbookreviews.com/...

Only Steven can see Ryan. Ryan Walters, Ryan, who he wanted to love and be loved back by.

description

It's hard being a teenager when you have a ghost to contend with. Not letting on to anyone what is happening when a lot of other things are going on in your life. When you find out that your
Cindi
Full review can be found at Greedy Bug Book Reviews.

A ghost. A mystery. An unusual romance. An outstanding book.

Ryan has committed suicide. His friend Steven can't quite grasp the fact that the boy he has secretly loved for years is gone. Where are the tears? The all-consuming grief? Why can't he feel anything over the loss? Then Ryan makes an appearance in Steven's bedroom - not long after Ryan's funeral. Steven, understandably, freaks out over seeing the ghost of the boy he's always loved. Whe
Devon McCormack
Jun 14, 2014 Devon McCormack marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: ya-glbt, i-wrote-this
Just signed the contract for this book with Harmony Ink Press. Release date: Oct/Nov 2014.
Littles Books

Grieve, mystery, family, friendship, love, sci-fi… When Ryan Came back has it all. As I’ve already acknowledged, Mr. McCormack’s incursion into the Young Adult genre is way over successful.

In this YA M/M romance, Steven Chase is a regular teenager in every possible way; he is terrified of coming out, of applying to college, of finding a job, essentially, he is terrified of growing up. He is just like everyone else, until he is not. Suddenly he finds himself being able to talk to Ryan Walters, hi

Jo Newton
Feb 21, 2016 Jo Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another up-all-nighter (who needs sleep?)

This book, oh man. You know what? No, it's not that simple. I don't understand how Devon McCormack does it. Every book he writes has an ending I did not see coming! I don't know if I should be awed by this talent or angry that he keeps doing this. I'm toying with the idea that he may be a witch.
So back to the review. Steven, such a great character, I loved his self description of Charlie Brown. He seems like your average senior, just going to school, cr
GayListBookReviews
Oct 28, 2014 GayListBookReviews rated it really liked it
This is a compelling and difficult read.I was sucked in and read right through to the end. A complex story that is at times funny, sweet, heartbreaking, silly, frustrating, tragic, and endearing. It is not for the faint of heart or those looking for a light and easy read. It isn't a romance or a fluffy bit of fun. I was hooked early on and found myself racing through the twists and turns and riding the emotional roller coaster alongside Steven.

Steven is a senior in high school. He isn’t popular
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewer: Sandra
Genre: M/M Young Adult
4 Hearts

Review:
I have to say, this one threw me for a loop. Did I stay up until 1:30 in the morning to finish it even though I had to wake up for work at7:30? Yeah, I did. Did I get totally fooled by the M. Night Shyamalan twists and red herrings? Yup, you know it. Did I have no idea what was going on, love-interest wise? No clue. And I really enjoyed all of it.

Owen Harvey
Jan 24, 2015 Owen Harvey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: previews
At first I didn't expect much from this book, although the bio sounded fairly promising, the whole premise of a ghost doesn't really do it for me. But the book was surprisingly brilliant. It didn't focus on the idea that he was a ghost too much, it was as if he really was there with Steven but at the same time he wasn't - which was heartbreaking because towards the end when Ryan finally admitted his feelings for Steven, it was too late. They couldn't interact, even though they had finally told ...more
Joyfully Jay
Nov 28, 2014 Joyfully Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jason
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

The more Steven digs, the more that the ghost of Ryan evades and the worse Ryan’s situation turns out to have been. Suicide seems the most likely cause of Ryan’s death regardless of Ryan’s protests, and yet Steven can’t leave well enough alone and feels the need to prove that the boy he loved did not kill himself.

The suicide and its after effects felt odd because, at times, I laughed at some of the dialogue spoken at the funeral. I attended a high school where stude
Monika

This book is a difficult one to review; while some of it worked there were things that just didn’t hit the mark. The main characters were sweet, it had some humorous moments that had me chuckling, there were moments I wanted to reach for a tissue and for the most part the mystery was okay. With that said this should have been a winner for me, unfortunately it wasn’t. I didn’t dislike the story, far from it, but I couldn’t fall in love with it either.

I like the characters and even though I though
amomentsilence
Actual rating is around a 3, maybe 3.5 stars because it was okay, even if it wasn't the greatest. I doubt I'll ever forget it, but I probably won't be reading it again anytime soon.

This book was alright. A sort of typical teen-mystery thing with a "gay twist," if that's what you want to call it. I doubt I'd recommend it to anyone, unless they were really REALLY curious. The ridiculously slow parts in the middle and beginning as well as that abrupt ending didn't help it any, so I'm really not tha
Lala
4.25 stars.

Steven's life turns upside down after his friend Ryan's death. Struggling with grief, suddenly he is haunted by Ryan's ghost who demands Steven investigate his death... The more Steven investigates, the more secrets he finds out. He is surrounded by lies, he is grieving for Ryan and heartbroken, and it turns out the uncovering of old mysteries may very well be the end of him.

Well, this book was pretty great! A gripping mystery which kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, a swe
Jolien

Review first published on my blog The Fictional Reader

This is one of those books I should’ve read and reviewed ages ago. When I first started my blog, I requested way too many books from Netgalley. Now I’m still trying to read them all -even if my reading tastes have changed ever since. Yet I’ve been in a mystery-book-mood lately, so I figured it was the perfect time to try and read this. The synopsis sounds like tons of fun. Unfortunately, I had some problems with it.

In itself, the my
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Reviewed at The Blogger Girls.

When his best friend dies, Steven is devastated but also strangely numb to it all. But when Ryan shows up in his room unexpectedly, Steven is beyond freaked especially when Ryan tells him that he didn’t commit suicide but was murdered. Badgered into finding out the truth, Steven goes in search of answers but the more Steven investigates, the more he realizes he didn’t know Ryan at all. Even still, Steven is determined to get answers and in doing so, he may have disc
Polychrome Ink
What I enjoyed the most about When Ryan Came Back is Steven’s characterisation. He is a well-balanced, realistic, and believable character. He is a teenage boy through and through, and I liked that he is not perfect. I really enjoyed the underlying sarcastic commentary in his head. He ended up thinking exactly what I would be thinking in several of the situations he found himself in. It provided a light heartedness throughout the story that is not overdone, and is perfectly timed.

Ryan held less
Love Bytes Reviews
Oct 22, 2014 Love Bytes Reviews rated it really liked it
4 star review by Dan

I enjoyed the mystery in this book. Although it is targeted towards young adults, I found it to be very enjoyable for adults as well. The central underlying plot of the story is that Ryan committed suicide. He never knew that Steven was in love with him because he was straight and had a girlfriend; and even though they were friends, Steven never told him. But now Ryan has come back. He shows up at Steven’s house, in Steven’s bedroom and Steven is the only one who can see him
Melek
Jan 01, 2015 Melek rated it it was ok
Okay, so. After requesting way too many thrillers and busting my ass off to finish them during last summer, I promised not to touch another mystery novel for review ever again, but I then I saw this, saw the unrequited love for the best friend concept, saw the M/M concept and I didn't even bother reading the second paragraph before requesting. Needless to say, I was excited about it.

Then I got approved and started reading it when I had the chance the other day. Dreams crushed.

It's not especially
Sieran
Aug 14, 2016 Sieran rated it really liked it
A very touching and gripping story. I was still reeling from it emotionally after I finished reading the book. Steven is quite adorable, likable, and easy to sympathize with. Though I’m still not sure if I like Ryan or not, I do feel very bad for him. I agree with another reviewer that I did not suspect the answer to the whodunit at all.

The relationship between Steven and Ryan was pretty interesting, and I don’t just mean the romance; I mean their friendship as well. I also like how Ryan has a p
Erin
Jan 07, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
ARC for review.

Well-written YA semi-environmental mystery, semi-ghost story with an interesting romance at its center. Ryan is a high school student who apparently killed himself. Steven was his close friend, but always harbored a secret crush. Now Ryan is back, and only Steven can see him - Ryan insists his death was no suicide and seeks Steven's help in figuring out what really happened.

Separate from the mystery/ghost components (and a fairly surprising ending) we have some typical YA territ
Sweetp-1
Jan 04, 2015 Sweetp-1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, ebook, m-m, mystery
When Ryan Came Back is an excellent fast paced YA mystery.
The novel begins with Steven in a state of denial about his friend's suicide. A friend he has secretly been in love with. His confusion only gets worse when Ryan appears as a ghost in his bedroom.
THe premise sounds a bit corny but once you get over the suspension of disbelief this novel just steams away. Steven tries to help Ryan figure out what happened to him and along the way gets caught up in various schemes and mysteries. Its fast p
Max Baker
Jan 01, 2015 Max Baker rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-reviewed, lgbtqia
Thank you to Netgalley for a digital review copy in exchange for an honest review

So...this is a DNF book for me. I got maybe half way through it before I just couldn't take it any more. The characters were boring, the plot went no where, and the mystery was so annoyingly dragged out I literally didn't care who killed Ryan or if he was just fucking with Steven.

I think the main problem here is the writing. McCormack's writing just wasn't that entertaining. He seemed to rush through every scene and
Raj
Jan 03, 2015 Raj rated it it was ok
The story is riveting despite its basic execution.It's very linear with no real depth of character.This book was almost as if someone was reading a newspaper article to me about a train wreck & I could hear the horror of the tragedy but my other senses were dead & I was not very involved in the telling of it.That's how this novel felt to me.I would read the sequel if the reader was made more of a participant instead of just a listener.
Mandi Alva
Aug 07, 2015 Mandi Alva rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
**I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

I didn't expect to like this as much as I did. When I first started reading it I thought I wouldn't be giving it a very high rating but 3 stars isn't bad for me! Some of the writing was a bit off for me but I really loved the characters and the twists at the end. I haven't read much mystery but I did not see them coming. This was a great read.
Andrea
May 26, 2015 Andrea added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 28%

Mysteries are a very hit or miss genre for me. This one was a big miss. It started off great with the ghost of Ryan coming back and visiting Steven. Then the mystery of Ryan's death took over. I lost interest when the mystery took center stage. No rating for this one since I was the problem, not the book.
Gervan
Jul 31, 2016 Gervan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, male-protag, 2014
DNF at 48%

This book really wasn't for me. I tried to finish it but I was definitely struggling. I didn't like any of the characters but Lindsey and she rarely made appearances after the first scene in the book. Also the mystery just wasn't that interesting to me.

This book just wasn't for me.
HNGC Library
Jan 10, 2015 HNGC Library rated it it was ok
Steven's life long crush, Ryan, dies and then shows up in his bedroom as a ghost. Ryan wants Steven to help figure out why he died - because he says he didn't commit suicide. Steven gets sucked into the murder mystery and plays detective and along the way finds out that Ryan was hiding some pretty large secrets.
jules0623
It took a turn from drama to soapie at the second attempt on the MC's life. And I didn't love the ending. Felt very abrupt and unsatisfying.
  • Heartless (Keeping Secrets #1)
  • Supermassive
  • Finding Our Way (Finding Our Way, #1)
  • Nail Polish and Feathers (Deep Secrets and Hope, #1)
  • Lake Thirteen
  • Objects in the Rearview Mirror (Memoirs of the Human Wraiths #2)
  • A Broken Kind of Life
  • Safe
  • The Battle for Jericho
  • Outshine the Stars
  • Fifty Yards and Holding
  • One Door Closes (Secrets of Neverwood, #1)
  • Pitch (Transitions, #1)
  • Children of the Knight
Devon McCormack spends most of his time hiding in his lair, adventuring in paranormal worlds with his island of misfit characters. A good ole Southern boy, McCormack grew up in the Georgian suburbs with his two younger brothers and an older sister. At a very young age, he spun tales the old fashioned way, lying to anyone and everyone he encountered. He claimed he was an orphan. He claimed to be a ...more
More about Devon McCormack...