Start by marking “Thirteen Hours” as Want to Read:
Thirteen Hours

Thirteen Hours

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,270 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Can you fall in love in 13 hours? It's her birthday but lonely workaholic Dana Watts is at the office late, drafting a proposal. The very last interruption she expects comes in the form of the most beautiful breasts she has ever seen. These belong to an incredibly hot woman, who is standing in front of her, stripping to music.
Published April 22nd 2008 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirteen Hours

And Playing the Role of Herself by K.E. LaneWaiting in the Wings by Melissa BraydenJericho by Ann McManHow Sweet It Is by Melissa BraydenThirteen Hours by Meghan O'Brien
Best F/F Romance Books
5th out of 654 books — 484 voters
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
47th out of 1,283 books — 1,556 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・
description

|3.6 stars|

“We need to set up a time to meet so I can return the money you paid me. Yeah, I’m sure. I don’t want to feel like I got paid for what I’m doing to Dana right now.”

It's her birthday and Dana Watts is writing a proposal late in her office. She's a workaholic but she also hides her true nature, even from herself. She doesn't count on one of her co-workers to hire a striper to give her a lap dance. The absolutely sexy Laurel strips to pay for her vet school and, after a awful attempt to
Kimberly
Dec 09, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Okay after reading some of the reviews I was hesitant to purchase the book. I am so glad that I did because the reviews were unfounded to me. Okay there is a lot of sex in this book so if that's a make or break for you don't read the book. I disagree with the reviewers who said there is no character development. I think O'Brien does a great job showing us who Laurel and Dana are. I think it's a really fast paced relationship, but that truly happens in the lesbian community. I think the sexual re ...more
Serena
May 04, 2014 Serena rated it really liked it
Do I need to say that this was a very hot!!! book? I think anyone who is familiar with Meghan O'Brien knows that her books are always sizzling hot. Meghan O'Brien knows how to write about sex. Yet despite the many sex scenes there was more than just sex. The characters were fun and the story was interesting. Since I normally only read lesbian romance, this is as steamy as it gets. On the book cover is says Erotic Romance, I think that sums it up, quite well. So if you're looking for something a ...more
Anne
Best PWP book I've ever read. Kudos to this author, for writing a story focused on two women having sex like normal people: in bed, in the tub, inside the elevator. I’m so tired of sugary courtships in my lesfic!

Don’t read Thirteen Hours if you are easily offended. You will find women exploring their fantasies, dirty talk, light BDSM and anal play, among other things. Apparently some readers were expecting cupcake recipes, but the blurb is very clear: this is an erotic story.

In other words…

Best
Anja
Apr 18, 2014 Anja rated it really liked it
I just finished the story, wow, definitely lots of sex (fullfilling all kind of fantasies). I really liked the story when they were stuck in the elevator. The after-elevator story has too much (kind of aggressive hot and steamy) sex and too little plot for me. I would have loved to hear more about their after-elevator life and how their relationship develops on a normal level. I still give it 4 stars, it was quite entertaining ;)
Krystalyn
May 14, 2012 Krystalyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbt
Turned out to be an erotica. I knew I should have paid more attention to the cover. There was no plot at all. The conflict was only found on the first few chapters, then everything turned out to be Happy ever after, with tons and tons of sex. Since I don't swing that way I didn't get most of it. (90% of it).

I started reading lesbian romance a few weeks ago due to the recomm. Of my best gay friend. She said Radclyffe was a good read. And it really was. The first series I've read(honor series) wa
Crys Harris
Nov 03, 2011 Crys Harris rated it really liked it
This was fun, light reading. It deserves 4 stars because it's about women! It doesn't suck! The women have dirty, unapologetic sex while not boring the reader to tear. Sure, the premise is such an overdone trope as to become a cliche. Sure the reactions of the characters seem out of all proportion at the beginning. But I actually liked Laurel's character and this was simply lesbian romantic erotica. It really succeeded in that category.

If you want meaningful character development, angst, etc., g
LVLMLeah
Actually, I give this book 3 and 1/2 stars. I thought Meghan O'Brien writes very well. And this book is very erotic, steamy with a deep love story. However, there's no real plot or complex characterizations and the sex seemed to go on and on and on.

My full review here:

lov2laf

This is straight up lesbian erotica in a full novel format so don't come to this book expecting a romance...at least not the kind that is typical of this genre. You won't find the leads taking the entire book to get together but they also don't do so on the first page, either.

There's a little set up, giving us several chapters of conversation between the characters before any physical connection comes into play but then the rest is sex with an overall ratio of sex to romance in the book
Diana Kirksey
Sep 09, 2011 Diana Kirksey rated it did not like it
After enjoying "Battle Scars" by Meghan O'Brien (albeit it was a bit slow) I thought I'd give this one a try even though the basis of it was questionable. Needless to say, it had barely any plot to it and was probably 75% smut. I couldn't even complete it, skimmed through and that was enough for me. Not recommended.
Erica
Oct 01, 2014 Erica rated it it was amazing
Such fun! SUCH FUUUUN!!
Justina
Oct 12, 2013 Justina rated it it was amazing
A possibly impertinent birthday gift turns into THE trip to wonderland and bountiful hot and sexy action, putting down a foundation with strength and versatility to spare. We all should be so fortuitous. This book was scintillating, sexually exhilarating, and I felt reborn believing that magic can take two strangers and weave such a perfect love story! Am I not surprised who the publisher is of this miraculous bit of wizardry? Thank you, Bold Strokes Books and Meghan O’Brien!

Dana Watts is workin
Alena
Aug 02, 2008 Alena rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, fiction
Now, isn't it funny how perception changes expectation?

Meghan O'Brien's latest novel is billed as an "erotic romance", which I didn't see until I opened the envelope it was shipped in. Within a millisecond, my expectations of plot went down to zero.

Imagine my surprise when there was one, and well-plotted characters to boot?!?

It's the story of two women, one a workaholic, one introduced as a stripper, who meet when the stripper is sent to the workaholic's workplace as a birthday present. They dis
Melissa
Jun 06, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, f-f
So this was the first lesbian romance book I'd ever read, not including the f/f fan fiction that I've devoured and I liked it. The story was good, I loved how they met and how Dana was reluctant to let Laurel in. The beginning of the book, when they were trapped in the elevator was the best because you got to see the walls around both girls fall rapidly.

The rest of the book was good, but it seemed to me to be little more than sex scene after sex scene! I loved the sex, don't get me wrong! It was
Ponycopter
Sep 01, 2013 Ponycopter rated it liked it
TL;DR: If witnessing vivid sex between agents rather than characters is enough for you, Thirteen Hours definitely fits the bill.

I tore through this in two sittings and it really was an engaging read. But Thirteen Hours would have surely benefited from a more pronounced story and characters, if only as a means to an end. The author chose to make everything apart from the main characters - events, places as well as people - all but irrelevant. That's fine, but when employing this kind of magnifyin
Kathryn
Mar 04, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
Picked up this title during a rebate sale at ARe. I found the premise intriguing, and wondered how the author could set an entire novel in an elevator. Turns out, the thirteen hours as noted in the title comprises the first half of the book, whereas the second half loses much of the tension and conflict between the two heroines and instead ramps up the sex.

If you want a high-charged erotic story, you'll find the goods here, and while I found the story written well, I thought it slightly off bala
Kat Davis
Dec 11, 2015 Kat Davis rated it liked it
There is no denying this is a bit of naughty erotic fluff. I have a broad reading range, but I was reading with an editor's eye (at least that is my excuse). A PWP story that should not be held too high on the ladder of literary expectation, it is, however, one of the better attempts I have read over the years. Considering the author was only 20 when the book was written, it is well orchestrated (or edited). There were surprisingly less word choice cliches than I was expecting for this type of b ...more
Ameliah Faith
Jul 21, 2015 Ameliah Faith rated it it was amazing
DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE A HEART CONDITION

This is the third book I've read by Meghan O'Brien. Each one of them so different from the others. However, Ms O'Brien has a knack for erotica and she sure isn't shy in showing it off!! Goodness this was a scorcher. I finished it about 24 hours ago and am still blushing, burning and wanting.

This book is about a stuffy work-a-holic and a stripper-gram she recieves for her birthday. Dana isnt sure if she should be turned on by the perfect body in front of
Joanne
May 06, 2014 Joanne rated it really liked it
Two words. Holy Smokes.

I did not realized that this novel was going to turn out the way it turned out. I was just expecting hilarious PG13/NC17 scenes between the two main characters with an 'okay'-ish plotline.

Boy was I wrong. My first hint should've been the obvious protruding BEHIND on the cover. The second obvious hint is that one of the characters is a stripper. Trust me, I didn't mind that this novel went from NC17 to X-rated (multiple times). This was the first novel I read from this aut
Paula Urdaneta
No pude terminarlo... a la mitad me vi atrapada en una novela rosa y cursi. No lo odie, pero no hubo ningun giro de la trama que me hiciera querer seguir leyendo.

Por otra parte debo acotar que los personajes y su relación estaban bien desarollados siendo bastantes creíbles.
Amanda
Aug 16, 2015 Amanda rated it did not like it
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
In got about 3/4 the way through the book before I gave up. I can only remember five books I didn't complete. Sad that this was added to that list. It just wasn't for me. I didn't connect with the main characters, the plot was weak... I found myself skipping several pages of the book to get past the sex scenes. I'm not against sex scenes but you can really have too much of a good thing in a book.
Jae Jae
Aug 18, 2011 Jae Jae rated it liked it
I like most of what Meghan O’Brien has written, and this story isn’t badly written either. But it’s different from her other stories. It starts with a clever first sentence and an interesting first meeting, and it has some great dialogue, but the rest was too much sex and too little plot for me. If you are in the mood for hot love scenes, I recommend it, otherwise, read “Battle Scars.”
ybnrmalatall
Jul 30, 2014 ybnrmalatall rated it it was ok
It was alright and while it had its moments AND I liked the characters in the story, it wasn't my cup of tea.

I gave it 2 because the characters were likable but the pacing was annoying at times and was based around sex, which isn't the worst thing ever- it just never sits well with me since I am a hardcore romance junkie :P
Tina
Jul 09, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy lesbian erotica
Thirteen Hours was an interesting read, slightly dragged out near the end but worth it in the end.

Understandably it was an erotica book but for some reason I continued to read on. It wasn't just sex- though there was a LOT of sex. There was the connection between the characters that kept me reading on. Of course the sex was amazing, Meghan does a wonderful job of describing the scenes. The skeptic in me keeps wondering how much the characters can handle but the other side of me says keep going.
Sajiko
Jan 03, 2015 Sajiko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that started out 5 stars.. I love how the two characters were complete opposites and deal with the tension and attraction growing between them. Considering the pace of the first few chapters I loved how the author really blurred the lines between love and hate..

however
(view spoiler)
Megan
Jun 22, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
This was quite a fun read – fast paced, funny and more than a little steamy. I read the book in about four hours and I must admit that by the end, I was sort of glossing over the sex, but I couldn’t put it down until the last page was turned. With a novel that starts with an uptight IT project manager and a stripper getting stuck in an elevator for thirteen hours ... you have to expect a bit of sex. O’Brien managed to keep the characters talking for the first third of the book, but once the clot ...more
Sprinkles
If a friend asked me for a well-written, purely erotic lesbian romance, I'd go into my gay bag of tricks and reveal this pretty little tale. The premise is what sexy dreams are made of. A sexually-repressed lesbian stuck in an elevator with the hottest company. Their truth-or-dare sessions fulfilled all my wishes.

My heart goes for Laurel. She's attractive beyond the obviously sensual reasons. She deserved all the love possible.

My heart even fluttered at the end. Erotica done properly.
Carmelina
Dec 30, 2015 Carmelina rated it liked it
I don't know what I was expecting when I started this book, but it surprised me. I really enjoyed the dialogues between the main characters, the way they talked about their lives with one another was rather nice. And then there was a lot of smut. A lot. Not that I mind. I also really liked Dana's and Laurel's relationship. My favorite, though, was Laurel's cat, Isis.
Linh Nguyen
Jul 30, 2015 Linh Nguyen rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, romance, dnf
Wow, I have never read any erotica that is so...advanced in sex. While I prefer gentle love making, I guess it would not hurt to be a little kinky once in a while. Right?
As enlightening as it seems, this is not my kind of book; I decided to stop half way through. But who knows perhaps some other day I may be tempted to try it again.
Cece Marie
May 08, 2014 Cece Marie rated it liked it
This book is good, for erotica. It's a lot of sex and not much plot. Granted the sex scenes are great, but it really isn't too much of a romance novel.
The book is well written, as is everything I've read by O'Brien. If you want a steamy mostly erotica novel with some sweet moments in between I recommend this.
  • Conquest
  • Trauma Alert (First Responders, #1)
  • Blood Hunt (Midnight Hunters #2)
  • Stranded
  • Lethal Affairs (Elite Operatives, #1)
  • Too Close to Touch
  • Substitute for Love
  • None So Blind
  • Without Warning (Shaken, #1)
  • Hunter's Way (Hunter, #1)
  • Tropical Storm (Dar and Kerry, #1)
  • Come and Get Me
  • Wasted Heart
Born in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, Meghan O’Brien relocated to Northern California in 2005. As a transplant, she enjoys the moderate weather and gorgeous scenery of the Bay Area. Meghan lives with her wife, their son, three cats, three dogs, two snakes and several tarantulas. Yes, it can be just as chaotic as it sounds.

Meghan’s day job is as a software developer, but her real passion is writin
More about Meghan O'Brien...