Thirteen Hours

Thirteen Hours

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  779 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Can you fall in love in thirteen hours?

It's her birthday but lonely workaholic Dana Watts is at the office late, drafting a proposal. The very last interruption she expects comes in the form of the most beautiful breasts she has ever seen. These belong to an incredibly hot woman, who is standing in front of her, stripping to music.

Laurel Stanley performs strip-o-grams to...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by Bold Strokes Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirteen Hours

And Playing the Role of Herself by K.E. LaneJericho by Ann McManWaiting in the Wings by Melissa BraydenThirteen Hours by Meghan O'BrienAmbereye by Gill McKnight
Best F/F Romance Books
4th out of 359 books — 205 voters
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
52nd out of 947 books — 1,109 voters

More lists with this book...

Serena
Do I need to say that this was a very hot!!! book? I think anyone who is familiar with Meghan O'Brien knows that her books are always sizzling hot. Meghan O'Brien knows how to write about sex. Yet despite the many sex scenes there was more than just sex. The characters were fun and the story was interesting. Since I normally only read lesbian romance, this is as steamy as it gets. On the book cover is says Erotic Romance, I think that sums it up, quite well. So if you're looking for something a...more
Anja
I just finished the story, wow, definitely lots of sex (fullfilling all kind of fantasies). I really liked the story when they were stuck in the elevator. The after-elevator story has too much (kind of aggressive hot and steamy) sex and too little plot for me. I would have loved to hear more about their after-elevator life and how their relationship develops on a normal level. I still give it 4 stars, it was quite entertaining ;)
Kimberly
Okay after reading some of the reviews I was hesitant to purchase the book. I am so glad that I did because the reviews were unfounded to me. Okay there is a lot of sex in this book so if that's a make or break for you don't read the book. I disagree with the reviewers who said there is no character development. I think O'Brien does a great job showing us who Laurel and Dana are. I think it's a really fast paced relationship, but that truly happens in the lesbian community. I think the sexual re...more
Crys Harris
This was fun, light reading. It deserves 4 stars because it's about women! It doesn't suck! The women have dirty, unapologetic sex while not boring the reader to tear. Sure, the premise is such an overdone trope as to become a cliche. Sure the reactions of the characters seem out of all proportion at the beginning. But I actually liked Laurel's character and this was simply lesbian romantic erotica. It really succeeded in that category.

If you want meaningful character development, angst, etc., g...more
LVLMLeah
Actually, I give this book 3 and 1/2 stars. I thought Meghan O'Brien writes very well. And this book is very erotic, steamy with a deep love story. However, there's no real plot or complex characterizations and the sex seemed to go on and on and on.

My full review here:

Anne
Best PWP book I've ever read. Kudos to this author, for writing a story focused on two women having sex like normal people: in bed, in the tub, inside the elevator. I’m so tired of sugary courtships in my lesfic!

Don’t read Thirteen Hours if you are easily offended. You will find women exploring their fantasies, dirty talk, light BDSM and anal play, among other things. Apparently some readers were expecting cupcake recipes, but the blurb is very clear: this is an erotic story.

In other words…

Best...more
Krystalyn
Turned out to be an erotica. I knew I should have paid more attention to the cover. There was no plot at all. The conflict was only found on the first few chapters, then everything turned out to be Happy ever after, with tons and tons of sex. Since I don't swing that way I didn't get most of it. (90% of it).

I started reading lesbian romance a few weeks ago due to the recomm. Of my best gay friend. She said Radclyffe was a good read. And it really was. The first series I've read(honor series) wa...more
Justina
A possibly impertinent birthday gift turns into THE trip to wonderland and bountiful hot and sexy action, putting down a foundation with strength and versatility to spare. We all should be so fortuitous. This book was scintillating, sexually exhilarating, and I felt reborn believing that magic can take two strangers and weave such a perfect love story! Am I not surprised who the publisher is of this miraculous bit of wizardry? Thank you, Bold Strokes Books and Meghan O’Brien!

Dana Watts is workin...more
Alena
Now, isn't it funny how perception changes expectation?

Meghan O'Brien's latest novel is billed as an "erotic romance", which I didn't see until I opened the envelope it was shipped in. Within a millisecond, my expectations of plot went down to zero.

Imagine my surprise when there was one, and well-plotted characters to boot?!?

It's the story of two women, one a workaholic, one introduced as a stripper, who meet when the stripper is sent to the workaholic's workplace as a birthday present. They dis...more
Melissa
So this was the first lesbian romance book I'd ever read, not including the f/f fan fiction that I've devoured and I liked it. The story was good, I loved how they met and how Dana was reluctant to let Laurel in. The beginning of the book, when they were trapped in the elevator was the best because you got to see the walls around both girls fall rapidly.

The rest of the book was good, but it seemed to me to be little more than sex scene after sex scene! I loved the sex, don't get me wrong! It was...more
Ponycopter
TL;DR: If witnessing vivid sex between agents rather than characters is enough for you, Thirteen Hours definitely fits the bill.

I tore through this in two sittings and it really was an engaging read. But Thirteen Hours would have surely benefited from a more pronounced story and characters, if only as a means to an end. The author chose to make everything apart from the main characters - events, places as well as people - all but irrelevant. That's fine, but when employing this kind of magnifyin...more
Kathryn
Picked up this title during a rebate sale at ARe. I found the premise intriguing, and wondered how the author could set an entire novel in an elevator. Turns out, the thirteen hours as noted in the title comprises the first half of the book, whereas the second half loses much of the tension and conflict between the two heroines and instead ramps up the sex.

If you want a high-charged erotic story, you'll find the goods here, and while I found the story written well, I thought it slightly off bala...more
Joanne
Two words. Holy Smokes.

I did not realized that this novel was going to turn out the way it turned out. I was just expecting hilarious PG13/NC17 scenes between the two main characters with an 'okay'-ish plotline.

Boy was I wrong. My first hint should've been the obvious protruding BEHIND on the cover. The second obvious hint is that one of the characters is a stripper. Trust me, I didn't mind that this novel went from NC17 to X-rated (multiple times). This was the first novel I read from this aut...more
Diana Kirksey
After enjoying "Battle Scars" by Meghan O'Brien (albeit it was a bit slow) I thought I'd give this one a try even though the basis of it was questionable. Needless to say, it had barely any plot to it and was probably 75% smut. I couldn't even complete it, skimmed through and that was enough for me. Not recommended.
Tess Martinez
I feel so torn about this book; the first half, I was ready to give this writer, this story a 5. I read 20% of the book as a free sample, and I bit, hard and went to Amazon and purchased the Kindle version and finished the book a few hours later. The second half of the book felt so anticlimactic, like someone different wrote it without giving the first half of the story a good read first. I'm having a hard time putting a finger on exactly why this book fell apart for me, but it did, fairly rapid...more
Megan
This was quite a fun read – fast paced, funny and more than a little steamy. I read the book in about four hours and I must admit that by the end, I was sort of glossing over the sex, but I couldn’t put it down until the last page was turned. With a novel that starts with an uptight IT project manager and a stripper getting stuck in an elevator for thirteen hours ... you have to expect a bit of sex. O’Brien managed to keep the characters talking for the first third of the book, but once the clot...more
ybnrmalatall
It was alright and while it had its moments AND I liked the characters in the story, it wasn't my cup of tea.

I gave it 2 because the characters were likable but the pacing was annoying at times and was based around sex, which isn't the worst thing ever- it just never sits well with me since I am a hardcore romance junkie :P
Cece Marie
This book is good, for erotica. It's a lot of sex and not much plot. Granted the sex scenes are great, but it really isn't too much of a romance novel.
The book is well written, as is everything I've read by O'Brien. If you want a steamy mostly erotica novel with some sweet moments in between I recommend this.
Becky
I have mixed feelings about this one. I liked Laurel and Dana. I liked the premise. But the balance felt off. About half the book covers the first 13 hours of their relationship, while they're trapped in the elevator. The rest of the book hopscotches through the next year. It felt like it should have either ended soon after they left the elevator, or the elevator should have taken up far less space in the book. As it was, it felt a bit like two different books mashed together. The second half wa...more
Betty
I hate to say this, but I became bored with these two ladies who became stuck in an elevator - an uptight executive-type and an exotic dancer someone hired for her birthday. I stayed with it as long as I could, but I didn't get halfway through it. It wasn't badly written. It just wasn't for me.
Poison
Another winner from Meghan O'Brien!

We have Dana Watts, an overachiever business adminstrator/middle manager at a software firm, and Laurel Stanley a student who pays her bills as a stripper. They meet when Laurel is paid to do a private lapdance for Dana in her office. It does not go well.

They get trapped in an elevator for 13 hours, alone, and the fun begins.

I liked both Laurel and Dana. I really dislike our cultural stereotypes that strippers and prostitutes are bad people, too, and was very h...more
Clara
Meghan O'Brien wrote several books but I think this is my favorite. Its fun, erotic well written realistic plot that suddenly seems to turn just when you think the story will conclude. Very well developed characters. The cover says a lot!
Estelle
I picked up this book not fully knowing the genre, thought was just a f/f romance. The elevator part was written in a right pace, at least the characters were getting to know each other, not like the typical storylines where they just pounced at each other and start having sex.

Meghan O'Brien sure have a way of writing those steamier scenes. I have to admit its a little more than i can take. hahaha

Dana and Laurel are very likeable and adorable. And seriously, Dana is just tooooo perfect as a lov...more
Milkiways
Honestly I didn't finish this book because when I started I didn't realize its erotica, I read till little after their first date and stopped. Till that point the love scenes are great but I liked the plot so much I was looking for the story to continue but there was one after the other love scenes keep coming up. If you like erotica I think this is the best, the characters are very sweet too!
Maria
There's been some talk over whether this is erotic romance or romantic erotica. I think it's more romantic erotica. There are some relationship building/bonding scenes in here but its mostly sex scenes. The scenes are sweet and endearing and light. I wish I could have gotten to know more about the characters, their background and their world. It's not a deep read, but it is an enjoyable one.
Jae Jae
I like most of what Meghan O’Brien has written, and this story isn’t badly written either. But it’s different from her other stories. It starts with a clever first sentence and an interesting first meeting, and it has some great dialogue, but the rest was too much sex and too little plot for me. If you are in the mood for hot love scenes, I recommend it, otherwise, read “Battle Scars.”
M
Jun 25, 2012 M rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: l-books
Enjoyed this book at a piece of erotica - the initial plotting was intriguing, but when the sex took over, the story became a vehicle for the incredibly hot scenes that followed. I'm not complaining ( hence the high rating) I have subsequently read others of her books that have more successfully combined the elements.
Annadicleva
I have had trouble finding f/f romances that combine genuine affection and believable love between partners with the kind of scorching heat that is enjoyable in the erotic romance genre - this delivers all that and then some in a simple but pleasing story of hostility turning rapidly to heat.
Nikko

Such a sweet, erotic, romantic story!! It has been such a long time since i read an FF romance and now i know i avoid it coz it reminds me of me and my ex in happier times. I totally loved this one. Will definitely read more from this author...
Bri

It was nice to have lesbians as characters bit way more sex than required. Why can't a story have lesbians that are not always having sex? Least it helped me with one more book towards goal.
  • Passion's Bright Fury
  • Substitute for Love
  • Too Close to Touch
  • Without Warning (Shaken, #1)
  • Pitifully Ugly
  • Hunter's Way (Hunter, #1)
  • Lethal Affairs (Elite Operatives, #1)
  • Wasted Heart
Born in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, Meghan O’Brien relocated to Northern California in 2005. As a transplant, she enjoys the moderate weather and gorgeous scenery of the Bay Area. Meghan lives with her partner Angie, their young son, three cats, three dogs, two snakes and several tarantulas. Yes, it can be just as chaotic as it sounds.

Meghan’s day job is as a software developer, but her real pa...more
More about Meghan O'Brien...
Battle Scars Wild Infinite Loop The Night Off The Three