Half Of Paradise

Half Of Paradise

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A mesmerising novel set in the Louisiana heartland from award-winning author James Lee Burke.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1999 by Orion Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Half Of Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half Of Paradise

Jim
Jan 16, 2012 Jim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
It is quite interesting to read the first book by an author you enjoy, to see how their writing has developed and progressed, especially if they have acquired a following, such as Burke definitely has. The story itself is less than satisfying, but interesting enough (though I much prefer Pierce's Cool Hand Luke), and goes along fairly quickly. I found it amusing when I came across turns of phrase that I know he has used in later books, such as his description of nutria as they make their "scream...more
Chris Jensen
A very predictable and tiresome read. At times, the prose was excellent, particualary the descriptions of the nuances of Louisiana culture. But there little to look forward in reading about three two-time losers systematically destroying their lives through their own poor decisions. The only saving grace is that Burke does not swaddle these losers with victimhood.
Frank Roberts
This is James Lee Burke's first novel. Great characters, strong description, and mostly interesting situations. BUT. . . it is one of the most depressing books I ever read (just finished it), and some of the dialog and situations go nowhere for pages and pages - just lots of back and forth between desperate little people with nothing to say about life sometimes. I really like his later mysteries, but this was not my cup of tea (I did finish it, hoping to find something redeeming in it. Sigh!)
Emily

Perhaps, had I read this in 1965 when it was written, I would have found it more interesting. As it was, I found myself getting confused with the characters (and there are only three main ones and they are pretty different), and not really caring what happened to them. Some of the dialogue, and the prose, is awful and painful to trudge through. Had I read this first, I likely would not have explored other novels by Burke. And that would have been the biggest tragedy of this book by far.
Carol
Definitely not a feel-good book. Well-written, predictable, and disturbing. Interesting, but odd. It was one of those books that if the library loan would have run out before I finished the book, I would have been fine with that. Hmmm....
Roger Wood
I've recently become addicted to the non-Robicheaux novels of James Lee Burke. This is the least interesting but that's forgivable, given it's the first. The three storylines don't work as well as they might because they're not interlinked, not even thematically, except that we're talking about three losers who continue losing. That said, the quality of the writing is amazing for a first novel. The dialogue rings true and some of the descriptive passages are really jaw-droppingly fine. I'm glad...more
J.R.
Just completed a re-read of James Lee Burke’s first published novel, Half of Paradise. Though he was only in his twenties when it came out in 1965, the signs of his genius were already apparent.

It’s a tale of three men whose actions and circumstances and the nature of the U.S. criminal justice system doom them to a certain fate. Avery Broussard, the last of a prominent family, is an alcoholic whose bad judgment leads him to prison. Toussaint
Boudreaux, an African American, is a longshoreman and...more
Donna
James Lee Burke has been writing for roughly fifty years now, and this was an early effort, published in 1965; I think it was his first, in fact. It starts out appearing to be short stories, but the narratives involving three individuals eventually make one crushing point about the dismal, cynical failure of the US criminal justice system, which rains down its uneven blows hardest upon the poorest sectors of the population. He never actually says it. He goes one better, by demonstrating it throu...more
James Sorensen
This is Burke's first novel. A tale of three men from Louisiana and how each is able to face his demons. Not the most upbeat story but we get a first taste of the poetry that is Burke's writing. Burke is one of the best writers out there right now. His words flow over the page as his descriptive writing paints a vivid picture of the stories he tells. Avery Broussard, a one time land owner, is arrested when caught running moonshine, J.P. Winfield is a musician that makes the big time and then spi...more
Dalton Larson
Rambled on and on to a poor conclusion

kept waiting for the story to come together and it never did. first book by this author. I may not try another.
Torimac
I wish I could remember who suggested I read this author. After seeing the other reviews here (thank you good reads and goodreaders) i will probably try another one of his books. But this thing I could hardly stand to read. In fact, after the first section "book one" i just started flipping thru and reading random parts... and found the writing rather uninspired and flat, and the character development dull and predictable. Maybe he was one of the first to observe and describe these sorts of char...more
Pat
This was James Lee Burke's first book, and it was grim and badly written, so when the guy who gave me this handed me IN THE ELECTRIC MIST WITH CONFEDERATE DEAD, also by Burke, and told me I'd like it I was skeptical. But I really did enjoy it! JLB has improved considerably.In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead
Joan
I bought this book on the strength of the author's name. The back-cover blurb explained that this was Burke's first published work, written when he was in his twenties. It was obvious in this novel that he had potential as an author; he was good at developing dimensional characters and had a smooth and literate writing style. I am glad he continued to write because he produced some good work later in his career.
Eli
A sort of prison-within-prison story, the outer prison being the whole country, as three guys-- a privileged wastrel, a black boxer/patsy, and a Depression-era Elvis prototype-- get ground up in the economy in various ways. Their fates may be overdetermined, but the time and place are vivid. The invisible fourth character is money, and he's pretty scary.
Mikel
I give most James Lee Burke books 4 or 5 stars, but this is one of the few that doesn't quite rate it. Still a great book, but I didn't find the world of Toussaint Boudreaux as authentic or palpable as the series' set in Louisianna, Texas or Montana. I get the impression that this is a world not quite as native to JLB as those in other series'.
Becca
"At first, I found the stories marginally interesting, but when these three disparate tales--each about a Louisianna man down on his luck intertwined in the way they are each chained by prison, addiction, poverty--got even more depressing, and failed to connect much with each other, and felt doomed from the start, I am now sorry I read it!"
Katie Black
I read this after reading other Burke's books. It was interesting to see how he has developed over time. I am spending the summer re-reading o
All of his books in order. I look forward to seeing the development of a writer that I love.
Jeff Dickison
James Lee Burke's first book is well written with the exception that the characters are not very likable. They get themselves into trouble because of poor decision making and seem powerless to change. You can look back at this and see that he would become a major novelist, but he just wasn't quite there yet.
Stacy Bearse
A great author's first novel. Burke traces the lives of three flawed men who, thanks to fate or free will, stumble through tough lives. Forget about the plot. Read this for the incredible prose, the poetic word smithing, and crisp characterization. Burke remains my favorite novelist. He's in a class by himself.
Gill
I'm a confirmed JLB fan but I'm really glad this wasn't the first of his books I read or it would definitely have been the last. I've decided not to bother finishing it as I have some much more interesting books to read.
I have just persuaded my Book Group to read his work so I'm glad I didn't include this one!
Lorin Lee Cary
The first novel by Burke (back in 1965) is powerful. Louisiana work camps, country music and politics, addiction and racism---all emerge in the stories of three hard-luck characters who are defined in alternating chapters. Success is on the cusp, and then . . .
Debra
James Lee Burke's first novel. Living proof that authors can improve. Flashes of his later stylish writing show, as well as his willingness to explore the meaner side of life. Still, the pacing and tension are missing. Glad that I found this one on Overdrive.
Joe
Dec 04, 2008 Joe rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: jlb
Not a bad read, interesting tale of three different mens lives in 1950's Louisiana. Not a Crime or Thriller novel that fans of JLB would be now accustomed to - 1st book ever published by JLB I believe.
Darlene
This book has several characters who were interesting but they all came to a tragic end. I am used to this author writing detective novels so this was somewhat surprising to read this book.
P.e.
This was his first book and it was ok, not as good as other books but still agood read. Glad I had read his other books first because you could take his story telling the wrong way.
Cammie
James Lee Burke is one of best writers of our times. He is one of the few writers whose books I will purchase in hard cover because I can't wait for the paperback version to come out.
Katie Hilton
James Lee Burke provides lots of lovely background and several believable portraits, but this isn't a murder mystery, though some of it is set in Dave Robicheaux country.
Dennis Willingham
Kind of a pre-quil for some of his current characters. Not really a unified story, more like a collections of character sketches, some interesting, some a bit trite.
Thomas Roth
Strange reliving the times and events of a lost era. An enjoyable way for a story to be written even though most of the characters had miserable lives.
Patti
I am an avid fan of Jsmes Lee Burke's writing but was sorely disappointed in this novel. I kept waitmg for it to "come together" but it never did.
  • Bordersnakes
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2 - Hard Case Crime, #36)
  • The Long-Legged Fly (Lew Griffin, #1)
  • The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30)
  • Nothing More Than Murder (Crime Masterworks)
  • Blood on the Moon (Lloyd Hopkins, #1)
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog
  • Ladies' Man
  • Deadfolk
  • The Dead Man's Brother (Hard Case Crime #52)
  • The Handle (Parker, #8)
  • Deadline
  • Chasing the Devil's Tail (Storyville, #1)
  • The Cold Spot
  • A Diet of Treacle (Hard Case Crime #39)
  • The Natural: The Misunderstood Presidency of Bill Clinton
James Lee Burke is an American author best known for his mysteries, particularly the Dave Robicheaux series. He has twice received the Edgar Award for Best Novel, for Black Cherry Blues in 1990 and Cimarron Rose in 1998.

Burke was born in Houston, Texas, but grew up on the Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast. He attended the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and the University of Missouri, receiving a...more
More about James Lee Burke...
The Neon Rain (Dave Robicheaux, #1) The Tin Roof Blowdown (Dave Robicheaux, #16) Black Cherry Blues (Dave Robicheaux, #3) The Glass Rainbow (Dave Robicheaux, #18) In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead (Dave Robicheaux, #6)