The Lost Get-Back Boogie

The Lost Get-Back Boogie

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,362 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Iry Paret's done his time -- two years for manslaughter in Louisiana's Angola State Penitentiary. Now the war vet and blues singer is headed to Montana, where he hopes to live clean working on a ranch owned by the father of his prison pal, Buddy Riordan. In prison, Iry tinkered with a song -- "The Lost Get-Back Boogie" -- that never came out quite right. Now, the Riordan f...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Pocket Star (first published 1986)

WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For by Brooklyn HudsonThe Ring of Lost Souls by Rachel TsoumbakosJamaica Inn by Daphne du MaurierRebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Haunting books for a stormy night
130th out of 142 books — 30 voters
Heavy Duty People by Iain ParkeEveryone Burns by John DolanHeavy Duty Attitude by Iain ParkeHeavy Duty Trouble by Iain ParkeThe Liquidator by Iain Parke
Favourite Crime & Thrillers
285th out of 343 books — 365 voters

More lists with this book...

Cathy DuPont
I'm just amazed at the ability of James Lee Burke to create characters who have such depth as Ivy Paret the ex-con who served his time in Angola (Louisiana) and is trying to begin a new life far away from his home town.

All of Burke's guys, his characters, think about right and wrong; about trying to find their way in a complicated world and how to make the best of everything they're dealt. Sometimes bad luck just happens, life happens and rising above it all takes perseverance, sometimes more t...more
Blair
Just a dynamo of a book. The reader can get utterly lost in the descriptive passages about the landscapes. The author's love for his characters and scenery is immense and heartfelt. The prose flows like Southern Comfort into a chilled glass with ice. The story revolves around a man named Iry, an ex-con trying to restart his live in Montana upon his release from prison. He gets a helping-hand from a friend he made in prison that gets him work on his fathers farm.

The father is currently not a popu

skein
4.9999 stars. Read this one summer while housesitting - I would never have picked it up otherwise - and Burke surprised the hell out of me. I thought it would be a light, easy read. Nope.
The sensation of reading it stays with me - like my first time reading James Joyce or Vladimir Nabokov - Burke's style is so distinctive, without in the least bit altering from 'normal'.
And he is affecting. I haven't yet read his other works because it took such an emotional toll on me. That's all I can rememb...more
Donna
Whoa. Okay. I can't BELIEVE what it says in the preface, that this novel was REJECTED 111 times...and then nominated for the Pulitzer. It's raw, it's vivid, and in places so painful that I had to read it in small jags at a time to break it up. That's okay; it made this excellent novel last longer.

Here it is clear that the protagonist (and likely the writer) has ABSOLUTELY NO use for the American prison system or cops in general, though he is careful to avoid stereotyping his characters, and even...more
P.J. Coldren
Iry Paret has done his time in Angola, which is no country club prison, then or now. He's gone home, but there's nothing there for him any more. His family would just as soon he leave, and he does. He heads for Montana, because his prison pal Buddy Riordan has promised him a job and a place to live. Buddy is a musician, like Iry, and they both have a predilection for the bottle, although Buddy likes his dope, too. Iry is on parole, which means he has to behave in Montana or he can be yanked back...more
J.R.
James Lee Burke is one of those rare writers who can describe a character or place so well you almost expect to bump into them or see the scenery out your window.

This novel was his introduction (or reintroduction in some cases) to a reading public after his earlier work had been out of print for 13 years. The fact that it was published in 1986 by a university press (LSU) after being rejected 111 times by commercial presses over a nine year period says something not very flattering about the tast...more
Kay
Nov 18, 2011 Kay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: re-read
So far I love this even more than the Dave Robicheaux books. The descriptions, which I often skip in a book, get re-read; the characters are engaging and I care about them; the story is in the fine American realist groove, painful but shown with deep understanding and no excuses. The writing is superb, not a wasted word and the words used are the pick of the litter. I was not expecting to be able to get into this book; now I cannot put it down.
Every time I rest the book for a moment I feel Emil...more
Marvin
The Lost Get Back Boogie is a slap of cold water in the face. Burke writes with the cultural empathy of Tony Hillerman, the passion for nature and the environment of a Edward Abby, and the socio-psychological suspense of a James Lehane. This is literary suspense at its finest. While Burke is often called a mystery writer, there is no mystery in this novel. We follow the main character as he is released from a Louisiana prison of which he was sentenced for making a bad choice and watch him helple...more
Eric_W
This book did not get particularly good reviews when it was first published (it's pre-Robichaeux and this edition is a reprint), but I liked it very much.

As the book opens, Iry Paret has just been paroled from prison, having been convicted of manslaughter. Because the man was trying to cut him open with a broken bottle, Paret was sentenced to only five to fifteen years. Iry is an outstanding guitar player of jazz and country-western music, and the crime happened in one of those seedy redneck ba...more
Jerry
Burke's drama better than mystery, but plot still weak...

This book reminds us of what in music is called a "tone poem". The melodies and harmonies swirl in an entertaining, sometimes captivating, pattern; but when it's all over, it doesn't amount to much that's memorable. We wanted to read this novel to possibly cure ourselves of our disappointment with one of Burke's Dave Robicheaux mysteries. Our findings of that one ("Cadillac Jukebox") was that his imagery surely is vivid, but his skills in...more
Kathleen Hagen
The Lost Get-Back Boogie, by James Lee Burke, B. Narrated by Will Patton, Produced by Recorded Books, Downloaded from Audible.com.

This is not a Dave Robicheau book. I’m not sure if it’s a stand-alone or not. Iry Paret has just come out of Angola Prison in Louisiana where he spent two years for killing someone. He has little connection to his family and decides to go to Montana to pass his probation on the ranch of a friend and the friend’s father. At first things seem wonderful. He stays under t...more
Johnathan
Most of the Burke I've read is from the 90's and 00's, and in those books his main characters are more or less clean with dark pasts. Robicheaux is a recovered alchoholic, while Billy Bob Holland has violent tendencies and a darkly violent past.

In this book, the characters are in the midst of their darkness, some trying to break free, others determine to go deeper. The characters booze heavily from the perspective of a modern person. Part of that is that the book was written in the 70s, when bo...more
Martin
I like James Lee Burke. Partly this is because i have fond memories of Montana, and because the delta inhabits my dreams. And i like the Dave Robicheaux mysteries. They're not "mysteries" in the typical sense - they tend to be novels in which a murder occurs - and i like the way he works his way through them. So that's background.

This is not a Dave Robicheaux mystery. In fact, as the introduction explains, this is the book that finally "broke" Burke to the public. And you know what it is? Basica...more
Mike
Released on parole from Angola penitentiary, a Louisiana Korean War veteran migrates to Montana in the sixties. He is a talented musician with guitar and dobro and takes up residence on a ranch owned by the father of an ex-convict friend. Everyone drinks and smokes too much. Environmental and job issues result in violence and beatings. In general this is the story of a man who is screwed up and trying to find his way home. He does make progress, but in the end the reader does not know whether he...more
Betty
As someone who lived in Missoula,Mt for over 30 years, it is fun to read a book that is easy to imagine the scenery and the places they go. This definitely made it interesting for me, but the characters were not people that I would hang with nor would I go to the places they go. Two are ex cons who drink and booze all day and night and for most of the book they are either in a bar or diving up and down the highway south of Missoula drunk. There is a good story line, but it frequently gets lost i...more
Megan Huff
I absolutely loved this book.

Burke is an excellent author. The characters are realistic, and even if you cannot relate to their exact experiences you can definately see where they are coming from and even find similar situations in your own life.

I read this book in two days. If I did not have school I would I have finished it in one. I had to force myself to do other things, including eating dinner! I settled on reading while I ate.

Everybody should read it. Now.
Lynne Handy
Great story with lots of nuances. James Lee Burke is a master.
Stacy Bearse
This ranks as one of the best novels I recall reading. The plot is rich. The characters complex. The locations vivid and colorful. And the writing ... simply superb. The gritty action is credible, and a reminder of reality for those of us who have lived comfortable lives, largely sheltered from the underbelly of America. "Get-Back Boogie," written in 1978 has aged well. It remains a terse, powerful tour-de-force.
Glen
A very macho book that starts in the bayou and ends in the Bitteroots. I found the character of Frank Riordan a little too derivative, too reminiscent of Ken Kesey's Henry Stamper, but Iry Paret and Buddy Riordan were interesting characters, and some of the dialogue was extremely well done. All in all a very enjoyable and fast read. This is the first of his novels I've read, and this was, I believe, his first.
Lori
I really like James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series, but I found myself getting impatient with the characters in this novel and their repeatedly bad judgement. I started to feel that if they couldn't learn to stay a little sober or maybe even stay out of redneck bars, perhaps they deserved to go back to Angola. I finished the book, but would not hold it up as an example of why I love to read Burke.
Cindy
If you like reading about alcoholics, or if you like reading about the drug addicted, or if you like reading about living conditions in prison, or if you like seemingly never ending personal dramas then this is the book for you. The story line and the characters wore me out! At half way through the book I realized it wouldn't get any better and I sped read to the end.
Kim Guzzo
Good Book. James lee Burke always fills his novels with such details in his scenery and background it makes you want to go see. The charachters are filled out nicely and always have some sort of damage (as do we all)yet they manage to get thru life. The friendships are different yet loyal and take some time to understand. A fast paced read.
Joe
Interesting stand alone novel set in 60's Montana, wrote prior to authors Dave Robiceaux series. Decent storyline with some nice thought provoking passages along with standard excellent description of Montana countryside, not as good as good as authors other 'non series' work. But still am interesting and nice read.
Ratforce
Nov 19, 2012 Ratforce added it
Shelves: western
Another contemporary western story by a writer who is actually well-known for his mystery series is The Lost Get-Back Boogie by James Lee Burke. If you enjoy his writing style, check out his Dave Robicheaux mystery series (beginning with The Neon Rain) featuring a hardboiled New Orleans detective.
Edwin
James Lee Burke at his usual colorful and descriptive best. Although violent and dark, as are most of Burke's novels, his writing makes you want to jump into the scenery and witness for yourself the beauty of the Bitteroot Mountains and the sounds of the river as it swells with the snow melt.
Jim
Apr 13, 2010 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
One of Burke's early novels, that preceded his Robicheaux series. You can see some of the early development of that character in Paret. I also see where Burke got his habit of repetitiveness early (using the same word, or description, or focusing on certain actions). But it is an enjoyable read.
umdaba
He's my favorite author. Read a Burke book and your in a dark theater by yourself surrounded and engulfed by his images. I've read them all but can only do so once every 3-4 months because in the end they are their message about the human condition is not hopeful.
Julie Gredvig
I loved the southern vioces but the ending was trite. The descriptions of the places in Montana are spot on. I know someone who helped close down Stauffer Chemical plant in Butte so this book was especially close.
Melissa
James Lee Burke read by Will Patton is as good as it gets. This is a reread for me and I loved it even more this time. I love Burke's descriptions, his sense of place and his very real, very raw, very human characters.
Greta Roussos
Liked this first book by James Lee Burke, very much. Louisiana & Montana are connected in a passionate story of clashing values and colliding priorities. Perfect reading for our flight home from New Orleans.
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • The Lonely Silver Rain (Travis McGee #21)
  • Ladies' Man
  • Twelve Mile Limit
  • Street of No Return
  • Soul Circus
  • Those Who Walk Away
  • Bad Chili (Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, #4)
  • Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)
  • An Iron Rose
  • Finding Moon
  • All the Flowers Are Dying (Matthew Scudder, #16)
  • Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)
  • Recoil
James Lee Burke is an American author best known for his mysteries, particularly the Dave Robicheaux series. He has twice received the Edgar Award for Best Novel, for Black Cherry Blues in 1990 and Cimarron Rose in 1998.

Burke was born in Houston, Texas, but grew up on the Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast. He attended the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and the University of Missouri, receiving a...more
More about James Lee Burke...
The Neon Rain (Dave Robicheaux, #1) The Tin Roof Blowdown (Dave Robicheaux, #16) Black Cherry Blues (Dave Robicheaux, #3) The Glass Rainbow (Dave Robicheaux, #18) In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead (Dave Robicheaux, #6)