Start by marking “Exotics and Erotics: Human Cultural and Sexual Diversity” as Want to Read:
Exotics and Erotics: Human Cultural and Sexual Diversity

Exotics and Erotics: Human Cultural and Sexual Diversity

2.6 of 5 stars 2.60  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In the current, fast-paced information age, implicit and explicit images and messages relating to sex and sexuality abound. But sex and sexuality often are misconstrued and misunderstood by those who perceive them through the narrow lens of their own place and time. Middleton's fundamentally anthropological treatment explores universal human sexuality in conjunction with i ...more
Unknown Binding, 147 pages
Published December 14th 2001 by Waveland Press (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Exotics and Erotics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exotics and Erotics

Audacia Ray
Fuck this book.

Last year when I cast my net in search of potential texts for the "Human Sexuality 101" class I teach at Rutgers, several people recommended Exotics and Erotics to me. It came into my periphery too late to check it out and add to the syllabus, but I decided I would check it out as potential reading for a future class.

It's short - only 120 pages, so I thought it might be a good alternative to a hardcover formal text book to cover some basic stuff. Well: I will stick to my plan of a
Apr 28, 2009 Tortla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who would like an introduction to anthropology, via sexuality
Shelves: schooly, feministy
I really liked the first chapter, but the second chapter was a little heavy on the this-is-the-basic-idea-behind-anthropology. Definitely interesting, even though I'm not sure if I agree with Malinowski (sp?) being referenced so much, since Weiner has proved his findings wrong (or at least outdated).
Melissa Lee-tammeus
For a textbook, I actually loved this book. We get so used to our Americanized ways of sex and behavior that I found this book incredibly fascinating in how other cultures handle the nuances of sex and sexual behavior. Who knew?
The book was informative, but hipocritical. The author makes a point of discussing the negative points of using sex to sell products, but look at the cover of his book!!!
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Kirsten Tautfest
Kirsten Tautfest marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Amanda added it
Jun 11, 2015
Lilith Noir
Lilith Noir marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Bobbie Mitchell
Bobbie Mitchell marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Roy Gómez-Cruz
Roy Gómez-Cruz marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Honnie added it
Jul 16, 2012
Katie added it
Oct 30, 2010
emm marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2010
Becky added it
Nov 05, 2008
The Challenge of Human Diversity: Mirrors, Bridges, & Chasms The Challenge of Human Diversity: Mirrors, Bridges, and Chasms Hackett (Hackett series)