Start by marking “Dead Letters Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Dead Letters Vol. 1

Dead Letters Vol. 1

"Il est amnésique, mais eux ne l’ont pas oublié. Sam se réveille dans un motel miteux, les bras bandés et un revolver sur son bureau. Comment est-il arrivé ici ? Où est-il ? Qui est-il ? Il n’en a pas la moindre idée... Mais les types armés qui frappent à sa porte, eux, oui. Pris pour cible, Sam va devoir très vite se rappeler toutes les astuces de son répertoire oublié de ...more
Published September 9th 2014 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Dead Letters Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Letters Vol. 1

Sam Quixote
Dec 27, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it did not like it
Some Guy appears in a generic city. He can’t remember who he is or anything. Then some guys show up and try to get them to work for him. Some other guys show up and try to get him to work for them. What work? Like guns and junk. He’s a hitman? He works for both but he’s really working for himself. The guys are God and The Devil. He is in Purgatory.

This book is beyond boring. I was thinking of literally anything while reading this and, when I paid attention to it, I immediately forgot what I’d j
Christopher
I have zero idea what book Sam read, though it's been a year and a half, so he probably doesn't either.

They're coming, Sam. You'd better start running.

Our story opens with an amnesiac waking up in a grungy motel room with a gun beside him and the phone ringing. The caller says the above and we're off to the races without knowing why.

We eventually learn that we are in a limbo of sorts and are being recruited to hunt down some woman by a representative of god. Limbo is exactly what you expect,
Matt
Dec 31, 2014 Matt rated it liked it
This would be 4 stars if the art wasn't so incredibly busy and the writing wasn't so wordy. I almost feel like it would've made a better book than a comic.
Sardonyx
Nov 14, 2016 Sardonyx rated it liked it
I liked the art style. I was intrigued by the idea of the place and some of the characters have interesting potential. the story feels a bit disjointed but overall I liked it!
Drew Perron
Aug 21, 2014 Drew Perron rated it liked it
Skye Kilaen
Nov 23, 2016 Skye Kilaen rated it it was amazing
When Sam wakes up without his memory, in a run-down motel with bandages on his arms, he knows something is not right. When people start trying to kill him, he knows it's even worse than he feared.

It turns out that Sam is in Purgatory, basically, and there's a local gang war about to explode. Sam's skills are in demand by multiple players. If only he could remember where he got them...? Sebela and Visions have done a great job creating a dark quasi-dream world where there can still be a halfway h
Demian Katz
Sep 21, 2015 Demian Katz rated it did not like it
I read the four issues of this volume over a long span of time because I just wasn't interested enough to read them quickly, yet I felt I should keep reading in case it became interesting. For me, it did not, though my protracted reading probably didn't help make the plot any more comprehensible. Perhaps if the themes or tone of the work had appealed to me more, I'd feel differently, but Abrahamic mythology and gangster stories both tend to bore me, and apparently mixing them together doesn't ...more
Gayle Francis Moffet
Aug 07, 2014 Gayle Francis Moffet rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2014, august-2014
A great hook, a great look, and a strong start to a great book. I love a good antihero, and it looks like Sam is going to be exactly that. He's bad guy 101, waking up in Limbo after having died under circumstances he can't remember. He promises loyalty to everyone, gives it to no one, and in the end, finds himself with an offer he can't refuse. It's strong writing with world-build and great art by Chris Visions that helps bring the necessary level of odd and off-center look to better help you ...more
Albert Yates
Jan 12, 2015 Albert Yates rated it really liked it
a very clever little book, making me think about life after death, where our souls go, do we feel or remember anything.

what happens if the place where we go to be sorted into heaven and hell turns out to be a lot like earth, full of temptation, guns, drugs, and pain?

Dead Letters found a way to get you to think about those things while telling you a captivating sorry of revenge, betrayal, and attempted murder. can you die if you're already dead?
Chris
Sep 03, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Dead Letters was an alternative, and interesting, take on the after-life. This volume was very noir like, though the main character wasn't a detective, so it broke from the typical. The artwork was very interesting, mostly quite loose and sketchy, but with a lot of movement. I really liked it for the most part, though some of it seemed a little rushed. The storyline was interesting and I would definitely look for Volume 2.
Ditta Reads
Aug 13, 2015 Ditta Reads rated it it was ok
Star rating: 2.5ish

I don't know how to feel about this first volume. I switched between being intrigued and being confused. I liked the art and I liked the premise. I can't really make sense of everything tho, especially the ending. I did enjoy it to some extend. Didn't love it.

Not planning on continuing this serie.
Ben
Oct 18, 2015 Ben rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the scratchy art style and interesting premise of the first issue and was very keen to read more, however, I don't remember anything else that happened in the remaining issues after that, so I won't be reading more any time soon, if ever.
John Trent
Aug 08, 2014 John Trent rated it it was amazing
Combining the Bourne Identity with a mob war and mythological overtones gets you a fantastic comic in Dead Letters #1. Writer Christopher Sebela has the reader craving more from the very start. Read more at http://boundingintocomics.blogspot.nl...
Abdulmajeed
Dec 19, 2015 Abdulmajeed rated it did not like it
Only 2 things are good about Dead Letters:
1. The cover
2. The moment they reveal he is in (SPOILER) purgatory.
Stephanie Griffin
Stephanie Griffin rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Ithlilian
Dec 02, 2016 Ithlilian marked it as did-not-finish
Can't even get through issue one. Not for me.
Bryn
Bryn rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Rachel
Aug 25, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
YES!! One of my favorite new titles!!
Luis Camarillo
Luis Camarillo rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2015
W
W rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Jure
Jure rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2014
Orion Zangara
Orion Zangara rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Eric Novello
Eric Novello rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Filipe Alves
Filipe Alves rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Scotto Moore
Scotto Moore rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Mai
Mai rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
Christa
Christa rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
David Mortenson
David Mortenson rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015