Start by marking “Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place, #2) (Callahan's Series, #7)” as Want to Read:
Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place, #2) (Callahan's Series, #7)

Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place, #2) (Callahan's #7)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  1,429 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
For years, Callahan's was the place where friends met to have a few drinks, tell a few jokes, and occasionally save the world. Until that unfortunate incident with the nuke a few years ago....

But Jake Stonebender and his wife have opened a new Callahan's, Mary's Place, and all the regulars are there: Doc Webster, Fast Eddie the piano player, Long Drink McGonnigle, and of c
Mass Market Paperback, 214 pages
Published September 15th 1997 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place, #2), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place, #2)

Ben Dongen
May 12, 2016 Ben Dongen rated it liked it
I got in trouble reading this book in high school. It was English class and we were supposed to be playing scrabble. I was frustrated by the other students taking half the class looking through the dictionary to find a word to play. So I read.
I was sent to the principal's office. He asked me why I was there, and I told him. He questioned the teacher as to why it was important to play scrabble. She told him it was to build our vocabulary. I replied that I was reading. She didn't get it.
The next t
James Adams
Mar 05, 2016 James Adams rated it liked it
Shelves: d-j-popsugar
But a really likable three.
Look, it's a bucket of laughs, with a little bit of tears, and some seriously controversial things to say about sex, some that I vehemently disagree with. It's got the potential end of the world, a lot of booze, and two of the ugliest critters that ever lived (and they aren't even aliens).
The story all takes place in one eventful night, and the whole thing is basically a shaggy-dog story where increasingly preposterous things walk into a bar, one after the other. We le
Tracey
Dec 21, 2007 Tracey rated it it was ok
Shelves: libraryread
After getting part of the way thru Callahan's Con - I realized that I had only a dim memory of the previous books... in checking my bookshelf, I found I had copies of Callahan's Key and Callahan's Touch, but not this one, so I checked it out from the library.

I wasn't missing much. It was a better book than Con was, but that's not saying a whole lot. In this installment, Zoey Berkowitz Stonebender is 9 1/2 months pregnant, and Mary and Mickey show up with a Scout on their tail. So, once again, t
Jeff Yoak
Books read by their authors are never "pretty good." They're nearly always terrible or great. Many authors are terrible narrators even when they're good authors. Some are good at it, and bring something special to the reading because it is their own work and the experience works out to be exceptional.

Robinson is off the scale. He's amazingly great. So much of his writing is his style of humor and his timing and delivery are hard for someone else to match. While I really enjoyed The Callahan Chro
Tomislav
Mar 31, 2016 Tomislav rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I've only read one of the earlier Callahan's Crosstime Saloon books before, but not this one. As far as humorous sf goes, I far prefer Spider Robinson to the inexplicably popular Terry Pratchett.

I really enjoyed the opening episodic chapters of Callahan's Legacy, laughing out loud at the goofiness and groaning at the puns. I have to admit that eventually the book began to grow repetitive, but the ending comes quickly. In the end, we are re-assured of the universal bonding power of alcoholic beve
Sean
Jul 27, 2012 Sean rated it liked it
Spider Robinson is weird.

The plot is thus: a giant evil alien lizard (with 3 breasts) is on its way to destroy the earth. So the main characters decide to share how they all first came to be a barfly at Mike Callahan's tavern. In short.

I can't help but feel by this stage Robinson was getting a teensy bit too comfortable with...expressing himself. And, like I said above, Spider Robinson is weird. Not bad weird, just...neutral weird. At least, his perception of reality is a bit skewed (in a lovely
Chris
May 27, 2015 Chris rated it liked it
The world is going to end in an hour...let's get drunk and stoned.

Book has poignant insights (Doc's story) and veers into creepy child molester territory. But the book is written by an old, unreformed free-loving hippie, and has an opening scene describing (in detail) sex with a pregnant woman.

The audio book was really well read, the only downside from paper book is I couldn't SEE the wordplay Spider Robinson is famous for.
Steven
Feb 22, 2014 Steven rated it liked it
Spider Robinson is the only author whose short stories I like better than his longer works. This book is basically an elongated short story, and takes place over a very short time frame. I like the “main plot”, but the B plot that bookends the story is fairly disappointing. It's an unfortunate mix of half extremely believable and in-character for Jake, and half very out of character and hard to believe. The “big bad outer space threat” of the book is handled well (if entirely derivatively compar ...more
Dave
Jan 19, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-read
A rollicking piece of fun with some social commentary and philosophy wrapped up in the story. This book is 7th or 9th (depending on how you count them) in a series. I happened on it while browsing my local library's online offerings of digital audio books and thought it might be a good escape. The premise reminds me of Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures and Phule's Company series. The abundance of puns may remind some readers of Piers Anthony Jacob's Xanth series. A band of colorful characters gath ...more
Lisabet Sarai
May 01, 2015 Lisabet Sarai rated it really liked it
Wild, silly, and inspiring. If only more of the world were inhabited by people like those who frequent Mary's Place.

I particularly enjoyed the notion of a telepathic mind bond that includes a woman in labor. That would teach the men a thing or two.
Stef
Sep 04, 2014 Stef rated it really liked it
great book, great puns, great insights. well read by the author
Jonathan
Apr 15, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If God came to me and said "I'll transit you to go have a beer with one person," I'm pretty sure that person would be Spider Robinson. And that's enough said about this book, or this series, that I'm sure anyone who's read it would grok.
Edward ott
Jul 04, 2015 Edward ott rated it really liked it
Omg this book was awesome
Space
Nov 13, 2012 Space rated it liked it
Shelves: time-travel
These Callahan books are so neat. They're a quick read, a good escape, and they don't take much thought. Well, some of the better puns do. But it's all brain candy. A nice escape from the rich world of The Windup Girl or the troublesome universe of The Dark Tower. Sometimes you just want to read something completely unbelievable, and completely off the beaten path of your usual literary travels. And that's exactly what these books do. And let's not forget the laughs they provide.
Kallierose
Jan 01, 2009 Kallierose rated it really liked it
These short stories, all tied together with a common place/cast, make you feel like maybe human beings aren't such cruel animals after all. Opening the first several Callahan books feels like a refreshing visit with old friends. You know them, and their quirks, and that if they're involved with a situation they will do whatever they can to make it better. These are good people. The in last couple of books the formula gets a little bit stale, but they are still enjoyable.
Timothy Boyd
Very funny collection of SiFi short stories. Recommended
Richp
Apr 24, 2015 Richp rated it it was ok
This is the first book I read in this series, although I have read 1 or 2 short stories.

Sometimes I found this book funny, sometimes tedious. Robinson admired Heinlein, and his narrator is a preachy Heinlein patriarch type, except that he isn't a patriarch, his first kid being born at the end of the book. This type of humor is tough to do well, and this falls short.

Note this book gives away much of the plots of previous books in this series.
Hobbes
Jun 09, 2012 Hobbes rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Hobbes by: Devin Murphy
This particular installment was a bit harder to read, it gave the back stories of some of the older characters and they were not easy stories. However, like almost all of the Callahan stories, they help you to be a bit better for reading them. The most mundane thing in the entire book is Jake and Zoey having their baby. And the best lesson is good times with good friends can solve anything.
Travis
Nov 20, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
This time around the gang at Callahan's bar has to save the world yet again, but this time the 'Mick o' time' isn't around to save them.
More great, pun filled humor, wonderful characters, wild ideas about science, sex, the world and alcohol and a couple plot threads from previous books all come together for yet another great read.

Spider Robinson is one of my literary heroes.
Dodie Reed
Nov 06, 2011 Dodie Reed rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Robinson's writing. He has a great sense of humor, although I do groan at the many puns in the book. Of course, these are an integral part of the ambience of Mary's Place and before that Callahan's place, so I really wouldn't change anything about it.
Keith
Jul 01, 2013 Keith rated it it was amazing
There is something about a Spider Robinson Callahan Novel that just agrees with me. It resonates deep within me. It makes me laugh, think, feel sorrow, and joy. This one is a winner in my book. Read all the Callahan novels!!!!
Nytetyger
Nov 01, 2009 Nytetyger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-challenge
No really—go find TIME TRAVELERS STRICTLY CASH and read it. They’re short stories; easy and light to read. You’ll laugh a lot. Then maybe even cry a lot. Then you’ll grok why folks who READ these books love them.
Angela Alcorn
I unfortunately read this too soon and I'm afraid that I've seen a lot of spoilers now. Advice: Read the Callahan books in order.
Chris
Jul 20, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Re-read the whole series 7/2012. All are feel-good light reading. Series goes gradually downhill, but all are enjoyable.
Rusty
May 09, 2011 Rusty rated it it was ok
The weakest of the Callahan books I have read. Worth reading if you are a fan, but I sure wouldn't start here.
Jack
Nov 24, 2015 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, relaxing read.
DaughterDaDa
Oct 17, 2008 DaughterDaDa rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Not for children. Vulgarity.
David Caldwell
I need to reread this one.
scherzo♫
Apr 22, 2013 scherzo♫ rated it really liked it
Shelves: otherwhere
Very lite sci-fi
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • Variable Star
  • Starfarers
  • Slow Train to Arcturus
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • Freedom Flight (Wing Commander, #1)
  • Sleipnir
  • Digital Knight
  • The Nether Scroll (Lost Empires #4)
  • Futures Imperfect
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • The Complete Compleat Enchanter
  • The Anything Box
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
19317
Spider Robinson is an American-born Canadian Hugo and Nebula award winning science fiction author. He was born in the USA, but chose to live in Canada, and gained citizenship in his adopted country in 2002.

Robinson's writing career began in 1972 with a sale to Analog Science Fiction magazine of a story entitled, The Guy With The Eyes. His writing proved popular, and his first novel saw print in 1
More about Spider Robinson...

Callahan's (9 books)
  • Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (Callahan's, #1)
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's Series, #2)
  • Callahan's Secret (Callahan's Series, #3)
  • Callahan's Lady (Lady Sally's, #1:Callahan's Series, #4)
  • Lady Slings the Booze (Lady Sally's, #2: Callahan's Series, #5)
  • The Callahan Touch (Mary's Place, #1:Callahan's Series, #6)
  • Callahan's Key (The Place, #1) (Callahan's Series, #8)
  • Callahan's Con (The Place, #2) (Callahan's Series, #9)