Start by marking “For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx, #1)” as Want to Read:
For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx, #1)

For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,366 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
He was just a freckle-faced, redheaded kid with green eyes and a strangely campelling stare when Mather Mastiff first saw him an the auctioneer's block. One hundred credits and he was hers.

For years the old woman was his only family. She loved him, fed him, taught him everything she knew -- even let him keep the deadly flying snake he called Pip.

Then Mother Mastiff mysteri
Published March 12th 1987 by Del Rey (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about For Love of Mother-Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Love of Mother-Not

Grass by Sheri S. TepperParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonThe Anubis Gates by Tim PowersThe Rookie by Scott Sigler
Most Under-rated Science Fiction
121st out of 1,154 books — 1,426 voters
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation by Paul Cude
Dragons/Serpents
48th out of 306 books — 234 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
Nov 25, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J L's Bibliomania
Sep 19, 2014 J L's Bibliomania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2014-reads
I read and enjoyed Alan Dean Foster’s stories of Flinx and Pip when I was a teen/college student. This was the mid-80’s and there were a half dozen books or so. They’ve recently been re-released (and apparently several more books have been written). My younger son, the voracious SF-Fantasy reader, picked up a few from the library, so I decided to give it a re-read.

I typically like to read extended series in the order they were written, not the order things occur chronologically in the series. Ev
An Odd1
Jun 26, 2013 An Odd1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fan
"But I don't want to be different," he insisted, almost crying. "I just want to be like everyone else." p245. The plaint of many a teen, but in a sci-fi setting. Easy to care for characters in a believable chase cross-country, saved more by smarts than deus ex machina luck. No odd omens or peculiar prophecies - straight action, motivated by different honest convictions.

In the marketplace of backwater planet Moth, Flinx, now 16, was raised the last eight years by Mother Mastiff, now 98. Gene-man
Meggie
I came across this audio book series by accident and decided to try it out. The starting point for Flint and his flying dragon Pip was well developed and enjoyable from the beginning till the end. I liked Flint. He was a smart young boy and I'm looking forward to read more about his adventures.
Aelvana
Dec 30, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it
He was just a slightly unusual boy with a very unusual pet: a flying snake with a very deadly venom. Flinx has grown up under Mother Mastiff's care, and when she's kidnapped, he sets out to rescue her. But the adventure will prove to be more than he anticipated, the stakes higher, and the mysteries deeper. After all, what could anyone want with him?

The story of yet another adolescent boy and his pet has enough twists to keep everything fresh. Flinx's unstable and unpredictable Talent is only par
Alex Simonet
Jun 14, 2014 Alex Simonet rated it really liked it
The first book in the Pip and Flinx series provides an engaging if not thought provoking read within the much visited (often sullied) realm of science fiction. A (very) short coming of age story, it introduces our hero Flinx as a young (you guessed it) orphan with 'a bit extra' through his childhood as a wilful youth in the misty city of death that is Drallar. Characterisation in these kinds of novels is often hit and miss not an integral part of the book so credit is due to Foster who crafts th ...more
Al "Tank"
Apr 01, 2015 Al "Tank" rated it it was amazing
Orphan Flinx is adopted (bought) by a quarrelsome old woman who owns a small shop. Her shop is located in the only large city on a planet where it rains most of the time (sounds like the Pacific Northwest). She becomes the mother he never had.

One night, he "hears" a lonely thought using an unreliable "talent" for feeling emotions and traces it to a strange winged snake in a garbage heap which immediately "adopts" Flinx as his new owner (buddy?). He names it "Pip". Well, it turns out that Pip is
Jeffrey
May 22, 2010 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
In an attempt to fill in some of the blanks in the Flinx backstory, Foster published this prequel to the events that took place in The Tar-Aiym Krang. It tells how Flinx was adopted, about his relationship with Mother Mastiff, about his beginning uses of his talent, and provides some context about his enemies -- information that was sort of alluded to in Orphan Star and The End of the Matter is more explicitly handled here.

Its also a really good action adventure novel, as Mastiff is kidnapped an
William Bentrim
Jul 07, 2010 William Bentrim rated it really liked it
For Love of Mother-Not by Alan Dean Foster

This is the first of the Pip and Flinx stories. Pip is an Alaspinian mini-dragon. Flinx is an orphan with interesting talents. Flinx is the unwitting target of both law enforcement and an underground outlaw group. Avoiding entrapment by either group is the gist of the story.

I have enjoyed the Pip and Flinx stories over the years and have carefully kept them for my grandson. I was delighted to find this first volume to set the scene for the later books.
Dan
Oct 01, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the main character and I am looking forward to more of his adventures and seeing how he grows. Wish I had run across these books sooner!

On a side note I dislike how the books in the commonwealth universe have been categorized on GR. What should be done is someone needs to go through all the books and redo the whole category. They should all be under the "Commonwealth Chronology" with a second category if they are in a specific series.

For example For love of Mother-Not should be
Iain Turnbull
Nov 27, 2012 Iain Turnbull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, owned, kindle
The first Flinx book, this is really Flinx's origin story. It charts his adoption by the aged Mother Mastiff, who is then kidnapped some years later by the radical geneticists whose experiments led to Flinx's birth. They hope to use her to gain control over Flinx, who has empathic telepathic abilities, but doesn't know why or how to control them. The book then follows Flinx's attempt to rescue his adoptive mother, and his battle against the geneticists.

It's not a sophisticated piece of sci-fi, b
Ila Fetterly
Nov 18, 2015 Ila Fetterly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

I bought this book based on a review on Book bub, but it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. The universe is new to me, well thought out and believable, the characters are well drawn, and the plot is riveting. I couldn't put it down, and now must get the next book in the series to satisfy my curiosity about what happens next with Pip and Flinx.
Camille
Sep 07, 2015 Camille rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2015
I immediately was caught up in this story and it became a page turner for me. It slowed down a bit during the forest part, but quickly became a page turner again after he reached his destination... I liked the writing, the plot and characters... I look forward to reading more in this series.
Timothy Boyd
May 17, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Dean Foster is one of my top 5 favorite writers, and the commonwealth books are my favorite works of his. These are great SiFi reads, you are swept up in the story and done with the adventure before you realize it. Flinx & his pet dragon Pip are great heroes. Very recommended
Ruan Peat
Aug 31, 2014 Ruan Peat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-and-loved
I read this as a teen and loved it, I have recently been revisiting old stories and while most are okay I have loved these ones again! the basic set up is a fresh now as then and the pace and characterization both work well and I love them.
Matthew Link
Par for the course for ADF. An enjoyable read. Nothing of earth shattering brilliance, but he's always good for an enteraining story.
Perry
Feb 25, 2015 Perry rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Huge nostalgia burst reading this one.

Trying to not let it color my perceptions.

It was definitely a servicable read, but I think there were definitely things that could have been tightened up.

All the same though? It moved at a nice, brisk pace, and there's a bit at the end where Flinx sort of cries out about how he doesn't want to be different? How he just wants to be like everyone else?

I remember that really spoke to me when I was younger.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this seri
Cherie Waggie
Nov 11, 2014 Cherie Waggie rated it it was amazing
If you've never read the Flinx series, I highly recommend these books. You'll find yourself falling in love with the adventurous and adorable redhead, Flinx, as he fights his way to remain free from the genetic manipulators who created him, and his loyal and protective mini-dragon, Pip. I've read all of these books, and as Flinx has grown from childhood to manhood, I have really enjoyed accompanying him on his journey. The funny thing is that I started with a book that turned out to be number fo ...more
Megan
Kevin
Oct 19, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read with warm interesting characters you will care about. I am "re-reading" this series now in series order as most of them are available in audio book format. For me this is science fiction from the days when there was still sense of wonder and optimism about the future. That wonderful pulse pounding feeling is sadly lacking in much of today's nihilistic fiction, and this series fills that void very well.

Having said that, I would not recommend this book as an introduction to the s
Barbara
Aug 11, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this story of Flinx and Pip. I've never read a book by Alan Dean Foster that I can recall, but I liked his style. I understand that this book is a prequel to a whole series of books about Flinx and Pip. Flinx is adopted as a young boy by an old woman who runs a shop. She pretty much lets him run wild and learn on his own, but gives him a warm and loving home. As he gets older, he realizes that he has a "Talent," he can read people's emotions, but not in any consistent way, h ...more
Leland Gilsen
Nov 22, 2015 Leland Gilsen rated it really liked it
Introduction to the characters Flinx and his pet Pip. Decent character development but of course the protagonist has bio-engineered "talents".
The dialog often sounds more like academic lectures than human interaction, full of words totally out of place for some of the characters. Non-educated locals sounding like university professors lecturing then sounding poorly trained in language skills.
J.
Nov 25, 2015 J. rated it really liked it
This book is not a new release but years ago several friends recommended the Flinx series and I never got around to reading it.
Now I have read at least the first one and I see why they liked it. Good fast read, interesting characters and plot with twists that kept me reading.
I've ordered the second book in the series which shows how much I liked this one.
Amy
Nov 27, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
This was the first book I read in the Pip and Flinx series - I'm a sucker for reading things in chronological order.

It was pretty good, and kept my interest, for the most part.

My only complaint was the bad people/the villains. They talked way too much and spent too much time spelling out their plans to the point of making me want to skip their passages entirely. I know this is a fantasy world, but how much of it was really necessary? Did we really need to have the characters talk for paragraphs
Jennifer Custer
When trying to read the correct order of Flinx's life, this is book 1. The book begins the story of telling of Flinx's adoption by Mother Mastiff & his first encounter by his minidrag, Pip.
John
Nov 16, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
1988 grade B+
2003 grade A

Series book F1
(This is actually a prequel to The Tar-Aiym Krang. my series numbers are based on Flinx's age.)

Flinx age (5 & 15) or ( 8 & 16)
Janelle
Feb 16, 2016 Janelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The first book on Pip and Flinx, the orphaned Pip must track down his foster mother and her kidnappers. Just a fun read all around!
John
Feb 17, 2012 John rated it really liked it
This book was entertaining and held my interest well. Alan Dean Foster does have a problem with shifting points of view from one paragraph to the next but I never seemed to have a problem with that.

Several of the characters had an annoying habit of being both interesting and temporary. I applaud this trait.

I was disappointed at the overall plot of the evil Meliorare Society. It seemed overly complicated and prone to mistakes. It was far to easy for a 16 year old to tear apart months of work by
Becca
Aug 31, 2013 Becca rated it liked it
While I found the premise of this book interesting, I'm not as impressed with the story as I wanted to be. I found it a bit too adolescent for my taste. Things were resolved so easily, then problems arose that could have easily been prevented had communication actually been open, then problems were once again easily and somewhat miraculously resolved. Meh, not my cup o'tea.

Some of the characters were great, but others, I didn't see a point to their existence. Maybe they're important later on. Ma
Al Bokolor
Jan 20, 2015 Al Bokolor rated it really liked it
Excellent page turner - will get through the first three in the series before leaving detailed commentary.
What's The Name o...: SciFi book - Fix/Fitz (?) with a small dragon-like companion [s] 4 32 Feb 16, 2013 09:12AM
Dragons, dragons ...: Pip and Flinx 1 2 Sep 14, 2012 05:45AM
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)
  • Wolfling
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • The Kiribati Test
  • A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard, #1)
  • Serpent's Reach
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Endurance (Stardoc, #3)
  • Irsud
  • Fire Dancer (Dancer, #1)
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • The Universe Against Her
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • First to Fight (Starfist, #1)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Pip & Flinx (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #2)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx, #11)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • Flinx in Flux (Pip & Flinx, #5)
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx, #6)
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #7)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #10)

“meal was sensitized: any nonprogrammed disruption” 0 likes