Start by marking “For Love of Mother-Not” as Want to Read:
For Love of Mother-Not

For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,579 ratings  ·  71 reviews
He was just a freckle-faced, redheaded kid with green eyes and a strangely campelling stare when Mather Mastiff first saw him an the auctioneer's block. One hundred credits and he was hers.

For years the old woman was his only family. She loved him, fed him, taught him everything she knew -- even let him keep the deadly flying snake he called Pip.

Then Mother Mastiff mysteri
Published March 12th 1987 by Del Rey (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about For Love of Mother-Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Love of Mother-Not

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le GuinGrass by Sheri S. TepperParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonThe Anubis Gates by Tim Powers
Most Under-rated Science Fiction
138th out of 1,032 books — 1,072 voters
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniBentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation by Paul CudeEldest by Christopher Paolini
Dragons/Serpents
42nd out of 317 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

An Odd1
"But I don't want to be different," he insisted, almost crying. "I just want to be like everyone else." p245. The plaint of many a teen, but in a sci-fi setting. Easy to care for characters in a believable chase cross-country, saved more by smarts than deus ex machina luck. No odd omens or peculiar prophecies - straight action, motivated by different honest convictions.

In the marketplace of backwater planet Moth, Flinx, now 16, was raised the last eight years by Mother Mastiff, now 98. Gene-man
Meggie
I came across this audio book series by accident and decided to try it out. The starting point for Flint and his flying dragon Pip was well developed and enjoyable from the beginning till the end. I liked Flint. He was a smart young boy and I'm looking forward to read more about his adventures.
J L's Bibliomania
I read and enjoyed Alan Dean Foster’s stories of Flinx and Pip when I was a teen/college student. This was the mid-80’s and there were a half dozen books or so. They’ve recently been re-released (and apparently several more books have been written). My younger son, the voracious SF-Fantasy reader, picked up a few from the library, so I decided to give it a re-read.

I typically like to read extended series in the order they were written, not the order things occur chronologically in the series. Ev
Jeffrey
In an attempt to fill in some of the blanks in the Flinx backstory, Foster published this prequel to the events that took place in The Tar-Aiym Krang. It tells how Flinx was adopted, about his relationship with Mother Mastiff, about his beginning uses of his talent, and provides some context about his enemies -- information that was sort of alluded to in Orphan Star and The End of the Matter is more explicitly handled here.

Its also a really good action adventure novel, as Mastiff is kidnapped an
Alex Simonet
The first book in the Pip and Flinx series provides an engaging if not thought provoking read within the much visited (often sullied) realm of science fiction. A (very) short coming of age story, it introduces our hero Flinx as a young (you guessed it) orphan with 'a bit extra' through his childhood as a wilful youth in the misty city of death that is Drallar. Characterisation in these kinds of novels is often hit and miss not an integral part of the book so credit is due to Foster who crafts th ...more
Matthew Link
Par for the course for ADF. An enjoyable read. Nothing of earth shattering brilliance, but he's always good for an enteraining story.
Cherie Waggie
If you've never read the Flinx series, I highly recommend these books. You'll find yourself falling in love with the adventurous and adorable redhead, Flinx, as he fights his way to remain free from the genetic manipulators who created him, and his loyal and protective mini-dragon, Pip. I've read all of these books, and as Flinx has grown from childhood to manhood, I have really enjoyed accompanying him on his journey. The funny thing is that I started with a book that turned out to be number fo ...more
Al
Orphan Flinx is adopted (bought) by a quarrelsome old woman who owns a small shop. Her shop is located in the only large city on a planet where it rains most of the time (sounds like the Pacific Northwest). She becomes the mother he never had.

One night, he "hears" a lonely thought using an unreliable "talent" for feeling emotions and traces it to a strange winged snake in a garbage heap which immediately "adopts" Flinx as his new owner (buddy?). He names it "Pip". Well, it turns out that Pip is
Kevin
An enjoyable read with warm interesting characters you will care about. I am "re-reading" this series now in series order as most of them are available in audio book format. For me this is science fiction from the days when there was still sense of wonder and optimism about the future. That wonderful pulse pounding feeling is sadly lacking in much of today's nihilistic fiction, and this series fills that void very well.

Having said that, I would not recommend this book as an introduction to the s
Barbara
I thoroughly enjoyed this story of Flinx and Pip. I've never read a book by Alan Dean Foster that I can recall, but I liked his style. I understand that this book is a prequel to a whole series of books about Flinx and Pip. Flinx is adopted as a young boy by an old woman who runs a shop. She pretty much lets him run wild and learn on his own, but gives him a warm and loving home. As he gets older, he realizes that he has a "Talent," he can read people's emotions, but not in any consistent way, h ...more
William Bentrim
For Love of Mother-Not by Alan Dean Foster

This is the first of the Pip and Flinx stories. Pip is an Alaspinian mini-dragon. Flinx is an orphan with interesting talents. Flinx is the unwitting target of both law enforcement and an underground outlaw group. Avoiding entrapment by either group is the gist of the story.

I have enjoyed the Pip and Flinx stories over the years and have carefully kept them for my grandson. I was delighted to find this first volume to set the scene for the later books.
Dan
I really enjoyed the main character and I am looking forward to more of his adventures and seeing how he grows. Wish I had run across these books sooner!

On a side note I dislike how the books in the commonwealth universe have been categorized on GR. What should be done is someone needs to go through all the books and redo the whole category. They should all be under the "Commonwealth Chronology" with a second category if they are in a specific series.

For example For love of Mother-Not should be
Ruan Peat
I read this as a teen and loved it, I have recently been revisiting old stories and while most are okay I have loved these ones again! the basic set up is a fresh now as then and the pace and characterization both work well and I love them.
Amy
This was the first book I read in the Pip and Flinx series - I'm a sucker for reading things in chronological order.

It was pretty good, and kept my interest, for the most part.

My only complaint was the bad people/the villains. They talked way too much and spent too much time spelling out their plans to the point of making me want to skip their passages entirely. I know this is a fantasy world, but how much of it was really necessary? Did we really need to have the characters talk for paragraphs
John
Nov 16, 2014 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
1988 grade B+
2003 grade A

Series book F1
(This is actually a prequel to The Tar-Aiym Krang. my series numbers are based on Flinx's age.)

Flinx age (5 & 15) or ( 8 & 16)
Iain Turnbull
The first Flinx book, this is really Flinx's origin story. It charts his adoption by the aged Mother Mastiff, who is then kidnapped some years later by the radical geneticists whose experiments led to Flinx's birth. They hope to use her to gain control over Flinx, who has empathic telepathic abilities, but doesn't know why or how to control them. The book then follows Flinx's attempt to rescue his adoptive mother, and his battle against the geneticists.

It's not a sophisticated piece of sci-fi, b
John
This book was entertaining and held my interest well. Alan Dean Foster does have a problem with shifting points of view from one paragraph to the next but I never seemed to have a problem with that.

Several of the characters had an annoying habit of being both interesting and temporary. I applaud this trait.

I was disappointed at the overall plot of the evil Meliorare Society. It seemed overly complicated and prone to mistakes. It was far to easy for a 16 year old to tear apart months of work by
Becca
While I found the premise of this book interesting, I'm not as impressed with the story as I wanted to be. I found it a bit too adolescent for my taste. Things were resolved so easily, then problems arose that could have easily been prevented had communication actually been open, then problems were once again easily and somewhat miraculously resolved. Meh, not my cup o'tea.

Some of the characters were great, but others, I didn't see a point to their existence. Maybe they're important later on. Ma
Michael Hall
This is the first Pip and Flinx story. Flinx is an orphan, who is an empath, on a strange world with a mysterious past, and an even more mysterious organization after him. Pip is an Alaspinian mini-dragon with highly toxic and corrosive venom who becomes Flinx's pet and companion. I like that Flinx's psychic abilities isn't the main focus of the character growth yet is still central to who he is and the suspense about his origins. This is the story of a youngster who survives and succeeds using ...more
Kristy Maitz
It was interesting story plot. Its a starting point of Flint and Pip adventures.
Tracy Dobbs
I've seen the Flinx books in bookstores for years, but never really got around to buying them. Mostly because I hate to enter mid-series. This was a free Kindle offer as the first(timeline-wise, not as written) in the series. It was pretty good. Without any of the others, I'm not sure how it compares, but hopefully the main character is set up properly for his more "grown-up" character in the rest of the series.

I guess since this involve other world and space travel I should classify it as scien
Robdemanc
This wasn't as good as I hoped. The poor Flinx is sold at an auction and ends up with a woman he comes to think of as a mother. He meets Pip and discovers his telepathic powers. Then she is kidnapped and he must go in search of her.

Not as good as the other stories I read about Flinx and Pip but entertaining nevertheless.

Bryan457
Loved this 3 or 4 books of this series that were out when I was younger. Flinx fired my imagination with his psionic talents, his flying, venom spitting snake, pip and him being an orphan raised on the streets.
This was written later as a prequel to tell more of Flinx's early life.
However, I wanted for Flinx to develop and use his psionic talents. The series is now something like 13 books and his mental talents are still unreliable and pretty much useless; this was a very, very, very big disappoi
Rick English
First Pip and Flinx book. Good read
Lorrie Gipson
I loved it
Kylie
The plot of this book is a bit tedious at times. It's a very straightforward story line that isn't terribly unique. However, the characterization is pretty strong! The back story for Flinx, Pip, and Mother Mastiff was really fun to read, particularly as I was already familiar with the characters from a couple other books in the series.

Overall, it's not a perfect novel by any means. Foster greatly improved over time, and this is a pretty early effort. Still, it's worth a read for any fan of the c
Carolyn Gill
I started to read this series many many years ago. I've followed the series detail the adventures of Flinx and Pip. It's been a great time. The books take you to many different exotic places filled with fun and adventure. I so enjoy a good Science Fiction series. I've gone through the different genre's of literature but, have always returned to my favorite Sci Fi's. I am rereading some of the series. I didn't love every book but most were very entertaining.
Purpleallison Hoffman
This book was very "meh". I kept waiting for it to get exciting. Or at least to a point where I couldn't put the book down. But it never got there. The story wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.
Fred D
Another good book by Foster in the Flinx & Pip series. This time Flinx pursues some men who have kidnapped his foster mother. My favorite moment in the book was his description of these giant moose-like creatures on this planet where his foster mother is being held. These creatures are huge, shaggy, and tend to trample and destroy everything in their path. Quite amusing, I thought.
Julia
Just enough of a hint of the stuff Alan Dean Foster would get actually good at later in his career -- rich, integrated world-building, reasonably interesting character dynamics, and so on -- to make it readable despite how clumsily it's all put together. (I can definitely see how it would be awesome to a twelve-year-old boy. And I do mean that as a compliment.)
What's The Name o...: SciFi book - Fix/Fitz (?) with a small dragon-like companion [s] 4 30 Feb 16, 2013 09:12AM
Dragons, dragons ...: Pip and Flinx 1 2 Sep 14, 2012 05:45AM
  • The Warlock Wandering (Warlock Series, #5)
  • Changelings
  • The Kiribati Test
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)
  • First to Fight (Starfist, #1)
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • Serpent's Reach
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • The Shadow And Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1-2)
  • Fuzzy Sapiens (Fuzzy Sapiens, #2)
  • Fire Dancer (Dancer, #1)
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)