Start by marking “Regions of the Heart: The Triumph and Tragedy of Alison Hargreaves” as Want to Read:
Regions of the Heart: The Triumph and Tragedy of Alison Hargreaves

Regions of the Heart: The Triumph and Tragedy of Alison Hargreaves

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
By any standard, Alison Hargreaves was a world-class mountaineer. In May 1995, she reached the summit of Mount Everest without support or bottled oxygen. No other woman and few men had climbed the mountain in such a strong style, and the accomplishment made Hargreaves an international climbing star. Less than three months later she was dead, killed by a sudden, violent sto ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by National Geographic (first published August 26th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Regions of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regions of the Heart

Nigel
May 27, 2015 Nigel rated it really liked it
I've read a good few climbing books over the years however reading one that was solely about female climbers a little while back I realised that I had read less about Alison Hargreaves than a number of other climbers so I bought this one to address the balance.

Books about climbers often have some degree of bias in them but this one seems to strike a reasonable balance. The authors, both successful climbers, have written well here. The story is well laid out with not too much jargon. Alison life
Mazola1
Dec 23, 2008 Mazola1 rated it really liked it
Regions of the Heart tells the poignant life story of British climber, Alison Hargreaves. Hargreaves, who was killed descending K2 after successfully climbing it in 1985, was probably the best female British climber of her day. Unmotivated at school, and desiring only to climb, she left home at 18 to live with an older man (who she later married) who became both her mentor and her abuser.

Hargreaves was unable to break the bond which tied her to husband, despite the fact that she was fiercely in
Wilde Sky
Feb 16, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it liked it
This book details the life of a female climber who died on K2.

Quite an interesting book, but the writing was plodding / repetitive. I didn't get any sense of the real person / climber. I kept asking, 'What drove her?'

A simple glossary would have helped for non-climbers and some context / basic facts about the climber’s achievements would have been useful.
Tiffany Stoneman
A remarkable, tragic story of one woman and her determination to reach the top, for the benefit of her family. This book is inspiring and devastating, showing the strength of mind to succeed, and the risks you may need to take to get there. See my full review.
Mel
Oct 03, 2013 Mel rated it really liked it
It's not the type of book I normally pick up, but I found myself finishing it within the day!
For someone who doesn't know much about climbing, it was still easy to get fantastically in love with the world she lives for. Since it's not written from her point of view, and she was quite closed off about her emotions, at times she comes off as a little detatched. In reading from the exempts of her diary, you learn of her personal struggles and the strength she pulls off in each successful climb.
Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde
Aug 25, 2012 Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde rated it really liked it
I am not much for adventure books but I found this one very intriguing and interesting. The reader view of the life, thoughts, dreams and fears of Alison Hargreaves. Through her diaries we are able to attempt to understand what drove this woman to be a mountaineers in spite of her desires to take care of her children. As you finish the book, you will not doubt form you own opinions. None the less, this was Alison's life and we are not in a position to criticize. A very good read.
Dan Beatty
Sep 26, 2009 Dan Beatty rated it it was amazing
Very interesting story of a Alison Hargreaves as she readies herself to climb difficult mountains (even though her status as a divorces mother of young ones was very contraversial among climbing community). She is determined and does conquer some difficult climbs, although she finds her fate in her attempt on K-2, probably the recognized as the most difficult mountain in the world to climb.
Paul Barton
Jun 19, 2016 Paul Barton rated it it was ok
A below average biography of a motivated female climber. The text was highly repetitive. She seemed to be planning to leave her husband every day for several years! I was disgusted at the selfishness of this person. She climbed while 6 months pregnant. Oh and she fell off K2 to her death leaving behind 2 young children.
Sarah Sharps
Oct 06, 2015 Sarah Sharps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly a fascinating read about one of the greatest female mountaineers taken before her time.
Dec 09, 2012 Jennifer marked it as to-read
I returned this to the library unfinished.
Lulu
Lulu is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2016
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Nichola Sargeant
Nichola Sargeant marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Marcus Hallam
Marcus Hallam rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Vinnietran
Vinnietran marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Melissa S
Melissa S marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Rachael Hewison
Rachael Hewison marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Susannah
Susannah rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Ron S
Ron S rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Julian Catchpole
Julian Catchpole rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Megumi
Megumi rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Petter
Petter rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Aatir
Aatir marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Kat Orton
Kat Orton rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Rachel Parkes
Rachel Parkes rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
David Rose is a writer and investigative journalist. His awards include the David Watt Memorial Prize and the One World award for human rights journalism. His work appears in The Observer and Vanity Fair. Among his books are In the Name of the Law, a widely-praised examination of the British criminal justice system; and A Climate of Fear, an investigation of the Broadwater Farm case and the convic ...more
More about David Rose...