Start by marking “Regions of the Heart: The Triumph and Tragedy of Alison Hargreaves” as Want to Read:
Regions of the Heart: The Triumph and Tragedy of Alison Hargreaves

Regions of the Heart: The Triumph and Tragedy of Alison Hargreaves

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  6 reviews
By any standard, Alison Hargreaves was a world-class mountaineer. In May 1995, she reached the summit of Mount Everest without support or bottled oxygen. No other woman and few men had climbed the mountain in such a strong style, and the accomplishment made Hargreaves an international climbing star. Less than three months later she was dead, killed by a sudden, violent sto ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by National Geographic (first published August 26th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Regions of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regions of the Heart

Mazola1
Regions of the Heart tells the poignant life story of British climber, Alison Hargreaves. Hargreaves, who was killed descending K2 after successfully climbing it in 1985, was probably the best female British climber of her day. Unmotivated at school, and desiring only to climb, she left home at 18 to live with an older man (who she later married) who became both her mentor and her abuser.

Hargreaves was unable to break the bond which tied her to husband, despite the fact that she was fiercely in
Wilde Sky
This book details the life of a female climber who died on K2.

Quite an interesting book, but the writing was plodding / repetitive. I didn't get any sense of the real person / climber. I kept asking, 'What drove her?'

A simple glossary would have helped for non-climbers and some context / basic facts about the climber’s achievements would have been useful.
Mel
It's not the type of book I normally pick up, but I found myself finishing it within the day!
For someone who doesn't know much about climbing, it was still easy to get fantastically in love with the world she lives for. Since it's not written from her point of view, and she was quite closed off about her emotions, at times she comes off as a little detatched. In reading from the exempts of her diary, you learn of her personal struggles and the strength she pulls off in each successful climb.
Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde
I am not much for adventure books but I found this one very intriguing and interesting. The reader view of the life, thoughts, dreams and fears of Alison Hargreaves. Through her diaries we are able to attempt to understand what drove this woman to be a mountaineers in spite of her desires to take care of her children. As you finish the book, you will not doubt form you own opinions. None the less, this was Alison's life and we are not in a position to criticize. A very good read.
Dan Beatty
Very interesting story of a Alison Hargreaves as she readies herself to climb difficult mountains (even though her status as a divorces mother of young ones was very contraversial among climbing community). She is determined and does conquer some difficult climbs, although she finds her fate in her attempt on K-2, probably the recognized as the most difficult mountain in the world to climb.
Dec 09, 2012 Jennifer marked it as to-read
I returned this to the library unfinished.
Luste50
Luste50 marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
ZM
ZM marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Raita
Raita marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Missi
Missi marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Ita
Ita marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Marleah
Marleah marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Jun 24, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
David Rose is a writer and investigative journalist. His awards include the David Watt Memorial Prize and the One World award for human rights journalism. His work appears in The Observer and Vanity Fair. Among his books are In the Name of the Law, a widely-praised examination of the British criminal justice system; and A Climate of Fear, an investigation of the Broadwater Farm case and the convic ...more
More about David Rose...
The Big Eddy Club: The Stocking Stranglings and Southern Justice Guantanamo: The War on Human Rights In The Name Of The Law: The Collapse of Criminal Justice (Revised Edition) A Climate of Fear: Blakelock Murder and the Tottenham Three