Start by marking “Divine Merit (Divine #1)” as Want to Read:
Divine Merit (Divine #1)

Divine Merit (Divine #1)

Sometimes you have to stop fighting in order to win.

Trained from birth to become the ruler of the Nephilim and their island sanctuary, Amira is the perfect princess, until her birthright and even her fundamental beliefs are ripped away. She’ll discover perfection and training count for nothing when faced with a ruthless enemy determined to possess her and all she holds dea
Published January 29th 2016 (first published June 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Divine Merit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Merit

Justine
Apr 24, 2014 Justine rated it really liked it
This is not my normal read, but i said to myself, "Self, WTF. It my girls book, I'll give it a go. Never did expect to be hooked in the first chapter, nor did u expect a story better detailed and enjoyable than many published authors. I am so proud to call this women my friend, but am honored to have been able to be read an ACR of what i am sure will be an insanely popular series by a gifted writer.
Jennifer Sivec
Jul 08, 2014 Jennifer Sivec rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
I haven't read a book in this genre in a long time, and I was reminded me of why I love paranormal so much.
The characters were well drawn and interesting. Amira and Caeden were beautiful characters and I was easily drawn in. I loved the story line and the author kept me engaged in every chapter. I can't wait to read the next book in this series!
It was very well done.
Give Me Books
Sep 19, 2014 Give Me Books rated it it was amazing
First, let me say how awesome it is to read a paranormal book unlike anything I have ever read before. It is a whole new take on Nephilim, and their world.

I truly loved the characters in this book; they were well-thought-out and written. You get a glimpse at all the characters and their lives as you watch them deal with the situation and adapt to what needs to be done. Each character grows in his or her own way.

The Princess, Amira, is the main character, and by far my favorite. She grows through
Natasha
Sep 18, 2014 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Given for an honest review.

Just wow! I'm speechless. I can't tell you enough how amazing and how good this book was. If I could give it more stars I would.

First off I loved how it got straight into the story...no pointless introduction. The author has one fab imagination. This book was out of this world.....literally. It made me swoon, laugh and cry. It also had a dark side with lots of turmoil to the story and the author knows how to write one mean Villain.

I've just added not just one book bo
Maddie's One Read In Heaven
Dec 07, 2014 Maddie's One Read In Heaven rated it it was amazing
Wow what a magical read!

I was given the privilege to read this book for my honest review and what a book it was, This is not my normal genre so I was excited to read something Different and Wow did V. Cantrell deliver on that.
This book had me from the first chapter and I just couldn't put it down I finished it in a day, It's well written and the storyline has been carefully planned out and This story has it all dramatic drama, twisted plot, a true catching love story and each character you saw
Devlynn Ihlenfeld
Feb 04, 2015 Devlynn Ihlenfeld rated it it was amazing

Samaris Creech
Aug 07, 2015 Samaris Creech rated it it was amazing
Amira knows that soon it will be her duty, responsibility and honor to lead and keep her people safe. She also knows that at the time of her maturity she will be expected to name her king and consort. While many suitors come to her she already has her sights set on her Captain of the Guard, Caden. While Caden is attracted to Amira he fears that her feelings towards him are simply a girls crush and will fade so he does not allow himself to hope for more. When tragedy strikes the Kingdom and King ...more
Tonya
Jul 21, 2014 Tonya rated it it was amazing
I am reviewing this book for Abibliophobia Anonymous Book Blog.

This is an amazing read. I could not put it down. And will be patiently (well, try to be patient) waiting for the next book in this series. I am hooked on it. I am so glad I was given a chance to review this book. It's been on my TBR list since it's release. There characters are all so easy to love and connect with. Well, I loved all except for Sorin. Once you read the book, you'll understand why. I do think that he redeemed himself
My Girlfriend's Couch Blog
I'm not normally a paranormal reader so when I was asked to review this book, I thought, I'll give it a whirl. I have to say, it far exceeded my expectations. I was able to get into the story from the first chapter. I thoroughly enjoyed the way the story was structured and I found it quite whimsical. I loved Amira and I really felt her as I was reading her story.

In fact, I found it hard to put down. And never in my life did I think those words would come out of my mouth in relation to a paranor
Stephie Walls
Jun 16, 2014 Stephie Walls rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's so hard to find paranormal romance that isn't completely off the wall and so hard to follow because the author has created some alternate universe. Yes, V. Cantrell has created an alternate universe but it's more of one that is separated from the human world making it easy to dive into the Nephelim's world. I loved the characters and twisting plot. The romance was intertwined with an actual plot! As soon as I finished the book, I found the author on FB to ask her when the ...more
Jun 19, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Amira and her journey took me by surprise and kept me on the edge of my seat.

I have to thank V. Cantrell for writing this book. I loved the world she created around Amira. The characters had depth, the storyline took off and kept me turning the pages. I love to root for the good guys to win. And Ms. Cantrell's writing kept me cheering on the characters. The dialogue had a touch of humor at the right moments, which is always a good thing for me. Most of all, her words showed the story to me. Fant
Jill Madsen
Sep 28, 2014 Jill Madsen rated it liked it
Not my normal genre at all, but this was suggested to me by my mother in-law who knows the author. Typical fairy tale, princess wanting to do good, evil guy trying to gain power, handsome guard going to save the day. The pieces that made this different than a traditional fairy tale is Princess Amira is a strong young woman, wanting to take care of things on her own. She goes to her guard for training so she can do so. Also, her father is okay with her being in love with a guard even though it ...more
Kolleen Book Obsessions
Jan 30, 2016 Kolleen Book Obsessions rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of paranormal and anything to do with Nephilim; Devine Merit was exactly what I was looking for.

Princess Amira's turn around in this book was pretty incredible, she started so demure and innocent and in the end she grew into this amazing self assured girl. Loved her.

I was swept up in her journey in this world V. Cantrell created with such vivid detail, I felt like I was there. I was left wanting more but there was no huge painful cliffhanger.

All in all it was paranormal perfecti
Doris
Apr 09, 2016 Doris rated it it was amazing
Divine Merit will draw you in from the very first page, and when you reach the end.... you will want to start over. I loved this book! Amira is a Princess and she has to fight to keep her place in the world when she has a surprise thrown at her.
She has Caeden’s support and Valor on her side, but I think they each prove to be the others weakness.
I have read about Nephilim before but not like this! Loved reading about their world and inner ways, the world building was perfect. I can't wait to read
Toni Michelle-Editor
Aug 05, 2014 Toni Michelle-Editor rated it it was amazing
I received an ecopy of Divine Merit in exchange for an honest review.

Wow…simply wow….or rather not so simply. This book was amazing! Many books take a few chapters to suck you in, if they ever are able to do that, but this one will get you from the start….Chapter 1 will grab you by the cheeks and pull your nose all the way in until you just can’t get out! I mean it’s that good!!!!
I have never read anything by Cantrell before but I know I will be looking for all the books now!!!!
Toni Michelle-Editor
I received an ecopy of Divine Merit in exchange for an honest review.

Jacqueline
May 05, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the pace, character development and curve ball V Cantrell adds into the mix! I found myself getting very worked up over the course of Divine Merit which included a whole list of emotions. Caeden and Amira are two of the many wonderful characters brought to life by the writings of V Cantrell which I am eager to see more of!!!!
Helen Simpson
Aug 09, 2015 Helen Simpson rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK FROM START TO FINISH. AMIRA SUFFERS A HEARTACHE AND DEVASTATING OCCURANCE THAT MAKES HER HAVE TO GROW UP BEFORE HER TIME. SHE IS A STRONG FEMALE AND PROVES THIS THROUGHOUT THE BOOK. I LOVE THAT CAEDEN FINALLY ACTED ON HIS FEELINGS. WELL WRITTEN AND CANT WAIT FOR MORE.
Elizabeth Kelly
Jun 28, 2014 Elizabeth Kelly rated it it was amazing
Great first book from Virginia! The world she creates is one I want to get lost in.
I can't wait for the second part of this series.
Winter Sophia Rose
Amira's Journey Took Me By Surprise And Kept Me On The Edge Of My Seat! I Loved It!
Phyllis
Apr 25, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Review to come. :)
Shelly Wygant
Nov 20, 2016 Shelly Wygant rated it really liked it
Amira is a princess who has been trained from birth to become the ruler of the Nephilim and their island sanctuary. As this story starts she is training to learn to defend herself from Caeden, the captain of the Royal Guard. Amira has a crush on him, one that Caeden thinks is just a phase.

The story starts out as a romance but quickly becomes so much more. As Amira deals with tragedy she has to step into the role of leader sooner than she should. She is forced to create a bond with a monster. Fro
Books2blog
Jul 03, 2016 Books2blog rated it it was amazing
Having never read anything by this author and signing up to review just on the blurb, I truly didn’t know what to expect in this book. Was it going to be like a Mortal Instruments kind of story I thought to myself? Well it wasn’t. Divine Merit truly was in a class on its own and held its weight throughout. At a longer novel length and at a measured pace, I found myself loving every minute and I look forward to reading more in this series.
The island of Cashile is home to the fabled Nephilim and c
S.L. Dearing
Aug 25, 2016 S.L. Dearing rated it it was amazing
I have to say this is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Virginia Cantrell is a truly talented writer and this book is hopefully just the beginning. I'm glad this is a series, because now we get to keep reading about these characters.
The characters are engaging and likable (except for our villain, who is exactly what you want in a villain - evil, hateful, ugly) Amira is great! We get to see her grow, and reveal her flaws. Same with Caeden, he is definitely a dishy alpha male we ca
Franci Neill
Feb 07, 2016 Franci Neill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Kristin Scearce
Sep 02, 2015 Kristin Scearce rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved it from beginning to end. Amira is a beautiful character who really comes into her own, and Caeden is the type of man every girl dreams of: a lover, a fighter, a protector. The world of Cashile sounds like such a beautiful place, and the imagery used to describe it makes it seem so real, I can almost touch it.

I'm definitely interested in what happens following the end of this book, and I'm keeping this author o
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
J H
J H rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Bex 'n' Books
Bex 'n' Books rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Virginia's greatest passion has always been fiction, particularly romance. The innocent in her loves the idea of a happily ever after, but she has a massive soft spot for the bad boys. If you ask her, she'll tell you she's living her dream—getting paid to read and helping indie authors to create beauty by working as an editor for Hot Tree Editing. She's inspired by the many amazing indie authors ...more
More about Virginia Cantrell...