Start by marking “Red at Night” as Want to Read:
Red at Night

Red at Night (Harlequin More Than Words)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,522 ratings  ·  409 reviews
In Red at Night, Stella and Jonah are total opposites. She's the girl with purple hair from the wrong part of town. He's a high school senior who hangs with the cool crowd. Until a car accident leaves him haunted by guilt, and Jonah starts spending time at Stella's favorite refuge…the local cemetery.

Stella knows she should keep her distance—after all, she spent her girlhoo
Published April 1st 2014 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Red at Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red at Night

If it ain't good I don't read it !
So i stumbled across this book one day and I'm just like, "Hey this sounds nice"

Then for some reason my eyes started to wonder towards the authors name Katie McGarry

description

The name looked familiar for some reason, and I'm sitting there trying to place where exactly I'd seen it when it dawned on me

description

Katie Freakin McGarry as in Pushing the limits Katie. I almost had a stroke right then and there people.

Catarina
2 Mourning Stars.

Okay, so Stella has a bad “family” life and spends her day in the graveyard because is the only constant thing in her life.
Jonah went to a tragic experience and now also spends his days in the graveyard mourning someone he didn’t even knew and trying to find out what to do with his life.

So, they go to the same high-school and Jonah is one of the cool boys that everyone loves. His best-friend spend all their lives making fun of Stella and yet Jonah didn’t recognized her. (We
Jennifer Kyle
So, I love this author's Pushing the Limits series...

Stella is a quirky girl with violet hair who has had a rough upbringing and has to make some big decisions about her future.

Jonah has been changed by a tragic experience over the summer and finds happiness hanging out with Stella in the cemetery where they meet.

Stella has suffered her whole academic career being bullied by a creep who happens to be Jonah’s best friend.

description

Sadly, Jonah would laugh along with Cooper.

Will Jonah step away from his b
Angela (:
IT'S FREE. GET IT HERE.

My hand eases from her hip to her face, my thumb brushing against her cheek. Stella leans into me—all soft curves, all feminine, a heat that sparks and smolders at the same time. Her head tilts up as I lower mine and I know the moment our lips touch, any hope I had of returning to my old life will no longer exist.

RED AT NIGHT is beautiful.

Review to come.
Aimee

This is the part where you all glare at this reviewthrough your screens because this is the first work I've completely read by Katie McGarry. (I'm going to get an umbrella in case you guys want to virtually throw tomatoes at my face.)

Okay, so, this is probably one of those books where your perspective and interpretation of the book will greatly affect whether you’ll like it or not. Sadly, I’ve interpreted things in a bad way.

Anyway, I thought Red at Nightis one of those books where a lesson or
Wendy
I finished the book the day I got my hands on it. Sure, it was short, but that's not the only reason I finished it so quickly.
This book was marvellous. Like this gif description(view spoiler)

Katie McGarry is quickly making my elite I-love-everythi
Jess-i-ca ~The Gif Witch~
2 - Meh - Stars!

You know how you read something and then you think what was the point in that....That's how I felt when I finished this book. It was short so I knew beforehand it couldn't go into too much detail but still. I hate to give it a bad rating since it was a freebie but I saw too many things that aggravated me.

Stella is a gray eyed loner girl with violet hair who comes from a hard life.

Jonah is one of the "cool" kids and has recently experienced a tragedy that he can't seem to get over
Jacob Proffitt
A novella, and a short one, at that. Which is a real shame as I get the feeling this could have been more. Strangely, I actually accept the course of their relationship. Sort of, anyway. That's not the problem. The problem is that McGarry takes a lot of shortcuts to get this story complete in so short a space. This is most notable in the stereotypes of all the characters, and particularly the main two. Stella is the street girl done wrong. Jonah the rich boy questioning his privilege. Cooper is ...more
Shannelle
Jan 17, 2014 Shannelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

And it's freeeeee!

But who knows when it won't be, so preorder it already! You can buy Red at Night on Amazon.

Joana

"Thank you Jonah. For showing me that people can change. Even if its one out of a million."

Here is the thing, even if I think a story is somewhat predictable, if it's beautifully written and captivating, there is a point that I don't even notice anymore. And I was quite surprise to enjoy and get so emotional over this little story, that made me wish it was longer.
We got a girl and a boy, one doesn't fit in school, was constantly mocked and bullied and the other, even if it was the quiet type,
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

Katie McGarry is someone whose books are on my auto-buy list. In times when contemporary is not really my think there are always her stories that make me love the genre all over again. Her stories awake all those feelings in me and this one is not an exception.

I always say that writing a short-story is much harder in my opinion. Simply you have less space to express everything and still you must put all you need in it. Red at Night is a story that has all th
Ilze
It amazes me how much Katie McGarry can make me feel in just as little as 87 pages, which usually is where the story really begins for me.
I downloaded this book few hours ago, and I just had to read it today. It's emotional, but sweet short story with some valuable lessons along the way, which ultimately include forgiveness, redemption and some great life changes.

♥♥♥♥♥

“Do you think people can change?” I ask Rick.
“Yes,” he answers plainly. “There are those who can.”
That grabs my attention. “So
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
Love Katie McGarry! I seriously love her writing and story-telling. While this wasn't my favorite by her, Ret at Night provides a short, yet an emotional, humbling story of changes, second chances and an adorable romance. Based on the rating, I'm sure you'd think I wasn't very happy with this novella, but I was. It's obvious we're not going to get all the slow-burn and things happen quite fast, but in all honesty? It's not insta-love either, rather a friends-to-lovers kind of romance between Jon ...more
Kira
I think I got this as a freebie a while back and randomly picked it up yesterday. To be fair, it grabbed my attention right away and I read the whole thing, but if I had realized at the beginning that this was a novella, I wouldn't have bothered. I don't like novellas. This one was cute, predictable, not annoying but not memorable either. I liked the characters enough that if she had written a whole book with more of a plot, I would have read and probably enjoyed it, but as it was it was just a ...more
Deniz
If you've never read anything by Katie McGarry - this is certainly the book to start with. It's short but captivating, moving and well just the best cute and fluffy fix EVER!
Obviously I love McGarry's writing style and Red at Night did not disappoint at all. In fact it just proven and reestablished everything I love about McGarry's prose.
The story line is essentially rich hot dude falling for the outcast poor gal- kind of a Cinderella story. BUT the realistic version. So well done that even a
Belle
This novella tells the story of Stella, a girl from the wrong side of the tracks, and Jonah, a rich, popular guy who of course isn't without his own issues. They keep meeting at the cemetary and soon form a connection. This book was OK, it wasn't bad but it didn't blow me away either. It's quite short so of course you don't spend much time with the characters but I don't think that was the reason I didn't really connect with them. They just didn't feel particularly real to me, I suppose. Stella ...more
C.K.
Currently, this novella is available for FREE!

Rating 4.6

I love the cover for this novella. The title for the novella is very fitting to the story. There is symbolism and reference to the color red throughout the novella. Overall it was another great story by Katie McGarry. It takes place in the Pushing the Limits universe but the characters are new. Mrs. Collins is in the story!

Stella's situation was heartbreaking. Stella is very sweet. Jonah could be frustrating at times because he used to jus
Rose
Apr 01, 2014 Rose marked it as to-read-own-bought  ·  review of another edition
Guys, this is free right now on Amazon as of 4/1/14. (Not an April Fool's Joke!)

Grab, grab!!!! =P
Deborah
83 pages that feel like a full length book.

This is the first time I've read a book by this author and I have to say I was surprised, it's a short, quick read but it has the depth and full bodied characters we associate with a full length book.
I wasn't sure exactly what to expect at first but it soon grew on me I loved Johan and Stella. Stella is the girl that has been dealt a really rotten hand, she's living with her dad's ex-girlfriend who's a stripper, she's dirt poor and bullied at school. Jo
Lulufrances
Actual rating 2.5
Cute enough but nothing special and for an e-novella of only 84 pages I was actually quite underwhelmed.
I know that's not a proper length to really get invested with characters and their story but I felt completely indifferent and whatevs bro about Jonah (is that even his name!?) and Stella.
And I have actually read books of this length where I had all the feels, so maybe the length isn't even a good excuse.
But it was free, and highlighting a good cause called Goodie Two Shoes if
Veronika
You can find this with many other on my blog:

In this short story Katie McGarry tells us the story of a boy and a girl who are from different circles but still can’t help themselves falling in love with each other after an unexpected meeting in the cemetery.

First, I’m going to write down all the good things from Red at Night, the best thing was that the plot was about real life issues.
Family, moving on, friends, love, sociality, school, college etc.

Bullyi
Bodea
Jan 29, 2014 Bodea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This author gets me. I will read anything she writes at least once. Keep it coming.
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
I wanted to read Red at Night because I have really enjoyed everything by Katie McGarry and wanted to know what would make two teenagers hang out in cemeteries.

Stella has a rough upbringing and she finds comfort in being there, where no one makes fun of her.When Jonah appears day after day at the cemetery where she frequents, they both are curious about each other. I can't imagine the bullying and how Stella must feel to rather be around the dead. Also the pain that Jonah feels, the guilt, an
I hated this book. I have made it through almost twenty-five years of living without ever REALLY crying over a book. This book killed that streak. Ugly crying and tissues were involved. But, aside from that, I actually LOVED this book.

Katie McGarry never ceases to amaze me. Her books are always so emotional and heart touching. She really knows how to latch on to her readers emotions and draw them into her stories and Red at Night is no exception.

Although this is a short novella, it reads like an
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Red at Night is another highly enjoyable story by Katie McGarry, with a great message at its core. The Pushing the Limits series has characters that come from all walks of life - whether it's foster kids, a girl from a troubled home, or a guy and girl who seemingly come from the perfect family. In Red at Night, Stella is the kooky girl at school who hangs out at the cemetery because it provides the only constant in her tumultuous life. She's been bounced around a lot, her father flitting in and ...more
Iulia
Книжку скачала бесплатно с Амазона =)

По сравнению с Allegiant, этот рассказ ушёл на ура. Я наконец-то вспомнила, что такое "интересно читать".

Нравится мне Кэти Макгэрри правдоподобностью своих произведений. Пусть и не очень привлекательная, но реальная жизнь, где не у всех есть возможности, и остаётся только лёгкая надежда на то, что когда-нибудь всё может быть пусть и не замечательно, но сносно или даже хорошо.

Из персонажей больше всего смутил меня Джона. Никак не могла понять, что же такого он
Jaime Arkin
Beautiful story... Beautiful words.

First I have to thank the lovely Liza for pushing me to read this one. Her review hits on all the reasons you should read this short story.

As I've come to expect of her, McGarry does an amazing job and the catch to this is that this is a novella length story. Which makes it harder for an author to grab you and get you interested, but she most certainly does that with Jonah and Stella.

My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough!

Fans of McGarry will defini
Booknut
'I run my fingers along the bindings of the books and pause when a single red rose clutched in a fist pops through the shelving space less than foot in front of me.

"Hey, Stella." The voice is faux high-pitched, but I'd recognize Jonah anywhere.

I cock a hip to the side and cross my arms over my chest, glaring at the 'talking' rose. "What?"
"Jonah's sorry." The rose moves from side to side to mimic a puppet talking.

(...)When I make no effort to move or talk, Jonah places the flower on the shelf. "I
Lex (Fastidious Reader)
I have pre-ordered this book for free back when I saw it months ago. This was my first book of Katie McGarry and I must say that I quite liked it. Also! This is my first book after NOT reading for almost two months, I think. Great way to end my reading slump!

People do change. It may be a good or bad trigger of change but they do. It may be for the better or for worse, no one could tell. But they do change. Change is the only thing that is constant.

Thank you, Katie for such a good story. :) the
Leslye
This is a story that buckled under the weight of its premise. It was simply too much to cover in the short space. At one point I thought a chapter was missing from my ebook because it seemed like we were building towards a big reveal from Jonah that sort of just fizzled. I'm not even sure I understand what happened with him-it was a lot of emotional turmoil with no payoff. Plus we get some awkward time jumps in which we're told the relationship between Stella and Jonah develops, but we don't see ...more
Weekly Romance: 6/1 (Sunday Quick Read) - Red at Night by Katie McGarry 4 6 Jun 01, 2014 10:20AM
  • You Are Here
  • The Blue-Haired Boy (Faking Normal #0.5)
  • Gilded Ashes (Cruel Beauty Universe)
  • Fifty First Times: A New Adult Anthology
  • Inspire
  • Someday Maybe (Definitely Maybe, #2)
  • Whatever Life Throws at You
  • Where You'll Find Me
  • Pieces of Olivia (Charleston Haven, #1)
  • Blonde Date (The Ivy Years, #2.5)
  • This Night So Dark (Starbound, #1.5)
  • Perfect Kind of Trouble (Finding Fate, #2)
  • In Her Wake (Ten Tiny Breaths, #0.5)
  • Storm and Stone (Struck, #1)
  • Swimming to Tokyo
  • Redemption (The Captive, #5)
  • The Lonesome Young
  • Searching for Beautiful
KATIE MCGARRY was a teenager during the age of grunge and boy bands and remembers those years as the best and worst of her life. She is a lover of music, happy endings, and reality television, and is a secret University of Kentucky basketball fan.

Katie would love to hear from her readers. Contact her via her website, katielmcgarry.com, follow her on Twitter @KatieMcGarry, or become a fan on Facebo
More about Katie McGarry...
Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2) Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3) Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits, #1.1) Take Me On (Pushing the Limits, #4)

“Do you think people can change?" I ask Rick
"Yes." he answers plainly. "There are those who can."
That grabs my attention. "So you believe it's possible?"
"Miss Stella."He gives me his teacher-to-pupil stare. "Its boils down to choice.”
4 likes
“For a few seconds, I want to know what it’s like not to settle or dream, but to live. To be the girl who’s cared for, to be the girl who’s cherished, to be the girl who’s kissed.” 4 likes