Start by marking “Visionary in Residence: Stories” as Want to Read:
Visionary in Residence: Stories

Visionary in Residence: Stories

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  15 reviews
I'm a science fiction writer. This is a golden opportunity to get up to most any mischief imaginable. With this fourth collection of my stories, I'm going to prove this to you. With these words, Bruce Sterling—author of New York times Notable Books of the Year and one of the great names in contemporary fiction—introduces his latest collection of thirteen tales. If you're f ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Running Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Visionary in Residence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visionary in Residence

Michael K.
Bruce is one of those authors I always approach hesitantly. When he’s good, he’s very good, but when he’s not, he’s . . . well, not terrible, but certainly uninteresting. That goes for both his novels and his short stories. As I’ve noted elsewhere, he’s a kick to listen to in person at a con, but his ideas and enthusiasms and social concerns don’t always translate well into print. This collection of thirteen stories which first appeared in the past five or six years is divided thematically -- “F ...more
MB Taylor
Finished reading Visionary in Residence (2008) by Bruce Sterling yesterday, a collection of 13 short stories by “one of the founders of the cyberpunk movement” (according to Wikipedia) Well, strictly speaking 2 of the stories are collaborations; one with Rudy Rucker and one with Paul Di Filippo.

It’s a pretty good collection, with a fair number of SF sub genera. Sterling has arranged the stories into 8 categories: Science Fiction (1 story); Fiction about Science (1); Fiction for Scientists (3 ve
Jay Daze
Okay, first just ignore the wrapping this book comes in. I can accept 'Visionary in Residence' but the "13 NEW STORIES FROM THE LEATHER-JACKETED HIGH DRUID OF CYBERPUNK" is just embarrassing. If I was Sterling I'd be burning my dorky leather jacket and hunting down whoever put that on the back of my book. Okay...

I quite liked this collection there are some pieces that are just... pieces and not really stories, a few exercises, but there is 'User-Centric' which is Sterling working at his best, an
Daniel
I tend to rate Bruce Sterling as one of my favorite authors because he has a very unique voice ... something lacking in much sci-fi/fantasy (in my opinion). I know that when I pick up a Sterling book, it will be unlike anything else out there.

And of course it's no secret that I really enjoy short fiction. A short story or a one act play are personal favorites. To tell a story, efficiently and succinctly, is a challenge, and I enjoy being the voyeur into these efforts.

WIth that out, I must say th
Will
It's a collection of short stories, mostly written on spec for magazines. Some of them are okay. Most of them are not.

It's not news when an older man runs away with a kid from another country. It's not a story when a cute technology turns out to have unanticipated consequences. And it's not particularly interesting when pop culture references are dropped into the middle of a story, except that it dates the story. There are drop-in references to Friendster, for God's sake.

This is the first time
Joseph Method
Bruce Sterling has a steady hand when it comes to short stories (his novels tend to spin apart, possibly on purpose). None of these stories floored me but each was an interesting little meditation. One story collaboration with Paul DiFillipo, "The Scab's Progress", bothered me with its plot about soulless posthuman African "natives". The last two stories in the collection show Sterling really stretching himself: one is a love story set during the Crusades and the other set in an Ottoman village ...more
Mike
“The Leather-Jacketed High Druid of Cyberpunk.” That’s what is written on the back of the book… so I picked it up. I was a little disappointed.
This book is a collection of his short stories; I like short stories when I’m investigating an author that I’ve never read before, because… if you don’t like the current story, you can skip it and go to the next. I skipped a lot of the stories. What I did finish, however, I liked a lot, so it wasn’t a complete waste.
I’d read something else by Sterling.
Fresno Bob
good collection of stories
Branwen
Bruce Sterling shows that he truly is a visionary in this collection of short stories. Whether focussed on the present -- e.g, Code -- the future -- e.g., The Scab's Progress or the past -- The Blemmye's Stratagem -- Sterling shows an acute deftness in narrative and worldbuilding, telling compelling stories in worlds that complement but do not eclipse the narrative. Truly a gem.
Doc Kinne
This probably rated a 2.5. In the end I have to agree with the reviewer that said that these pieces were written for spec, and largely that's the way they read.

Mildly entertaining, but there are no ideas here that will cause you to really pause.
Mike
Some lousy stories but some good ones too. The Rudy Rucker and Paul Di Fillipo collaborations are worth the price of admission alone.
Lord Humungus
Lots of great Sterling stories, sometimes very imaginative, other times surprisingly charming. Great stuff.
Thermopyle
Not uniformly excellent, but the better stories make the whole book worthwhile.
Falbs
A couple of weak stories, but overall, definitely a great read.
Caleb
Dec 26, 2007 Caleb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love Gibson
As in Neuromancer
Tshiung Han See
Tshiung Han See marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Aidolon
Aidolon marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Alcuin
Alcuin marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Herge2014
Herge2014 marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Kris
Kris added it
Oct 04, 2014
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Ezri
Ezri marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American Culture on the Brink
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • Sunfall
  • Toast
  • TechGnosis: Myth, Magic & Mysticism in the Age of Information
  • A User's Guide to the Millennium: Essays and Reviews
  • Death's Head Rebellion (War World, #2)
  • Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories
  • A Place So Foreign and Eight More
  • The Long Night
  • Cyberabad Days
  • The John Varley Reader
  • The Virago Book of Fairy Tales
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • Back in the USSA
  • Nano Comes to Clifford Falls: And Other Stories
  • The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...
Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology Islands in the Net Schismatrix Plus Heavy Weather The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier