Start by marking “Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!” as Want to Read:
Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!

Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  934 ratings  ·  102 reviews
In the tradition of her bestseller, Finding Your Own North Star, Oprah Magazine columnist Martha Beck reconnects readers with their best destinies.

Described as one of the best-known life coaches in America in media such as Psychology Today, NPR, and USA Today, Martha Beck has demonstrated a rare gift for helping people whose lives have gone off course find their way back t
Published March 18th 2008 by Rodale Press

To ask other readers questions about Steering by Starlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steering by Starlight

Carolyn Hill
I love Martha Beck. Besides being an enviably wise woman, she's very funny. If I could hire a life coach, I'd want her. Though some of the material in this book is not really new, she presents it in her own fresh way. Like many, she advocates visualization meditations and she is indebted to the work of Byron Katie and others, but her explanations and illustrations with her own clients, as well as her own life, and her humorous and unique perspective make the examination of one's psyche less daun ...more
Chris Blocker
Oct 10, 2011 Chris Blocker added it
Recommended to Chris by: Hoolie
I'm not much for “self-help.” It's not my passion; because of this, I rarely buy into it. If the girl on the cover really knows what it takes to be a millionaire, why isn't she one? And if that guy is truly happy, why does he hide behind the face of an action figure? Wait, that isn't plastic, that is his face!!! All kidding aside, it's just not my thing. Enter Martha Beck.

Martha Beck has come with high recommendations for years. Her angle, paraphrased: “You probably aren't doing what you want to
Kate LeDonne
Another fabulous book by Martha Beck. Through each stage in life, sometimes you have to correct to get back on course, and this one along with "Finding Your Own North Star" are wonderful books to remind you of yourself, what you really think, and where you really want to go. These books help one to hear oneself over the din of other people's opinions of who and what they want you to do and be. Thanks Martha!
Victoria
I listened to this book on my conmute and I liked it a lot. It has a very structured approach to working through your ego and connecting to your Higher Self in a very workable format (at least for my brain). The metaphor of the Stargazer is very symbolic and helps to keep the focus on the Higher Self... The second chapter on the Reptilian Brain brought a lot of light into my primal fears...

It is definitely a book to "work through", not a book to just read... the information without the exercises
KC Anton
I skimmed this one as a comparison for my own work interest. She is coach of more then a decade. She works from a very "scientific method" mode; if the five senses are not involved neither is she.

Starting here she moves into talking about things like "abundance,""manifestation,""intuition" with out using any of these words. So it is informative and wordy at times due to not wanting to use any spiritual key words to thus sound more business-like.

Her methods and techniques are very good for open
Ileana
One of the best self-help books I have ever read. Martha Beck is such an amazing writer and life coach. She does not disappoint with this gem. Lots of practical advice on how to steer your life by starlight.

"If you move toward freedom by saying and doing what is most honest for you, the result may be a beautiful, magnificent life of petting the dog, waiting tables, getting your teeth cleaned. This can be mind-bogglingly wonderful. "ordinariness," which our culture tends to see as disappointing,
Sharon
Wow.

Just ... wow.

This is by far one of the most helpful coaching books I have read. Sociologist Martha Beck, with her characteristic good humor, provides more insight and advice on how to get to your life purpose. She clearly explains the importance of the work, and how to recognize when you're on the right path.

I laughed, I cried, I recognized myself in the pages. Suffice it to say that I found this book so profound that I wrote a thank-you note to Dr. Beck when I finished it. I will be using
JayeL
I wasn't able to finish this book. I think it is an interesting book, but I have too much self help on my hands right now and can't focus on the exercises the way I would like to. I am not a self help book reading kind of person, so in some ways I can't believe I even attempted to read it. I think that there are some excellent exercises. They seem to be easy, but when I tried them, they were harder than I thought.
Katherine
I got a lot out of Steering by Starlight. It made me feel that my inner impulses are important, that I have them for a reason, and that the way to reach my potential is to follow my intuition instead of what others say I should do (or what those negative voices in my head say I should do). A very supportive book for those who are trying to move forward in their lives.
Nerissa Nields
This is, up to now, my favorite of Martha's books. She trained me as a life coach, and I think she is brilliant and hilarious. I have read almost all of her books. I am reading her latest, Wild New World, right now, and I like it even better than this one. Full of practical wisdom and steps to take to master your thoughts and change your life.
Patti Post
This is an inspiring and truly helpful book full of insight, humour and new skills to help anyone navigate their way in this challenging journey of living every day. It broadened my awareness and made me look at things in a new way, or rather in a way I'd always known about but hadn't trusted enough.
Sharon
The premise is good, but she lost me. Towards the middle I wanted to be done with the book, then towards the end it is all about her. So, I still don't know what to do with my life!
Kristen
You know that tingle of inspiration that warms you from the inside out when you read something AMAZING? Get ready to feel it throughout this entire book.
Betsy
Feb 07, 2009 Betsy added it
An invaluable companion to Finding Your Own North Star.
laurie
Ms. Beck writes clearly and with a hilarious, sassy tone.

She certainly has credibility (3 Harvard degrees). I love how she lets the reader in to the Harvard viewpoint (unofficial motto: 'If you're not smart, just kill yourself.') How she courageously shifted perspective for what she was supposed to be doing with her Harvard degrees; very aware of how she was being perceived as a self-help writer by her Harvard colleagues: in their estimation, '...about six rungs lower...than a pole dancer.'

I en
Joan
This book offers a toolbox of various techniques for looking at the world and more specifically at your own corner of it and how you want to move forward. I've had her other book about the North Star on my shelf for a while and have never got past the first chapter, perhaps only the intro, which is about Dante and some tough patches in his life. However, this book was a CD and I was on a road trip, so I persevered. The format precluded the homework/exercises part of the book, although I did stop ...more
Rachel
I adore Martha Beck. She is smart (so smart) and realistic. This book doesn't say anything I haven't heard, yet it is presented in a way that is memorable for me, or speaks to me. Which means, I'll likely use the tools. Sweet!
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Martha's voice snagged me as I skimmed through an Oprah magazine in a waiting room several months ago. Her humor, intellect and sensible approach to life permeate her writing. I was hooked.

I borrowed this title from my library system and worked through the journaling with a large dollop of skepticism. But again and again her matter of fact, simple (not easy) methods for moving toward my "north star" made sense. Her passing observation about the "empty elevator" rang so true it brought me up sho
Diane Patterson
I love Martha Beck's voice and her books, and this one is no exception. I always find some nugget in her writing that I can take away and apply to my own life.
Adam
Loved it. Great writing. Very personal and impactful. I've even gone back through to read certain passages, and my notes, which I don't often do. Recommended!
Henri Junttila
If you need a roadmap for following your calling, read this book. If you're confused, read this. Who knew Martha Beck had so many insights to share? I didn't. Maybe you did. Or maybe you're about to find out.
MountainShelby
Audio version. I like Martha's work, but this book was a bit too fey for me, with too many topics. There were a few bits of useful information, but I wanted more and focused practical information. Then again from the title, what did I expect...
Dorothy Sander
Excellent follow-up to North Star. Offers a broader, deeper view of same topic.
Beth
Excellent book, and incredibly helpful in helping you find your way at times when you doubt yourself.
Daemonzeiro
For some reason...this was the only thing I could read on the stair master. I couldn't read a good book, i couldn't read a bad book, I had to, and could only, read this. And I read the whole thing. Pretty sure it's the only self-help book I've ever read. Maybe I can only read self-help books while helping my self physically? If you have this same problem with being incapable of reading self help books I strongly suggest using a stair master.
John Stepper
"I have to warn you," said the woman who recommended this person to me. "It's a little woo-woo."

I should not have liked this book. It's mystical and tries to be funny and there aren't nearly enough footnotes and ... I loved it.

The ideas, the stories, the writing style. Excellent. In addition to being a joy to read, the book changed how I think which is perhaps the highest praise I can give.
Lisa
This book was waiting for me in the local bookstore's bargain bin (because it had some damaged pages). After it sat patiently on my shelf for a number of years I finally picked it up one day and couldn't put it down. For me, a life-changer. I have already incorporated some of the meditations and exercises into my life and I will recommend it highly to friends who are open to transformation.
Kate
Sep 08, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Spirit Seekers
Shelves: coaching, self-help
Martha Beck has a great sense of humor and some really valuable advice about getting in touch with the parts of ourselves that we have essentially squelched. I found Finding Your Own North Star to be a more useful book in terms of figuring out what I wanted to do with my life, but Steering has some good points to keep in mind about fear, making change and being true to yourself. I'd recommend it.
Meg
I probably wouldn't have read this book if a good friend hadn't recommended it, but I'm not sorry I did. She takes a lot of what I recognize as buddhist teachings and practice and adapts them to the life coaching paradigm. She kind of "Oprah-cizes" it but without getting too maudlin. She came across as smart and funny, and I do find myself using some of the visualizations she creates.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Dec 18, 2013 Shellie (Layers of Thought) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: some one looking for guidance on which path to take in life
This audio book was easy to listen to and gave some good advice on how to find a true path in life. The author is a graduate from Harvard and has turned to "life coaching". She takes the reader on a path which is a bit mystical, and has included some fun exercises, examples, and quotes to support her beliefs. All to help the reader on his/her path.
  • Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life
  • Change Your Life Without Getting Out of Bed: The Ultimate Nap Book
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life
  • The Woman's Comfort Book
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion
  • A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life
  • Stalking the Divine
  • To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You
Martha Beck is a writer and "life coach" who specializes in helping people design satisfying and meaningful life experiences. She holds a bachelor's degree in East Asian Studies and master's and Ph.D. degrees in sociology, all from Harvard University.

She worked as a research associate at Harvard Business School, studying career paths and life-course changes in today's economic and social environme
More about Martha N. Beck...
Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live Leaving the Saints: How I Lost the Mormons and Found My Faith The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier Life Finding Your Way in a Wild New World: Reclaim Your True Nature to Create the Life You Want