Start by marking “Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!” as Want to Read:
Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!

Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,109 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
In the tradition of her bestseller, Finding Your Own North Star, Oprah Magazine columnist Martha Beck reconnects readers with their best destinies.

Described as one of the best-known life coaches in America in media such as Psychology Today, NPR, and USA Today, Martha Beck has demonstrated a rare gift for helping people whose lives have gone off course find their way back t
Published March 18th 2008 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Steering by Starlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steering by Starlight

Carolyn Hill
Apr 14, 2010 Carolyn Hill rated it really liked it
I love Martha Beck. Besides being an enviably wise woman, she's very funny. If I could hire a life coach, I'd want her. Though some of the material in this book is not really new, she presents it in her own fresh way. Like many, she advocates visualization meditations and she is indebted to the work of Byron Katie and others, but her explanations and illustrations with her own clients, as well as her own life, and her humorous and unique perspective make the examination of one's psyche less daun ...more
Chris Blocker
Oct 10, 2011 Chris Blocker added it
Recommended to Chris by: Hoolie
I'm not much for “self-help.” It's not my passion; because of this, I rarely buy into it. If the girl on the cover really knows what it takes to be a millionaire, why isn't she one? And if that guy is truly happy, why does he hide behind the face of an action figure? Wait, that isn't plastic, that is his face!!! All kidding aside, it's just not my thing. Enter Martha Beck.

Martha Beck has come with high recommendations for years. Her angle, paraphrased: “You probably aren't doing what you want to
Kate Black
Apr 13, 2012 Kate Black rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous book by Martha Beck. Through each stage in life, sometimes you have to correct to get back on course, and this one along with "Finding Your Own North Star" are wonderful books to remind you of yourself, what you really think, and where you really want to go. These books help one to hear oneself over the din of other people's opinions of who and what they want you to do and be. Thanks Martha!
Victoria
Nov 21, 2009 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on my conmute and I liked it a lot. It has a very structured approach to working through your ego and connecting to your Higher Self in a very workable format (at least for my brain). The metaphor of the Stargazer is very symbolic and helps to keep the focus on the Higher Self... The second chapter on the Reptilian Brain brought a lot of light into my primal fears...

It is definitely a book to "work through", not a book to just read... the information without the exercises
KC Anton
I skimmed this one as a comparison for my own work interest. She is coach of more then a decade. She works from a very "scientific method" mode; if the five senses are not involved neither is she.

Starting here she moves into talking about things like "abundance,""manifestation,""intuition" with out using any of these words. So it is informative and wordy at times due to not wanting to use any spiritual key words to thus sound more business-like.

Her methods and techniques are very good for open
Ileana
Feb 21, 2010 Ileana rated it it was amazing
One of the best self-help books I have ever read. Martha Beck is such an amazing writer and life coach. She does not disappoint with this gem. Lots of practical advice on how to steer your life by starlight.

"If you move toward freedom by saying and doing what is most honest for you, the result may be a beautiful, magnificent life of petting the dog, waiting tables, getting your teeth cleaned. This can be mind-bogglingly wonderful. "ordinariness," which our culture tends to see as disappointing,
Sharon
Nov 05, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Wow.

Just ... wow.

This is by far one of the most helpful coaching books I have read. Sociologist Martha Beck, with her characteristic good humor, provides more insight and advice on how to get to your life purpose. She clearly explains the importance of the work, and how to recognize when you're on the right path.

I laughed, I cried, I recognized myself in the pages. Suffice it to say that I found this book so profound that I wrote a thank-you note to Dr. Beck when I finished it. I will be using
Cal
Mar 27, 2015 Cal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
SUCH A GOOD BOOK. I can't recommend it enough. If I had picked up this book a couple years ago, I would have been incredibly skeptical of the whole notion of extreme coincidence... but last year I was subjected to a week of increasingly unlikely coincidences for which there was no real explanation, but the repercussions of that week follow me very closely to the present moment. It was the first time in my life that I ever felt like there was at least a 20% chance that I was dreaming despite the ...more
JayeL
Jun 21, 2008 JayeL rated it liked it
I wasn't able to finish this book. I think it is an interesting book, but I have too much self help on my hands right now and can't focus on the exercises the way I would like to. I am not a self help book reading kind of person, so in some ways I can't believe I even attempted to read it. I think that there are some excellent exercises. They seem to be easy, but when I tried them, they were harder than I thought.
Katherine
Sep 08, 2011 Katherine rated it it was amazing
I got a lot out of Steering by Starlight. It made me feel that my inner impulses are important, that I have them for a reason, and that the way to reach my potential is to follow my intuition instead of what others say I should do (or what those negative voices in my head say I should do). A very supportive book for those who are trying to move forward in their lives.
Nerissa Nields
Jul 05, 2013 Nerissa Nields rated it really liked it
This is, up to now, my favorite of Martha's books. She trained me as a life coach, and I think she is brilliant and hilarious. I have read almost all of her books. I am reading her latest, Wild New World, right now, and I like it even better than this one. Full of practical wisdom and steps to take to master your thoughts and change your life.
Patti Post
Oct 09, 2012 Patti Post rated it it was amazing
This is an inspiring and truly helpful book full of insight, humour and new skills to help anyone navigate their way in this challenging journey of living every day. It broadened my awareness and made me look at things in a new way, or rather in a way I'd always known about but hadn't trusted enough.
Sharon
Sep 15, 2011 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise is good, but she lost me. Towards the middle I wanted to be done with the book, then towards the end it is all about her. So, I still don't know what to do with my life!
Kristen
Mar 09, 2010 Kristen rated it it was amazing
You know that tingle of inspiration that warms you from the inside out when you read something AMAZING? Get ready to feel it throughout this entire book.
Betsy
Feb 07, 2009 Betsy added it
An invaluable companion to Finding Your Own North Star.
Shalla
Jul 27, 2015 Shalla rated it it was amazing
i read this book years ago and is the first that comes to mind when someone i care about is suffering

the concepts inside are easy to grasp and relate to without being complexly written or over the heads of the normal reader

as with any self help style of book you have to figure out what works for you and to try to avoid rejecting an idea simply because you hurt when reading something...

sometimes the pain is not suffering but validation that someone understands you

give it a read and see how it mov
laurie
May 22, 2013 laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Beck writes clearly and with a hilarious, sassy tone.

She certainly has credibility (3 Harvard degrees). I love how she lets the reader in to the Harvard viewpoint (unofficial motto: 'If you're not smart, just kill yourself.') How she courageously shifted perspective for what she was supposed to be doing with her Harvard degrees; very aware of how she was being perceived as a self-help writer by her Harvard colleagues: in their estimation, '...about six rungs lower...than a pole dancer.'

I en
Joan
May 28, 2011 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book offers a toolbox of various techniques for looking at the world and more specifically at your own corner of it and how you want to move forward. I've had her other book about the North Star on my shelf for a while and have never got past the first chapter, perhaps only the intro, which is about Dante and some tough patches in his life. However, this book was a CD and I was on a road trip, so I persevered. The format precluded the homework/exercises part of the book, although I did stop ...more
Rachel
Jun 20, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
I adore Martha Beck. She is smart (so smart) and realistic. This book doesn't say anything I haven't heard, yet it is presented in a way that is memorable for me, or speaks to me. Which means, I'll likely use the tools. Sweet!
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Jun 27, 2013 Rebecca Waring-Crane rated it really liked it
Martha's voice snagged me as I skimmed through an Oprah magazine in a waiting room several months ago. Her humor, intellect and sensible approach to life permeate her writing. I was hooked.

I borrowed this title from my library system and worked through the journaling with a large dollop of skepticism. But again and again her matter of fact, simple (not easy) methods for moving toward my "north star" made sense. Her passing observation about the "empty elevator" rang so true it brought me up sho
Diane Patterson
Dec 08, 2014 Diane Patterson rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration, coaching
I love Martha Beck's voice and her books, and this one is no exception. I always find some nugget in her writing that I can take away and apply to my own life.
Adam
Nov 01, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Great writing. Very personal and impactful. I've even gone back through to read certain passages, and my notes, which I don't often do. Recommended!
Henri Junttila
May 08, 2014 Henri Junttila rated it it was amazing
If you need a roadmap for following your calling, read this book. If you're confused, read this. Who knew Martha Beck had so many insights to share? I didn't. Maybe you did. Or maybe you're about to find out.
Susan Faith
Sep 23, 2015 Susan Faith rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. I come back to it again and again. I use the concept of shackles on/shackles off daily.
Specialk
Feb 01, 2015 Specialk rated it it was ok
Absolutely adore Beck's sense of humour. But this all feels like hokum. I can see where some would find the value, but it's not for me. Guess I don't believe in magic.
Christy
Jan 27, 2016 Christy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like Martha Beck's articles. Why couldn't I get into this? A little too woo-woo.
Allison
May 19, 2015 Allison rated it really liked it
I liked the recommendations in this book so much that I bought a copy for myself (and returned the dog-eared one to the library . . . on time). Beck writes some really valuable life advice in here, tainted only by her choice of what I'll term "flowery" language. (The title alone offers a good idea of the sort of terminology readers will encounter.) I'd recommend this book to anyone who feels rudderless. It certainly can't hurt.
Sarah "Kat"
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life
  • The Woman's Comfort Book
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions To Guide You To An Extraordinary Life
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Stalking the Divine
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
I grew up wanting to be an ecologist or a professor. However, after bearing three children while acquiring three Harvard degrees, I decided I’d rather just lie down for a few decades. During that time I became an author and life coach. My books include Expecting Adam, Leaving the Saints, Finding Your Own North Star, The Joy Diet, Steering By Starlight, Finding Your Way in Wild New World, and The M ...more
More about Martha N. Beck...

“The poet Mary Oliver did this in one of her poems, brazenly asking, “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” If you’re afraid you’ve come to this question too late, you are wrong. Ask your Stargazer self. It will tell you what my fallen-noble friend Marianna told me in one of my darker hours: that the world is re-created in every instant of time, and this moment is always your life’s beginning. No matter how many years have been stolen from you by your own ignorance, by cruel fate, or by the acts of others, you have a clean, broad slate before you. In this instant—this one now—you can begin steering by starlight, and if you do, the rest of creation will conspire to guide, teach, and help you.” 0 likes
“Laughter is the highest form of prayer.” 0 likes