Start by marking “Dictionary of Accepted Ideas” as Want to Read:
Dictionary of Accepted Ideas

Dictionary of Accepted Ideas

Throughout his life Flaubert made it a game to eavesdrop for the cliché, the platitude, the borrowed and unquestioned idea with which the “right thinking” swaddle their minds. After his death his little treasury of absurdities, of half-truths and social lies, was published as a Dictionnaire des idées reçues. Because its devastating humor and irony are often dependent on th ...more
Published January 17th 1968 by New Directions (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Dictionary of Accepted Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dictionary of Accepted Ideas

s.penkevich
Oct 06, 2012 s.penkevich rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Philistines
To dissect is a form of revenge
-Gustave Flaubert in a letter to George Sand

Flaubert’s Dictionary of Accepted Ideas is an ironic, witty, and outright humorous satire on the minds and manners of the everyday man, the philistines, as Flaubert would call them, that move within a higher society. Alphabetized within its pages are a wide variety of objects, ideas and people with a clichéd definition highlighting the ‘accepted’ opinions on them and instructions as to how to utilize such ideas to give
Lori
Jun 05, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it
Lori Ellison: The New Dictionary of Received Ideas

My Notes|Notes about Me|Lori's Profile
The New Dictionary of Received IdeasShare
Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 9:47pm | Edit Note | Delete
This is a stub, feel free to add. I've caught myself at some of these so it is for all of us. I am working on this in the spirit of Flaubert's from his particular take on his milieu in the 19th c in France from ours in the turn of the millenium here in New York.

Asperger's Syndrome: Nearly everyone mathematically or
Manny
Flaubert, Gustave. Say he was a genius, but some of his books are more accessible than others. Mention the ending of Madame Bovary.

Idées reçues, dictionnaire des. Praise it as incredibly funny and insightful. Ignore the hundreds of entries that aren't the least bit amusing.
Teri Zuckerman
Jan 26, 2008 Teri Zuckerman rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly one of my favourite books ever.
Virginia
Nov 21, 2014 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, 2015
Grande Flaubert, grandissimo.
Me lo immagino lí, con l'orticaria alle orecchie per i fastidiosi discorsi, seduto a una poltroncina mentre Madama X parla con Madama Bla. L'unico modo di alterare questo stato é scaricare tutto su una penna, su fogli, e trasformare una cosa insopportabile in una cosa divertente.

E ha tutta la mia comprensione, dal momento che ho sempre odiato tutto ció che deve essere fatto, detto, amato, odiato. Sará che io non so essere molto mainstream, sará che io non so essere u
Mariana Orantes
Dec 17, 2012 Mariana Orantes rated it it was amazing
Divertidísimo y esencial libro. Sirve para poner en jaque las ideas preconcebidas que uno suele tener de las cosas comunes y que suelta en pláticas sin más ni más. Todos tenemos algo así y hemos dicho cosas similares. Claro, también sirve para dejarnos ver el pensamiento de la época y como, sobre esos lugares comunes, también puede construirse o más bien, se construye la base de la literatura misma. Además, nos pone en evidencia: siempre hemos pensado más o menos lo mismo, siempre terminamos con ...more
Kaleb Horton
Jun 21, 2015 Kaleb Horton rated it liked it
Cute. Snide definitions of cliches. Not as good as Devil's Dictionary, which is the high water mark for that sort of thing. Written in the 1870s. Translated by Jacques Barzun. Apparently it was a huge pain in the ass to translate. Probably not worth all the work. Hope it paid alright.
Geoff Cain
Mar 22, 2008 Geoff Cain rated it it was amazing
I curse Jonathan for getting me into this! He sent me one of his cryptic messages one morning -- it was something about the deleterious effects of Tullamore Dew on the LeGare constitution and how he needed the hair of the dog and some Ambrose Bierce or Flaubert's Dictionary of Accepted Ideas. So I hadn't heard of the latter so I went out and found Barzun's annotated translation and then on another day I was at the University Bookstore in Seattle and found the novel that it was originally part of ...more
Thomas
May 08, 2012 Thomas rated it really liked it
Le bourgeois est l'ennemi du XIXème siècle après avoir été le héros du XVIIIème.
Flaubert et son génie ajoute sa pierre à la haine générale. Très effacé dans Madame Bovary, il utilise ici un style peut être moins célèbre mais beaucoup plus mordant.
Sorte de petite liste alphabétique des banalités bourgeoises de son temps, le Dictionnaire des idées reçues est tout autant un vrai bijou d'ironie qu'une vision critique et éclairée d'une chose que l'on connaît assez peu : les conversations bourgeoise
Stephen Lindow
Oct 03, 2013 Stephen Lindow rated it liked it
BODY. If we knew how our body is made, we wouldn't dare move

CELEBRITIES. Concern yourself about the least details of their private lives, so that you can run them down

CHAMPAGNE. . . .pretend to despise it, saying: 'It's not really a wine.' Arouses the enthusiasm of petty folk

CHEESE. Quote Brillat-Savarin's maxim: 'Dessert without cheese is like a beauty with only one eye.'

DREAMS. Any great ideas one does not understand

PAGANINI. Never tuned his violin. Famous for his long fingers

POET. Pompous syn
Eleclyah

• ACHILLE
Aggiungere "dal piè veloce"; fa credere che si abbia letto Omero.
• BIANCHERIA
Non se ne fa mai vedere abbastanza.
• IMMORALITÀ'
Questa parola pronunciata bene valorizza chi la usa.
• PARTO
Parola da evitare: sostituire con "evento". "Per quando è atteso il lieto evento?"

Scritto in pieno Ottocento ma ancora attuale.
Dà da pensare, n'est ce pas?
Josipa
Nov 17, 2012 Josipa rated it really liked it
Zanimljivo štivo.
Neke od najboljih natuknica:
1. Instinkt - Nadomješta inteligenciju.
2. Književnost - Zanimanje besposličara.
3. Optimist - Isto što i idiot.
4. Pjesnik - Otmjen sinonim za sanjara i šmokljana.
Alexandra
Nov 15, 2014 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Ideile regasite in carte m-au ajutat in multe conversatii
Jono Balliett
Sep 27, 2008 Jono Balliett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
literature: an occupation for idlers.
Matthew
Apr 24, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
Flaubert's mock-dictionary into which he poured the contrived opinions of the fin de siècle uppercrust.
If that synopsis didn't tip you off, it's possibly the most pretentious thing I've ever read. Nevertheless, it's undoubtedly a joy to read.

AMERICA: Fine example of injustice: Columbus discovered it and it is named after Amerigo Vespucci. If it weren't for the discovery of America, we shouldn't have syphilis and Phylloxera. Praise it all the same, especially if you've never been there. Expatiate
Michael
Dec 23, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jennifer F
Very funny, very odd dictionary of cliches and banalities as uttered by French people in the late 19th Century. It's fun to get a sense of Flaubert's curmudgeonly persona, and kind of wild to think about what passed for political banalities among people for whom Napoleon's career was not so long ago, for whom the revolutions of 1848 were vivid in living memory, and for whom the crushing debacle of the Franco-Prussian War was a current event.

Екатерина
"Речник на готовите истини" - в него под формата на речник, Флобер се надсмива над утвърдените клишета и възприети като ценни фрази или разбирания за времето си - втората половина на 19 в. Той го пише почти през целия си живот и смята да бъде като допълнение за неговия роман "Бувар и Пекюше", останал също недовършен. От този речник могат да се видят нагласи и картини на тогавашното общество и на живота изобщо.
Забавно четиво.
Melanie
Mar 13, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He wrote to Louise Colet in 1852: "No law could attack me, though I should attack everything. It would be the justification of Whatever is, is right. I should sacrifice the great men to all the nitwits, the martyrs to all the executioners, and do it in a style carried to the wildest pitch—fireworks... After reading the book, one would be afraid to talk, for fear of using one of the phrases in it."
Indalecio
Jan 05, 2012 Indalecio rated it it was amazing
We're bound to find ourselves in this book, as we are biased by culture, and this is what is all about. A dictionary of "common sense" ideas that people often (if not always) use, but have no real idea of what they're talking about...
Would be a great idea to rethink what's been imposed by culture, and (re)elaborate our own ideas.
Nera
Feb 19, 2013 Nera rated it liked it
Ironijski osvrt na klišeiziranu dimenziju Francuskog buržoaskog društva kroz pojmovnik kontekstualiziranih riječi u svakodnevnoj frekventnoj upotrebi. Svjedočanstvo o tome kako jezik u svom sinhronijskom presjeku nosi dijahronijsku dimenziju u smislu tragova prošlosti, historijskog konteksta prisutnog u riječi.
Mays
Jul 06, 2014 Mays rated it really liked it
Shelves: french, non-fiction
Very funny. Some of my favorites include:

CAFE
Donne de l'esprit. N'est bon que venant du Havre.
-Dans un grand dîner, doit se prendre debout.
-L'avaler sans sucre - très chic, et donne l'air d'avoir vécu en Orient.

ERECTION
Ne se dit qu'en parlant des monuments.

FARD
Abîme la peau.

IMBECILES
Ceux qui ne pensent pas comme vous.

INDOLENCE
Résultat des pays chauds.
BGP
Dec 28, 2010 BGP rated it liked it
DICTIONARY OF ACCEPTED IDEAS: Flaubert's Devil's Dictionary, a mildly entertaining frivolity which displays a great deal of irreverence through the affectation of sycophancy. There's "[n]o need to have one single precise notion about it: thunder against."
Lee
Dec 25, 2011 Lee rated it liked it
Abecedarian snark from 1850s France. Slyly thunders against conventional wisdom and cliche. Offers ironic philosophy, etiquette, and health advice. An interesting form that could use a 21st Century American update?
Marie-ange-la-celte
Des deux livres de Flaubert que j'ai lu, celui-ci me semble le plus intéressant, moins soporifique que Madame Bovary. C'était drôle, et c'était une magnifique critique de l'époque de Flaubert, tout en se lisant comme un charme!
Helena
Olipa varsin ajatonta luettavaa, small talk -taitoja voi oppia tästä kirjasta yhtä hyvin nyt kuin 1800-luvulla :) Hauskaa ja purevaa ironiaa, vaikkakaan en ihan sanatarkasti jaksanut kahlata tätä kaikkea sivistystä läpi.
David
Jun 04, 2011 David rated it liked it
A bizarre little book of Flaubert ideas.
Elia
Mar 16, 2015 Elia rated it it was amazing
A ne pas rater
Vincent
Oct 21, 2009 Vincent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autres
Peut être amusant, parfois.
John
Mar 30, 2010 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read and re-read. Laugh out loud
Salah Sameh
Feb 08, 2014 Salah Sameh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
زى أعمال كتير مابفضلش أقيمها غير لما أقراها أكتر من مرة, الكتاب أو القاموس ده عظيم وفى المرتين تلاتة اللى قريته فيهم كُنت قاعد مُبتسم وبأضحك طول مُدة القراءة
Goodreads Librari...: Croatian edition of Flaubert 3 18 Apr 06, 2013 01:13AM
  • Maxims
  • The Castle of the Carpathians
  • Il matematico impertinente
  • Novels in Three Lines
  • Calligrammes: Poems of Peace and War (1913-1916)
  • Laughter: An Essay on the Meaning of the Comic
  • Dithyrambs of Dionysus
Gustave Flaubert (December 12, 1821 – May 8, 1880) is counted among the greatest Western novelists. He was born in Rouen, Seine-Maritime, in the Haute-Normandie Region of France.

Flaubert's curious modes of composition favored and were emphasized by these peculiarities. He worked in sullen solitude, sometimes occupying a week in the completion of one page, never satisfied with what he had composed,
More about Gustave Flaubert...

“Emigres: Earned their livelihood by giving guitar lessons and mixing salads.” 4 likes