Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man

Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Our goal with every sale is customer satisfaction, so please buy with confidence. All orders are shipped the same day. This is a used book in Very GOOD condition and may show some minor signs of use.
Published January 1st 2007 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Men of Valor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men of Valor

Taressa
Although this was written for men I found it deeply touched me and I learned a great deal about my role as well. It reminded me that more valiant men and women are needed and what is required to reach that level!
Talia
I got this book for my husband but I ended up reading it first!! I just applied into a womens life and it was FABULOUS!!! GREAT GREAT BOOK!! Really motivating, easy to read!!
Heather
This is a good book with many good thoughts and quotes and ideas for living the gospel valiantly, particularly for priesthood holders leading out in righteousness, but I think there are great ideas and take aways for all of us.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"The priesthood is the power and authority of God, delegated to men on earth, to act in all things pertaining to the salvation of the human family. It is God's power, loaned for a season to you and me, to make a difference in a world th...more
Richard
A short book, with the stated goal "To Raise up Men of God." Millet takes the Priesthood Hymn "Rise up, O Men of God" and looks at each phrase and devotes a chapter to our understanding of what we need to do to be in God's good graces. Very simple with examples and personal reflections. The following are a couple quotes from the book, which help to know the flavor of the teachings.

"Jesus was downright revolutionary in the way he treated women in his day. To put it bluntly, women of the first cen...more
Sally
Excellent book. It was the only thing in the house I haven't read so I picked it up & started in on it not sure what to expect though with a title like this you can't expect anything but good ! Brother Millet did a excellent job of discussing the impact of a righteous man. However, being a woman, I just kept flipping the insight he shared to how it would & does apply to me as a woman. I loved how at the end of each chapter he kinda went over the major points he had made by asking questio...more
Rebecca
Sep 22, 2013 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS men and the women who care about them
This book was short (I read it in a few hours), straightforward, and insightful. As a woman, there was still plenty I could learn that will not only help me to support my man as he becomes a "man of valor" but also help me become a woman of valor. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, Men of Influence: The Potential of the Priesthood to Lift the World.
'becca
WONDERFUL book! I was grateful to learn some over-arching principles on the priesthood. I am amazed at how very much I learned from this book that I am needing to apply right now in my own life. I'm learning more about keeping covenants. There were passages that shed light on things I have experienced and am currently experiencing. A lot of things he has found to be true are things I have also found to be true. I like how he thinks!
Amie
Written to men of the Priesthood, I felt it could only do us good for me to read it as well. I hightly reccomend it to all men and women. Us sisters can better serve our husbands and help them magnify their callings as we honor them and lovingly encourage all that is good.
I especially enjoyed the questions and the end of each chapter/ It helped me to think about the topic in a more personal way.
Kevin
Amazing Book! I took a class from RL Millet while I was at BYU, a New Testament class. He is a great teacher and has the ability to convey a principle that is easily understood and retained. This book speaks in depth on the priesthood, and how men should live to be worthy of that priesthood. Very moving.
Ken Rogerson
Shane, thanks for the nudge, I read both this and Men of Influence over the winter break. While some of it is a little trite, most addresses the lack of clarity we feel in our lives. I appreciate that attitudes, not answers, may be the best approach.
Ned N.
Dec 08, 2008 Ned N. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Priesthood Men
Recommended to Ned N. by: Education Week class by Author
Shelves: religion
Gideon (Judges 8:10) was a Mighty man of valor. "Valor represents bravery and strength of character, boldness, and fortitude--all qualities that prepare a person to act responsibly in times of need, of challenge, or of danger." Very easy and inspiring read.
Adam
Good solid book focused on motivating and remotivating priesthood holders to live up to their calling. It's a lot like Believe In Christ, where it's just a personal opinion on the subject with personal stories and analogies to teach the points.
Rex
Mar 01, 2010 Rex rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
I really liked Millet's "A Different Jesus", but I'm not as big of a fan of this devotional book. Perhaps it is because I listened to the audiobook, and the content might have been better in print or in a devotional setting.
Jacob
This was a great book. I admit that I had a hard time finding the theme in the various chapters. It felt a little disorganized to me but I still enjoyed all the insights and principles. Wonderful stories as well.
Mike
Not many books moved me the way that Men of Valor did. It's an easy read and takes references from all walks of life to help men rise up to the calling of fatherhood, the priesthood, and living better.
Jared
For Priesthood holders, this book is a call to "rise up" and be better prepared to honor God and exercise His authority; for everyone, it offers useful insights into the purpose and power of the Priesthood.
Erneilson
This is a series of essays pertaining to the Latter-day Saint man and the priesthood. Brother Millet is a fine writer and I recommend this book to all men desiring to more faithfully serve.
Jason Burt
This was a great book and I learned some things I haven't thought of before in how to be a better man!
Sam
This book does a great job at showing the need of righteous men and what men can do if they live righteously. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is striving to be better each day.
Rebecca
This is a great book with great insights and instruction. Each chapter can be read and pondered separately so it's a great book to read on a trip and also makes a wonderful gift book.
Kaylynn Johnsen
There were a few quotes that moved me enough to share. I think it is a valuable resource for men who are trying to live up to the privileged of their priesthood. It is 3 1/2 stars.
Andrew Thomas
This book provided some good insights for me into the Priesthood. It was a good reminder of the things I need to do to realize the power and blessings the Priesthood can bring into my life.
Bonnie
Quick read. Read it while in the hospital having Noel. About responsibilities of men who hold the priesthood, but it's more interesting than I just made it sound.
Jeffrey
Simply put, every man and father in this world should read this book and apply its teachings. Makes you want to be a better husband and father (future father for me).
Alisha
Jun 08, 2010 Alisha rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
some interesting insights. made me think more about the priesthood and our responsibility to really listen to the Lord and counsel with him about EVERYTHING.
Christopher
This book is a short read, but filled with powerful reminders on why I need to work to be a better husband, father and member of my community.
Delsa
I liked the mapping of the ages of the first prophets overlapping and showing how the True and Living God was taught from the beginning of man.
Kevin
Really good book and some great examples but I felt it got a little bit preachy in the second to last chapter. I would still recommend
Katie
Enlightening, uplifting, and encouraging; to the point and makes me want to be a better person. Loved it and will read it again.
Shalee
Written to a male audience but I found it very applicable to my life as well. Helped me understand the priesthood better.
  • What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child
  • However Long & Hard the Road
  • Lehi in the Desert, the World of the Jaredites, There Were Jaredites (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 5)
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Lorenzo Snow
  • The Continuous Conversion: God Isn't Just Proving Us, He's Improving Us
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Act in Doctrine: Spiritual Patterns for Turning From Self to the Savior (Spiritual Patterns, #2)
  • The Infinite Atonement
  • Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man
  • Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • The Great Apostasy
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • The Lost Language of Symbolism: An Essential Guide for Recognizing and Interpreting Symbols of the Gospel
  • To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discourses
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
Robert L. Millet, professor of ancient scripture and former dean of Religious Education at Brigham Young University, holds a master s degree in psychology from BYU and a Ph.D. in religious studies from Florida State University. He is a popular speaker and prolific writer whose other books include Lost and Found: Reflections on the Prodigal Son; Grace Works; and More Holiness Give Me. He and his wi...more
More about Robert L. Millet...
Grace Works Talking with God: Divine Conversations That Transform Daily Life Are We There Yet? When a Child Wanders Men of Influence: The Potential of the Priesthood to Lift the World

“If you have not chosen the Kingdom of God first, it will make little difference what you have chosen instead.” 7 likes
“Valor represents bravery and strength of character, boldness, and fortitude - all qualities that prepare a person to act responsibly in times of need, of challenge, or of danger.” 4 likes