Start by marking “Berserker Base” as Want to Read:
Berserker Base

Berserker Base (Berserker)

Created in an ancient war, the berserkers are huge and implacable machines that rampage through the galaxy with one mission: the destruction of human life. In a collaboration of seven well-known writers. Berserker Base is the story of a group of people in a desperate struggle to stop this threat to civilization.
Published June 15th 1987 by Tor Books (first published 1985)

Leroy Erickson
Dec 12, 2015 Leroy Erickson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-collections
Fred Saberhagen had his first berserker story published in 1963. Since then there have been 17 novels or collections of short stories published in this series. The premise is that millions of years ago when two planets were at war with each other, one of them, "The Builders", developed a computerized, self-controlled war ship which could repair and replicate itself and adapt to new conditions, then pass on everything that it had learned to all of the other copies. These machines worked so well t ...more
Andrew
Jul 08, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
I started reading this series at Uni - I will admit I had sort of heard of it in references in passing several time but never really paid much attention - now however it seems like its own cliche - there ad killing machines self aware on a single minded mission to eradicate all life from the universe the war they were designed for long forgotten their mission however still burning bright - they can self replicate and they can learn and in all the universe only mankind appears to have the potenti ...more
Bryan
Dec 29, 2009 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
A very good book. I enjoyed the Zelazny and Willis stories perhaps most of all. Poul Anderson's story was good, but I've always found his prose to be more parsimonious and thus less fluid. I get off track when I read Poul Anderson, but he does put out good stories and keeps things scientifically well-fixed.

The Ed Bryant & Stephen Donaldson stories were the least satisfying - both brought in a bit of fantasy to the more traditional SF context in which the Berserker stories are written.

Also, t
Philip Chaston
Oct 20, 2013 Philip Chaston rated it it was ok
Saberhagen's series on the berserkers: AI's that wish to destroy all organic life was one of the earliest examples of this idea in fiction for modern space opera. Yet, his pulp style and simplistic morals hark beck to the verities of pulp fiction: honour, self secrifice, the hero gets the simpering, cardboard cut-out girl and so on.

To spice up his narrative, Saberhagen conjures up a counter-earth where time travel is permitted and a history of humanity follows with interventions (including a Cat
Tom
Sep 09, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it

Berserker Base is a collaborative novel written by Poul Anderson, Ed Bryant, Stephen R. Donaldson, Larry Niven, Fred Saberhagen, Connie Willis, and Roger Zelazny that tells a rambling story about a group of humans captured and imprisoned on a Berserker Base. There is more to the story than meets the eye and the main protagonist Lars Kanakuru is connected to a series of apparently disconnected events by Berserker telepathic device. These events make up the various stories of the novel.

The stories

Craig Bolton
Berserker Base by Poul Anderson (1987)
Yougo
Dec 21, 2011 Yougo rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A very interesting series, I've liked both the Berserker series books that I've read so far. I've enjoyed other books by Saberhagen, and I enjoyed this one.
Jim
Mar 15, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
Read this book when I was in High School and just came across it while cleaning the basement. Most the short stories are very good and I enjoyed reading it again.
bluetyson
Berserker Base by Fred Saberhagen (1987)
Anthony Faber
Mar 25, 2016 Anthony Faber rated it really liked it
Stories by various writers set in Fred Saberhagen's Beserker universe. Good space opera.
Timothy Boyd
Aug 24, 2014 Timothy Boyd rated it liked it
Good SiFi stories in a shared universe about an ultimate space weapon called the beserker. Recommended
Brian Keller
Aug 06, 2011 Brian Keller rated it really liked it
Two of my favorite short stories appear in this collection, "Itself Surprised" by Roger Zelazny and "A Teardrop Falls", by Larry Niven. Don't miss these stories.
Charl
Sep 19, 2016 Charl rated it really liked it
Shelves: y2016
One of my favorite authors, one of my favorite series.

A shared-universe anthology set in Saberhagen's Berserker universe. And not a clinker in the bunch!
Travis
Jul 10, 2010 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
In this book, Saberhagen lets some other writers write their own stories about the Berserkers.
A read a bunch of these books in high school. A real under rated sci-fi series.

Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Helena
Helena rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Michael Clancy
Michael Clancy rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2010
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Kevin Trainor
Kevin Trainor rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2009
Curtis
Curtis rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2010
Gabriel Eggers
Gabriel Eggers rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Paul DeNorch
Paul DeNorch rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Metaphorosis
Metaphorosis rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Elaine Yale
Elaine Yale rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Greatredwarrior
Greatredwarrior rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Pattie Brassard
Pattie Brassard rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2007
  • Lunar Activity
  • There Will Be War (There Will Be War, #1)
  • N-Space
  • Three to Dorsai! (Necromancer, Tactics of Mistake, Dorsai!)
  • Riders of the Purple Wage
  • Earthman's Burden (Hoka, #1)
  • Nightmares And Geezenstacks
  • Year's Best SF 7
  • Kinsman
  • A Day for Damnation
  • Subspace Encounter (Subspace, #2)
  • Untouched By Human Hands
  • The Wooden Spaceships (Land and Overland Series, #2)
  • Distant Stars
Fred Saberhagen was an American science fiction and fantasy author most famous for his ''Beserker'' and Dracula stories.

Saberhagen also wrote a series of a series of post-apocalyptic mytho-magical novels beginning with his popular ''Empire of the East'' and continuing through a long series of ''Swords'' and ''Lost Swords'' novels. Saberhagen died of cancer, in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Saberhagen was
More about Fred Saberhagen...

Berserker (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Berserker (Berserker, #1)
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • Berserker's Planet (Berserker, #3)
  • Berserker Man (Berserker, #4)
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • The Berserker Wars (Berserker)
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • Berserker: Blue Death (Berserker, #8)
  • Berserker Kill (Berserker, #9)
  • Berserker Fury (Berserker, #10)