Start by marking “The Fifth Profession” as Want to Read:
The Fifth Profession

The Fifth Profession

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,522 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Savage, a former Navy SEAL and American state-of-the-art security specialist. Akira, Japan’s most brilliant executive protector and a master of the samurai arts.

Their mission: the retrieval of Rachel Stone, a beautiful American woman whose ruthless billionaire husband is out to destroy her. But quickly Savage and Akira realize they are trapped in a mission more far-reachin
Audio CD
Published July 20th 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Fifth Profession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fifth Profession

Jessica McReaderpants
This book started out great, mystery intrigue spying and bodyguard-ing. Then it took a left turn out of interesting into crazy town. Spoiler Alert* Their brains were messed with. So it goes on and on and on Matrix style with is this a dream is this a real memory or is this fabricated. Chapter after chapter as they are chased and chase people. Oh and then all of a sudden the woman who was saved is suddenly and inexplicably in love with our protagonist. Seriously there is hardly any meaningful con ...more
Guido Henkel
What a missed opportunity. Morrell is probably one of the sloppiest bestselling writers around. While the story could have been cool, the book is bogged down by his repetitive writing style - what's up with those karate-callused hands in every second paragraph and Morrell's obsession with people tasting bile on a constant basis - to name only a few.

On top of that he forgets and drops an entire major plot line halfway through the novel and offers up a finale that makes neither sense nor does it o
Andy Connell
Started off good, got kinda annoying, got annoying, got dumb, got retarded, got jesus fucking christ./
Dipanjan
This is the 2nd time I read this book. The first time was way back when I was in college. All I remembered was that I had found the book to be awesome then. Well after hundreds of thrillers later, thousands of life experiences later, a few paradigm shifts in my personal outlook towards life, I enjoyed the book but not THAT much. What I had once labelled as awesome has now fallen back into being a good "One Time Read" page turner.

The plot is a bit far-fetched. It starts off in a furious and lucid
Mason
While many of the elements of fiction I loved were in place, interesting protagonists, intriguing settings, brain-bending true-to-life science (neuroscience), spies, assassins, questionable memories, martial arts, and moving action, I felt the end lacked... something. It didn't feel like the most powerful ending that Morrell could have written. On the whole, I liked the book and will lend it out to my friends. I learned a lot, though, about Executive Protectors, tradecraft, Japan, and Japanese C ...more
Stuart Langridge
From School Library Journal

Gripping adventure, suspense, and espionage are standard ingredients of Morrell's novels. Hired by wealthy and powerful clients as an executive protector, Savage is assigned to rescue Rachel Stone from her sadistic husband on the Greek island of Mykonos. Joined by Akira, his Japanese counterpart, Savage discovers this case extends far beyond merely protecting and safely delivering a client. Pursued by unknown outside forces, the threesome struggle to stay alive and s

Tyson Adams
How do you tell if a book has samurai in it? Don't worry, they'll put a katana on the cover. A book about ninjas is a little harder, since they are invisible to anyone that hasn't just been killed by a ninja. How do you tell if a book is a thriller? Don't worry, they'll put a gun on the cover.

Professional protectors - the fifth profession.... get it! - Savage and Akira are teamed up to protect a travelling businessman. Things go horribly wrong and Savage is beaten to a pulp after seeing the busi
Davio Smitti
Savage and Akira, “protectors,” aka bodyguards, aka "The Fifth Profession," are severely injured at a meeting...but when they compare notes, each saw the other killed—in fact, beheaded, right after their client was killed. Problem: all are still alive. False memories via surg procedure. Sidebar of love story with Rachel. Just too many wild improbabilities for me, leaps of illogic...glad when I was done that it was over.
Piglet
I read this book many years ago (most likely more than once) and I really liked it, so when I saw it in my mom's bookshelf I borrowed it to re-read it.

Morrell's style of writing is quite straight-forward, so it's easy to read.

The story is interesting and thrilling, I like that we get to learn a bit more about Japanese culture and history and I find the idea of modern samurais kind of cool.

We get the story about two men who work as executive protectors, Savage who is American and Akira who is J
Diane
executive protectors are hired. they watch like body guards or help others out. the main character rescues a woman from her abusive husband and starts a ball rolling on who wants who killed. the main character and a ninja he meets has to find out why each other thought they saw the other die 6 months ago.
Darren
I really like the first third or so of this book - and then it goes from being a great action book to some sort of weird sci-fi mind-alteration book.
Jim C
A novel about a man who is a protector is hired to rescue a woman from an abusive husband. As the mission progresses, he sees a person who is suppose to be dead which leads to many unanswered questions.
This book had plenty of action to keep the reader interested. I enjoyed the first half book much more than the second half. The second half had more to do with the conspiracy and to me, the conspiracy became too much. I did enjoy the aspects of Japanese life that was in this book. If you are goin
Susan
Action packed. Enjoyed the book.
David
I read this one in college some twenty years ago. I can't remember much, but it still resonates. A bodyguard rescues a movie star's sister from her abusive Greek husband's island fortress. There's also a modern day Japanese Samurai the bodyguard teams up with. There's also something about false memories not to mention the hit teams pursuing them. Give it a shot.

Reviewed by, David Feeney, author; Terror on the high seas
Robert
Great book! David Morrell pens some great stories. They seem somewhat unique to me, not so much in plot or characters themselves, but how the story is crafted; how the plot develops and the action within the story. A lot of action, fast paced, moving quickly from chapter to chapter. I can't compare this writer to any other I've read so far. He definitely has a distinct style and one I am quite pleased with. I look forward to my next Morrell book.
Nancy
This is one of David Morrell's earlier novels. As much as I enjoy his work, this novel contained too many internal conflicts, personal conflicts, locations, and characters for my taste. It is action packed from beginning to end and if that is your type of book you may enjoy this.
Brad
At one time, The Fifth Profession was the bestselling book of Morrell's career. While not my personal favorite of his, with The Brotherhood of the Rose and The Fraternity of the Stone still my two favorite works of fiction ever written, The Fifth Profession is an exciting read that never lets up and takes the reader on a journey into a foreign world that many have never encountered.
Christine
A fast paced trip through, Japan, Europe and the U.S.A. with some good plot turns, interesting twists and lots of actions. The life of an “executive protector” is always interesting, but what do you do when everything you have known to be true turns out to be a lie. That’s the question facing Savage and Akira in novel.
Naee Lee
This book is a M A S T E R P I E C E
Sean D
I really liked the book it was very original and interesting. It does make you pay attention otherwise you may get lost because it involves alot of plot turns in the beggining. I would recomend this book to anyone who likes action, mystery, and originality.
Luke Bishop
Apr 24, 2013 Luke Bishop added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noone
I would NEVER recommend this book to anyone.
This was a let down of EPIC proportions.
Brilliant idea.
The execution was tragic.
This COULD have been a short story for all of the over descriptions and adjectives.

I didn't even finish it.
I couldn't.
About a "protector" who has had his "memories" altered. He must solve the problem of what is real and what is imaginary so that he can save the person he is assigned to protect as well as himself. I enjoyed the suspense of this story.
Larry
I was out of things to read so I raided the wife's bin of books in the basement. This seemed to be the least bad of what I could find that I haven't already read.

That's the best I can think of to say about this book.
David
Morrell tops nearly every author in terms of orchestrating a plot that really intrigues and stays ahead of the reader's predictions. Some suspension of disbelief is required here, but the plot helps make up for this.
Tom
From the bestselling author of First Blood comes a spectacular thriller, in which a former Navy SEAL and a Japanese samurai master are bound together in a terrifying past that never happened.
Niall519
From memory, I did actually pick this up in an airport. It's a serviceable thriller with all the required elements, but it does have one particular gimmick that revolves around memory.
Lucas Spann
Not that good. Lots of mistranslations and the characters talk like over emotional 14 year olds... or maybe that's just how Navy Seals and contemporary "Samurai" talk?
Rebekkila
Nov 08, 2011 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Coolcat
I've read 1 other Morrell book that ROCKED. this one was a bit corny and unbelievable. But one has gotta love the hero in this book.
Steve
A thriller by a master of suspense. I love most of Morrell's older books, and this is one that is hard to put down.
  • Zero
  • Day of Reckoning
  • The Bannerman Solution
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • The Khmer Kill: A Dox Short Story
  • Havana (Earl Swagger, #3)
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.
More about David Morrell...
The Brotherhood of the Rose (Mortalis, #1) First Blood Creepers Murder as a Fine Art The Fraternity Of The Stone