Start by marking “The Covenant of the Flame” as Want to Read:
The Covenant of the Flame

The Covenant of the Flame

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,239 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In the Amazon basin, the widow of a rubber-tree tapper who was assassinated for opposing destruction of the rain forest receives a gruesome gift -- the head of the financier who ordered her husband's death. In Australia, a tanker captain responsible for a massive oil spill is blown to pieces and top oil executives are drowned or poisoned. Soon, a young investigative journa ...more
Published May 1st 1992 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Covenant of the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Covenant of the Flame

Oliver Rabacal
Apr 09, 2013 Oliver Rabacal rated it it was amazing
This is my first book encounter with David Morrell's work and I immediately fall in love with it. I love the action mystery setting. I love the scene wherein there are worshippers of the ancient Mithras with a bas relief made of ivory. The battle of the vermins and the good guys. As Amazon's editorial review have been quoted "A feisty heroine, a stalwart hero, two enemy groups of ancient origin, appropriate deaths for nature's despoilers, world-wide canvas and pointed reminders of earth's fragil ...more
Brian O'Hare
May 19, 2014 Brian O'Hare rated it liked it
A LONG WAY FROM HIS BEST

David Morrell is usually brilliant but for me Covenant of the Flame is something of a let-down. It has the makings of a good story and does have its moments. The early love interest grabs the reader as do Tess's subsequent efforts to solve her new friend's murder.Excitement flares, too, when the heroine is being chased by gangs with heavy artillery and murder in their hearts. But a number of inherent weaknesses in the storytelling spoil the book for me.

For example, the di
Vivienne Neal
Apr 04, 2013 Vivienne Neal rated it it was amazing

A page-turning thriller

The author brings a blend of dirty politics, blackmail, corporate greed, sex, strange encounters and occurrences, eco extremists, killings, religious convictions, and retribution. There is something for everyone, lots of twists and turns and revelations. The characters are believable, vulnerable, sleazy, and downright creepy and you cannot tell the good people from the bad ones. I enjoyed reading this book.

Dale
Jan 19, 2014 Dale rated it liked it
I'm a huge Morrell fan but this one was just paint by numbers

No one writes books about a little guy vs. a vast conspiracy better than David Morrell. Morrell is one of the few authors that I will snatch up when I come across a new (or "new to me") title.

The Covenant of the Flame tries to go for that "on the run" feel that Morrell usually establishes, but it just comes off as more of a "paint by the numbers" effort. The DaVinci Code covers similar material but the The Covenant of the Flame
Phil James
Jul 25, 2013 Phil James rated it really liked it
A really good thriller. I read a few of Morrell's books when I was a teenager - he wrote the books that Rambo is based on. He's actually a writer of really good thrillers. Read this one and you'll see that Dan Brown's plots are not that original Surprise, surprise.
Charles
Jul 27, 2010 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A very fine book. I loved the depth of the characters and the love Morrell put into writing this book. In places it seemed a touch long but it was definitely a meaty book full of good stuff.
Keat Hanna
May 01, 2012 Keat Hanna rated it it was amazing
Really action-filled. The tangled clues are for you to disassemble until you catch yourself already hooked in the story. All the elements blended so well.Very good plot!
BhaktiM
Oct 12, 2013 BhaktiM rated it it was amazing
Suspense, good characters, interesting story, wonderful writing
Kathryn Scannell
May 25, 2011 Kathryn Scannell rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this one. In many ways it was everything I expected of a Morrell book - accurate, fast-paced, and gripping. He did a fine job making his heroine believable - not experienced in the world of violence, but brave, smart enough of put clues together and see the implications of her situation, and starting out with just enough appropriate skills to justify surviving the learning curve.

The downside, which is making me waffle between giving it 3 and 4 stars, is the nature of
Brian Mincks
Mar 18, 2012 Brian Mincks is currently reading it
I have high hopes for this book seeing that I just came off of a David Morrell book that I loved. The Covenant of the Flame is not the spy thriller that the Brotherhood of the Road is, but I expect it to still be a page turning, fast paced, unpredictable read. So far the book is set in present day New York City where a news reporter, Tess Drake, has found a mysterious alter in an apartment of her friend. Her friend has been missing ever since she found the alter and she vows to do what ever it t ...more
Meredith
This book was way slow to start, with the beginning being particularly confusing, but it eventually got smoother and made more sense...at least to me. There was a LOT of environmental jargon that I suspect would have lost a few people. Luckily, I spent 8 years as an Environmental Educator AFTER 4 years in an Environmental Studies kind of college. I didn't care for the Environmental vs. Religion slant but I did appreciate that they pointed out the good AND negative sides of both groups. It does l ...more
Randy Grossman
Aug 30, 2015 Randy Grossman rated it liked it
Really would given it a 2 1/2 if I could. Some aspects of the story were compelling and interesting to follow, some were rather far-fetched and pretty much unrealistic. I found the information about the two obscure religious cults and some of the Catholic doctrine written of informative to a point...but the book did NOT have a satisfying conclusion IMO. Don't know if there is a sequel, but I won't bother if there is.
Eric Mccaffree
May 18, 2014 Eric Mccaffree rated it it was ok
Reading this book makes me wonder if all modern thrillers are so dull. The prose felt very weak, an almost nonexistent effort at intelligent or probing writing. With that said, the plot does move briskly, and it is entertaining. Certain sections were interesting, but overall, I'd say its a very skippable experience.
Jos
Oct 17, 2014 Jos rated it really liked it
Fast paced, action packed and totally incredible but then... what about it?
Don't think, read and you may enjoy it as much as I have.
And to remind some of my fellow readers and critics below it's not a newspaper, don't read/rate it as such.
Bruce Larson
Feb 22, 2016 Bruce Larson rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap
This is possibly the worst book I have ever read. I didn't make it all the way to the end, but I kept reading because I was convinced it had to get better ot it never could have gotten published...
May 01, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Lots of suspense and definitely a page turner. I enjoyed it to a point but the religious cults fighting it out got a little silly towards the end.
Kathy Ruble
Feb 05, 2016 Kathy Ruble rated it liked it
Stopped half way thru - didn't hold my interest.
David
Jul 23, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
One of Morrell's more divisive books, I found it enjoyable but it is different in a few ways from his norm. For one thing, it is a thriller that simmers slowly before boiling over in the second half. Secondly, it deals with a religious cult and controversial doctrines, which always brings out a slew of negative reviews. This is not one of Morrell's better books, but it certainly isn't bad. I wouldn't recommend that new readers of Morrell start here.
Timothy
May 17, 2015 Timothy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Christopher
May 15, 2013 Christopher rated it liked it
I loved the story and the plot, but the dialogue was a little corny at times and the polution/smog/the-earth-is-going-to-die stuff just gets shoved in your face and blown up. I don't enjoy fiction that preaches. NOT my favorite Morrell book, but it won't keep me from reading the others!
Rebekkila
Nov 29, 2011 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Thomas
Jun 13, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought I read this when it came out, was a nice treat finding a Morrell book that I hadn't read. As always I thoroughly enjoyed his story.
Aurélie
Pas celui que j'ai préféré, mais comme tous les polars de Morrell, il est rudement efficace et mené à un train d'enfer.
Mark Anderson
Dec 20, 2012 Mark Anderson rated it liked it
I always enjoy this book and many of David Morrell's other books because of the characters.
Charles
Jul 24, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Good, not quite as good as the three that came before it, but still very enjoyable.
Nickvlad
Mar 19, 2012 Nickvlad rated it did not like it
Couldn't get past the first 100 pages. Pro-eco-terrorism books are not my kind of thing.
Bryan Langpap
Oct 12, 2013 Bryan Langpap rated it liked it
Started good but got a bit far-fetched towards the end as the body count got out of hand.
Jered Skousen
Dec 11, 2009 Jered Skousen rated it did not like it
I couldn't get into it. A plot that glorified eco-terrorism. No my cup of tea.
H.M.
Aug 24, 2012 H.M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
I wish this was a cleaner book, but the plot was really good.
  • Zero
  • The God Machine
  • Circus
  • The Source
  • Outer Perimeter
  • Crucified  (Special X, #13)
  • Tears of the Jaguar
  • Black Wind
  • Sharky's Machine
  • Ninja Soccer Moms (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #3)
  • Dead White
  • Final Approach
  • The Templar Throne (Templar, #3)
  • Night Shadow (T-FLAC, #14)
  • Ghost Dance
  • The Gamma Option  (Blaine McCracken, #3)
  • Atlantic Fury
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.
More about David Morrell...