The Covenant of the Flame

The Covenant of the Flame

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  961 ratings  ·  25 reviews
As the earth is slowly defiled--by everything from oil spills to the extinction of animals--New York City reporter Tess Drake finds herself in the middle of a fierce battle between two covert armies. Reprint.
Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Published May 1st 1992 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1991)

Brian O'hare
A LONG WAY FROM HIS BEST

David Morrell is usually brilliant but for me Covenant of the Flame is something of a let-down. It has the makings of a good story and does have its moments. The early love interest grabs the reader as do Tess's subsequent efforts to solve her new friend's murder.Excitement flares, too, when the heroine is being chased by gangs with heavy artillery and murder in their hearts. But a number of inherent weaknesses in the storytelling spoil the book for me.

For example, the di...more
Dale
I'm a huge Morrell fan but this one was just paint by numbers

No one writes books about a little guy vs. a vast conspiracy better than David Morrell. Morrell is one of the few authors that I will snatch up when I come across a new (or "new to me") title.

The Covenant of the Flame tries to go for that "on the run" feel that Morrell usually establishes, but it just comes off as more of a "paint by the numbers" effort. The DaVinci Code covers similar material but the The Covenant of the Flame is...more
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kathryn Scannell
I have mixed feelings about this one. In many ways it was everything I expected of a Morrell book - accurate, fast-paced, and gripping. He did a fine job making his heroine believable - not experienced in the world of violence, but brave, smart enough of put clues together and see the implications of her situation, and starting out with just enough appropriate skills to justify surviving the learning curve.

The downside, which is making me waffle between giving it 3 and 4 stars, is the nature of...more
Brian Mincks
Mar 18, 2012 Brian Mincks is currently reading it
I have high hopes for this book seeing that I just came off of a David Morrell book that I loved. The Covenant of the Flame is not the spy thriller that the Brotherhood of the Road is, but I expect it to still be a page turning, fast paced, unpredictable read. So far the book is set in present day New York City where a news reporter, Tess Drake, has found a mysterious alter in an apartment of her friend. Her friend has been missing ever since she found the alter and she vows to do what ever it t...more
Oliver Rabacal
This is my first book encounter with David Morrell's work and I immediately fall in love with it. I love the action mystery setting. I love the scene wherein there are worshippers of the ancient Mithras with a bas relief made of ivory. The battle of the vermins and the good guys. As Amazon's editorial review have been quoted "A feisty heroine, a stalwart hero, two enemy groups of ancient origin, appropriate deaths for nature's despoilers, world-wide canvas and pointed reminders of earth's fragil...more
Eric Mccaffree
Reading this book makes me wonder if all modern thrillers are so dull. The prose felt very weak, an almost nonexistent effort at intelligent or probing writing. With that said, the plot does move briskly, and it is entertaining. Certain sections were interesting, but overall, I'd say its a very skippable experience.
David
One of Morrell's more divisive books, I found it enjoyable but it is different in a few ways from his norm. For one thing, it is a thriller that simmers slowly before boiling over in the second half. Secondly, it deals with a religious cult and controversial doctrines, which always brings out a slew of negative reviews. This is not one of Morrell's better books, but it certainly isn't bad. I wouldn't recommend that new readers of Morrell start here.
Vivienne Neal

A page-turning thriller

The author brings a blend of dirty politics, blackmail, corporate greed, sex, strange encounters and occurrences, eco extremists, killings, religious convictions, and retribution. There is something for everyone, lots of twists and turns and revelations. The characters are believable, vulnerable, sleazy, and downright creepy and you cannot tell the good people from the bad ones. I enjoyed reading this book.

Christopher
I loved the story and the plot, but the dialogue was a little corny at times and the polution/smog/the-earth-is-going-to-die stuff just gets shoved in your face and blown up. I don't enjoy fiction that preaches. NOT my favorite Morrell book, but it won't keep me from reading the others!
Phil James
A really good thriller. I read a few of Morrell's books when I was a teenager - he wrote the books that Rambo is based on. He's actually a writer of really good thrillers. Read this one and you'll see that Dan Brown's plots are not that original Surprise, surprise.
Charles
A very fine book. I loved the depth of the characters and the love Morrell put into writing this book. In places it seemed a touch long but it was definitely a meaty book full of good stuff.
Keat Hanna
Really action-filled. The tangled clues are for you to disassemble until you catch yourself already hooked in the story. All the elements blended so well.Very good plot!
Rebekkila
Nov 29, 2011 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Thomas
Thought I read this when it came out, was a nice treat finding a Morrell book that I hadn't read. As always I thoroughly enjoyed his story.
Mark Anderson
I always enjoy this book and many of David Morrell's other books because of the characters.
Charles
Good, not quite as good as the three that came before it, but still very enjoyable.
Nickvlad
Couldn't get past the first 100 pages. Pro-eco-terrorism books are not my kind of thing.
Bryan Langpap
Started good but got a bit far-fetched towards the end as the body count got out of hand.
Jered Skousen
I couldn't get into it. A plot that glorified eco-terrorism. No my cup of tea.
Hailey
I wish this was a cleaner book, but the plot was really good.
Joey
Suspense, good characters, interesting story, wonderful writing
Greg
Enjoyed this read. It predates the Davinci Code and is way better.
Connor Zumwalt
Jul 26, 2008 Connor Zumwalt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults only
Another good book for adults.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Suspense
Lissa
Lissa added it
Jul 18, 2014
  • Zero
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton, #10)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • Sharky's Machine
  • The Day Before Midnight
  • Black Wind
  • The Timothy Files
  • Circle of Stones
  • Cyanide Wells (Cape Perdido, #2)
  • Circus
  • The Chamber of Ten (Hidden Cities, #3)
  • The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • Leviathan
  • The Templar Throne (Templar, #3)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.
More about David Morrell...
The Brotherhood of the Rose (Mortalis, #1) Creepers First Blood Murder as a Fine Art The Fraternity Of The Stone