Start by marking “Gonzo Marketing: Winning Through Worst Practices” as Want to Read:
Gonzo Marketing: Winning Through Worst Practices

Gonzo Marketing: Winning Through Worst Practices

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A Harvard Business Review Top-10 Business Book of 2001Gonzo Marketing is a knuckle-whitening ride to the place where social criticism, biting satire, and serious commerce meet--and where the outdated ideals of mass marketing and broadcast media are being left in the dust. Invoking the spirit of gonzo journalism, Locke rails against business practices that treat customers l ...more
Published October 17th 2002 by Basic Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Gonzo Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gonzo Marketing

stinaz
I'm not sure whether I absolutely love it, or not. I found that the information was nothing new for someone who studied marketing at university. But I can understand (from experience) how most of the world sees marketing as this horrible pushing, selling, solely and soullessly product and profit focused activity. Even a lot (perhaps even most) of the people who work in marketing. So I understand the frustration and wanting to use better practices. But that is what marketing has been about, from ...more
Dean Landsman
This is much more than a book about marketing. It is a moving account of sensory input and the world around us through which internal and external decisions and actions occur.

Mild disclaimer: the author is a friend. But if he'd written a bad book I would just not review it. This one you should read, friend or not.
Malene Jessen
Locke is both witty and intelligent, and even in my less desirable Danish translation you can still feel the presence in his writing.

The greatest value for me was the cultural-historical take on todays online marketing - and why it doesn't work. He digs deep into the arrogance and declining power of businesses and mass media, and covers greater areas of journalism, politics, social marketing and the attempt of companies to seem 'human'.

Getting people involved, facilitating a space in which they
Jimi Bostock
I read this book during a sabbatical that I took between my two web development companies in Canberra, SafetyWeb and 108 Digital.

It almost made me want to get back onteh horse but I held out for another two years

Yes, this is one of the coolest early books that picked up on the emerging possibilities of the web. It even touched on social media as a general concept, long before ant real social networking had surfaced.

There is still so much in there for today in the middle of the social revolution
Waseem
man this book sucked, I absolutely hated this book...wtf!...Is the author trying to showcase his skills in the use of metaphors and / or ...perhaps a thesaurus???....get to the point man....surely this guy writes about success and nowhere near it himself...

am not author, but my god, this honestly just didn't make sense, no point, no gold nuggets,..just no point...don't even remember what anything in the book was said now...

I honestly think hes having a conversation with himself out loud

Regards
Wa
Alex Curry
Egotistical crap.
Anna Poliakova
Jul 18, 2008 Anna Poliakova is currently reading it
Recommended to Anna by: Jonas Sørensen
It reminds us again about the things we know - that mass marketing is dead, and that the modern internet customer needs to be approached with authenticity, personality and customisation, tapping into what interests the customer already has
Del
Fantastic book, says more (and more accurately) about how to do business online than anything I've read since. Release a decade ago, it is at *least* as true now as it was then. Anyone who operates online must read this book.
Jake
I know, never judge a book..... but Winning Through Worst Practices, I had to pick this one up. As far as marketing books go, this one was just OK for me. The book never gave me a "I never thought of that" moment.
Jamie
While this book is amazingly out of date for being under 10 years old, it's still an okay read and I'm glad I picked it up.
Ebenezer Coffie
very good
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Alisa
Alisa marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Ryan Stellar
Ryan Stellar marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Cindy Yan
Cindy Yan marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Victoria Hoey
Victoria Hoey marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Lauren Amanda
Lauren Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Anas
Anas marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Neil Ball
Neil Ball marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Jascha
Jascha marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Marcel Olszewski
Marcel Olszewski marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Jscott
Jscott added it
Mar 11, 2015
Court Demone
Court Demone marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Lukasz
Lukasz added it
Feb 07, 2015
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Cluetrain Manifesto The Bombast Transcripts: Rants And Screeds Of Rage Boy Waiting for Grace & Other Poems End of American Magic Private Medical Practice