Start by marking “The Girl on the Train” as Want to Read:
The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the Train

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  985,683 Ratings  ·  85,646 Reviews
The debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even s
Published January 15th 2015 by Transworld (Random House) (first published January 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl on the Train, please sign up.

Emily May Having read both, I would say probably not. Though I agree with the person who said "it depends why you hated Gone Girl". I thought Gone Girl was too…moreHaving read both, I would say probably not. Though I agree with the person who said "it depends why you hated Gone Girl". I thought Gone Girl was too slow, especially in the first half, but I liked the grittiness. The Girl on the Train was fast-paced and creepier (in a good way, if you ask me). It took me a week to read Gone Girl and I read The Girl on the Train in a single sitting.

Similarities with Gone Girl: immoral/unconventional female narrators, psychological thriller, unreliable narrators, dark and gritty.

Differences: Faster-paced, more traditional mystery, more gripping (in my opinion), a very different kind of ending.(less)
Jean Labrador I had to force myself to continue reading this book, so it took longer than usual. I would not, not not, compare it to Gone Girl in any way. Gone Girl…moreI had to force myself to continue reading this book, so it took longer than usual. I would not, not not, compare it to Gone Girl in any way. Gone Girl was a good novel and well written. Disliked all of the characters in Girl on the Train immensely. Cannot understand why all the hype about this book. (less)

Emily May
Apr 02, 2015 Emily May rated it really liked it
"Something bad happened."

Are you ready for a faster-paced, creepier Gone Girl?

Woah. This is one unsettling little thriller and the best bit about it is that no one can be trusted, including the three female narrators who share the storytelling of this book. I literally read this entire novel in one sitting and I now need to find the words to convince you to go get your hands on it. RIGHT NOW.

Between an alcoholic, a liar and a cheat, who can you trust? These are the three women at the centre of
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I read this book due to the fact that everyone else read it.
Yes, mom I would jump off the cliff right behind everyone else.

These are some fucked up characters. I think the new trend in books where every one of the characters is an asshole may be the way to go if you are writing a book that you want to take the world by storm with. The thing is...It gets frigging boring. I wanted a bus to hit them all. Repeatedly.

May go sorta spoilery:
You have Rachel. Rachel is a drunk, she gets on the 8:04 tr
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Everyone in this book is absolutely terrible, and as a result, this book is a masterpiece in character study and development. It's also a well-written, precisely plotted psychological thriller, and deftly sketches one unreliable narrator after another. I guessed the culprit not too far into the book, but that didn't spoil my reading experience at all, particularly because the author drops so many diverting and convincing red herrings into the story.

I think it's also interesting that t
Alexandra
Jan 18, 2015 Alexandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Depressing from start to finish. Most every single character was a hot mess. I have literally no idea why there are so many 5 star ratings. It kind of scares me. If this kind of garbage is what the masses find appealing...I mean..

I didn't care at all about the "mystery." It didn't even feel like there was one. It just felt like a tedious glimpse into the messed up lives of people I'd rather not know anything about.

Regan
May 23, 2015 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
Good read but the ending fell a little flat for me
karen
Nov 27, 2015 karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-from-work
I once read a book by a former alcoholic where she described giving oral sex to two different men, men she'd just met in a restaurant on a busy London high street. I read it and I thought, I'm not that bad. This is where the bar is set.

oh, yeah - this one is going to be a must-read for those people looking to find their next Gone Girl experience. it's an incredibly fast-paced and engrossing psychological thriller, and i was on board as soon as i read the editor's bit of ARC-copy, even though i k
Michelle
Dec 28, 2016 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just sent a 3 page, 3,000 word email about why I didn't like this book to a friend, and I still feel the urge to express myself. I suppose that tells you just how much I disliked it.

This thing is a hot mess, the writing is clumsy, there are things that don't make any sense, the characters are pathetic and the opposite of complex. The women in this book are either defined by the men they are dating/married to, or by how they feel about being a mother (and by that I mean, do they already have a
Kemper
“Esssscuse me. Is this seat taken? Thanks. I like to sits bys the wimdow. Would you likes a little bit of wine? You know what they say, a little vino would be keen-o. No? Mores for me then. Oh, check it out. *BURP* WhatwasIsaying? Oh, sees that house over there going by? That used to be my house. True story. Me and my husbadand lived there. But the ole bastard cheated on me and lefts me and then he marriesss that stupid cow and then he knockeded her up and now they got a stupid cow kid and they ...more
Lisa
Holly
What a huge disappointment.
The concept sounded amazing, and it got off to a promising...if slow...start. But it quickly turned into this messy, melodramatic story that was neither surprising, or original. Much like in Gone Girl, there was not a single likable character in the entire book. That wasn't the main problem for me, though. I could see the ending coming from a mile away. Actually more like I figured out who the main villan was within the first 20 pages. Never a ringing endorsement.
Lola  Reviewer
May 09, 2016 Lola Reviewer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, adult

Pfffiou... I feel like I've been holding my breath for 325 pages and only now finally exhaled.
Steffi
Aug 08, 2016 Steffi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this review and more on my blog -> mereadingbooks

Caution. There might be some ranting ahead.

This has frequently been called the next Gone Girl. And yes, that is to some extend why I wanted to read this. I wanted something suspenseful; an unreliable narrator; and lots of “what the hell?!”- moments. Out of these three things I got one – an unreliable narrator. But one written so clumsily and shallow that I was annoyed, not intrigued, by her.

The plot’s mystery falls flat because it is done in s
Will Byrnes
I read this one out of curiosity. Aware that it had been a huge market success, I wondered if it merited the sales. According to Riverhead, The Girl on the Train is, or was, the fastest-selling adult hardcover fiction debut ever. And that is a shame. With so many great books being published every year that do little or no business, for this one to have secured a first class ticket on the book-sales express can only be dispiriting to the good and great writers everywhere toiling away in third cla ...more
Delee

4.5

Here we are 3 years after the release of Gone Girl- and every twisty turny page turning novel is STILL being compared. THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN is no exception...but that was not what caught my attention. What persuaded me??? Train...Witness to murder...Hitchcock...Rear Window. Those words will get me almost every time...

photo 5a2779ed-9602-4977-8e68-e473f47e48fe_zpsqf7hxzdo.jpg

Rachel is depressed, angry, and bitter. Gin and tonic- is her drink of choice- Wine comes in at a close second. Every day she takes the slow train from Asbury to Euston...and ev
Alejandro
Feb 23, 2015 Alejandro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, novel
All aboard!!!

TRUST NO ONE

I have lost control over everything, even the places in my head.

What? “Trust No One”? Why is that sign on the railroad of this review? Is this a “The X-Files” story? Oh, no, but certainly the motto of that iconic TV series is a good advice to anyone who dares to aboard this train of thought in this very particular journey to the minds of three women that you may think that they are quite different, but...

...maybe not...

...or maybe they do...

...mmh...

...remember abo
Joanne Harris
This was a perfectly decent, well-crafted thriller, which I happened not to like very much, for reasons that have little to do with its craft or its quality. This sometimes happens, and it doesn't mean that others won't enjoy it. The plot is fast-moving and with some real surprises. The portrayal of alcoholism is great (although I would have liked it to go further into the more visceral details, rather than skimming the surface of the theme).
However (and yes, I know it's trivial, but) the title
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2015 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the perfect weekend read. I settled into the story and spent most of Sunday (a dark and stormy afternoon) reading away.

Murder.
Public Drunkenness.
Infidelity.
Unreliable Narrators.

Treat Yo Self.
Raeleen Lemay
*3.5*

I feel like the main reason I didn't love this book was because of my expectations being way too high. I had heard that it was "the next Gone Girl", and I can completely understand where that comparison comes from. Later in the book, a couple of the characters actually reminded me very strongly of Nick and Amy, which kind of just seemed like too much. I wanted to read something along the same vein as Gone Girl, but not an exact replica. This wasn't an exact replica, but there were enough si
Mohammed Arabey
Jan 20, 2017 Mohammed Arabey rated it liked it
الصوت الرتيب لسير القطار الروتيني علي قضبانه

هل تحب الجلوس بجوار الشباك؟ هل تخيلت يوما حال سكان هذا البيت الجميل المطل علي قضبان السكة الحديد الذي تمر عليه يوميا؟

قد تنسج قصصهم في خيالك، إن كنت واسع الخيال
ربما تخيلتهم سعداء..لتعوض ما تعانيه من وحدة، فراغ، إرهاق لأدمانك للشراب
كتلك الفتاة..فتاة القطار

تعال معنا في "رحلة الصباح والمساء"..في القطار..حيث يقل ريتشل من وإلي لندن يوميا، قطار الساعة الثامنة صباحا والسادسة مساءا

تعال إن كنت لا تمانع سماع "حديث الصباح والمساء" من ثلاث شخصيات مختلفة
ثلاث نساء
يعا
Jeffrey Keeten
”Yesterday---sensible, clearheaded, right-thinking---I decided I must accept that my part in this story was over. But my better angels lost again, defeated by drink, by the person I am when I drink. Drunk Rachel sees no consequences, she is either excessively expansive and optimistic or wrapped up in hate. She has no past, no future. She exists purely in the moment. Drunk Rachel...lies.”

photo S20Stock20Train_zpsafcrgy2r.jpg
There are certainly worse ways to spend your day than riding an S stock train into London.

Rachel rides the tr
Debbie
Seems like this train took everyone to Gushland, but I got waylaid in Mediocre-ville. Comparing this book to Hitchcock is just laughable. Okay, okay, it does start out with intrigue, as the girl, Rachel, sits on the train day after day, and obsessively peeks at a house where she can see a man and a woman moving around. She gives them names and imagines a perfect life and perfect marriage for them. This voyeurism is pretty cool. A great beginning.

But I wish Rachel had stayed on the train. In fact
Jaidee
Nov 09, 2016 Jaidee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Half a "what the hell happened ?" star !!!

Original Review written October 3, 2016

Update : October 25, 2016 (mini review of the film !!)

A couple of days ago 4 single girls (well women in their forties and fifties), my bf (convinced him to join us and he agreed if I took him to Denny's afterwards) and myself went to see this film. This is the main reason I read the book as we had planned this outing for months and then I read the book just before the film came out.

As you prolly already know I abho
Debbie "DJ"
Looking for a great thriller? Look no further, the train has arrived. Paula Hawkins has written a tightly woven mystery with painful secrets and startling truths reveled along the way.

The main character Rachael, is a heavy drinker, whose life is teetering on the edge. She has lost her husband, and her job. Yet, she continues to ride the train into the city every day, pretending to go to work. Along the way, Rachael creates a story about a perfect couple who's home backs the tracks, a home just a
Franco  Santos
El hijo idiota de Gone Girl. Una decepción enorme.

El libro empezaba bien, con personajes bien desarrollados y una trama que prometía mucho. Sin embargo, conforme iba leyendo se iba volviendo lento y pesado. Daba vueltas alrededor de lo mismo y no avanzaba. También era cansino la mentira como herramienta para mantener el misterio. Si ese recurso se usa algunas veces, no hay problema, pero en La chica del tren se usa siempre. La autora no sabía qué hacer para mantener al lector enganchado y utili
Aj the Ravenous Reader

“There is something comforting at the sight of strangers safe at home.”

I admit that I’m no expert when it comes to this genre. In fact, as to date, I have only read three books including this that falls under this category, so I will have to base my review on the general impact of the novel to me to the best of my ability without any spoiler as I perfectly know that these kinds of books need to be read without spoiler.

In my personal opinion, this book passes the mystery-thriller-suspense-cr
Kai
Oct 24, 2016 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
“I have lost control over everything, even the places in my head.”

The Girl on the Train captivated me from the first to the last page. Everybody was so messed up: the alcoholic main character, the promiscous victim, the desperate houswive. And don't even get me started on their husbands.
The unreliable narrator made this book so spectacularly intruiging. Everybody could've done it. Everybody had a motive. None of them an alibi. I figured it out at some point, but kept telling myself that the auth
Darth J

This isn’t so much a mystery as it’s a character study. Once all of the major players are introduced it’s fairly obvious who done it, despite all of the red herrings. Here the characters are all living their own lives of quiet desperation, and that is precisely why this book has caught on: we can all identify somewhat with their situations.

Their lives haven’t turned out exactly as they planned; the people close to them aren’t whom they thought they were. From the outsider looking in, s
Helen Stavraki
Sep 29, 2016 Helen Stavraki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Υπάρχουν άνθρωποι που ζουν μονάχοι..."
Αυτό ακριβώς μου ηρθε στο μυαλό μόλις τελειωσα το "κορίτσι του τρένου",ακομη και
ο τίτλος παραπέμπει σε κατι αόριστο,ανώνυμο και παγερά αδιάφορο για τους άλλους.
Το κορίτσι του τρένου ειναι μια γυναίκα πληγωμένη,φοβισμένη,αυτοκαταστροφική,εμμονική και απίστευτα μόνη.
Διαβάζοντας το βίωσα απο κοντα τις σκέψεις και τις εμπειρίες μεσα απο το μυαλό εκείνης που καθημερινά προσπαθεί να επιβιώσει ενώ αισθάνεται πως ουσιαστικά κάποια προσωπικά της γεγονότα την έχουν
Emma Giordano
Oct 31, 2016 Emma Giordano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was INTOXICATING. I loved every single second of it. While I had gone into this story thinking it was going to be packed with suspenseful scenes, the mystery was really in the storytelling. It was unexpected but executed SOOOO well. A+ use of an unreliable narrator that propelled the story way beyond what I had originally anticipated. Not only was it extremely thrilling and kept me intrigued the entire time, but I seriously appreciated how accurate the representation of alcoholism was. ...more
Diane S ☔
Dec 28, 2014 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it
This was the last book read that I needed to complete my yearly challenge and it was fantastically suspenseful. More so when you consider that it is the authors first thriller.

Rachel is a hot mess, a shadow of her former shelf. Her husband has left her for another woman and they now have a child, a child Rachel wanted more than anything. Turning to drink, she has become an ugly drunk, lost her job, gained weight and doesn't remember what she has done, often blacking out.

She takes the same train
Literary Alliance : The Girl On The Train - January 2017 13 17 18 hours, 8 min ago
All About Books: The Girl on a Train - Group Fiction Read (January 2017) 37 57 Jan 19, 2017 03:20PM
What are your thoughts about the book ? 29 391 Jan 18, 2017 07:50PM
Likeability... 13 92 Jan 18, 2017 12:55PM
HMSA Reads: Book Review: The Girl on the Train 1 7 Jan 09, 2017 06:19PM
  • Finding Nouf (Nayir Sharqi & Katya Hijazi #1)
  • Finding Jake
  • Where They Found Her
  • The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #5)
  • Love Anthony
  • Defending Jacob
  • Fool Me Once
  • Early Warning (Last Hundred Years: A Family Saga, #2)
  • Pretty Girls
  • Disclaimer
  • The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy (Harold Fry, #2)
  • The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
  • After I'm Gone
  • Human Remains
  • The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat
  • The Burning Air
  • This is Where I Leave You
  • The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)
Paula Hawkins worked as a journalist for fifteen years before turning her hand to fiction.

Born and brought up in Zimbabwe, Paula moved to London in 1989 and has lived there ever since. The Girl on the Train is her first thriller.
More about Paula Hawkins...

“Hollowness: that I understand. I'm starting to believe that there isn't anything you can do to fix it. That's what I've taken from the therapy sessions: the holes in your life are permanent. You have to grow around them, like tree roots around concrete; you mold yourself through the gaps” 601 likes
“I have never understood how people can blithely disregard the damage they do by following their hearts.” 391 likes