Start by marking “The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)

The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time #8)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  77,944 Ratings  ·  1,230 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Jordan Delivers!

For volume eight of his enduring Wheel of Time saga, Robert Jordan brings us The Path of Daggers, a distinguished new addition in what is certainly one of the most involving, complicated, and adored series in the annals of high fantasy fiction. Jordan is highly proficient at weaving an elaborate plot full of convoluted affai

Audio, 0 pages
Published December 1st 2003 by New Millennium Press (first published October 20th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Path of Daggers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path of Daggers

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So . . . I debated long and hard about how to rate THE PATH OF DAGGERS, book 8 in Robert Jordan's WHEEL OF TIME . . . I think by now it's pretty obvious that I love this series, but . . .

1. No Mat.

Lik
Markus
Usually my reviewing style includes a plot synopsis at the beginning, but through experience I’ve come to the realisation that it’s most often a huge advantage when the book actually has a plot.

This was essentially Interlude: the Book. No plot development, no character development, no setting development, no... development. At all. And you don't need to tell me it gets worse. I know.

The chapters written from the viewpoint of the main protagonists are downright boring. Quite the opposite is true
Robin (Bridge Four)
Month 8 and Book 8 go hand in hand with my buds at Buddies Books & Baubles

description

This will forever be THE BOOK WITHOUT MAT....

When The Wheel of Time began there was Rand, Perrin and Mat. I didn't even like Mat very much. It wasn't until maybe book 3 or 4 (seriously they start to run together) that his character became semi interesting. Now he is one of my favorites and he is missing the entire book.

Instead we have Aes Sedea shenanigans. Really I'm still of the opinion that if you can channel the on
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The best thing I can say about The Path of Daggers is that it is significantly shorter than the last few novels have been -- only 700 pages (mass market paperback) compared to the 900-1100 page novels that have preceded it. There is much less of the repetitive backstory. I guess Mr. Jordan finally realized that new readers aren't jumping in at this point.

However, that's not to say that there are 700 pages of plot here, either. For again, most of the pages
James
Jun 28, 2010 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 8 of the Wheel of Time really gets a bad rap. Contrary to common wisdom, plenty happens in this book. The problem, I think, is that nothing gets resolved. (Not having any Mat, especially after the cliffhanger at the end of book 7, doesn't help either.) Is it ridiculous for a fantasy series to still be setting things up 8 books in? Especially when that series was supposed to be 6 books long? OK, yeah, it is. But taken by itself, The Path of Daggers isn't a bad story.

Oddly enough, the story b
Gavin
Aug 31, 2016 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was another fun instalment in the WoT series. Just like the last book plot advancement was moving at a snails pace but we did get a few interesting developments and the story was always entertaining. It is the characters, Jordan's storytelling, and the sheer size of the world that make this such a great fantasy series.

So what actually happened in this 8th WoT book?

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!

Most of our favourite characters went on much as the have been doing for the last few books!

Egwene - She
Choko
Aug 12, 2016 Choko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with the WoT fanatics at BB&B!

This book was a bit slower, a bit shorter and all together the book that felt most as a set-up, transition book of all up to now... The action was a bit choppy, which is not very typical for Jordan, but the banter made the book - all the characters with their quirks and the intricate games of hierarchy and politics, are deliciously masterful, but still, this book suffered form the lack of one of the main characters - Mat was MIA.... The
Ryan
Oct 26, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We tend to root for most anti-heroes, but every now and then, authors dare to set a real stinker at the centerpiece of their stories. Sometimes it works.

Logan Mountstewart from William Boyd's Any Human Heart comes to mind. Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer qualifies, I think. And before we certify all shepherds as pure-at-heart heroes, check out Halldor Laxness's Bjartur in Independent People.

But these are all examples drawn from the literary canon. What happens when fantasy, a genre often prone t
Evgeny
Jan 31, 2014 Evgeny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the slowest books of the series. Usually Mat saves the day even when nobody else does anything of value in a book, but this time Mat is not here. This is especially infuriating considering that his plot line ended in a huge cliffhanger in the previous book. Perrin's absence in book 5 is hardly noticeable; Mat's absence here is, especially considering the slow-moving overall plot.

It would be unfair to say that nothing at all happens here. I counted four fairly major events in the b
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
The epic Buddies Books & Baubles reread of the Wheel of Time is still in full swing as number 8 is moved to the DONE pile. As with the last book, this one was a slower paced read, but there was lots to enjoy. Except for the lack of Mat. Why Robert Jordan, why?!?!?

description

The stuff that went down: (view spoiler)
Maria Dimitrova
Monthly buddy read (well it was more stalking this time since I couldn't really participate in the discussion) with the fantasy fanatics over at BB&B.

This keeps on getting better and better! I can't get enough of this world! There're simply no words to describe this!

One of the major plotlines from the past several books finally found it's resolution - the Bowl of Winds was finally used and the weather is on it's way to normal. Though I guess that going from extreme heat and drought to torre
Phrynne
May 14, 2014 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and what a great series this is turning out to be. There was a lot more action in this one (which is number 8) and a lot of character development. I am listening to the series on audio book and was quite surprised when it suddenly finished right in the middle of so many major events. Now I have to start straight into the next book. How lucky they are all published and I do not have to wait weeks or even years for the next instalment!
Richard Bray
I’m starting to wonder if I’ve made a mistake in deciding that I wanted to complete THE WHEEL OF TIME by reading all the books in the series consecutively. With THE PATH OF DAGGERS now under my belt, I’m eight books into the 14-book saga, and I can’t honestly say that I feel any closer to the conclusion than I was three or four books ago.

When I began reading THE WHEEL OF TIME, I was a senior in high school, so I was able to read the first seven or eight books consecutively without having to wait
Kaitlin
Dec 08, 2014 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled knowing what to rate this book as at first because I didn't live it as much as the previous 2 all the way through and it did seem a little slower in places, however I did think that it was filled with some interesting things and events. In the end I had to rate it a 4*s because it still interested me. I would have like it to be longer (as many have said) and more dramatic at the ending, but overall it was a good addition in the series.

One thing I enjoyed in this book was the return
Ivana Azap Feješ
Mar 13, 2015 Ivana Azap Feješ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
There wasn't very much of Met in this book (I guess everyone need a break at some point of this looong story;)), so I will reminiscence on some details about Mat, that is the best bloody character I've ever read!!!

Blood and bloody ashes! -Mat Cauthon, all the time

"I read a book once." -Mat Cauthon

“It was a simple truth; the Creator made women so men would not find life too easy.” - Matrim Cauthon

"Yes, I'm alive. I'm usually pretty good at staying alive. I've only failed one time that I can remem
David
I congratulate everyone who has the perseverance to continue on while envying those who had the force of will to just forget about how this epic story is supposed to end. Here we are at book 8 and like book 7, very little of the main plot actually happens. Most of the book are again devoted to describing in excruciating detail of how the main characters tend to act and think, with very little variation, mostly accomplishing nothing except introduce filler and making characters feel one-dimension ...more
 Adriana ♩♪
I am still reading and enjoying the WoT series. I don't want to sound emotional, but I love this series and had (and still have) a great time participating in the WoT discussions.
This book was short but packed with exciting events in the end. I'm looking forward to know what's going to happen next.
I delayed starting The Path of Daggers for 2 months because I was so angry about Tylin's actions in A Crown of Swords. I actually came pretty close to quitting this series for good but I've already read 7 books (close to 6,000 pages!) so I'm not about to let one character ruin it for me, especially when friends told me that character is completely absent from this book. So I finally dove back into this world and I'm really glad I did. I actually think the short break did me good because all the ...more
Allison
A Path of Daggers is the low point for me in the Wheel of Time series. It can easily be summed up as various groups of catty women vying for superiority over each other. Seriously, the first third consists of Elayne and Nynaeve, Aviendha, Birgitte, the rebel Aes Sedai with them, the Sea Folk, and the Kin, all trying to out-do each other on the way to the Farm. Once they get to the Farm, (view spoiler). Th ...more
Kyle
Nov 11, 2012 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wheel of Time series represents, for me, the perfect example of a guilty pleasure in the world of fantasy.

This series is not actually written very well. Robert Jordan was not a very good wordsmith, and he really only knew how to say and describe things one way. His characters are generally unbelievable, and have ridiculous dialogue. The plot is tremendously predictable, and is heavily influenced (close to the point of being unoriginal) by the fantasy works that came before. The whole story i
Skip
Jun 15, 2008 Skip rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Emerson
Dec 15, 2016 Emerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-em-2016
"Fire and ice, and death was coming. But he was steel. He was steel."

Comecei a ler esse livro com expectativas bem baixas devido comentários dos fãs, mas acabei me surpreendendo bastante.
Até a metade é bem parado, só um ou outro capítulo do Perrin e o restante das meninas, o que não foi ruim, dado as circunstâncias (se tivesse capítulos do Mat seria melhor).
Egwene me surpreende cada vez mais, até estou começando a gostar dela. Ela tem novas responsabilidades, mas é tratada como uma marionete. Ao
Jonathan

There are no beginnings or endings to the Wheel of Time series but there is plenty of room for re-reading. However, unfortunately - at least for myself - this is the point in the series where everything started to become slow. I don't find that it became any less enjoyable, but nothing really happens in this book and in the two following. From books 8 to 10 the material could easily have been condensed into one solid 800 page novel rather than three separate 600 to 800 page novels.

What Robert Jo
Gary
It has its moments

I returned to this series after having given up on it long ago. A big part of the reason I made the decision to do this was the quality of Brandon Sanderson's solo writing. I realized he had finished the series, and thought that if I could just wade through some of these slower paced books I would finally find out how this ends.
That is still my plan, and the attitude with which I am reviewing this book.
There are moments in this story that reveal the author's skill. The charac
Doğan
Mar 18, 2016 Doğan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Olaylar, olaylar... Genel itibari ile güzel kitaptı. Anlatacak çok şey var ama spoiler olur. Aes Sedailerin gıcıklığı, Perrin'in saflığı ve Rand'ın kestirelemez hareketleri devam ediyor.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Cliffhangers! One after another! I can't stand it! Everybody could die! Not a single thread resolved! Damn you, Robert Jordan!

Usually I write a million words reviewing a book I finished, but not this time. First of all, 'Path of Daggers' is book 8 in a long series. Nothing I write about the characters and the plot will have any meaningful sense. The books must be read in order. If you are curious about 'The Wheel of Time series', the best place to start is with Book 1, The Eye of the World. The
Pedro António
The series' pace is supposed to slow down starting with The Path of Daggers and it surely wasn't exageration.

Overall I feel like an actual quote from the book describes it perfectly: "Weiramon heard him and repeated the same thing, but using twenty times the words, and flowery enough for a garden in spring.". The long, verbose clothing descriptions are back, and so is skirt smoothing and all the recurring traits that prevent the series from being even better than it is.

The pacing is all over t
Roberta Jayne
It's becoming a bloody pattern with these books! An endless cycle! I keep expecting more from each book and from the characters, but instead I feel like I'm getting less and less. I keep thinking YES it will be during this book that it all kicks off in The White Tower or YES it'll be in this book etc etc where something happens, but it never does!! Major events that keep being mentioned or planned are being put on the shelf for ages. How many times has Rand said that he's going to get rid of the ...more
Ed B
Dec 08, 2007 Ed B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah. This is where I stopped reading Jordan's Epic series. Why? It probably had to do with the fact that I was reading them as they came out on paperback--which I was at a rate of about 1 a year until after book #6, then it was once every other year. I have a short attention span, and an even shorter memory. In the middle of this book, I realized that I had so forgotten which characters were which--and what plot line in which they were involved--that I could not identify with them anymore. I di ...more
I'm not sure if it's growing worse or if the repetition of it is finally getting to me, but I can no longer stand how the women in this series are portrayed. They're always in a snit over something, crossing their arms under their breasts, glaring down their noses at those silly men, or bickering with each other. Half the time, I have no idea what they're upset about - and I'm a woman. It's annoying and is seriously detracting from what is a magnificent scope of a story. Although I'm intrigued b ...more
The Not a Book Cl...: POD: Part 6(Chapters 25-End) 10 3 2 hours, 47 min ago
The Not a Book Cl...: POD: Part 5(Chapters 19-24) 5 2 Jan 18, 2017 09:55PM
The Not a Book Cl...: POD: Part 4(Chapters 13-18) 4 3 Jan 16, 2017 11:35AM
The Not a Book Cl...: POD: Part 3(Chapters 9-12) 7 4 Jan 12, 2017 09:41AM
The Not a Book Cl...: POD: Part 2(Chapters 4-8) 8 3 Jan 09, 2017 03:55PM
The Not a Book Cl...: POD: Part 1(Prologue-Chapter 3) 4 4 Jan 03, 2017 04:03AM
  • Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3)
  • At the Gates of Darkness (The Demonwar Saga, #2)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • The Bonehunters (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Fire Sea (The Death Gate Cycle, #3)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose above the great mountainous island of Tremalking. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.” 74 likes
“A secret spoken finds wings.” 23 likes