Start by marking “Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)

Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,464 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
With its supersonic fighter-bombers capable of leveling an entire city, the Nimitz-Class aircraft carrier is the most powerful military machine on the planet. When the Thomas Jefferson vaporizes into a mushroom cloud, a stunned Navy calls it a nuclear accident. But Navy maverick Bill Balbridge uncovers evidence that points to a renegade submarine commander with a hidden a ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Heyne (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Nimitz Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nimitz Class

David
Feb 22, 2009 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Nimitz Class has a decent plot, a lot of interesting technical information about submarines, carrier fleets, and Naval operations. ON the surface this book had the potential of being a Tom Clancy class Naval thriller. However, the author dropped the ball by rushing his story telling.

One would think that a terrorist/spy/mole could be found simply by going to a naval base in Scotland and examining the records of all who had passed through their special submarine school. The author rushes the tale
E. P.
May 22, 2016 E. P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The shooter, his eyes glued on the cockpit, saluted, bending his knees and touching two fingers of his left hand onto the deck. Skip Martin gestured: "Forward." A crewman, kneeling in the catwalk narrowly to the left of the big fighter jet, hit the button on catapult three, and ducked as the outrageous mechanism hurled the Hornet on its way, screaming down the deck, its engines burning flat out, leaving an atomic blast of air in its wake. Everyone watched, even veterans almost holding their bre ...more
Rob Trans
Nimitz Class - This book is a mixed bag. The author is at his best when describing the Navy and naval actions. The book is awkward when he is trying to, what I believe to be, humanizing the characters. There is a lot of material in the book that could have been edited out without damaging the main plot. It might even have built suspense.

The first 5th is a somewhat tedious intro to numerous characters and carrier battle group procedures and lingo. Many of these characters do not survive the firs
Jerry
May 29, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, 2012

An interesting and technically accurate read that, while it held my attention, came across as rather flat and one-dimensional. Not the edge of my seat, nail biting, cat-mouse suspenseful Naval drama I was hoping for. This was not the US Navy in action. Instead we have a LCDR, and a couple US and British Admirals who are able to figure everything out effortlessly and come up with everything with a brief time out for the Seals to retaliate against the wrong country. Not much drama here.
Andreas
Oct 07, 2011 Andreas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Patrick Robinson’s debut is a passable technothriller about a Nimitz class carrier getting destroyed. While it has many Clancy-like traits, it fails when it moves out of the military and into the political and administrative arenas. Cool submarine stuff though.

Carnivorous Mower
Well, this took a shitload longer to read than it should have. While the plot was just as fantastical and huge and messy and destructive as his other books, I think this was his first. As a result, the book got too bogged down in technical detail, and the action didn’t flow. There were the big explosive set-pieces like the nuclear attack on the aircraft carrier, and the destruction of the Iranian subs in port, but the bits in between were a bit too drawn out. Most of the characters were like car ...more
Paul
Jun 15, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A good and suspenseful story that kept me reading and wanting more The storyline is believable, the characters are well-drawn, descriptions are detailed without being intrusive into the story, and the author has clearly done his homework in technical aspects of the story.
The only two things marring the book are its gratuitous and inaccurate right-wing political remarks and the laughable notion that $5 million could be fit into a suitcase. The idea that a million dollars could be fit into a suitc
David
Jan 08, 2016 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often give up on a novel I've started, but after 125 pages I set this one down and opted to read something else. Nimitz Class has a decent premise for a thriller (the unexpected destruction of an aircraft carrier in a nuclear explosion), but eventually I got the sense that its true aim is to proclaim that the American battle group (i.e., an aircraft carrier and accompanying vessels) is, by threat of violence, the single greatest force for peace in the world. One way to make that claim w ...more
Neil
Even with a third reading, the book moved at a good pace. The characters and character development were believable, as were the various levels of relationships; the characters and emotions were relatable. I thought the author did a great job with this novel.

This novel involves an unthinkable scenario - a diesel-powered submarine manages to infiltrate a Carrier Battle Group's various screens and manages to sink a Nimitz-class carrier [previously believed to have been impregnable], followed by the
Anthony
Jun 10, 2013 Anthony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2013reads
If you are looking for a naval thriller in the same theme as Clancy or Larry Bond then I highly recommend this book. If you are expecting character development that is believable then look to the previous mentioned authors (in Clancy's case his earlier books). Set in current times you are given a ride on a nuclear carrier battle group operating in tenacious waters. The Thomas Jefferson is America's newest technologically advanced aircraft carrier and it's mission is to keep the Persian Gulf and ...more
Dan Smith
Jul 30, 2014 Dan Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remember Lone Survivor? this was the writer that helped Marcus Lutrell tell that true story of his survival.

this is the story of the search for the person responsible for the destruction of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier.. A rogue middle easterner has infiltrated the Israelly Navy for years and "buys" the russian sub used.. It is up to the Americans to find the sub and destroy it.

Outstanding story. Patrick Robinson has hit a home run on everything I have read thus far..
kranthi balusu
Jun 21, 2014 kranthi balusu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible book, especially if you have read Alistair MAcLean or Tom Clancy. Plot offers very little. Written by a Tea party fanatic. Very insulting to other nationalities. Very little understanding of world politics or democracy. Has a soft corner for Aristocracy. "good breeding". Nevertheless gives a few insights into command structures and modern militaries.
Santosh Kumar
Jan 25, 2016 Santosh Kumar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was my second book of Patrick Robinson (the first being "Kilo Class". this book is a thrilling page turner from begining till the end of page (literally till last page). thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. its an absolute stunner of a book :)). looking forward to read "Baracuda 965" by the same author and get the same thrilling experience.
Lis
Jan 03, 2016 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books
Un discreto "tecnothriller" militare ambientato nel mondo della marina, tra portaerei e sottomarini.
In certi punti, in particolare nel finale, risulta un po' troppo veloce nella narrazione. Un buon libro "alla Clancy", senza però la stessa complessità e completezza, lo stesso livello di dettaglio e la stessa tensione.
Andrew Waltho
Sep 06, 2015 Andrew Waltho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rollicking adventure and action story. Arnold Morgan is clearly being established as a character for a series of stories but is quite an unlikeable, arrogant, bombastic personality, with little subtlety. Still, Nimitz Class is entertaining, if without the attention to detail that Tom Clancy delivers in books in this genre.
Vivek Agarwal
Good book
Heavy on facts
I like these facts about carriers
About the massive power of the US Navy
The ending is too quick and leaves me thinking what happened to enemy no. 1

All considered I was able to complete this book in a very short time

I think it's a good read
Joseph
Jan 16, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is about an aircraft carrier that got torpedoed by a "rented" Russian submarine and what the government and the Navy did to find them and get some payback. A little outdated and just a bit over the top but that's why they cal it fiction. this is the first in a series and I will be reading the next one in the future.
Dimitrios
Although I 3 star rated it, I will include it in my best techno thriller shelve because the author knows his tech.

Even if he lost control of the plot and made a few "convenient" intelligence-appears-as-if-buy-magic jumps, I liked it and I loved the main character.

I recommend it for what it is...a very enjoyable read if you want to suspend disbelief.
Walkernot
I liked the story; I found it easy to read, but to much detail in places I thought it did not need it: when the characters go to a meeting with the president, the book details who is sitting where at the conference table. It full of details.
Mark P
Feb 15, 2016 Mark P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked setting into the minds of various characters at the same time

The story is laid out in such a way that you feel like a fly on the wall listening to the inner voices of various characters at the same time. Anyone who likes a suspense with a military twist still enjoy this book.
The only downside is that it hops all around the world giving you only latitude and longitude. However if you have google maps handy, you'll be fine.
Deborah Stone
Apr 12, 2016 Deborah Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! Loved the characters, the military planning, all the details. I found myself reading with an Atlas at hand so I could look up the locations of the military missions and track their progress.
David Rubin
Lots of "technico" in the first book of this military thriller series. But, the book lacks character development; the good guys are all the greatest and smartest of their type and are completely flawless. With such great personalities, potentials, educations, and intellects one can only wonder why they all end up in the military and are not running some super-profitable hedge-fund.

Not every author can be a John le Carre, but a little more humanity would go a long way toward making the character
Scott T Tracey
Terrific read

The author is a master at breaking down complex situations and weaving a spellbinding story. Both entertaining and thought provoking.
Tina
Jul 05, 2016 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Patrick Robinson! He takes you right into the heart of the drama, sucks you in and doesn't let go until the very last page. I finished this book and wanted more. I can't wait to get some more of his books. These are books I'm going to keep and not read & donate.
Greg Gates
Dec 26, 2014 Greg Gates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fiction - This one makes you think - what if this actually happened? Then it keeps you glued to the book to find out how they did this and who was responsible...
P
Sep 03, 2013 P rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this on audio book several years ago. As a Tom Clancy fan, I thought it would be similar to his writing--nope! Starts off strong, but Robinson moves the story too quickly. Just like the movies "Independence Day," "Sum of All Fears" and others, the plot includes events with massive casualties and there is no discussion of even the public's reaction. "Well, 5000 naval personnel have just been wiped out...let's carry on with our work..." Written four years before 9/11.

Suddenly, we know
Kristoffer Maron
I've read this on a bus ride to Baguio. Quite thrilling although it doesn't beat the thrilling hunt in The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Matt Norby
This was a pretty long audiobook (13 CD's), but I enjoyed the story. George Guidall did a great job narrating.
Kent Beck
A solid paranoid military-techno thriller. Won't change your life but will exercise your eyeballs.
Kevin
Jul 02, 2013 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book began well, with a good mix of mystery and techno-thriller. Then, the author immediately reveals who sank the carrier, and the rest of the book becomes a poorly written chase sequence around the world. To top it all off, the identity of the culprit was just about as unrealistic as you can get. According to this book, a fifth-rate power with no submarine experience and no nuclear capability somehow managed to use both to sink a carrier.

In conclusion, read it if you are really bored or at
  • Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • Fortunes of War
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)