Start by marking “An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives ” as Want to Read:
An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives

An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Why are most of us so woefully uninformed about our kitchen knives? We are intimidated by our knives when they are sharp, annoyed by them when they are dull, and quietly ashamed that we don't know how to use them with any competence. For a species that has been using knives for nearly as long as we have been walking upright, that's a serious problem. An Edge in the Kitchen...more
Published June 10th 2008 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about An Edge in the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Edge in the Kitchen

Gareth Bogdanoff
Okay, I will make this simple. You need to read this book. Unless you hire your own chef to cook all of your meals, or you just eat out all the time, you need to know how to use and take care of your knives. And most importantly, you need to know how to buy a knife without spending a fortune.

Chad Ward spells it all out for you, and he does so in a surprisingly easy to read manner. I can't recommend this book enough.
Angela
Chad Ward has written a very readable book on knives, and I was certainly interested in learning more on the topic. The tone is entertaining, the photos are nice, and the detail on sharpening knives is very good.

There's a lot of repetition in the book, which is probably helpful for using it as a reference book when you're only reading a chapter or two here and there, but read cover to cover I found myself skimming over bits that had previously been elaborated. The shocking! knife! myths! assume...more
Liz DeCoster
Jan 11, 2011 Liz DeCoster rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: David Travis
Shelves: hobbies
If you're interested in knives, I'd recommend purchasing this book. The book is roughly divided into thirds - purchasing knives, knife skills, and sharpening knives. All three sections were equally exhaustive, which is why I suggest purchasing the book: it would be hard to absorb all the details in one read-through. The first section on purchasing knives has information on what to look for in knives and where to find them. Ward asserts that traditional markers of quality in knives don't need to...more
Bruce Nordstrom
This is a great book to teach you everything you need to know about using kitchen knives. Lots to know-some of which I did not-about safety. Facts about the types of steel to choose from. Blade shapes. Handle materials. this book is a big help for anyone it the kitchen.
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Thoroughly enjoyed reading An Edge in the Kitchen and have learned a lot that has helped improve my technique, feel more confident, improved the edge of my knives, the quality of food preparation and the balance of my bank account! Loved the playful but very informative and instructional content. Covers everything from metallurgy, choosing a knife, using it and sharpening it including the Pinch, Claw and a variety of cuts such as julienne and brunoise which I all use in my everyday cooking. Base...more
Rick Ballard
This is an excellent resource for learning more about how to buy, use, and maintain knives and cutting boards. I had a fair amount of knowledge in this area already but I still learned a huge amount of immediately useful stuff from this read. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who spends a decent amount of time in the kitchen and wants to get the most out of their knives.

Unfortunately this book is marred by terrible typography and layout design, and it repeats some bits here and there verbatim...more
Rosariom
initial sections are a bit too technically detailed, but afterwards it get interesting and full of good advice.
Jeff
A very good book on knives, though repetitive in a few parts, it covered some history of dining culture, metallurgy, sharpening techniques and food preparation in a captivating way. Before the book was done I had pulled out my primary chef's knife for another sharpening and with Chad Ward's instructions made some distinct improvements on the first try.

The book could have benefited from slightly tighter editing around the main points, and perhaps the tone drifts towards that of an internet scold...more
Clay
Great overview of knives, knife use, and knife maintenance. Ward writes with flare that is easy to follow and enjoyable to read. He makes the topic of sharpening and upkeep approachable and non-intimidating, which is a difficult task in my mind. This will be an excellent reference book for years and years.
Tony
review Seems quite comprehensive and friendly. Lots on knife selection and use. Very thorough on sharpening--read the section on making a compound bevel, or the ones on sandpaper and leather hones. It is a little weak on steel composition though it goes deep enough to make you want more.
Anthony Wilson
Chris Mower
I found this book extremely enlightening and useful. A little repetitive at times, but overall, a delightful read and well worth the time. I've written a much longer review on my cooking site: Click here to read it.
Maxim
The best resource I've found for understanding how to select, sharpen, and otherwise care for kitchen knives. I didn't think the middle section about kitchen knife skills (slicing, dicing, etc.) was as strong, but I also didn't need as much help in that area.
Dave
If you're interested in kitchen knives I imagine this is the best book around to teach you about them. If you're not interested in the purchasing, care and maintenance of said knives I'd wager you would find this book epically useless.
Debra
Feb 01, 2011 Debra rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Knive enthusiasts
I read about half of it and put it down meaning to get back to it. I just never did. I was a bit to technical and gave me more information about knives than I ever needed to know.
dennis demski
Excellent book by an author who wants to get the truth out about knives, how to use them in the kitchen and who isnt trying to sell his brand. Excellent informative book.
This book helped me choose an excellent knife and showed me how to use it and care for it properly. Just need more practice practice practice to get myself fine-tuned!
Alpha
Mar 29, 2009 Alpha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
An excellent reference for kitchen knives.

Which reminds me, I really should get my knife sharpened.
Beverly
Everything you ever wanted to know about, cutting slicing, chopping and more.
Elliot
Skimmed some, read some and I was very impressed by all of it.
Deanna Knippling
Clearly written and inspiring for sharp knives.
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Patrick Moynihan
Patrick Moynihan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Tom Fogleman
Tom Fogleman marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Fernando Calcaterra
Fernando Calcaterra marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014