Start by marking “An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives ” as Want to Read:
An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives

An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Why are most of us so woefully uninformed about our kitchen knives? We are intimidated by our knives when they are sharp, annoyed by them when they are dull, and quietly ashamed that we don't know how to use them with any competence. For a species that has been using knives for nearly as long as we have been walking upright, that's a serious problem. An Edge in the Kitchen ...more
Published June 10th 2008 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about An Edge in the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Edge in the Kitchen

Gareth Bogdanoff
Oct 16, 2008 Gareth Bogdanoff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Okay, I will make this simple. You need to read this book. Unless you hire your own chef to cook all of your meals, or you just eat out all the time, you need to know how to use and take care of your knives. And most importantly, you need to know how to buy a knife without spending a fortune.

Chad Ward spells it all out for you, and he does so in a surprisingly easy to read manner. I can't recommend this book enough.
Angela
Sep 23, 2009 Angela rated it liked it
Chad Ward has written a very readable book on knives, and I was certainly interested in learning more on the topic. The tone is entertaining, the photos are nice, and the detail on sharpening knives is very good.

There's a lot of repetition in the book, which is probably helpful for using it as a reference book when you're only reading a chapter or two here and there, but read cover to cover I found myself skimming over bits that had previously been elaborated. The shocking! knife! myths! assume
Liz De Coster
Jan 11, 2011 Liz De Coster rated it liked it
Recommends it for: David Travis
Shelves: hobbies
If you're interested in knives, I'd recommend purchasing this book. The book is roughly divided into thirds - purchasing knives, knife skills, and sharpening knives. All three sections were equally exhaustive, which is why I suggest purchasing the book: it would be hard to absorb all the details in one read-through. The first section on purchasing knives has information on what to look for in knives and where to find them. Ward asserts that traditional markers of quality in knives don't need to ...more
Neill Tumulac
Jun 18, 2015 Neill Tumulac rated it liked it
I think anyone who cooks should read this book. The obsession with kitchen knives always leads to misinformation. What's good? What's bad? When price seems to be the only thing that makes sense between a good knife and a bad knife, then perhaps it's time to learn a thing or two before going out and just buying the most expensive one. Great book, informs the user, so they don't have to rely on marketing to purchase a knife.
Bruce Nordstrom
Jul 06, 2014 Bruce Nordstrom rated it really liked it
This is a great book to teach you everything you need to know about using kitchen knives. Lots to know-some of which I did not-about safety. Facts about the types of steel to choose from. Blade shapes. Handle materials. this book is a big help for anyone it the kitchen.
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Mar 18, 2012 Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed reading An Edge in the Kitchen and have learned a lot that has helped improve my technique, feel more confident, improved the edge of my knives, the quality of food preparation and the balance of my bank account! Loved the playful but very informative and instructional content. Covers everything from metallurgy, choosing a knife, using it and sharpening it including the Pinch, Claw and a variety of cuts such as julienne and brunoise which I all use in my everyday cooking. Base ...more
Rick Ballard
Jan 20, 2013 Rick Ballard rated it really liked it
This is an excellent resource for learning more about how to buy, use, and maintain knives and cutting boards. I had a fair amount of knowledge in this area already but I still learned a huge amount of immediately useful stuff from this read. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who spends a decent amount of time in the kitchen and wants to get the most out of their knives.

Unfortunately this book is marred by terrible typography and layout design, and it repeats some bits here and there verbatim
Rosariom
Feb 21, 2014 Rosariom rated it really liked it
initial sections are a bit too technically detailed, but afterwards it get interesting and full of good advice.
Jeff
Oct 11, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
A very good book on knives, though repetitive in a few parts, it covered some history of dining culture, metallurgy, sharpening techniques and food preparation in a captivating way. Before the book was done I had pulled out my primary chef's knife for another sharpening and with Chad Ward's instructions made some distinct improvements on the first try.

The book could have benefited from slightly tighter editing around the main points, and perhaps the tone drifts towards that of an internet scold
Clay
Jan 04, 2014 Clay rated it really liked it
Great overview of knives, knife use, and knife maintenance. Ward writes with flare that is easy to follow and enjoyable to read. He makes the topic of sharpening and upkeep approachable and non-intimidating, which is a difficult task in my mind. This will be an excellent reference book for years and years.
Tony
Dec 28, 2010 Tony rated it it was amazing
review Seems quite comprehensive and friendly. Lots on knife selection and use. Very thorough on sharpening--read the section on making a compound bevel, or the ones on sandpaper and leather hones. It is a little weak on steel composition though it goes deep enough to make you want more.
Anthony Wilson
Dec 28, 2010 Anthony Wilson rated it it was amazing
Chris Mower
Sep 07, 2011 Chris Mower rated it really liked it
I found this book extremely enlightening and useful. A little repetitive at times, but overall, a delightful read and well worth the time. I've written a much longer review on my cooking site: Click here to read it.
Maxim
Dec 04, 2012 Maxim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best resource I've found for understanding how to select, sharpen, and otherwise care for kitchen knives. I didn't think the middle section about kitchen knife skills (slicing, dicing, etc.) was as strong, but I also didn't need as much help in that area.
Dave
Sep 09, 2009 Dave rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in kitchen knives I imagine this is the best book around to teach you about them. If you're not interested in the purchasing, care and maintenance of said knives I'd wager you would find this book epically useless.
Debra
Feb 01, 2011 Debra rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Knive enthusiasts
I read about half of it and put it down meaning to get back to it. I just never did. I was a bit to technical and gave me more information about knives than I ever needed to know.
dennis demski
Jun 16, 2013 dennis demski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: demski-bookshelf
Excellent book by an author who wants to get the truth out about knives, how to use them in the kitchen and who isnt trying to sell his brand. Excellent informative book.
Jan 01, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, nonfiction, 2010
This book helped me choose an excellent knife and showed me how to use it and care for it properly. Just need more practice practice practice to get myself fine-tuned!
Alpha
Mar 29, 2009 Alpha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
An excellent reference for kitchen knives.

Which reminds me, I really should get my knife sharpened.
Beverly
Jul 11, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it
Everything you ever wanted to know about, cutting slicing, chopping and more.
Elliot
Jan 02, 2009 Elliot rated it it was amazing
Skimmed some, read some and I was very impressed by all of it.
DeAnna Knippling
Nov 03, 2010 DeAnna Knippling rated it it was amazing
Clearly written and inspiring for sharp knives.
Gregory
Jan 18, 2009 Gregory rated it it was amazing
awesome
Ryan
Ryan added it
Apr 26, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Andrea Lomaestro
Andrea Lomaestro rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Nirimba College
Nirimba College marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
  • Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why They Work
  • The Secrets of Baking: Simple Techniques for Sophisticated Desserts
  • When French Women Cook: A Gastronomic Memoir
  • The Essential Cuisines of Mexico: Revised and updated throughout, with more than 30 new recipes.
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner
  • Modernist Cuisine at Home
  • The Escoffier Cookbook: and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures
  • The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every Kitchen
  • Making Artisan Pasta: How to Make a World of Handmade Noodles, Stuffed Pasta, Dumplings, and More
  • A Return to Cooking