Start by marking “The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry” as Want to Read:
The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry

Read Book

The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry

Poems emphasizing the personal aspect of poetry, from Walt Whitman's vision of America to Maya Angelou's remembrances of her mother. Other poets include Sandburg, Frost, Ginsburg, Browning, Sexton, Yeats, Lowell, Levertov, & more.

This is an out-of-print edition.
Published May 1st 1996 by Park Lane (first published April 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry

Jon-Paul
Jan 18, 2012 Jon-Paul rated it it was amazing
I've marked this book as read, but, really, a book like this is never truly finished. It's the kind of thing you just keep reading and if you own a Kindle this is one of the best poetry anthologies out there for it.
Eric Steere
Sep 18, 2011 Eric Steere rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Thank you Burns. There are better collections out there for sure, but I like the inclusion of so many contemporary authors, and especially glad to see a collection that isn't demonstrably politically correct WASP-y. THis anthology doesn't apologize. Glad to see Sandburg along the likes of Creeley, too much Langston Hughes, Sexton, and where is T. Hughes? The possiblities of an anthology are of course limited, I don't recommend this anthology and would instead recommend shorter more pointed colle ...more
Nicole
May 07, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway.

This is the ultimate collection for the long-time poetry lover or for those who are just "dipping their toes in the pond". I read old favorites and undiscovered gems. I finished the book in two day but have since carried it around with me everywhere. I even read a poem or two a night to my thirteen year old daughter who I found shares my affinity to Romantics. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone, anywhere at anytime; the words within have t
Julie
Apr 27, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All readers
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. The introduction is well written and charming. The anthology is arranged thematically rather than chronologically. Reading this book taught me a little about myself. It has been 31 years (yikes!) since I got my B.A. in English, and in the years since I have indulged in the luxury of only reading poets I like. This anthology reminded me of the scope of poetry and its themes.
Cathy
Jan 11, 2010 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, kindle
Wow, this is an amazingly good collection! Burns is a great anthologist -- the poems are arranged so that they reflect or comment on each other.

I bought it for the Kindle -- I probably have a quarter or more of the poems already in various physical books, but this lets me carry them along wherever I go. I don't usually read poetry anthologies straight through, from cover to cover, but this one I did.
James
May 31, 2013 James marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So far the good poems are sparse, but I am not far into the book. All are well written, but much of the substance is questionable. The first poem is on how God created the world because he was bored. Not very illuminating, and quite untrue if one is consulting special revelation. However, I would be pleased to find at least 20 gems in this anthology. I suspect that I will. I will share them as I do.
Shannan
Mar 26, 2010 Shannan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, poetry
One of the best anthologies I've read. The chapter on love poems was my favorite because they included the dark poems one seldom reads about love and relationships that were sometimes funny sometimes sad but always very very true.
Victoria Slotto
Apr 22, 2012 Victoria Slotto rated it it was amazing
The is a "best of" collection that I keep handy on my Kindle at all times. The anthology features renowned poets of the English language and is a must-have for all writers and readers of poetry. If you are a poet, dip into it when you're feeling stuck. The poems are organized by theme.
Tom
Jun 05, 2011 Tom rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection - one of the first books to go on my kindle. Great for dipping
Kevin Albrecht
Jul 09, 2012 Kevin Albrecht rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, ebook
I've always been skeptical of poetry collections, but this one is so well collected and organized that I can't help but love it.
Darren
Nov 14, 2007 Darren rated it it was amazing
Simply Amazing!
Will
Will rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2016
Fenia
Fenia rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2013
mohammad
mohammad rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Emily B
Emily B rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2017
Kirsten E. Mitchell
Kirsten E. Mitchell rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2016
Rico
Rico rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Deborah Vietze
Deborah Vietze rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Kay
Kay rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2017
Maayan Yablonova
Maayan Yablonova rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2017
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Morris Nelms
Morris Nelms rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
Travis
Travis rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Glenn
Glenn rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Joe Jeney
Joe Jeney rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Betsy-Gay Kraft
Betsy-Gay Kraft rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
Raeden Zen
Raeden Zen rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Petronilla
Petronilla rated it it was ok
May 28, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Teófilo Moreira
Teófilo Moreira rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Heart of Haiku (Kindle Single)
  • The Open Door: One Hundred Poems, One Hundred Years of "Poetry" Magazine
  • Poems, Poets, Poetry: An Introduction and Anthology
  • Walt Whitman's America
  • The Giant Book of Poetry
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry
  • One Hundred Poems from the Chinese
  • The Vixen
  • The Penguin Book of English Verse
  • Fetish Sex: A Complete Guide to Sexual Fetishes (Kindle Edition)
  • Selected Poems
  • Disunion!: The Coming of the American Civil War, 1789-1859
  • The Guises of the Morrigan - The Irish Goddess of Sex & Battle
  • Lay Me out Softly: Short Stories
  • A Brief History of Christian Worship
  • Selected Poems
  • Artemis: Virgin Goddess of the Sun & Moon--A Comprehensive Guide to the Greek Goddess of the Hunt, Her Myths, Powers & Mysteries
  • New European Poets
Christopher Burns (Ipswich, MA) has been a news executive and an independent consultant to government and the private sector for thirty years, advising clients on emerging information management technologies and the evolution of the information economy. His previous positions include vice president of the Washington Post Company; senior vice president of the Minneapolis Star and Tribune; executive ...more
More about Christopher Burns...