Start by marking “Blaze” as Want to Read:
Blaze

Blaze

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  24,224 Ratings  ·  1,024 Reviews
Once upon a time, a fellow named Richard Bachman wrote Blaze on an Olivetti typewriter, then turned the machine over to Stephen King, who used it to write Carrie. Bachman died in 1985 ("cancer of the pseudonym"), but this last gripping Bachman novel resurfaced after being hidden away for decades—an unforgettable crime story tinged with sadness and suspense.

Clayton Blaisde
Audio CD, Unabridged, 8 pages
Published January 22nd 2008 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published June 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blaze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaze

Dan Schwent
Jan 05, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Aided by the voice of his dead friend George in his head, a slow goliath named Blaze kidnaps an infant and holds him for ransom. Can Blaze hold things together long enough to collect the ransom?

Blaze is a straight up crime book from Stephen King, aside from the voice of George in Blaze's head, which might not even be supernatural in origin. I have to wonder why this wasn't the book Stephen King offered up to Hard Case instead of The Colorado Kid.

The story of Blaze unfolds in two parallel stories
Matthew
Wow! This book was fantastic!

Why does King start the book with an apology/warning? This book is now definitely in my top 10 favorite King books (if not the top 5)

Seems like this one is even frequently skipped by King fans - please, stop skipping and read!

This book has a great story and great characters. It is quick and easy to read and kept me interested every page.

Blaze is a flawed but easy to sympathize tragic hero who doesn't really know what he is doing, but thinks he is doing it for the be
David
Mar 21, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, crime, suspense
This was a bit of a return to the old classic King, sans monsters and gore. It's a novel King wrote 30-odd years ago, then rediscovered and polished up and released as the last of his Bachman books. Ironically, I found it to be one of the better stories of his I've read recently, but I always have had a bit of a preference for his older stories - his newer stuff often just doesn't quite strike the right chord with me.

King has always been good with stories that pull up the carpets on small town A
Jennifer Wardrip
Stephen King may be the "master of horror," but with BLAZE he proves that he's also just a plain ole good writer. This story is a mixture of a thriller, a mystery, a police procedural, and a personal struggle to figure out who you are.

Blaze, aka Clayton Blaisdell, Jr., is a dummy, and he knows it. Ever since his father threw him down a flight of stairs (and then hauled him back up and did it a couple of more times), Blaze hasn't had the brains for learning. The dent in his forehead might make h
Gregory Del Duca
Look...

First and foremost, I am a self-described and unembarrassed "King Head." I have devoured Stephen King's words since reading "Thinner" as a fairly young boy with a slightly twisted mind that loved to be challenged, expanded, and scared.

I am also a person who has read loads of classic and contemporary fiction, non-fiction, science fiction, scientific journals, periodicals, etc. My point? I don't simply spend my time reading one author or genre, and I am a fairly discrimiinating reader.

I fee
Alissa Patrick
Sep 25, 2015 Alissa Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
2- 2.5 Stars.

I just kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing really did. This felt like Stephen King-lite. Yawn. Not a fan of this story.
Franco  Santos
Buen libro de King bajo su seudónimo de Richard Bachman. Es muy entretenido, ameno, fluido y rápido ; sin embargo, hay alguna que otra parte que se me hizo un poco pesada y quizás hasta monótona.

Es curioso que con el personaje principal de esta historia llegás a sentir una especie amor-odio.

Tiene un buen final; a muchos no les gustó, tal vez no fuese el mejor, pero es aceptable, y arriesgado. Me encanta que los autores se arriesguen con las conclusiones.

En fin, buena novela de King, para pasa
Andrew
Nov 12, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I was asked if I wanted to read this along with a friend and I thought why not. In the early days of my reading I will admit I voraciously read my way through Stephen King's publication list and for the most of them I loved them (some were so so while others were amazing and I still refer back to them even today).

However reading Blaze I realised two things. The first was that its been far too long since I immersed myself in Mr Kings work and secondly - and I guess this will come across a l
Stefan Yates
May 03, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
There is no doubt that this definitely has the feel of a Bachman book. As is true to the normal style of Kings novels attributed to Bachman, this novel is a gritty pared-down version of what you would normally expect from Stephen King. That is in no way saying that the book is bad, to the contrary, it was a very well-written and moving story that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The thing that sets the tone of the Bachman entries apart from other works of King is that, while still very detailed and develope
Wayne Barrett
Jan 13, 2016 Wayne Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, stephen-king, 2015

After reading this I am a little surprised that it doesn't have a higher rating. I thought it was pretty damn good.

Written around the same time he wrote Carrie, King listed this one under his pseudonym, Richard Bachman. maybe that's fitting because one thing that stands out to me in this novel is that there is a complete absence of the supernatural...nada...zip...zilch!

Blaze, the nickname given to our main character here, is a hardcore crime novel. This is one of those stories that is told in su
Kandice
Apr 10, 2015 Kandice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book even better this time around. It WAS sentimental, but in an honest way. Blaze had a heart of gold, but he was certainly no angel.

I don't believe was written by Bachman. I know. Who am I to say, but Bachman's books are always depressing or bleak. This one was neither. It was sad, but that's not quite the same thing, is it?
Zoeytron
Although there is nothing I like better than to pick up a 1000 page novel by this extraordinary storyteller, sometimes less is better. This is one of those times. A simple plot, great characters, and a perfect ending.

Blaze is a big hulking galoot who doesn't have much going on in the brains department, complements of his abusive father. Irretrievably damaged with a dent in the middle of his forehead, he is removed from the home and plopped into the uninviting lap of the state orphanage. After a
Aymen Ben cheikh
Blaze, a geant who was beaten by his father when he was a kid and grew up in the Hetton House, lives by stealing money with his friend George. They decide to kidnap the baby of a rich family, but George dies, and Blaze decides to do it alone. This book is amazing. I loved the fact that King made a main character without trying to give the readers what they want, and he makes us like the characater who is a mentally sick criminal who decides to kidnap a baby, by showing us how he grew up and the ...more
Joe
Aug 12, 2015 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
It's been a little while since I've read any of King's Bachman books. The last one I read was "The Regulators" and that one didn't agree with me so I was a little hesitant in picking this one up. This one was worth my time, but only barely.

If you're going to do a book with a protagonist/antagonist who is a big, good-natured mentally handicapped guy who partners up with a smaller, smarter guy, you'd better have a VERY good reason for naming the smaller guy George. No one, NO ONE in this book made
Kinksrock
This is an ok book that I would not recommend as a first book you read by Stephen King. However, I highly recommend it if you are a Stephen King fan, but need a break from his books with more complicated plots and multiple characters. This one focuses on two characters (only one of whom is actually alive) and one simple plot, with some flashbacks. "Blaze" is a brain-damaged plot who plots to kidnap a baby for ransom, following the instructions of his former partner in crime, who is only alive in ...more
TK421
I get it that "Richard Bachman" wanted to pay homage to the gritty noir he grew up reading, but, sadly to say, I don't really think he captured the feeling in this rambling, baggy-monster-ish book.

I really liked the premise of this story, and most of the characters were developed enough for my tastes, but I still closed it with a feeling of something not being completely fulfilled.

Mr. Bachman, if you can hear me from The Beyond, do us a favor...leave the noir writing to the other crowd. You se
Dave
Sep 25, 2015 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Poor Blaze! Throughout the whole book your heart just goes out to him. He seems to be one of those that if life had taken a couple of different turns could have had a great life. I think Blaze ranks close to Snape (Harry Potter) and Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) as the bad guy character who is good deep down and you just want to pull for.
Josen
Nov 09, 2015 Josen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5.......Why am I not giving this 5 stars? I'm not entirely sure. While I thought it was a really good book and an easy read I don't know that I would run out and tell everyone to read it.

I don't normally go into plot lines when going into a review because there's enough reviews out there that will do that. I just give my views and opinions. Overall I did think this was a really good book in that the storyline was easy to follow and I was completely engaged in the plot. I have never read Bachm
Nina Rapsodia
Oct 05, 2015 Nina Rapsodia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Los amantes de Tio King
Recommended to Nina by: Nadie
Seguramente a muchos no les suena el nombre de Richard Bachman, pero que les parece si les digo que fue el nombre que usó Stephen King durante unos años y con el que escribió un par de novelas hasta que se descubrió la verdadera identidad de Bachman. De este experimento salieron un par de novelas, una como Blaze. En el prólogo del libro el mismo King te habla a ti como lector (te hace reír de paso) y termina contando la historia de como decidió publicar esta novela luego de estar guardada en un ...more
Paul
Aug 06, 2011 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the better Stephen King offerings I've read in quite a while. After the rather bloated "Dreamcatcher" and the sloppy feeling "Cell," "Blaze" was a nice surprise. It was succinct, engaging, and the story was well-paced and kept a solid momentum from start to finish. King/Bachman deftly weaves together a tale of a caper you know is bound to end badly with the story of an institutionally raised boy as he grows into a man and ultimately finds himself on the wrong side of the tracks ...more
Becky
Oct 25, 2008 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, reviewed, 2008
This was a pretty decent story: Mentally handicapped Clay Blaisdell Jr. (Blaze) goes through with a kidnapping plot even though his partner (and the "brains" of the operation) is dead.

This is a book that is pretty typical of Bachman, in that it's relatively short at 260 pages, and it is a simple story mostly devoid of the paranormal occurences that King books often contain. Though, I must admit, I didn't get the sense of bleakness and despair that normally accompanies a Bachman book... This was
Debra
Mar 05, 2015 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. The more I think about the book, the more I like it. Very good storytelling and pacing of the book.
Alissa
Apr 25, 2014 Alissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Blaze isn't something that King would usually write. There are the same relationships, character development and fairly quick story line but its different. That could be since Bachman had a hand in writing this novel back in the 70s. Blaze was a good read, fast paced and told with a raw honesty that got to me sometimes. The main character, Clayton Blaisdell Jr. or Blaze, was let on as the villain from the start but throughout the story you are given some of his background, more than enough histo ...more
Христо Блажев
Слабоумен добряк отвлича дете: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/o...

Ричард Бакмановите “Гняв”, “Дългата разходка” и “Пътна мрежа” са ми сред най-любимите на Стивън Кинг и нищо не може да промени това впечатление. Изпуснал съм първото излизане на “Огън” (няма да съм първият, който ще обърне внимание, че името на главния герой Блейз си е ок за заглавие, а “преводът” му виси в нищото), но второто си го взех веднага. И макар историята да не е толкова завладяваща, както на трите посочени горе, ми
Mihail Kostov
Jan 25, 2014 Mihail Kostov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Късно предишната вечер прочетох последният излязъл в България роман на Стивън Кинг - "Огън". И един въпрос не ми дава спокойствие, защо българските издатели на книгата са решили да я нарекат така? Заглавието на книгата е "Блейз", което е името на главния герой. В цялата книга не видях основание да се нарича "Огън", ако някой е намерил нека ми пише.
Иначе останах с много добри впечатления от книгата. Чете се изключително лесно (330 стр. прочетох я за 2 дни, което е по-бързо от средната ми скорост
Rose
Nov 09, 2011 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King had me wrapped up in his type writing fingers, tangled up in his tale & all up in knots in the suspense of it all. I loved this story completely, but it's no surprise as SK is one of the most talented & gifted story tellers ever. I loved the character of Blaze & felt everything SK wanted me to feel. Completely immersed in Blaze's story, sadness about the tragedy of his sad life both in the past & in the present, light with the humorous incidents & hopeful for a h ...more
Ewelina
Dec 18, 2014 Ewelina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Tym razem zostajemy uraczeni przez Bachmana/Kinga trudnym tematem, tworzącym mocną i wyrazistą książkę, choć jest ona przy tym przytłaczająca. Przede wszystkim traktuje ona o przemocy i jej konsekwencjach, potocznie nazywanych „zejściem na złą drogę”. Polecam, choć nie jest to lektura łatwa.
James
Nov 24, 2007 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A lighter work by Stephen King/Richard Bachman, and I think the flashbacks with Blaze were more interesting than the central kidnapping story, which I felt kind of ran out of steam. I don't know if I really liked this story very much, but the thing about King's prose is that it is always eminently readable, filled with hilarious asides, phrasing, and curse-word-combinations.

I wonder if King really wrote this in the 70's and just tweaked it, or if this is a marketing publicity gambit, and he wro
Brian Bova
Feb 26, 2015 Brian Bova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
Excellent book! Great reading throughout. Straight forward book that didn't have any letdowns or lulls in it. Loved how King took you back in time revealing past events during the story. Definitely recommend this book to anyone into King. A+++++
mina
Jan 09, 2016 mina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These days I kept picking the "wrong" books of Stephen King. I want to read horror (although why I want to do that still confused me, since I live alone for the time being, and I tend to be easily scared). I always end up with crime stories/psychological thrillers.

Real rating: 3.5. I really want to give it a 4, because of the smooth writing and the unputdown-able of this book: I read it so quickly. (And maybe because I am a big fan of Stephen King, and naturally, Richard Bachman. He is one of t
Stephen King Fans: Blaze - Bachman book 23 129 Oct 12, 2015 05:48AM
Support for Indie...: ENTER STEPHEN KING'S "BLAZE" 1 21 Aug 28, 2015 09:40AM
  • Storm of the Century: An Original Screenplay
This is a Stephen King pseudonym.

Stephen Edwin King was born in Portland, Maine in 1947, the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his parents separated when Stephen was a toddler, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When S
More about Richard Bachman...

2 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“He was going to make this happen. His feet and his head was set, and when he got that way, he always did what he said he was going to do. It was his pride. The only one he had.” 5 likes
“Memories are contrary things; if you quit chasing them and turn your back, they often return on their own.” 2 likes