Start by marking “The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past” as Want to Read:
The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past

The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Ask most Americans why their forefathers started the Revolution, and they’ll likely mention “no taxation without representation” or the belief in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as inalienable rights. But that’s just the start of the story, as historian Alan Axelrod so brilliantly shows in this eye-opening book. Axelrod offers a fascinating examination of what ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Sterling (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Real History of the American Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real History of the American Revolution

Jake
Mar 11, 2010 Jake rated it really liked it
Sort of a pop-up video version of a college textbook. In a good way.

Axelrod took some shit for some of his 'speculation', where he pointed out ways the war COULD have ended if this general did that, or that general moved faster, etc. I actually think that those 'what-if' scenarios added a little to the history, and proved that Axelrod actually thought about his info rather than just regurgitating the record.

All that said, there WERE sections that seemed to lack a little detail. Maybe it's beca
Amy
Feb 04, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
I started reading this many years ago but halfway through it, it fell by the wayside. Inspired by watching the History Channel mini-series Sons of Liberty (which only had a passing acquaintance with real history) and reading Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan, I picked it up again. It's a great overview of the war for American independence. Doesn't go into great depth on any one thing but that's ok. There are other books for that. I loved the sidebars and the visuals.
Scott
Jan 03, 2010 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Simply a fun read. It's a good introduction for people who know little or nothing about American history, but is also a handily organized, something that you'll keep at arms' length for whenever you need to check a fact really quick. Not only does it go into detail about the important events, it also gives you little details that you probably didn't know that are somehow related and will stick in your mind. There were one or two inaccuracies, but compared to the amount of information available, ...more
Kevin Colby
Jun 08, 2012 Kevin Colby rated it liked it
Shelves: history

I had some issues with his history concerning Benedict Arnold. He just seems to recite the old tried and true " He was a greedy opportunist" lines of past historians. That is not the true picture of the man. It is an unfair assessment. He also continuously calls King Louis of France "Emperor". When you are talking about France and refer to "the Emperor" you are talking about Napoleon and no one else. Otherwise I like the book. He explains the beginnings and reasons for the war quite well.
Professor Digory  Kirke
Apr 14, 2011 Professor Digory Kirke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-history
Being well versed in the history and study of the Revolution even I learned somethings I had never known or come across before in all my studies on this subject. That in and of its self is a hard thing to do. An excellent book and worthy of one and all who love and or study the Revolution, should have as part of their own library.
Shaun Joyce
Jun 23, 2014 Shaun Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
This book is excellent. From the minute I began reading I couldn't put it down... my only issue with the book is that it leaves out details on a few key events and people and it merely brushes over them... but other than that it is a very good book and I recommend this to everyone.
Lisa Kucharski
Apr 28, 2012 Lisa Kucharski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many ways this is better than most text books as it tries to be clear about overall events, and provides a bit of humor here and there. This is also a helpful book to read first before reading more detailed info about events.
Andy Ford
May 02, 2008 Andy Ford rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: history buffs
This is a textbook: high school, perhaps college level. Good to review history now and then, and see how historians may have changed their views about things. Remembering some things, and being surprised by others.
Darren Price
Good brief, very readable history of the American Revolution. Nothing too detailed, but enough for a solid overview. A good read before delving into biographies of some of our nations founders.
Vince
Apr 14, 2009 Vince rated it really liked it
Pretty good read. I didn't find much new information here. The book would make an excellent textbook for high school seniors as the author has a great ability to organize information.
Nickwhipple
Oct 12, 2009 Nickwhipple rated it really liked it
Good overview of the revolution and its major events. A little lacking in detail, but overall well written with lots of cool Revolution factoids!
Crow Bar
Sep 16, 2010 Crow Bar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book detailing the full events of the American Revolution from the American colonization in the 1600's to the writing of the constitution.
Michael
Jul 08, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
A very good pop history about the U.S. War for Independence. I believe a better editor could have helped. Too much repetition
Jeff
Sep 07, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Book had great content, but a crappy binding that was destined to fall appart before I even read it once.
Tara Adams
Oct 21, 2012 Tara Adams rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the American Revolution. An excellent secondary reference for high school students.
Katie
Nov 24, 2009 Katie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kelly
Mar 14, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This was terrific. A history text that reads more like a good novel.
Doug Hauser
Jan 05, 2014 Doug Hauser rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, owned-books
This is a good history book for a novice history reader.
Kenneth
Oct 12, 2009 Kenneth is currently reading it
Good so far.
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Shauna
Shauna added it
Jul 13, 2016
Jonny Moskowitz
Jonny Moskowitz rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Allyson Capetta
Allyson Capetta marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Robbie Thompson
Robbie Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Ketzen
Ketzen marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Drillmaster of Valley Forge: The Baron de Steuben and the Making of the American Army
  • Victory at Yorktown: The Campaign That Won the Revolution
  • If By Sea: The Forging of the American Navy--from the Revolution to the War of 1812
  • George Washington's War: The Forging of a Revolutionary Leader and the American Presidency
  • For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions
  • American Heroes: Profiles of Men and Women Who Shaped Early America
  • An Empire on the Edge: How Britain Came to Fight America
  • Benedict Arnold's Navy: The Ragtag Fleet That Lost the Battle of Lake Champlain But Won the American Revolution
  • Revolutionaries: A New History of the Invention of America
  • American Spring: Lexington, Concord, and the Road to Revolution
  • The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival After Yorktown
  • Samuel Adams: Father of the American Revolution
  • A Leap in the Dark: The Struggle to Create the American Republic
  • A Nation Rising: Untold Tales of Flawed Founders, Fallen Heroes, and Forgotten Fighters from America's Hidden History
  • Patriot Pirates: The Privateer War for Freedom and Fortune in the American Revolution
  • Unlikely Heroes: Ordinary Men and Women Whose Courage Won the Revolution