Start by marking “The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past” as Want to Read:
The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past

The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Ask most Americans why their forefathers started the Revolution, and they’ll likely mention “no taxation without representation” or the belief in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as inalienable rights. But that’s just the start of the story, as historian Alan Axelrod so brilliantly shows in this eye-opening book. Axelrod offers a fascinating examination of what ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Sterling (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Real History of the American Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real History of the American Revolution

Jake
Sort of a pop-up video version of a college textbook. In a good way.

Axelrod took some shit for some of his 'speculation', where he pointed out ways the war COULD have ended if this general did that, or that general moved faster, etc. I actually think that those 'what-if' scenarios added a little to the history, and proved that Axelrod actually thought about his info rather than just regurgitating the record.

All that said, there WERE sections that seemed to lack a little detail. Maybe it's beca
Scott
Simply a fun read. It's a good introduction for people who know little or nothing about American history, but is also a handily organized, something that you'll keep at arms' length for whenever you need to check a fact really quick. Not only does it go into detail about the important events, it also gives you little details that you probably didn't know that are somehow related and will stick in your mind. There were one or two inaccuracies, but compared to the amount of information available, ...more
Kevin Colby

I had some issues with his history concerning Benedict Arnold. He just seems to recite the old tried and true " He was a greedy opportunist" lines of past historians. That is not the true picture of the man. It is an unfair assessment. He also continuously calls King Louis of France "Emperor". When you are talking about France and refer to "the Emperor" you are talking about Napoleon and no one else. Otherwise I like the book. He explains the beginnings and reasons for the war quite well.
Professor Digory  Kirke
Being well versed in the history and study of the Revolution even I learned somethings I had never known or come across before in all my studies on this subject. That in and of its self is a hard thing to do. An excellent book and worthy of one and all who love and or study the Revolution, should have as part of their own library.
Shaun Joyce
This book is excellent. From the minute I began reading I couldn't put it down... my only issue with the book is that it leaves out details on a few key events and people and it merely brushes over them... but other than that it is a very good book and I recommend this to everyone.
Lisa Kucharski
In many ways this is better than most text books as it tries to be clear about overall events, and provides a bit of humor here and there. This is also a helpful book to read first before reading more detailed info about events.
Andy Ford
May 02, 2008 Andy Ford rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs
This is a textbook: high school, perhaps college level. Good to review history now and then, and see how historians may have changed their views about things. Remembering some things, and being surprised by others.
Darren Price
Good brief, very readable history of the American Revolution. Nothing too detailed, but enough for a solid overview. A good read before delving into biographies of some of our nations founders.
Vince
Pretty good read. I didn't find much new information here. The book would make an excellent textbook for high school seniors as the author has a great ability to organize information.
Nickwhipple
Good overview of the revolution and its major events. A little lacking in detail, but overall well written with lots of cool Revolution factoids!
Crow Bar
Very good book detailing the full events of the American Revolution from the American colonization in the 1600's to the writing of the constitution.
Michael
A very good pop history about the U.S. War for Independence. I believe a better editor could have helped. Too much repetition
Jeff
Book had great content, but a crappy binding that was destined to fall appart before I even read it once.
Tara Adams
A good introduction to the American Revolution. An excellent secondary reference for high school students.
Katie
Nov 24, 2009 Katie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kelly
This was terrific. A history text that reads more like a good novel.
Doug Hauser
This is a good history book for a novice history reader.
Kenneth
Oct 12, 2009 Kenneth is currently reading it
Good so far.
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Philip D. Wilson
Philip D. Wilson marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Todd
Todd added it
Oct 01, 2014
Michael Scullard
Michael Scullard is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2014
Rick
Rick is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Drillmaster of Valley Forge: The Baron de Steuben and the Making of the American Army
  • A Nation Rising: Untold Tales of Flawed Founders, Fallen Heroes, and Forgotten Fighters from America's Hidden History
  • Victory at Yorktown: The Campaign That Won the Revolution
  • Revolutionaries: A New History of the Invention of America
  • American Heroes: Profiles of Men and Women Who Shaped Early America
  • If By Sea: The Forging of the American Navy--from the Revolution to the War of 1812
  • George Washington's War: The Forging of a Revolutionary Leader and the American Presidency
  • Samuel Adams: Father of the American Revolution
  • One-Night Stands with American History: Odd, Amusing, and Little-Known Incidents
  • The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival After Yorktown
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America
  • General Lee's Army: From Victory to Collapse
  • The South Was Right!
  • Founding Myths: Stories That Hide Our Patriotic Past
  • The Summer of 1787: The Men Who Invented the Constitution
  • For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions
  • Independence: The Struggle to Set America Free
Elizabeth I CEO: Strategic Lessons from the Leader Who Built an Empire Patton on Leadership Patton: A Biography Miracle at Belleau Wood: The Birth of the Modern U.S. Marine Corps Profiles in Audacity: Great Decisions and How They Were Made