Start by marking “Creepers” as Want to Read:
Creepers

Creepers (Frank Balenger #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,063 Ratings  ·  483 Reviews
On a cold October night, five people gather in a run-down motel on the Jersey shore and begin preparations to break into the Paragon Hotel. Built in the glory days of Asbury Park by a reclusive millionaire, the magnificent structure - which foreshadowed the beauties of art deco architecture - is now boarded up and marked for demolition.

The five people are "creepers," the s
Published September 26th 2005 by CDS Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Creepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creepers

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton EllisThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
I Like Serial Killers
106th out of 684 books — 1,115 voters
The Brotherhood of the Rose by David MorrellCreepers by David MorrellThe League of Night and Fog by David MorrellScavenger by David MorrellThe Fraternity Of The Stone by David Morrell
Best of David Morrell
2nd out of 30 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This was an odd book. Some aspects struck me as cheesy (listening on audiobook), but man it was intense, and the bad guy is a piece of work. Actually, there were other bad guys, which were a complete surprise (and they were complete jack*sses that made me want to jump into the story and do some b****slapping).

The genre of this book seems to vary as I listened. At first, was it adventure? Then it was mystery. Then, horror...but supernatural or human monster variety?

The violent parts come suddenl
Chibineko
Oct 29, 2010 Chibineko rated it really liked it
I've always been fascinated by the idea of exploring abandoned buildings but have always been too chicken to do it for real. So you can imagine my excitement when I saw Morrell's Creepers, a fictional story about a group of urban explorers (aka "creepers"). About 24 hours later, I was finished. I just couldn't put it down!

The story follows a group of urban explorers and one reporter as they prepare to explore one of the most mysterious hotels ever- the Paragon Hotel. Built by a reclusive archit
Kilgallen
Apr 06, 2012 Kilgallen rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, 2012-reads
I found the first 1/4 of this book to be a little slow but I am glad I kept reading! It turned out to be a great page turner. As I finished the last few paragraphs I was struck by the realization that "Creepers" could be described as "Goonies" for grown-ups!
 Eden Creed
Oct 29, 2014 Eden Creed rated it really liked it

Fast paced and full of twists and turns, this turned out to be nothing like what I expected. On the premise, I thought I'd be diving into some sort of haunted story full of ghosts and thrills in an old hotel. I didn't get that, sure, but the psychopath that took center stage instead was pretty damn creepy--enough so to make me forgive the story for not being what I'd hoped!

Just when you think you have it figured out, David Morrell surprises you, shocks you, stupefies you, and makes you
Evans Light
Jun 01, 2014 Evans Light rated it really liked it
Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

Over the top, full of unlikely events, coincidences and character motivations, this book nevertheless was perfectly paced and full of enough dramatic twists and turns to keep me flipping the pages until I finished the whole thing in a single setting.

Like a strange hybrid of POSIEDON and the thriller movie IDENTITY, Creepers is non-stop action and a heck of a good time that keeps things moving along at such a fast and smooth pace you won't bother to take the time to thi
Charles Dee Mitchell
Dec 21, 2012 Charles Dee Mitchell rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
I want four hours of my life back.
Jonah
Apr 16, 2009 Jonah rated it liked it
I found the premise of this novel quite interesting. I actually hadn't even read enough of the cover to know that it was in fact a fairly straightforward thriller, and in the opening I was expecting a supernatural horror (the appearance of strange wildlife and the suggestion of more furthered this suggestion), having found the book in the horror section. Well, while I did think the premise was quite good, I found the execution far less so.

I found the characters to be flat and their dialogue to
Cheryl
Dec 24, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
Fast-paced mystery/thriller about a group of "creepers" (people who explore abandonded buildings) who get more than they bargained for during an exploration of an abandoned hotel in Asbury Park, NJ. There are a few twists in the plot, as they discover things about the hotel's builder and the events that happened in the hotel. A fun, fast read.
Tara Lynn
Feb 23, 2009 Tara Lynn rated it it was ok
Eh. To me this had the feel of a Made-for-TV movie on the Sci-Fi Channel. There really wasn't enough there to draw you in. Quick read, though.
Andy
Mar 10, 2010 Andy rated it really liked it
As they say, "An image is worth a thousand words.". Well for this book, only 388 pages worth. But the sheer suspense this novel brings to the reader makes it worth every drop of sweat you perspire, every nail you bite off and every time you feel butterflies in your stomach.
In simple terms, while you read this book, you become your own worst enemy. You mind will bring out the dark side of your imagination, exposing the horrible thoughts inside your head. While the book may not go as far as your m
Mar 14, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
From the creator of Rambo comes Creepers, David Morrell's first novel featuring hero Frank Balenger.

"Creepers" is a slang term for urban archaeologists who explore abandoned buildings that are banned from the public or awaiting demolition. The building in question is an old hotel built by an agoraphobic millionaire located in the ghost town of Asbury Park on the Jersey shore. A group of four creepers is entering this ancient hotel accompanied by reporter Frank Balenger, who will honor them in th
Goran Markov
May 08, 2013 Goran Markov rated it it was amazing
This is a great novel by David Morrell! A very interesting and mysterious writing, a thriller that actually thrills.

It is a story about a group of people, "urban explorers" or "creepers", as they are called, that research abandoned and long closed buildings for their personal satisfaction and pleasure, as well as documenting photographs and their experiences and history. Being a thriller, you've got everything you could possibly wish for...mystery, sudden changes of situations, antagonists, acti
Michael
Oct 19, 2009 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
Chris
Dec 16, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the best books I have read. The author has a style of writing that makes you feel as if you are actually in the story. There was enough description in the book to know exactly what was being done in each chapter.
Gerrie Finger
Dec 30, 2010 Gerrie Finger rated it really liked it
Morrell never disappoints, and this premise is solid. He executed what he set out to do, but, the big BUT, is that I couldn't suspend disbelief. Too much going on, I think. I'll always finish a Morrell book because his writing is never boring.
Shell The Belle
Good read, spooky at first, bit gruesome further on, liked the beginning
more than the middle or end.

Good ending though, look forward to reading the sequel !!
Crystal Craig
Nov 15, 2014 Crystal Craig rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few years back and I want to reread it. It's a book that's stayed with me. I recommend it all the time.
Lanie
Mar 12, 2014 Lanie rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me. I'd never heard of David Morrell, and if it wasn't recommended, I wouldn't have picked it up. The magic of goodreads. First, it's about an abandoned hotel and about 5 urban explorers looking for archeological finds. That intrigued me immediately. The slang term for these explorers is "creepers" and it's a highly illegal activity, so that makes for great fiction in my book. They are joined by a reporter, Frank, whose motives are to write an article, but his entire ...more
Barbara ★
Frank Balenger joins a group of modern urban explorers "creepers" in entering an abandoned hotel, The Paragon in Asbury Park New Jersey. The hotel is designed by an agoraphobic man, Morgan Carlisle, who once inside never leaves the building which resembles a Mayan pyramid. The creep factor starts before they even enter the hotel from a long abandoned tunnel where mutated albino rats and cats stalk them. The suspense grows as the story of each character is slowly disseminated while they work thei ...more
Kelly
Oct 18, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This book was FANTASTIC!! Interesting and suspenseful, with plenty of heart and soul that had me rooting for the main characters all the way through. The author really did his research for this one, which added great authenticity to the story.

"Creepers" is a nickname given to those who are fascinated with the exploration of urban decay. Abandoned buildings (hotels, asylums, stadiums, theaters, department stores, etc) offer a glimpse into the past, as time stops when people cease to occupy such
Ru
Nov 24, 2012 Ru rated it really liked it
A wild adventure predicated on a preposterous story - and yet, it works. I knew nothing of this book going into it, other than the fact that I had read Canadian author Morrell's book "First Blood" as a kid, after seeing the movie, when the world was introduced to the world-famous Rambo character. I assumed this was a horror story, and it is, to some extent, but it covers so many genres that horror is very low on the list. The premise of these geocaching urban archaeologists/explorers embarking o ...more
Gina
Nov 14, 2009 Gina rated it really liked it
Kasia
Mar 31, 2010 Kasia rated it really liked it
So I finally got my hands on something written by the guy who created Rambo. Having expertise in firearms, executive protection, hostage negotiation and various other action skills and still suffering the death of his own child from blood cancer, Morrell is gifted when it comes to coming up with a good story and he has everything he needs to back up the action and the pain that fills his novels.

Creepers is a dark thriller, full of suspense and casualties. When a group of action loves who love to
Helena Nguyen
Dec 18, 2013 Helena Nguyen rated it really liked it
Shelves:
1. Creepers

2. David Morrell

3. A group of 5 adults go on an adventure in an abandoned hotel that was built in 1901 called the Paragon Hotel in New York. Once they get into the hotel, they visit a couple rooms just to see what things are left behind and they discover that there has been a murders, suicides, or some type of death or tragic story within each room. Their objective is to find a hidden vault within the hotel until their lives are at stake.

4. Courage- I think courage played a role in th
David Dalton
This has to be one of Morrell's best novels and that is really saying something. Very - very - suspenseful. Creepy & moody. Think Scoby-Doo for adults. "Creepers" are people that explore old building just for the fun of it. Instead of climbing mountains or such, they explore old buildings. But this group of Creepers picked the wrong building at the wrong time. Morrell set a mystery tone to the book and gave us readers a varied cast of characters to enjoy. Not an action story like Rambo, or a ...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I recently became interested in abandoned buildings. So the plot to this book was a sure frightful delight! It was very creepy! ! The history of the Paragon Hotel and its' final guests sure made for a spooky read at night. I highly recommend this one to horror/thriller readers!
Steven
Aug 14, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Perfect amount of horror and suspense, but since it wasn't supernaturally based, it had enough realistic situational horror to make it enjoyable without pushing boundaries of "that'll never happen!"
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {Don't start no static}
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter's 31 Days of Hallo-reads #4!!!

Aw, David Morrell, you wrote me a book? How sweet.

Seriously, this was written for me.
Urban exploration, better known in the counterculture as urbex, is something I've always been passionate about. I'm a long-time reader of David Morrell's mentioned research site, Infiltration.net. It's since become defunct, but some of the pics are still there.
I've only done the really big stuff, hotels and apartment complexes, a few times. It's dangerous, a
Robert
Aug 02, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This book really grabbed me at the very beginning. I mean what a terrific set up, a group of urban explorers go into a creepy closed up old hotel on a dark and stormy night. And upon entering the hotel things start to go horribly wrong. I thought if this would have gone into a bit more of a supernatural bent this would have been really smoking. Somehow it turns into a Rambo novel. Wait a minute this is the guy who wrote First Blood, the very first introduction of John Rambo to the world. All rig ...more
Martin Hill
May 25, 2013 Martin Hill rated it really liked it
The past plays a major role in many of David Morrell’s novels, and Creepers is no different. A group of creepers – urban explorers who break into old abandoned buildings to document the past – are joined by a reporter as they enter the Paragon Hotel, a once posh hotel that now rots along with many other buildings in Ashbury Park on the Jersey shore. Inside they find secrets – and terrors – that have lain hidden for nearly a hundred years.

The Paragon itself is a time capsule capturing the history
Is it just this book? 4 18 Jun 11, 2015 08:27AM
  • Like Death
  • Dead in the Water
  • Casket For Sale: Only Used Once
  • The Kult
  • Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)
  • Coffin County
  • The Bone Parade
  • The Manse
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • The Midnight Eye Files: The Amulet
  • The Night Class
  • Darkfall
  • The Reach
  • Worm
  • The Tide (The Tide Series, #1)
  • Lost Boy Lost Girl
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.
More about David Morrell...

Frank Balenger (2 books)
  • Scavenger (Frank Balenger, #2)