Start by marking “Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)

Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes #1)

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  1,245 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Congressman Latham has maintained an impeccable record in Washington, and so he seems the logical choice when nominated by his friend, President Scott, to become the next secretary of state. His confirmation hearings appear to be a formality until rumors emerge of sexual misconduct and influence peddling. Then, early one morning, he is found shot to death, an apparent suic ...more
Published December 31st 1980 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the White House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the White House

Arlene Starr
Nov 09, 2015 Arlene Starr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in the White House, Margaret Truman
This is a murder mystery written in third person by Margaret Truman, President Truman’s daughter, who is familiar with the White House, and writes with authenticity. It is not based on factual events however. The book is divided into two parts, the first includes an introduction and a day by day transcript of events as they occur from June 12 throughout June 19. The last part presents the evidence and speculation and reveals the guilty. Don’t cheat and s
Keli Wright
Jan 21, 2012 Keli Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Maybe one of the reasons I loved it was because it was set in Washington DC and written by a first daughter...It was interesting to compare how things were doine in 1980 and how they are now..It is amazing that they even solved crimes back then with no DNA or ballistics or luminol or anything. ..I am going to read the rest of her books..it was a good quick read. I reccommend it for anyone that likes mysteries and the DC area...they even mentioned going to a st. in Alexandria t ...more
Heidi
Jul 27, 2009 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a favorite of mine. It's a quick read; I'll give the book that. But that's just about the only positive thing I can say. The ending was really disappointing, and I thought the book contained a lot of unnecessary trash. Also, the author would randomly switch between 1st and 3rd person narrative right in the middle of things, and then suddenly switch back after a paragraph. I'm not sure if this was just really poor writing and editing, or if it was some weird attempt at creativity, but whateve ...more
Sharon
Mar 28, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good old-fashioned whodunit, by a woman who knows the ins and outs of Washington politics. Even though these were written years ago, they still have plenty of intrigue.
Ellen Moore
Feb 03, 2015 Ellen Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting book. Truman writes extremely well and makes good use of her knowledge of Washington politics as a first daughter who had lived in the White House in creating her novel. I liked the book.
Doug Warren
After the first couple of pages I was coming up with one line reviews to cover this whole book;
"You know those conversations you hear old people having and can't believe anyone in the world would find them interesting, this book was just a boring old person conversation." and "This book would have never been published if she were not a president's daughter." &t.
But, it got better. The dialog was really good and kept the story going. The details and plot action, eh, not so much, but it was a
Cathy
This was my first Margaret Truman book. I enjoyed it and really like her writing style. I agree with some other reviewers that the story was a little lacking but it was a very quick read and I will definitely read more of this series as I understand it gets better.
Ij
Feb 18, 2015 Ij rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big surprise, no Mac or Annabel.
Terry
Mar 29, 2015 Terry rated it it was ok
I knew Ms. Truman was a mystery writer, but I never had any interest in reading her works until I visited the Truman’s Little White House in Key West and learned Ms. Truman was inspired by Agatha Christie. Had the two been publishing at the same time, Ms. Christie would not have had to worry about the competition. I guess this was okay as far as a political thriller goes, but I figured out who did it early on, like before page 50. Usually I like figuring things out early and experiencing how the ...more
Val Sanford
A cabinet member is found dead in the White House. It's after hours and only family and close associates are present. With a small number of trusted people capable of committing this murder, the President uses and executive order to place the investigation in the hands of an inexperienced lawyer who might become his son-in-law. I was hoping for a stronger story; the end rushes up from nowhere and is pulled together a little less tidy than one wants.
Denise
Dec 25, 2010 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While on a business trip to Washington DC this November, I learned Margaret Truman was the daughter of President Truman. I'd heard of the mystery author, but never thought she was related to the president. I'd been looking for something light and fluffy to read, and this book did the trick. I started with it since it is the first in Truman's extensive Capital Crimes series. The book was published in 1980 and the outdated technology the characters use made me smile. Dictaphones are used in the bo ...more
Lyndsy
Jul 07, 2015 Lyndsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book randomly since I live political thrillers. The killer seemed obvious from the beginning, but watching it unfold was interesting.

I don't know that we got to know the characters as well as we could have, particularly the main character.

The story jumps around which was a bit confusing. There was random backstory that didn't seem to add much.
Debbie
May 11, 2016 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lansard Blaine-Secretary of State

Someone has killed the Secretary of State in the Lincoln sitting room. As it turns out, after his death, it's found that he was not a very nice man. He had a whole slew of girlfriends and was susceptible to taking bribes for favors. This was a good story with a surprising ending. Very interesting!
Maggie
The first of the Capital Crimes Series of Margaret Truman, who was the daughter of Harry S. Truman, and thus knew the White House and the political game well. This first one was a bit predictable, but she threw in enough twists to make it hard to be absolutely sure i was right about the murderer. I'll continue with the series in the hopes she improves with time.
Denise
Apr 20, 2016 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone killed in the White House and everyone is suspect! A new to me series I am thrilled with the topic from this lady in history!

Murder leads to details about everyone that will be hard to believe, but in the end who would kill over these life secrets.

Easy, clean, nice paced mystery.
Kathy Nealen
I decided Margaret Truman's Washington DC series would be my next mystery series to start. I prefer to read series in order so this is the first one. I could tell it was dated from the beginning with the focus on the auto industry but I did not realize it was from 1980 until l checked. Since it is old, it lacks the sophisticated technology that more recent mysteries have like DNA, cell phones and caller id. It also contained obsolete technology like a dictaphone, which I am frankly unable to vis ...more
Joyce
Nov 23, 2015 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a little prosy at times, but most of the time, the revelations kept me reading. The ending was a surprise - for me, anyhow. The ending was a bit too neat, though. Politicians weather scandal, I guess.

On to the next Margaret Truman book ...
 Marla
jeffrey
Apr 25, 2015 jeffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would give this an extra 1/2 star for earnestness, in this ok whodunnit from a real White House insider that's stronger on Washington gossip and not enough on development of the major characters. On a positive note, however, it was a quick read.
Paula
Mar 22, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In perusing some lists on Goodreads I came across some other books I had forgotten I had read - I REALLY enjoyed Margaret Truman's books! As a Canadian, I learned a bit more about USA history.
Joyce McKune
The secretary of state was murdered in the residence of the white house. The president by executive order made his legal council lead investigator even if it was found that it was an inside job.
Beverlee
Sep 08, 2015 Beverlee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was a very enjoyable quick-to-read thriller written interestingly enough by Margaret Truman, President Truman's daughter. Will definitely read more of her books in this "series".
Angela
Dec 07, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is much better than murder in the fbi but like murder in fbi the ending is very weak. Anyway, I still like it. Cannot wait to read Ms Truman other books
Julie
Jun 07, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read, great for summer on the hammock. Not terrific, I had kind of guessed whodunnit, and the end came like a crash landing. But enjoyable.
Connie
Apr 07, 2015 Connie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of my favorites in the murder series....this is my 2nd or 3rd reading. A murder in the white house participants moved at a snail pace.
Grace
May 06, 2011 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Secretary of State is murdered in the White House, and the President assigns Ron Fairbanks, Special Counsel to the President to head up the investigation. During his investigation, Ron finds out many secret things about the lives of not only the Secretary of State, but also about the President, the First Lady, and their daughter, Lynne, whom rumor has it, Ron will one day marry. Ron realizes that he has been placed in a difficult position and it may cost his his job if he digs too deeply, bu ...more
Irish Gal
Jun 16, 2016 Irish Gal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was my first Margaret Truman book. Although some of the story details were rather sleazy (not my cup of tea) and there are grammatical errors in there, I found the story very unique. I also loved how she wove history and real White House administration issues into the story.
Phillis
Jun 09, 2011 Phillis rated it really liked it
It didn't take me long to finish his book. It was a good read. I put myself in the 1980s and read the boo with out the expectations of 2011. The story line was good. A murder in the Whte Houe and no one saw or heard anything. So a non-discript White House aid is put in charge of the investigation with all levels of security at his fingertips. The president wants this murder solved a soon as possible. He has no idea what solving this murder will cost his family. Things that astonished us and seem ...more
Miriam
Jan 27, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this first book in the series. it was fun to read and i liked the details about the white house.
Sheila
president's daughter kills secretary of state, who is threatening to reveal family secret
Goodreads Librari...: pn 3 20 Jul 03, 2013 03:18PM
  • Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25)
  • Murder in the Lincoln Bedroom (Eleanor Roosevelt, #19)
  • The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)
  • Gift Collection: D is for Deadbeat / E is for Evidence / F is for Fugitive
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Vineyard Shadows (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #12)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
  • A White House Diary
  • An Old Faithful Murder (Susan Henshaw, #5)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • The Eye of Horus
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)
  • Murder at the Pentagon (Capital Crimes, #11)