Start by marking “In His Own Words” as Want to Read:
In His Own Words

In His Own Words

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A collection of some of the most historic and inspirational addresses by one of the most renowned political leaders of our day.The most stirring voice to come out of South Africa, Nelson Mandela has brought his message of freedom, equality, and human dignity to the entire world. Now, for the first time, his most eloquent and important speeches are collected in a single vol ...more
Published December 2nd 2004 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about In His Own Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In His Own Words

missy jean
550 pages of Nelson Mandela's speeches? Yes, please. Mandela is one of my heroes, so reading speeches from his amazing life (before he went to prison, while he was President, from his more recent humanitarian initiatives) has been a real joy. The book also includes essays on Mandela's legacy by people like Kofi Annan, Graca Machel, Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby.
Max Boukesse
It's a collection of some of Nelson Mandela's great speeches from his release from prison up to after his presidency.

Some of my favorite quotes from this book:
"The most terrible walls, is the walls that grow up in the mind" N. Mandela
"...mistakes are inevitable element of any process of learning. It is always the case that the spectators are better than the players on the field" N. M.
"It is not where you start but how high you aim that matters for success" NM
"When you give up hope, you may as w
Shelby Delbert
Larger than life!
Sabrina Neumann
I grabbed this book from the library on a whim and didn't realize until later that it was not a biography. Thought I would be bored to tears reading speeches, but it turns out I was wrong. While the speechless did tend to get a little repetitive towards the end they were still well worth reading. Mandela deserves every honour. A leader we should try to emulate.
~kris~
Here is a leader that so clearly and eloquently presents the case of his people over and over again in speeches and writings. He could see the injustices and issues that hurt the people and his clarity of vision enabled him to be a respected leader unlike so many freedom fighters-turned oppressors throughout the African continent.
Stacy Parrish
Aug 16, 2007 Stacy Parrish rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who strive for Peace
I read this book my first year of teaching. Until then, I had never really studied about South Africa or about the life of Nelson Mandela. If I live my life accomplishing half of what he has done, I will leave this earth at peace.
Stephanie
Sep 10, 2012 Stephanie added it
Shelves: abandoned
I made it about halfway through this before it was due back at the library, and I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't enjoying it enough to renew it. So be it.
Tushar
Repetitive, Makes for an exhausting read and the same points are repeated over and over again, I would rather recommend the biography.
Corey
Aug 27, 2008 Corey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in great leaders
This so far is a great read about the Nelson's speaches and inserts in the life of a man we know as Nelson Mandela.
Rachel McQuoid
this book is a collection of Nelson Mandelas speeches. truely inspiring, a true hero!
Jonathan
This book is a big collection of Nelson Mandela's speeches. It is a good book, as far as describing the political problems that face most of the countries on this planet. Nelson Mandela is an interesting person. He always stresses moving on and forgetting the bitterness from Apartheid's past, he believes strongly in compromising, and he always stands so firmly on the need for equality for all. Nelson Mandela frequently mentioned the problems that AIDS, poverty, violence, lack of education, healt ...more
Eva
Inspirerend
Suwanee Khamsuk
Suwanee Khamsuk is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2015
Samii Mo
Samii Mo is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2015
Cayla Williams
Cayla Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Thapelo Ngoato
Thapelo Ngoato marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Christopher Mark
Christopher Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
SINETROBERT
SINETROBERT marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Yalelet Gashaw
Yalelet Gashaw marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Nahla
Nahla marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Shani
Shani marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Zaky
Zaky is currently reading it
May 28, 2015
Dezare Thomas
Dezare Thomas marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Gheorghina
Gheorghina is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2015
Kelley Binda
Kelley Binda marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Valeria Piedra
Valeria Piedra marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
  • Mandela: The Authorised Biography
  • A History of South Africa
  • Rabble-Rouser for Peace: The Authorized Biography of Desmond Tutu
  • A Human Being Died That Night: A South African Woman Confronts the Legacy of Apartheid
  • The Devil That Danced on the Water: A Daughter's Quest
  • Where We Have Hope: A Memoir of Zimbabwe
  • No Future Without Forgiveness
  • The Smell of Apples
  • Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles
  • Tales From a Troubled Land
  • Eight Days in September - The Removal of Thabo Mbeki
  • Some of My Best Friends are White: Subversive Thoughts from an Urban Zulu Warrior
  • Part of My Soul Went with Him
  • Mafeking Road: and Other Stories
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • No Turning Back: A Novel of South Africa
  • Diamonds, Gold, and War: The Making of South Africa
  • The Trouble with Africa: Why Foreign Aid Isn't Working
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a former President of South Africa, the first to be elected in a fully representative democratic election, who held office from 1994–99.

Before his presidency, Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist, and the leader of the African National Congress's armed wing Umkhonto we Sizwe. The South African courts convicted him on charges of sabotage, as well as other crimes com
More about Nelson Mandela...
Long Walk to Freedom Conversations With Myself Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folktales No Easy Walk to Freedom Long Walk To Freedom (Volume 1: 1918-1962)

“Everything seems impossible until it's done!” 6 likes