Start by marking “In His Own Words” as Want to Read:
In His Own Words

In His Own Words

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A collection of some of the most historic and inspirational addresses by one of the most renowned political leaders of our day.The most stirring voice to come out of South Africa, Nelson Mandela has brought his message of freedom, equality, and human dignity to the entire world. Now, for the first time, his most eloquent and important speeches are collected in a single vol ...more
Published December 2nd 2004 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about In His Own Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In His Own Words

missy jean
Jan 30, 2009 missy jean rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
550 pages of Nelson Mandela's speeches? Yes, please. Mandela is one of my heroes, so reading speeches from his amazing life (before he went to prison, while he was President, from his more recent humanitarian initiatives) has been a real joy. The book also includes essays on Mandela's legacy by people like Kofi Annan, Graca Machel, Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby.
Max Boukesse
Apr 22, 2010 Max Boukesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a collection of some of Nelson Mandela's great speeches from his release from prison up to after his presidency.

Some of my favorite quotes from this book:
"The most terrible walls, is the walls that grow up in the mind" N. Mandela
"...mistakes are inevitable element of any process of learning. It is always the case that the spectators are better than the players on the field" N. M.
"It is not where you start but how high you aim that matters for success" NM
"When you give up hope, you may as w
Shelby Delbert
Nov 10, 2014 Shelby Delbert rated it it was amazing
Larger than life!
Sabrina Neumann
Dec 30, 2013 Sabrina Neumann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book from the library on a whim and didn't realize until later that it was not a biography. Thought I would be bored to tears reading speeches, but it turns out I was wrong. While the speechless did tend to get a little repetitive towards the end they were still well worth reading. Mandela deserves every honour. A leader we should try to emulate.
~kris~
Aug 13, 2008 ~kris~ rated it it was amazing
Here is a leader that so clearly and eloquently presents the case of his people over and over again in speeches and writings. He could see the injustices and issues that hurt the people and his clarity of vision enabled him to be a respected leader unlike so many freedom fighters-turned oppressors throughout the African continent.
Stacy Parrish
Aug 16, 2007 Stacy Parrish rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who strive for Peace
I read this book my first year of teaching. Until then, I had never really studied about South Africa or about the life of Nelson Mandela. If I live my life accomplishing half of what he has done, I will leave this earth at peace.
Stephanie
Sep 10, 2012 Stephanie added it
Shelves: abandoned
I made it about halfway through this before it was due back at the library, and I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't enjoying it enough to renew it. So be it.
Tushar
Jun 28, 2012 Tushar rated it it was ok
Repetitive, Makes for an exhausting read and the same points are repeated over and over again, I would rather recommend the biography.
Corey
Aug 27, 2008 Corey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in great leaders
Shelves:
This so far is a great read about the Nelson's speaches and inserts in the life of a man we know as Nelson Mandela.
Rachel McQuoid
Apr 06, 2011 Rachel McQuoid rated it really liked it
this book is a collection of Nelson Mandelas speeches. truely inspiring, a true hero!
Jonathan
Sep 17, 2008 Jonathan rated it liked it
This book is a big collection of Nelson Mandela's speeches. It is a good book, as far as describing the political problems that face most of the countries on this planet. Nelson Mandela is an interesting person. He always stresses moving on and forgetting the bitterness from Apartheid's past, he believes strongly in compromising, and he always stands so firmly on the need for equality for all. Nelson Mandela frequently mentioned the problems that AIDS, poverty, violence, lack of education, healt ...more
Eva
Jul 24, 2008 Eva rated it really liked it
Inspirerend
Angelina Costa
Angelina Costa marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Anisha
Anisha marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Fedwa
Fedwa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Tee27
Tee27 marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Pamela Towela Sambo
Pamela Towela Sambo rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Lei Jia
Lei Jia marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Thabo
Thabo is currently reading it
May 13, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Guhan Chendurnathan
Guhan Chendurnathan marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Angela Dawn
Angela Dawn is currently reading it
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Wenda Johsua
Wenda Johsua marked it as to-read
Matthew Aaronson
Matthew Aaronson marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Bluecatblues
Bluecatblues rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Mk
Mk marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Vishal Karki
Vishal Karki marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
  • Mandela: The Authorised Biography
  • A History of South Africa
  • Rabble-Rouser for Peace: The Authorized Biography of Desmond Tutu
  • A Human Being Died That Night: A South African Woman Confronts the Legacy of Apartheid
  • Where We Have Hope: A Memoir of Zimbabwe
  • Shirley, Goodness & Mercy: A Childhood in Africa
  • The Devil That Danced on the Water: A Daughter's Quest
  • Tales From a Troubled Land
  • To My Children's Children
  • Some of My Best Friends are White: Subversive Thoughts from an Urban Zulu Warrior
  • Biko
  • Diamonds, Gold, and War: The Making of South Africa
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a former President of South Africa, the first to be elected in a fully representative democratic election, who held office from 1994–99.

Before his presidency, Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist, and the leader of the African National Congress's armed wing Umkhonto we Sizwe. The South African courts convicted him on charges of sabotage, as well as other crimes com
More about Nelson Mandela...

“វាតែងតែហាក់ដូចជាមិនអាចទៅរួចរហូតដល់វាធ្វើរួចរាល់។”