Start by marking “Days and Nights of Love and War” as Want to Read:
Days and Nights of Love and War

Days and Nights of Love and War

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  683 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
"Days and Nights succeeds not only because of its socio-political authenticity and lyrical style but because of its interweaving of anger and tenderness, elation and sorrow."
"--The Nation"

Days and Nights of Love and War is the personal testimony of one of Latin America's foremost contemporary political writers. In this fascinating journal and eloquent history, Eduardo Gale
Published October 1st 2000 by Monthly Review Press (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Days and Nights of Love and War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days and Nights of Love and War

Bell
Dec 19, 2007 Bell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: latino, international
a 5 for the audacity in existing and daring, for making no apologies, for keeping it real and still finding pearls of wisdom and joy through it all.

and for the profound reminder that writing and reading are still considered revolutionary acts in so many other parts of the world.

Atilio Frasson
Mar 24, 2016 Atilio Frasson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eduardo-galeano
Guerra de la calle, guerra del alma

¿Cuántas veces he sido un dictador? ¿Cuántas un inquisidor, un censor, un carcelero? ¿Cuántas veces he prohibido, a quienes más quería, la libertad y la palabra? ¿De cuantas personas me he sentido dueño? ¿A cuántas he condenado por cometer el delito de no ser yo? ¿No es la propiedad privada de las personas más repugnante que la propiedad privada de las cosas? ¿A cuanta gente usé, yo que me creía tan al margen de la sociedad de consumo? ¿No he deseado o celebrad
Peggy
Dec 21, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it
Shelves: latin-america, memoir
So this is what it was like to live in the southern cone during its dirty little war against the young. At first the fragmented, sparse, understated narrative voice reminded me of Henri Michaux and Jean Rhys. Later, I realized that the narrator is numb most of the time, due to the war waged against love, against the poor, against joy, by the machine, which is power, and which represents a major player in Latin American history.

This book was first published in translation in 1983 and describes G
Gautam Bhatia
Feb 11, 2016 Gautam Bhatia rated it really liked it
“Every day one of the prisoners stood up and read to the others. I wanted to tell you, Don Alejo, that the prisoners chose to read El siglo de las luces (Explosions in the Cathedral) and couldn’t. The guards allowed the book in, but the prisoners couldn’t read it. I mean, they began it several times and had to put it down. You made them feel the rain and smell the violent fragrances of the earth and the night. You brought them the sea the roar of the waves breaking against the keel of a boat and ...more
Gabriel
Oct 09, 2015 Gabriel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Libros que fluye con la melodia del autor, recobrando cada palabra perdida del horizonte a llegar y del monopolio de las dictaduras, los silencios y el sistema. Las penurias se apagan con llantos de palabras que a la vez producen crecimiento y creación. Este libro refleja eso.
Michael
No me gusto tanto como "Bocas del Tiempo". Como "Bocas del Tiempo", el libro camina entre mas de un genero. Periodismo investigativo, no es. Tal vez periodismo vivencial. O literatura periodistica. O algo en esas lineas. Lineas difusas.

Parece este un libro que Galeano escribe para el. Para no olvidar. Para recordar. Y al hacerlo, queda un testimonio (muy personal) de las atrocidades Latinoamericanas del siglo XX. Nuevamente escribe Galeano con sangre y con tripas, con una furia que fue tan clar
Gabrielle
Jul 18, 2013 Gabrielle rated it it was ok
I should like refined literature better. And indeed, Eduardo Galeano is a very good writer....but I hated it. The only reason I read this was for school (AKA not of my own free will)
Margaret Price
Dec 13, 2007 Margaret Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people missing latin america
my favorite book. of all time.
Indiabookstore
Jan 25, 2013 Indiabookstore rated it really liked it
If any book can claim to be Eduardo Galeano’s biography, it would be this. Days and Nights of Love and War is a mixture of autobiography and social critique. It is a testimony to Galeano’s loyalty to his unique style of writing which marries fact and fiction even as it combines ferocious passion with kindness and sensitivity. Even as he writes of his early days as an exile from his country his focus remains on telling the tales of suffering that would otherwise have gone unheard in a regime of b ...more
hellocarmel
Jul 12, 2015 hellocarmel rated it really liked it
Winner of the 1978 Casa de las Americas prize, this episodic book moves between reportage, fiction, diary, interview and travelogue to tell the story of a Latin America ravaged by exploitation and dictatorships. Despite having read Galeano's monumental 'Open Veins of Latin America', my knowledge of the history of this part of the world is still sketchy, so many of his references were unfortunately lost on me. But the power of his writing to evoke a true moment, an intense feeling, or collective ...more
Frank
Sep 13, 2009 Frank rated it liked it
Well, this book came at the reccomendation of Graham Hunt, who I think is trying to soften my hard-core-puppy-killing-conservative-heart. Anyway, it was good. Graham likes it because it collects stories of people and illustrates the difficulty that was (and is still) going on around Latin America. I thought part of what was good was the way Galeano describes the conflicts in terms of more than just casualty rates or economic data, but in terms of the silencing of ideas and voices, the control of ...more
Lizzie Eldridge
May 16, 2015 Lizzie Eldridge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eduardo Galeano's 'Days and Nights of Love and War' moved me in a way few books have the power to do. It is an extensive journey through the horrifying realities of Latin America during the 1970s. There is a seamless integration of the personal and the wider political landscape, with Galeano's journalistic accuracy interwoven with intensely beautiful, poetic and descriptive prose. The minute details of everyday lives merge with the brutal and overarching context of their existence, in which obli ...more
Eugenia
Aug 14, 2015 Eugenia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 21-cuentos, 02-ebooks
Es un libro increíble. Increíble creer que nuestras tierras hayan sufrido tanto horror. Con una genial narración de Galeano se puede llegar a sentir la opresión, el desarraigo, la ausencia, la sistemática tortura fisica, espiritual e intelectual de los pueblos. Gracias por este libro. Me alegra saber que tanto Galeano como otros que padecieron esas décadas pudieron volver a vivir en libertad y democracia.
Josephine Ensign
Jun 11, 2015 Josephine Ensign rated it liked it
A powerful and beautifully written book. Parts of it were painful to read (the senseless violence), but important to listen to. I look forward to reading more of his work.
Ayeen Karunungan
Apr 06, 2013 Ayeen Karunungan rated it really liked it
"For the peoples whose identity has been shattered by successive cultures of conquest, and whose merciless exploitation contributes to the functioning of the machinery of world capitalism, the system generates a 'mass culture.' Culture for the masses is a more precise description of this degraded art of the mass media, which manipulates consciousness, conceals reality, and stifles the creative imagination. Naturally it does not lead to a revelation of identity but is rather a means of erasing or ...more
Kathy Escalona
Nov 14, 2014 Kathy Escalona rated it really liked it
Frases y momentos que llenaron el vacío en el que me encontraba
Helen
Courageous
Vivid
Gurpreet Pannu
Oct 24, 2013 Gurpreet Pannu rated it it was amazing
Eduardo Galeano has this idiosyncratic way of presenting history as if it was a story, a tell-tale. This is a book of part non-fiction, part-poetry and also has short stories. It is just nourishment for a thirsty soul. He sometimes gives his thoughts and exasperation of his exile which is very rare because Eduardo never involves his personal life in his writing. It is just a book that you will want to re-read lest in case you forget some of it.
Delia De la fuente
Extraordinario!!
Mustafa
Nov 03, 2014 Mustafa rated it it was ok
It's got the same repetitive (and therefore jading) shock value as Game of Thrones. After a point, the reader's marginal utility in knowing of another character's death is miniscule.
Kristina
Nov 12, 2013 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro realmente bueno. En esta oportunidad es algo autobiográfico. Cada prosa corta, está bien escrita y llena de profundas reflexiones. Y a pesar de que no estén entrelazadas, son profundamente conmovedoras y les van encontrando el hilo de apoco.

Eduardo me ha sorprendido, su prosa es ligera, sencilla, pero detrás de ello está lo duro y lo cruel de la vida.
Spencer
Feb 11, 2009 Spencer rated it really liked it
Beautiful and lyrical if somewhat disjointed on the sentence level. Thematically he moves smoothly from vignette to vignette. Some lovely, some achingly sad. Wonderful account of the despair and hope of the regimes and injustices experienced throughout Latin America through the 60s and 70s.
Naty Hergenreder
Aug 17, 2013 Naty Hergenreder rated it it was amazing
Relatos autobiográficos de quien vivió las dictaduras - en simultaneo - de chile, uruguay y Argentina. perseguido latinoamericano, no deja de dolerse de la perdidas de sus amigos.
pero nos enseña que la alegría requiere coraje. Más que la tristeza.
Porque a la tristeza estamos acostumbrados.
Autumn
Jan 13, 2008 Autumn rated it it was amazing
I read this for a creative writing class at BYU. It's a collection of short essays (sometimes only a sentence or two long) on the author's experiences in Latin America. Beautifully written. I didn't sell it back after the semester was over, if that's any indication of the book's merit.
Oct 29, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I read this for my creative nonfiction writing class. I appreciated the beauty of Galeano’s writing, but I felt I would have enjoyed the book more if I understood the political situation of South America at the time Galeano writes about.
Cristobal
interesting, but at times tedious. his writing perhaps lean a bit too left for me, but nevertheless, he captures the brutal and unfair ways (mostly suffered by the ethnic and poor classes) that is latin america.
b bb bbbb bbbbbbbb
it portrays brutality in an accessible way but (inadvertently?) romanticizes struggle and oppression (nietzsche and camus have opinions on that). there were also a lot of nice moments.
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Fragmented and political and erotic. Perhaps it is merely his poetic voice that wins Galeano my sympathy. I loved this book in the 80s -- for me, it stands up on this second reading today.
Nico Carrasco
Jun 30, 2013 Nico Carrasco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gran libro. Galeano hace gala de una pluma muy fluida para contar muchas historias cortas sobre América Latina, sus tragedias y alegrías, todo esto mirado a través de sus experiencias.
Shelley Cater
May 20, 2009 Shelley Cater rated it it was amazing
I adore Eduardo Galeano. This book is composed of little vignettes, observations and bits of wisdom that I return to as a resource continually.
  • The Heart That Bleeds: Latin America Now
  • The Last Colonial Massacre: Latin America in the Cold War
  • Floodlines: Community and Resistance from Katrina to the Jena Six
  • Outlaw Woman: A Memoir of the War Years 1960-1975
  • Our Word is Our Weapon: Selected Writings
  • The Country Under My Skin: A Memoir of Love and War
  • Incognegro: A Memoir of Exile and Apartheid
  • The Gloria Anzaldúa Reader
  • Intimate Politics: How I Grew Up Red, Fought for Free Speech, and Became a Feminist Rebel
  • The Eagle's Throne
  • Their Morals and Ours
  • Scenes of Subjection: Terror, Slavery, and Self-Making in Nineteenth-Century America
  • Gone to Croatan: Origins of North American Dropout Culture
  • The Darker Nations: A People's History of the Third World
  • What Lies Beneath: Katrina, Race, and the State of the Nation
  • Zapata and the Mexican Revolution
  • Wobblies! A Graphic History of the Industrial Workers of the World
  • Ghostly Matters: Haunting And The Sociological Imagination
5822041
Eduardo Galeano was a Uruguayan journalist, writer and novelist. His best known works are Memoria del fuego (Memory of Fire Trilogy, 1986) and Las venas abiertas de América Latina (Open Veins of Latin America, 1971) which have been translated into twenty languages and transcend orthodox genres: combining fiction, journalism, political analysis, and history.

The author himself has proclaimed his ob
More about Eduardo Galeano...

“La memoria sabe de mí más que yo; y ella no pierde lo que merece ser salvado.” 15 likes
“Yo quería dar todo antes de que la muerte llegase, quedarme vacío, para que la hija de puta no encontrara nada que llevarse.” 14 likes