Days and Nights of Love and War

Days and Nights of Love and War

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  38 reviews
"Days and Nights succeeds not only because of its socio-political authenticity and lyrical style but because of its interweaving of anger and tenderness, elation and sorrow."
"--The Nation"

Days and Nights of Love and War is the personal testimony of one of Latin America's foremost contemporary political writers. In this fascinating journal and eloquent history, Eduardo Gale...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Monthly Review Press (first published January 1st 1978)

The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniMemoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakLife of Pi by Yann Martel
Foreign Lands
404th out of 1,115 books — 1,011 voters
The Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanThe Free by M. GillilandThe Mass Psychology of Fascism by Wilhelm ReichDogs of Orninica by Daniel UnedoLeftover Women by Leta Hong Fincher
Radical Reading for 2014
9th out of 37 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Bell
a 5 for the audacity in existing and daring, for making no apologies, for keeping it real and still finding pearls of wisdom and joy through it all.

and for the profound reminder that writing and reading are still considered revolutionary acts in so many other parts of the world.

Peggy
So this is what it was like to live in the southern cone during its dirty little war against the young. At first the fragmented, sparse, understated narrative voice reminded me of Henri Michaux and Jean Rhys. Later, I realized that the narrator is numb most of the time, due to the war waged against love, against the poor, against joy, by the machine, which is power, and which represents a major player in Latin American history.

This book was first published in translation in 1983 and describes G...more
Gabrielle
I should like refined literature better. And indeed, Eduardo Galeano is a very good writer....but I hated it. The only reason I read this was for school (AKA not of my own free will)
Margaret Price
Dec 13, 2007 Margaret Price rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people missing latin america
my favorite book. of all time.
Indiabookstore
If any book can claim to be Eduardo Galeano’s biography, it would be this. Days and Nights of Love and War is a mixture of autobiography and social critique. It is a testimony to Galeano’s loyalty to his unique style of writing which marries fact and fiction even as it combines ferocious passion with kindness and sensitivity. Even as he writes of his early days as an exile from his country his focus remains on telling the tales of suffering that would otherwise have gone unheard in a regime of b...more
Estefania
5 estrellas no son suficientes. Le pondría más si pudiera.
Días y noches de amor y odio es un libro casi autobiográfico. Se compone de memorias y anécdotas de Eduardo Galeano, que con su estilo único nos reata los hechos más significativos de su vida, los acontecimientos que lo han marcado de por vida. Pero si bien el libro cuanta sus propias experiencias, o las de las personas que conoció, también es una parte de la historia de cada habitante latinoamericano, porque lo que el relata fueron los h...more
Frank
Well, this book came at the reccomendation of Graham Hunt, who I think is trying to soften my hard-core-puppy-killing-conservative-heart. Anyway, it was good. Graham likes it because it collects stories of people and illustrates the difficulty that was (and is still) going on around Latin America. I thought part of what was good was the way Galeano describes the conflicts in terms of more than just casualty rates or economic data, but in terms of the silencing of ideas and voices, the control of...more
Ayeen Karunungan
"For the peoples whose identity has been shattered by successive cultures of conquest, and whose merciless exploitation contributes to the functioning of the machinery of world capitalism, the system generates a 'mass culture.' Culture for the masses is a more precise description of this degraded art of the mass media, which manipulates consciousness, conceals reality, and stifles the creative imagination. Naturally it does not lead to a revelation of identity but is rather a means of erasing or...more
Gurpreet Pannu
Eduardo Galeano has this idiosyncratic way of presenting history as if it was a story, a tell-tale. This is a book of part non-fiction, part-poetry and also has short stories. It is just nourishment for a thirsty soul. He sometimes gives his thoughts and exasperation of his exile which is very rare because Eduardo never involves his personal life in his writing. It is just a book that you will want to re-read lest in case you forget some of it.
Kristina
Es un libro realmente bueno. En esta oportunidad es algo autobiográfico. Cada prosa corta, está bien escrita y llena de profundas reflexiones. Y a pesar de que no estén entrelazadas, son profundamente conmovedoras y les van encontrando el hilo de apoco.

Eduardo me ha sorprendido, su prosa es ligera, sencilla, pero detrás de ello está lo duro y lo cruel de la vida.
Spencer
Beautiful and lyrical if somewhat disjointed on the sentence level. Thematically he moves smoothly from vignette to vignette. Some lovely, some achingly sad. Wonderful account of the despair and hope of the regimes and injustices experienced throughout Latin America through the 60s and 70s.
Naty Hergenreder
Relatos autobiográficos de quien vivió las dictaduras - en simultaneo - de chile, uruguay y Argentina. perseguido latinoamericano, no deja de dolerse de la perdidas de sus amigos.
pero nos enseña que la alegría requiere coraje. Más que la tristeza.
Porque a la tristeza estamos acostumbrados.
Autumn
I read this for a creative writing class at BYU. It's a collection of short essays (sometimes only a sentence or two long) on the author's experiences in Latin America. Beautifully written. I didn't sell it back after the semester was over, if that's any indication of the book's merit.
I read this for my creative nonfiction writing class. I appreciated the beauty of Galeano’s writing, but I felt I would have enjoyed the book more if I understood the political situation of South America at the time Galeano writes about.
Cristobal
interesting, but at times tedious. his writing perhaps lean a bit too left for me, but nevertheless, he captures the brutal and unfair ways (mostly suffered by the ethnic and poor classes) that is latin america.
bbbbbbrr
it portrays brutality in an accessible way but (inadvertently?) romanticizes struggle and oppression (nietzsche and camus have opinions on that). there were also a lot of nice moments.
Elizabeth
Fragmented and political and erotic. Perhaps it is merely his poetic voice that wins Galeano my sympathy. I loved this book in the 80s -- for me, it stands up on this second reading today.
Nico Carrasco
Gran libro. Galeano hace gala de una pluma muy fluida para contar muchas historias cortas sobre América Latina, sus tragedias y alegrías, todo esto mirado a través de sus experiencias.
Shelley Cater
I adore Eduardo Galeano. This book is composed of little vignettes, observations and bits of wisdom that I return to as a resource continually.
Dan Danger
Galeano discusses oppression from his perspective as a magazine editor, father, son, and friend. This book lives up to its fantastic title.
Hunter
Truly beautiful and haunting, about both living and writing at a time when everything seemed to matter and mean so much more.
Jessica
I read from this all the time..It was my go to book....for inspiration and distraction....so truthful and filled with justice....
sonny singh suchdev
i love galeano. this one is somewhat autobiographical, really personal, and beautifully written and uplifting, as usual.
Sara
if you don't read anything else in this very readable book, definitely read the last bit "in defense of the word"
Jadrian Wooten
This book is rated 4.3 stars? I must have missed something because this book was atrocious.
Alejandra
Cuenta las historias de muchas vidas, cuenta la historia de la caída de casi todo un continente.
Deidre
One of my top ten for lines like this one: "Your body is the only country where I want to live."
Apollonia
The diary of a brave man that prefer to soffer the exile, pains for freedom and justice!
Mauro Daniel Aranda
Magico y tragico.. relatos de la epoca mas dura de toda Latinoamerica... conmovedor
Paulina
Hermoso y terrible a la vez. Para dedicarselo a la actual "centro derecha" chilena.
  • The Heart That Bleeds: Latin America Now
  • Outlaw Woman: A Memoir of the War Years 1960-1975
  • Clandestine in Chile: The Adventures of Miguel Littín
  • The  Uncomfortable Dead
  • A Lexicon of Terror: Argentina and the Legacies of Torture (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Our Word is Our Weapon: Selected Writings
  • Reminiscences of the Cuban Revolutionary War: Authorized Edition
  • Villains of All Nations: Atlantic Pirates in the Golden Age
  • Antes del fin
5822041
Eduardo Galeano is a Uruguayan journalist, writer and novelist. His best known works are Memoria del fuego (Memory of Fire Trilogy, 1986) and Las venas abiertas de América Latina (Open Veins of Latin America, 1971) which have been translated into twenty languages and transcend orthodox genres: combining fiction, journalism, political analysis, and history.

The author himself has proclaimed his obs...more
More about Eduardo Galeano...
Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent The Book of Embraces Soccer in Sun and Shadow Upside Down: A Primer for the Looking-Glass World Mirrors: Stories of Almost Everyone

“La memoria sabe de mí más que yo; y ella no pierde lo que merece ser salvado.” 8 likes
“Yo quería dar todo antes de que la muerte llegase, quedarme vacío, para que la hija de puta no encontrara nada que llevarse.” 6 likes