Start by marking “God of Her Fathers” as Want to Read:

God of Her Fathers

Ellen is the adoring wife of manly settler John Walden. When an unexpected tragedy claims his life, however, she finds herself brokenhearted and terrifyingly alone. Life on the bleak prairies is harsh, and she is desperate for the means to survive.

When a debonair stranger abruptly appears, Ellen is torn between accepting his offered help or struggling on alone. Tyler Nicho
Published February 20th 2014 by Alicia A. Willis (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about God of Her Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God of Her Fathers

Alicia Willis
Apr 01, 2014 Alicia Willis rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Historical-Fiction Readers, homeschoolers,
Now available on Kindle! A western tale of adventure, courage, and new beginnings, the twists and turns of God of Her Fathers will keep you guessing! Great for historical-fiction and western fans.
Feb 23, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Age Appropriate For: 10 and up some mild violence and very mild romance
Best for Ages: 10 and up

I have been working my way through some of the books on my Kindle and decided to read this one day. I have been a huge fan of Willis’ writing since her very first book. Her short stories are a delightful taste of what readers can expect from her novels: good history and good story telling.

This story was one of those that is bitter-sweet. It starts out sweet with a newlywed couple starting out their liv
Joshua
Mar 07, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alicia Willis did a superb job covering the emotional and adventurous story of the heroine, Ellen Walden. I recommend anyone read it that enjoys historical fiction, or pioneer/western stories.
Taylor
Aug 02, 2013 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, favorites
Amazing! I was deeply surprised at the skill and vividness with which this was written. I could almost feel the hot prairie dust on my skin, hear the galloping hoof beats, and the bullets flying!
Full of excitement, drama, chivalry and even the tiniest hint of romance, this little book was the perfect read!
I would recommend this as appropriate for all ages and most enjoyed by 12 and up. And especially enjoyed by lovers of the old West! Like me!
Micaiah
May 28, 2014 Micaiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

I cannot believe how quickly I finished God of Her Fathers. It really only took me two hours to devour it! I have been looking for another book to read of late, and this was a fantastic answer.

God of Her Fathers is a novella telling the story of Ellen Walden. She and her husband, John, moved out to the prairie, where they were building a life for themselves on the lonely land. When tragedy strikes and takes John's life, Ellen is left alone with her newborn son. But alon
Lydia Hoppman
Jul 08, 2013 Lydia Hoppman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hauntingly beautiful in style, and in the story line itself. The descriptions are amazing and I love the character of Ellen. Fantastic job with accuracy in the time period Alicia Willis! Wonderful, drama-filled, lots of adventure, lively and yet somehow sad, while giving hope. A great example of trusting in God, as does Ellen, in the God Of Her Fathers!! A real thought provoking story!
Anita Strother
Mar 04, 2013 Anita Strother rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! This book spoke to my heart about how hard it is to loose a spouse and feel alone in the world. A great reminder that no matter what heartache we endure our Heavenly Father will never forsake us. Thanks for another wonderful book, Alicia!
Bekah
Jan 10, 2014 Bekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book; Alicia did a great job incorporating emotion, adventure, and many other things into this novella. I felt like I was really in that time period.
Allison Hawbaker
Jan 01, 2015 Allison Hawbaker rated it really liked it
I started reading when I had an hour to wait and I finished it within that hour. The character development was good the characters interesting and the message good. I really enjoyed it.
Esther Filbrun
Jan 17, 2014 Esther Filbrun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, but especially those who like historical fiction novels
This is a beautiful story. Good job, Alicia! I really enjoyed how quick the read was, and also really enjoyed the fact that the characters seemed pretty deep. It's a story well worth reading.
Kelsey Hoppman
Mar 07, 2013 Kelsey Hoppman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, Alicia. Beautiful writing and certainly an engaging story. :-)
Liberty Baehr
Sep 20, 2016 Liberty Baehr rated it it was amazing
I really liked this Novella - not only was I able to read it in 3 nights (instead of 3 weeks like the last Alicia Willis book).  I really liked the 2 main characters & felt carried away to the old West with them.  (My first western historical fiction book). She reminded me of myself when she second-guessed herself.  No, you can't trust everyone... There are people out there who will do bad things to you... but sometimes you have to trust someone... & don't ever stop trusting God.  He is ...more
Ysa
Hang on a little while, and I'll have a spoiler-less review on here. :o ) For now I'll just say that it was a totally awesome book.
Kelsey Bryant
Apr 16, 2016 Kelsey Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great, smooth read that kept me interested and guessing till the end. The writing is beautiful and the action scenes are positively heart-pounding! The setting was almost tangible.
John
John rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Lauren Lotter
Lauren Lotter rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Josiah
Josiah rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Lea
Lea rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Tom Harris
Tom Harris rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Hannah Bowen
Hannah Bowen rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Ashley Gordon
Ashley Gordon rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Ari
Ari rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2014
Kiki
Kiki rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Penelope A May
Penelope A May rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Emily J.
Emily J. rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2013
Amanda Tero
Amanda Tero rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Ysa
Ysa rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Lientjie
Lientjie rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Naomi
Naomi rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Morgan-Britney Hawksley
Morgan-Britney Hawksley marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Rachelle Raymond
Rachelle Raymond marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Jonida
Jonida marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Daniel
Daniel added it
Dec 18, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Christian Singer
Christian Singer marked it as to-read
May 24, 2013
Hannah
Hannah added it
Aug 03, 2013
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Melisa
Melisa marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Olivia
Olivia added it
Dec 23, 2013
Heather Lowe
Heather Lowe marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Joelle
Joelle marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Jaye Knight
Jaye Knight marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
TW
TW marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Ashlee Vanasse
Ashlee Vanasse marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Amber Schamel
Amber Schamel marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Alicia Ruggieri
Alicia Ruggieri marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Christian Books -...: Kindle Countdown 1 12 May 26, 2014 12:01PM
Alicia Willis is a homeschool graduate and avid historian. When not writing or doing endless historical research, she enjoys being a church pianist, teaching music, singing, and playing volleyball. Her other passions include working in her church and spreading the love of Jesus Christ. She also manages a monthly e-newsletter entitled "Little Corners". Be sure to like her FB page for updates: https ...more
More about Alicia A. Willis...

“Tyler Nichols. Ellen grimaced dryly–the name sounded like a character from a book. And not necessarily a book she trusted the outcome of either. Everything about it had the ring of a bank robber or horse thief.” 0 likes