Start by marking “A Christmas Kiss” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Kiss

A Christmas Kiss

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A gift to treasure...
When James Everard announced that he had invited a young lady home for the holidays, his father, the Earl of Gyllford, was astounded and skeptical. Could it be that Jamie was finally showing an interest in something other than horseplay with his friends?

But when lovely Miss Evalyn Pennington arrived at Gyllford Manor, it was the earl who found himself
Published December 1st 1990 by Jove (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Kiss

Lord Carew's Bride by Mary BaloghReforming Lord Ragsdale by Carla    KellyThe Temporary Wife by Mary BaloghMrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla    KellySummer Campaign by Carla    Kelly
Traditional Regency
393rd out of 460 books — 186 voters
A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensSleeping with Santa by Debra DruzyThe Lady Most Willing... by Julia QuinnNor Doth He Sleep by John M. SimmonsA World of Joy by Christopher  Shields
10 Great Holiday Reads
44th out of 54 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Miranda Davis
Jul 06, 2013 Miranda Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: G. Heyer fans, Regency lovers, traditional 'clean' Regency seekers
Regarding A Christmas Kiss: This is an old-school Regency, very much in the Georgette Heyer vein. And it's delightful! An excellent Regency featuring witty, low-key characters that live and breathe the period.

Having witnessed a besotted friend cause his family's governess to be turned off without character before Christmastime, a gallant young heir to an earldom and another, lisping lordly friend decide to rescue her. They plot to help her find a new post by having her invited to join his family
Mary Chen *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
This is such a delightfully funny Traditional Regency. I greatly enjoyed all the characters with their own unique quirkiness - some intended solely as fools - but the spirit of love and Christmas brought in all well-suited pairing, except for one poor Jamie. The story is fluffy, but it's a very cute fluff, and with well written historical details too, especially with regards to ladies' clothing of the day.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this, and would recommend it to any fan of tender, lighthearted
Julianna
Jan 04, 2011 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Traditional Regencies, Sweet Romances, Fairy Tale Themed Romances
Reviewed for THC Reviews
A Christmas Kiss was a gentle, sweet, romantic story that helped to put me in the Christmas spirit. It was a Cinderella-style tale of a lowly governess who has nowhere to go for Christmas and then fortuitously gets invited to the country house party of an Earl with whom she almost immediately falls in love. Even though it was based in large part on two of my least favorite romance tropes, a misunderstanding and love at first sight, I still couldn't help but enjoy it. The
Qnpoohbear
When Miss Evalyn Pennington, a penniless governess, is accosted by her employer's besotted son Geoffrey, Evalyn is turned off without a character. Her only choice is to go to a distant relative in London and hope to find a position. Geoffrey's friends are aghast at his treatment of Miss Pennington and hit upon the perfect solution. Jamie Everard will ask his father, the Earl of Gyllford and his Aunt Clarissa to invite Miss Pennington home for the holidays. Once Aunt Clarissa meets Evalyn, she wi ...more
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
This is a wonderful, very sweet, feel-good comedy of errors, reminiscent of Shakespeare's own comedies, that had me glued to the page, so I breezed right through it, even chuckling aloud in some places as I read.

The characters are certainly unforgettable, so real that, once the book is closed for the last time, the reader feels bereft, wishing that the story could go on and on... At least, this reader did. I shall have to re-read it at some time in the near future. And here I thought I wouldn't
Spazfungus
too many missed chances for proper communication lead to a parody of sorts in which no one quite speaks there mind so miscommunication ensues leading to chaos.
Beeface
Should be 4.5 stars .... KEEPER SHELF... need I say more?
Pilar
I'm giving this as a gift to a friend.
Angie
This book club pick was intended for a light read over the holidays. More of an old English comedy rather than a romance, the story is about several misunderstandings and eventually a happy ever after, just like a Disney movie. My favorite part of the book were the silly character’s names such as Lord Gyllford, Gervaise, Reginald (Reggie) Windle and the twins Freddy and Teddy. Best of all was the protagonist named Evalyn Pennington and her antagonist named Sally TrEVELYN. Sneaky eh?
willaful
Nice traditional Regency romance; although the plot revolves around a misunderstanding, just about everyone involved is gracious, mature and good-natured. (With the exception of the obvious villains.) The niceness eventually got a little dull, but it was a pleasant read.
Onyeka Nwakobi
Onyeka Nwakobi is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Djinnk
Djinnk marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Amimikey
Amimikey marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Tristi Palmer
Tristi Palmer marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
RIF
RIF marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
MostlyDelores
MostlyDelores marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Mercury & Jupiter
Mercury & Jupiter marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Rettah
Rettah marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Elizabeth Mansfield is the author of numerous regency romances. She is an intelligent and thoughtful writer, a hidden gem whose novels deserve to be more widely read and enjoyed.

Elizabeth Mansfield is the pen name of the talented Paula Reibel Schwartz. Ms Schwartz also wrote different genres under the pen names Paula Reibel, Paula Reid, and Paula Jonas.
More about Elizabeth Mansfield...
The Phantom Lover The Fifth Kiss Her Man of Affairs The Bartered Bride A Christmas Kiss and Winter Wonderland