Start by marking “Fields of Home” as Want to Read:
Fields of Home

Fields of Home

After fighting her way through a bitter and hurtful past, Mercedes Johnson has painstakingly carved out a life of quiet contentment on a Wyoming farm with her husband, Wayne, and their three sons. Together she and Wayne have survived the worst trials a couple can face, and their relationship has grown as solid and lasting as the farmland beneath their feet. If their ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Shadow Mountain (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fields of Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fields of Home

Kami
Mar 20, 2008 Kami rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was a continuation of the book "Flying Home". It followed Mercedes through her painstaking realization of past regrets, an old flame, and the life she has made for herself. When this old flame comes back into her life it threatens to turn her world upside down. It questions her marriage and the truth of what happened in the past. I really enjoyed reading more about this character. The story had its twists and turns which I love. The characters were real and believable. Overall, I think ...more
Anne
Mar 13, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing
This is another excellent novel by Rachel Ann Nunes. The poignant story drew me in and created immediate sympathy for several characters. It's a book that can make a huge difference in the lives of young adult readers as they make important and lasting life choices. Highly recommended no matter what the age.
Shannon
Jul 23, 2008 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
Mercedes Johnson and her husband Wayne live on a farm in Wyoming and are happy with their life, despite the challenges. Until Brandon Rhodes, an old boyfriend and birth father of Mercedes' oldest son, comes back into town. Mercedes never told Brandon she was pregnant when he left at the end of his residency, and he has just found out he has a son, a son he's desperate to know since cancer has made it impossible for him to ever have any more children. How Mercedes, Wayne and Brandon deal with the ...more
Karen
Jul 20, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Dorry Lou
Jun 28, 2012 Dorry Lou rated it really liked it
This was a totally different book than Nunes usually writes. I really enjoyed it and did stay puzzled about how it would end until almost the end. There were some good messages in the book. The story was about a girl on a Wyoming farm with a pretty unstable life. However she goes to college and gets in the medical field where she falls for Brandon Rhodes who is just beginning medicine. He leaves to become a renowned heart surgeon and leaves her behind. Little does he know he has his child and ...more
Lorie
Aug 15, 2009 Lorie rated it it was amazing
What if you married a good, stable man when the man of your genuine young passions simply left you? What if you made a wonderful, stable life with your good man, and then the man of your passions showed up again? How do you make decisions about yourself, your husband, your children, your ethics, your life, and the man of your genuine young passions? To what should you be true? How do you CARE about being true?

This book made me consider a lot of things in my own past, and empathize deeply with th
Kelli
May 23, 2011 Kelli rated it liked it
Shelves: lds
This was definitely not as much of a page turner as Flying Home was, in fact it seemed to repeat itself a little bit. She probably could have told the same story in a lot less pages. However, I still liked it. I really like how she emphasizes commitment and how important it is to love the person that you chose to be with instead of always thinking about how life would be if you had chosen another path. I especially liked the part at the end where it talks about how people give up something good ...more
Bridget
Aug 25, 2008 Bridget rated it liked it
Recommended to Bridget by: Naiah Earhart
Janyse
Aug 07, 2011 Janyse rated it really liked it
Okay...I give up. I like Rachel Ann Nunes. I've fought it, I know, but I actually have found the two books I've read to be nice. Kind of an LDS equivalent of Nicholas Sparks--dramatic situation that needs resolving...no preaching, no religion.

This is the kind of light, clean book I have needed this summer...prepare yourselves for several more Nunes reviews. I'm a sucker for them right now. Back to more "difficult" literature later. =)
Andrea
Oct 08, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
When I first started this book I wondered if I'd read it before. Much of the story seemed so familiar. I was pretty sure I hadn't read it, and wondered if the story was stolen from another book. And then it hit me that I'd read another book by this author that talked about some of the characters in this book. Then it all made sense.

It was another fast read. I liked the idea of the story, although I was torn about what would happen.
Cecily
May 08, 2008 Cecily rated it really liked it
I have read other books by Rachel Nunes and this is my favorite so far. This one seems to have a more universal appeal and deals with themes many of us face at some point in life--reqret and wondering whether we can have a "do over" in some things. I found the characters true to life and the plot was well-constructed, with only a few minor weak spots. I hadn't read "Flying Home" but plan to go back and do that!
Swhe641200
Dec 29, 2010 Swhe641200 rated it liked it
Mercedes fall in love with Brandon goets Ignorant he leave for Boston. She marries Wayne and has two more boys. Joseph, Darrell is her first born. She has a baby Lucy who dies at age two with heart problems. She is happy with Wayne until Brandon shows up 13 years later and wants Darrell in her life. When Wayne has a heart attack she realizes who much she lvoes him and how happy she has been Brandon has cancer.
Cydnie
May 29, 2009 Cydnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction, series
'Fields of Home' is another sequel of sorts to 'Flying Home'. It continues the story of Mercedes and Wayne. They live a peaceful life on the family farm in Wyoming. That peace threatens to be shattered with the appearance of Mercedes former love, Brandon, who has just discovered that he is the father of Mercedes' oldest son.
Nunes writes an enjoyable novel, good characters & story, and all without questionable language or scenes [THANK YOU!:]
Kristy
Aug 28, 2009 Kristy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book!! It really got me thinking about how much all of the choices we make affect our future and those around us so much. Also, it made me think about how important it is not to live in the past and "what ifs" but to enjoy the here and now and make the most with what you have. I couldn't put the book down, especially by half way through. Definitely a must read!
Rebecca
Oct 03, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
Between 3.5 and 4 stars. Mercedes comes to find that her life the way it is is what she's always wanted. It took a bit of shaking up for her to realize this, but isn't that what normally happens with all of us. The grass is always greener somewhere else until we are faced with the somewhere else and we realize how good we had it.
Kristen
Nov 03, 2010 Kristen rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book of Merecedes and her husband Wayne. You felt her inner battles of her first love returning and then the comfortable love of her husband and family. I didn't know how it would end, but I liked the whole book. Come to find out it is kind of a sequel to Flying Home so I guess I will read that book also.
Lacey
Sep 14, 2008 Lacey rated it really liked it
This book is a spin off a small charecter in her book flying home. I actually enjoyed this book more then flying home. The emotions that were being described with each charecter felt so real to me. This novel didn't feel so "cheesy" to me but it felt real. It brought out real problems that people face everyday.
Judie
May 20, 2008 Judie rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed the story and the use of journal entries to review the past while reading about the present. I didn't know there was an earlier book, so I might have to read that as well. Life doesn't always work out so neatly, but I was glad there was a good resolution for everyone in this story. When I read, I enjoy having things work out.
Ann
Aug 03, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it
This book was a continuation of the characters of the book Flying Home. I enjoyed both of the books and found the characters to be very believable. The book was very enjoyable and I read it all in one day.
Melissa M.
Mar 26, 2010 Melissa M. rated it it was ok
This book was a dissapointment. The story was good, but SO SLOW and didn't really have a climactic point. I was bummed because I'm usually happy with this author's stories, but it just didn't happen this time. Oh well.
Heather
Feb 11, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
I didn't like this as much as Flying Home. The main point of the story seemed obvious. I felt like the main character never showed her strong personality-- she was always reacting, rather than acting. ("Grade: B-".)
Laurie
May 16, 2008 Laurie rated it liked it
I liked this book...but the ending was too convenient for the storyline. I feel that more should have been put into the ending.
It wasn't as good as Flying Home, (the book that was written before this one). They can be read seperately, but more is understood if read in order.
Chelsea Funk
Sep 03, 2008 Chelsea Funk rated it it was amazing
Another one of my must read authors. This is a good read also that I could not put down. Rachel Nunes knows how to add in a little bit of everyday life so that it makes you know that you can make it through your tough days and life will be better at the end. She is great LDS author.
Diane Mueller
Nov 07, 2013 Diane Mueller rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Very touching. Well written . I felt for everyone in the story and the author wrote so you could feel what each were feeling and understand their feelings fairly. What you want might be right in front of you all along.
Julia
Jun 25, 2011 Julia rated it it was ok
Definitely not my favorite by Rachel Ann Nunes. I should've read the fine print more carefully before starting this book, because then I would've known beforehand about how this story was about a paternity issue. Not a fan of this subject, for the most part.
Shelli
Feb 16, 2009 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
This was a fast read that keeps your interest the whole time. Nice to read a book that you don't have to really think a lot through. A feel good and enjoyable book.
Rick
Aug 13, 2010 Rick rated it did not like it
This was the worst boko of Rachel Ann Nunes that I have read. If it was the first book I read of hers, I would not read another.
Amy
Feb 20, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-reads
I liked this book. It gets you involved with the characters right away and I was hooked. It was a fast read and a good story-a love story but not too mushy!
Megan
Apr 18, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
3 is almost too generous. Nicholas Sparks-esc but not as good. A bit depressing but an overall good story. It needed an epilogue to tie things up a little better.
Heather
Mar 19, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
  • A Dance to Remember (Keane-Morrison Family Saga, #4)
  • Unsung Lullaby
21980
Rachel Ann Nunes (pronounced noon-esh) learned to read when she was four and by seventh grade knew she was going to be an author. Now as a stay-at-home mother of seven, it isn't easy to find time to write, but she will trade washing dishes or weeding the garden for an hour at the computer any day! Her only rule about writing is to never eat chocolate at the computer. "Since I love chocolate and ...more
More about Rachel Ann Nunes...