Start by marking “Fodor's Paris 2005 (Fodor's Gold Guides)” as Want to Read:
Fodor's Paris 2005 (Fodor's Gold Guides)

Fodor's Paris 2005 (Fodor's Gold Guides)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Find a hidden gem in the Western world's greatest art collection, nab a seat at the existentialists' favorite café, wander the most bohemian streets, inhale the aroma of the biggest cheese tray, or hit one of the last authentic cabarets —Fodor's Paris 2005 offers all these experiences and more! Our local writers have explored Paris, to find the best hotels, restaurants, at ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Fodor's (first published December 12th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Fodor's Paris 2005, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fodor's Paris 2005

switterbug (Betsey)
Dec 11, 2012 switterbug (Betsey) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone going to Paris
Note that I have yet to go to Paris; I am going in the spring of 2013. If you would like to measure this book's worth based on a review from someone who has been before, then skip this one. However, I think there is something valid to be said for a Paris newbie trying to navigate unknown territory through a guidebook.

I originally thought that first order of business was finding a hotel. However, I realized later, after learning more about Paris, that I wanted location to be my primary factor, as
Sharon
Nov 29, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fodor's Paris 2013 book is the latest guide I've read in preparation for a trip next year. What sets this book apart from the others is the tips and insights from TripAdvisor website users, in addition to the information provided by the travel writers.

The book is well-written, and the photographs and maps are great. However, I find myself with the same complaint about this book that I've had with a couple of others: the book is not arranged by arrondissement (district) -- although the travel
Steven Peterson
May 27, 2010 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I was in Paris. But I like picking up guides from time to time to renew my acquaintance with the "City of Lights."

This book is another fine addition to Fodor's library. The book provides a basic background to the city; it has brief discussions of the various parts of the city (e.g., Ile de la Cite and Ile St-Louis, most enchanting; The Champs-Elysees; The Qaurtier Latin; and so on).

After a discussion of the areas within the city, we have chapters on nightlife, perfor
Ietrio
Apr 05, 2016 Ietrio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: practical
A decent guide of Paris. Nothing special, nothing fancy, yet quite complete.
Susan
Jun 17, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, travel
This turned out to be my favorite guide book for Paris. It was the only one I carried with me every day. It offered a wide range of information, maps for all areas of the city, and sufficient write ups of restaurants and hotels to allow for reasonably well informed decision making. We chose our hotel from this book (Henri IV Rive Gauche) and we were very happy there. The descriptions were accurate and I like that it gave both pros and cons.
jessica
Jan 10, 2008 jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents visiting in paris, but get them another map
no offense "62capecodmom," but the fact that you bought a green day book that has french in it and reminds you of paris when you open it doesn't really do much for me.

the map in this book is TERRIBLE. i live in paris and it doesn't make sense, and my parents came to visit and lost their faith in maps as well because of it.

Good for people who are clueless about coming to Paris, but mostly not that useful.
Tara Choate
It's hard to rate this kind of book simply because I haevn't been to Paris... I'm just researching. However, they always seem to me to be a sort of checklist/review tool for someone who wants to "see everything." For my purposes (planning) I only found one page really useful. Still, Fodor's is a classic for a reason. Good prose, good pics, good tips.
Sylvia Ttl
Aug 13, 2013 Sylvia Ttl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, france
This book came really handy during our Paris trip. Thanks to its colourful illustrations, Insightful comments, useful tips and updated information. We actually managed to beat all the long queues and enter the Louvre ahead of many tour groups.
Cian O hAnnrachainn
You can't just go to Paris and spend a boatload of cash and not be prepared to wring every drop of value from the investment.

All I need now are a cupla focal de francais & I'm good to go.
Marion
Nov 22, 2010 Marion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, french-paris
I've read this pretty much cover-to-cover and I have to say I'm very impressed. This guide has been very helpful for my planning and will certainly be even more helpful during my trip.
{eri}
Mar 08, 2012 {eri} rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I ever read a guidebook all the way through! Just what the do ordered :] very informative and I loved all the pictures. I learned about lots of cool spots
Bonnie
Mar 19, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I got better information from my DK Eyewitness Travel France 2012 than I did from this book. Also, I wish there had been more pictures.
Shauna
Mar 02, 2011 Shauna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, 2011
Not often I read a guidebook cover to cover but this was a goodun. Very useful and the zipout map in the back was great too.
Tamara
Mar 16, 2013 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, non-fiction
You know, it's a travel book. Actually, a travel ebook, but you know.
Bill Whalen
Jul 22, 2010 Bill Whalen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't put it down. I'm leaving Tuesday!
Cloay
Mar 30, 2011 Cloay marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
- available in SG NLB 914.436 (Sengkang)
Bridget
Jun 09, 2012 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful travel book!
John Milton
John Milton marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Haijiao
Haijiao rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Chloe
Chloe added it
Jan 26, 2016
Marykluver
Marykluver rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Leora Leora
Leora Leora rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Marcia Williams
Marcia Williams rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Rick Steves' Amsterdam, Bruges & Brussels 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • London A-Z
  • Lonely Planet Paris
  • Istanbul (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • France (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Top 10 London (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • The Rough Guide to Japan
  • Conditioning for Dance: Training for Peak Performance in All Dance Forms
  • Dungeons and Dragons Rules Cyclopedia
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • Istanbul (Lonely Planet City Guide)
  • Paris Revealed: The Secret Life of a City
  • Forever Paris: 25 Walks in the Footsteps of the City's Most Illustrious Figures
  • The Pointe Book: Shoes, Training & Technique
  • Winning Chess Strategies, revised
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Eastern Region
  • World Heritage Sites: A Complete Guide to 878 UNESCO World Heritage Sites