Start by marking “The Weeping Willow Sings” as Want to Read:
The Weeping Willow Sings

The Weeping Willow Sings

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  27 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A WEEPING WILLOW, an unfinished painting, and the ghost of a man who discovers that death didn't end his problems; it only made them harder to resolve. Is suicide the only solution to unconquerable mental pain? John O'Brien believes it is - until he kills himself and is thrown into an after-life he never expected. John's fifteen-year-old daughter, Maggie, almost dies ...more
Published March 21st 2014 by Billie Jean Grable (first published November 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Weeping Willow Sings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weeping Willow Sings

Amy Taricco
Jan 11, 2013 Amy Taricco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really stirred something in me. I don't normally read paranormal, let alone teen fiction. But the characters in this book stole my heart in the first few pages. A story of a father's suicide due to mental illness and his tumultuous journey to a peacful afterlife, it really gets you thinking about family relationships and the ties that truly bind us together. With funny and poignant teenage banter and angst thrown in, it's well balanced.

You'll be in for quite a ride as the teenage daugh
Priya
This was an amazing book! I love supernatural books, so I was really excited to read this one! The story drew me in right from the beginning, and I really felt a connection with the characters. I loved how the story unfolded after John's death and along with it all the little secrets and mysteries were solved.

This is a book that everyone should read :)
Lisa Brennan
Oct 20, 2013 Lisa Brennan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book! I was hooked from the beginning. It had it all love, sadness, courage, paranormal. I normally just read horror, but it was good to read something that was believable and had a happy ending.
Kim
Oct 20, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying I don't normally read paranormal books. They usually seem so far fetched that I give up. But this book was an exception.

Billie made those characters come alive. I really felt for Maggie. She was an exceptional person and just never gave up. I had times when I was really mad at John and Nora and wanted to give them both shakes and yell at them. That was how much the characters got into my head.

The part that I think might have been left out (and that is why I gave this 4 ins
Heidi Thomas
Sep 07, 2013 Heidi Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Billie Grable's debut novel sings! It drew me in from the first page and kept me turning pages to the end. Billie has done a great job of developing her characters and showing the emotional turmoil they endure. It is a wonderful story of love, loss, and redemption. I recommend it for both adults and young adults.
Lyn Midden
I won this book on Goodreads. This is a wonderfully written book about loss, grief, love, and forgiveness. it is easy to feel a connection with the characters and feel their emotions jump off the page.
Megan
Jun 11, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I am a sucker for Catholic musing, mental illness and a touch of the mysticism.
Alana Spence
May 14, 2015 Alana Spence rated it did not like it
I was really looking forward to this book based on the concept, summary, and reviews. I've never felt so let down by a book. You guys, it is so bad and so overdramatic and even their real-world story was unrealistic. The ghost of John was stupidly described and was hardly put to use. The multiple points of view was confusing. I swear, had I known better, I would have assumed this was written by a 14-year-old girl. So much potential, but saying that it was poorly executed is an understatement. I ...more
Martina Dalton
Dec 17, 2015 Martina Dalton rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was a beautiful story. Depression is an issue that many families struggle with. In this case, the main character, John, has wrestled with it for most of his adult life. It was triggered by the fallout of his own mother's depression. But what I really loved was that the story was also told by his teenage daughter's point of view--which turns this novel about depression and loss into a moving, and uplifting coming-of-age tale.
Patricia
Jun 11, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it
John is an artist with mental problems when he commits suicide. John's daughter, Maggie does not believe John is dead. This is an interesting novel which explores what happens after death. In this novel the dead try to make amends to the living. The Weeping Willow Sings is well written.
Roselee
Jan 07, 2015 Roselee rated it did not like it
The entire time I was reading this book I was thinking about what I would say about it... none of the things were positive. The best thing about this book was the synopsis on the dust jacket that made me think it might be a good read. It wasn't.
Suzanna
Apr 10, 2015 Suzanna rated it really liked it
I received this book as a giveaway from GoodReads. The book was very well written and covered a subject that can be distressing and have repercussions by not being discussed.
Mike Caughey
Mike Caughey rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Denise Nicholas
Denise Nicholas rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Manal Ab
Manal Ab rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Tricia
Tricia rated it did not like it
Dec 28, 2015
Dave Bara
Dave Bara rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Nicole Green
Nicole Green rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
Linda Hirsh
Linda Hirsh rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2014
Shontell
Shontell rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2015
Elly
Elly rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Anelia Samovila
Anelia Samovila rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Randi Elliott
Randi Elliott rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Maren Higbee
Maren Higbee rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2014
Jason Ronbeck
Jason Ronbeck rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Josie Johnston
Josie Johnston marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Karen Bainbridge
Karen Bainbridge marked it as to-read
Melissa Herston
Melissa Herston marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Tasha Hart
Tasha Hart marked it as to-read
Melissa Dials
Melissa Dials marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Lisa Ann (Ketsy)
Lisa Ann (Ketsy) marked it as to-read
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Barbara Zitsch
Barbara Zitsch marked it as to-read
Rosanna-Michelle
Rosanna-Michelle marked it as to-read
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Vennie
Vennie marked it as to-read
Yoyoyo
Yoyoyo marked it as to-read
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Renee Booker
Renee Booker marked it as to-read
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Julie Hutchinson
Julie Hutchinson marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Tara-ann Smith
Tara-ann Smith marked it as to-read
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
  • Dying to Live: Running Backwards Through Cancer, Lupus and Chronic Illness
  • Finding God in the Bible: What Crazy Prophets, Fickle Followers and Dangerous Outlaws Reveal about Friendship with God
  • Zombie - A Love Story
  • Mindtouch (The Dreamhealers, #1)
  • Max's Choice (Elizabeth, #5)
  • Arctic Wings: A Story of Crime and Justice on the Northern Frontier
  • Learning to Breathe: A Mindfulness Curriculum for Adolescents to Cultivate Emotion Regulation, Attention, and Performance
  • Rowan Blaize and the Hand of Djin Rummy (Enchanted Heritage Chronicles, #2)
  • Dead Burn
  • The Puppy's Soul
  • North Sea Requiem
  • Children of the Tipi: Life in the Buffalo Days
  • Don't Know Where, Don't Know When
I am the fourth girl and middle child of seven children. Named after my Uncles, Bill and Gene, I have approached life in the offbeat way I was named, embracing the different and sometimes separate worlds I find myself in.
I graduated from high school in 1969 and after graduation went on to pursue my bachelor’s degree from the School of Hard Knocks. After successfully completing all required curricu
More about Billie Grable...